Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Bonfire Ascetics are one of my favorite things in the game. I farmed up I don't even know how many Soul Vessels and crafting materials by using them

In any case, the best (read: most fun) weapons in the game are in the DLCs, and I hope Geop manages to find/show them off at some point. Though I don't think he'll do the DLCs until they all become available.

They're... kinda difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
The drumstick is the best weapon, especially with the heavy two handed attack.

See also:

BenRGamer posted:

They're... kinda difficult bullshit even by DS standards.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 4, 2017

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

gently caress the dlcs. I have all three, but the one I tried I got to a certain point and just gave up because it felt like such a slog. Didn't even bother with the other two.

Bonfire ascetics were the best for cheesing your way to becoming a super punch man.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

BenRGamer posted:

In any case, the best (read: most fun) weapons in the game are in the DLCs, and I hope Geop manages to find/show them off at some point. Though I don't think he'll do the DLCs until they all become available.

They're... kinda difficult.

While those DLC weapons maybe all fun (and very anime), i would not consider them ease-of-use. The mace (and the other stuff from Leningrast) are kind of the "gold standard", if you want to feel safe and being effective (=boring).

Drat. Now geop will never let go of his mighty mace.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

OutofSight posted:

you take that sentiment back right now

geop went and +9:ed some Claws in DS1 on a whim and proceeded to learn us all how even a garbage joke weapon of ninjas sold by a japanese cold steel hoarder can be good, fun and useful

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

OutofSight posted:

While those DLC weapons maybe all fun (and very anime), i would not consider them ease-of-use. The mace (and the other stuff from Leningrast) are kind of the "gold standard", if you want to feel safe and being effective (=boring).

Eh, I think they're fun even if they're not as easy to use out of the box. DS2 was the first game where I've been able to say I jumpkicked a skeleton horse.

Not sure if that would count as a spoiler or not, I don't even name anything that we haven't already seen, I think, but I tagged it just in case.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
All this time and still relevant!

SilverhawkPX45 posted:

Did someone say "Rouge Leggins"?!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I just noticed the LP is back! :buddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp28JPs25ek

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A WYRVEN?

The "Wyrven" is really punishing Geop for being so overcautious and hanging back.

I think Geop would NEVER have figured that coffin out if Kuvo didn't make him do what he does at the end.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
aaaaand THAT's the second most hilarious thing DS2 has given us!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh god dammit, the bell's back again.

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal

Midnight Voyager posted:

I think Geop would NEVER have figured that coffin out if Kuvo didn't make him do what he does at the end.

Or at least until he died and had a female death shriek.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Oh god dammit, the bell's back again.

Praise be upon The Bell, for The Bell is Love, The Bell is Life.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think the logic behind the wyrven's placement is that the Dargonrider parked it there.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 5, 2017

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
There should really be a no parking sign there.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

geop iirc you can drop multiple items for the crows without leaving the inventory. open inventory ->leave one ->leave one->leave one ->leave one->leave one ->leave one->exit inventory.

necroid
May 14, 2009

double nine posted:

geop iirc you can drop multiple items for the crows without leaving the inventory. open inventory ->leave one ->leave one->leave one ->leave one->leave one ->leave one->exit inventory.

even that way it's a tedious process, they should've let you exchange everything smooth & silky at the same time... I haven't played ds3 yet so I don't know if it's still a thing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

necroid posted:

even that way it's a tedious process, they should've let you exchange everything smooth & silky at the same time... I haven't played ds3 yet so I don't know if it's still a thing.

DS3 has fixed lists and you can only trade each item once.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, no, I got it. Were-Vin!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

oh my god, fast and furrious

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Too bad these games have never figured out how to let you change names, despite opening (and arbitrarily closing) other things you can do to your character as the series progressed.

By the way...

The Dark Souls 2 DLCs are good.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Pet peeve tangentially related to that coffin, I designed my character around Rikimaru from Tenchu as a joke because they're both From Software games, but the mask I wanted to use has a hood specifically only for the male model, it's perfect as a Rikimaru mask if you're a lady :mad:

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Mazed posted:

By the way...

The Dark Souls 2 DLCs are good.

I'll probably enjoy them more in retrospect, because the sheer difficulty wall burned me out so hard I can't fathom going back yet.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

magikid posted:

I'll probably enjoy them more in retrospect, because the sheer difficulty wall burned me out so hard I can't fathom going back yet.

Don't ever try to play DS3's DLCs, because good lord have I got a case study for you on difficulty walls.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I tried doing the first DS3 DLC at maybe halfway through the main game. Boy was that a rush. :shepface:

magikid posted:

Just don't do the one type of side area that each one has.

