Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Morgana making GBS threads on Ryuji is weird because he did ask some pretty pertinent questions. It feels like the game is expecting us to side with Morgana because the mental cognition stuff is easy to understand as a player, but he's just a random teenager who got sucked into this poo poo. And he's quick to (correctly) point out that Morgana carrying a slingshot contradicts the entire reasoning behind fake guns doing real damage.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I don't hang out with any translators, professional or otherwise, but I have seen a lot of Yakuza 0. The Persona 5 translation is definitely competent, but it's still kind of awkward in places. There's a lot of times where you see a sentence and go "ok that is a technically a legitimate English sentence, but no one would ever actually express themselves that way in this situation".

Yakuza 0 is the opposite, where it's clear that the translators weren't shy about rewriting sentences wholesale to make them more natural sounding. If I hadn't seen the Yakuza translation then I wouldn't have consciously noticed any flaws in P5, but when you compare the two there's a definite contrast.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I managed to notice that the doctor has an accessory tab, but I'm most of the way through the game and never noticed the other thief tool tabs, whoops.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I am at a loss as to how you think bringing up age of consent in japan is going to result in less posts about how uncomfortable this stuff is

I don't think it's weird to be discussing this stuff seeing as it happened in the last update. It just plain feels really weird to be doing lots of pervy jokes about a teenager who was sexually abused. The birth of a Persona is meant to be emancipating and poo poo, but instead she gets turned into a sexy punchline by the game. I like the design of her persona though. It took me a while to notice she's standing on top of another heart-faced guy.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

It always seemed like a weird mechanic in a game with instakill spells. I mean I don't get a game over when Ryuji goes down. Is the rest of the team just completely incapable of using a revival item unless Joker is telling them to do it?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

The suicide is also the thing that pushes the MC and Ryuji from thinking "Is it really right to steal his treasure knowing there's a chance it will kill him?" to "Ok gently caress this guy he gets whats coming to him". It lets you empathize with the characters as not being remorseless killers, since they only act when really pushed.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

#Millenials is too perfect not to use given how much young people are being poo poo on in this game

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Deltasquid posted:

The item description in your inventory about Maaku's glasses state that they don't actually correct his vision but are just to look smart. (I'm not sure if Arist still has the glasses in his inventory to show it off, but I hope so.)

Haha, what an rear end in a top hat

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

Or it could be because he wants to look more harmless and hopefully mitigate the amount of poo poo he gets for being viewed as a criminal delinquent.

I don't watch much anime but I am pretty sure the villain in every series is always a guy with glasses, who pushes the glasses up on his nose so they reflect the light and become evil looking. Maaku is going to be defeated by a magical girl with a school uniform and a talking cat companion within a month at this rate.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

"I like their message but they're a fringe candidate who'll never get elected" is a pretty common thing to hear anywhere people vote. They should get to know him better. The Politician you Could Share A Beef Bowl With.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

On its own the nude model stuff would just come across as a little skeezy, but having it center on a victim of sexual harassment seems really tone deaf.

Also it seems weird that the flash-forwards with Sae specifically call out Madarame as being evil, and then you're still forced to go through the motions of "gee could Madarame really be evil?!" Kinda sucks the tension out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

We've seen with Futaba that having a Palace doesn't necessarily mean you'll harm people, so maybe Makoto was just hoping it was a strong desire for Sae to get a promotion or something and it would go away on its own.