Or do, with an army of summons, because they deserve nothing less.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

KieranWalker posted:

Don't ever try to play DS3's DLCs, because good lord have I got a case study for you on difficulty walls.

They're much easier than DS2's DLCs, though?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Sum Gai posted:

They're much easier than DS2's DLCs, though?

From multiple playthroughs with different characters on DS2's DLC, honestly, they seem geared towards different builds, if you don't have the right build for the right DLC, you'll probably have a bad time. If you do? Well, you won't have a cakewalk because it's still :darksouls: but it won't be bashing your head against the wall, either.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

BenRGamer posted:

From multiple playthroughs with different characters on DS2's DLC, honestly, they seem geared towards different builds, if you don't have the right build fo.r the right DLC, you'll probably have a bad time. If you do? Well, you won't have a cakewalk because it's still :darksouls: but it won't be bashing your head against the wall, either.

I don't know, I was able to manage through all three DLCs with a dual-wield caestus run, and I don't consider myself especially good at Dark Souls in general. Though I'll admit, dual caestus is really powerful in DS2.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

There are quite a few ways to handle everything in the DLCs. The only real restriction is in being able to deal good damage, but unless you're clearing each DLC at the first possible moment you'll probably be fine. And even if you do that, you can still grab a +10 weapon with relative ease and effort.

But speaking of the caestus and other sorts of punchyfist runs, I recently completed my second. Now that I had a handle on how short the range of weapons was, I was better equipped to mitigate that and punch the living daylights out of everything. :black101:

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

But speaking of the caestus and other sorts of punchyfist runs, I recently completed my second. Now that I had a handle on how short the range of weapons was, I was better equipped to mitigate that and punch the living daylights out of everything. :black101:

It's a delightful way to play once you get used to it. It's the closest you can get to playing as a martial artist in a game like this, and if you don't bother with armor you can get really good at dodging and punishing with fast attacks.

With that said, it lends itself best to 1v1, so certain enemy groups and bosses can be quite troublesome.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

funktopus posted:

I don't know, I was able to manage through all three DLCs with a dual-wield caestus run, and I don't consider myself especially good at Dark Souls in general. Though I'll admit, dual caestus is really powerful in DS2.
Blunt force is the answer to everything in DS2. It's a very realistic game that way.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Once you get over the short range, the Cestus is just as good as​ the mace is. They even nerfed the Cestus at one point!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Playing as a punchomancer is just good, clean fun.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

funktopus posted:

Oh, yeah, its still perfectly do-able, but that doesn't mean they're not easier with certain builds.

Loved my fist weapon run, though.

Punchmans is the best mans.

Sternieliscious
Sep 21, 2014

Dynas: Tea warrior
I'd say my favorite run was indeed as Broseph Brostar: Praiser of the Sun, Slinger of Lightning, and Puncher of Mans. That powerstance was a treat and felt better to me than my attempts to play Professor Pugilist in Bloodborne.

What were people's preferred spell class? I felt Faith and Dark to be my jam.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Dark Souls 2 has fantastically fun pyromanices, it's a shame they got nerfed.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Sternieliscious posted:

I'd say my favorite run was indeed as Broseph Brostar: Praiser of the Sun, Slinger of Lightning, and Puncher of Mans. That powerstance was a treat and felt better to me than my attempts to play Professor Pugilist in Bloodborne.

What were people's preferred spell class? I felt Faith and Dark to be my jam.

I'd always loved to have faith to have some backup healing in case I gently caress up hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Dark Souls 2 has fantastically fun pyromanices, it's a shame they got nerfed.
:confused: I don't recall any Souls game really nerfing pyromancies, except maybe DS3? There are only a few major differences between DS1 and DS2 pyromancies, and all effectively serve to "smooth" your character progression in DS2 rather than have it be rather modal as in DS1. The first is that you start out with fewer casts in the latter but can end up getting strictly more with sufficient Attunement. (There's also equipment for increasing casts.) The second is that you can't just boost your Pyromancy Flame with sufficient souls, but instead have to use Fire Seeds in return for requiring fewer souls overall. (But you eventually get access to about 20 across an entire playthrough, and you only need 10 to fully upgrade the Flame.) And the last is that Pyromancy Flames get scaling with your fire bonus, accounting for around half the potential spell bonus, so you can't just dump your casting stats like you could in DS1. (But you don't need much investment, relatively speaking, to hit the soft caps for fire in the first place.)

• Locked thread