Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

Are the X3Ds really even worth all that money? It's a significant jump. There seems to be a "gaming vs productivity" battle between them, and I do a lot of both since I often run AV1 software encodes. Running an encode and playing a game at the same time is peak heavy load for me.

Truthfully I wouldn't even think of upgrading my 3700X but my FPS in WoW's current expansion city when doing nothing else is so much worse than friends with 5900X, 5600X, Intel etc owing to single thread IPC of Zen1/2. I really don't want to spend $250-300 just to fix that and not also go backwards.
The AM4 "gaming vs. productivity" battle is between the X3Ds (8C/16T config in the 5700X3D/5800X3D, or 6C/12T for the 5600X3D) and the bigger CPUs with more threads to throw at problems, like the 5900X/5950X (12C/24T or 16C/32T). If you compare 8C/16T configs you go with the 3D cache or with what your budget allows, like Klyith said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Craptacular! posted:

My friend on a 5900X/3080, and a 3080 is a pretty significant jump in most games, and gets 50. He plays Cyberpunk tricked out and is happy, so I'm guessing it's not a video card thing, but WoW being an ancient game brought up to date over generations to be merely "old". All the usual caveats when Ryzen launched about IPC and gaming optimizations favoring Intel over the 2010s TickTockTockTockTockTock period.

As for storage, it's installed on a WD SN550, which was the "best" budget NVME in 2020 when I built this system to keep me busy during shutdowns.

Maybe I should just give up and get a 5600X3D and deal with negligible or even worse encode times, or suffer until the 5700X3D sells for $200. AMD has successfully backstopped the slide of prices with these new products, 5800X3D's were going for almost $260 at one point, I was waiting for a $250 Black Friday deal that never got below $280, and with the 5700X3D launching in that area they have sustained a $300 price tag yet again.

You are right, in that WoW is an ancient game, being 20 years old this year. However the engine is not. There have been multiple Dev interviews over the expansions where they have said that there is simply nothing left of the original engine anymore. It was during Cata development where they said only about 30% was left.

Personally I wouldn't really bother with an AM4 upgrade. Yes AMD is still putting out something for it, which is honestly surprising, but it's a pretty dead-end road now. It's looking like the (probably called) 9000 series will be out next year, with more X3D 7000 series due out this summer.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Koskun posted:

The X3D CPU's do help in WoW. All those spell and itemID's it can store in that 3d cache, and I've read from more than a few people that it does make a noticeable difference. Worth it over an non-X3d CPU? That is up to your bank account I'd say.

The benefit of the X3Ds in WoW (and other MMOs, particularly FFXIV) is that they can fit the entire display list of the absolute fuckton of vertices on screen in crowded areas in the cache. It's all about pumping out draw calls, the stuff relating to spell and item IDs is a tiny fraction of CPU time by comparison.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Thanks everyone. Based on everything I have to go on, I should probably get the 5700X3D whenever it's not at that price.

I have a $20 5-pipe single tower air cooler that fits in the O11 Dynamic (Thermalright Assassin King SE120) that I bought when a $150 360mm water cooler I bought failed and got recalled. I'll probably sell the boxed replacement cooler for like $100 or something and the 3700X for $90 and see what I can get for $225ish.

Koskun posted:

Personally I wouldn't really bother with an AM4 upgrade.

Am AM5 system is overkill for a 3070ti and I don't see myself getting anything better anytime soon with the way the GPU market is going.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Theris posted:

The benefit of the X3Ds in WoW (and other MMOs, particularly FFXIV) is that they can fit the entire display list of the absolute fuckton of vertices on screen in crowded areas in the cache. It's all about pumping out draw calls, the stuff relating to spell and item IDs is a tiny fraction of CPU time by comparison.

It’s often described that way as a simplification. You don’t want a cache miss when the server tells you that the 230th cat girl next to the Limsa Lomimsa market board did something.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Craptacular! posted:

Thanks everyone. Based on everything I have to go on, I should probably get the 5700X3D whenever it's not at that price.

I have a $20 5-pipe single tower air cooler that fits in the O11 Dynamic (Thermalright Assassin King SE120)

An inexpensive cooler is TBQH fine on X3D chips. They produce less watts than regular Ryzens of the same generation, but run hotter because the extra silicon layer is effectively insulation.

You lose a little bit of boost but it's a few tens of mhz, entirely trivial.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Koskun posted:

It's looking like the (probably called) 9000 series will be out next year, with more X3D 7000 series due out this summer.
Zen 5 is due out in the second half of the year. Rumours are that the X3D parts won't arrive until early 2025 though.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

RE Engine calls checkerboard rendering interlacing for some reason

Ok, that makes a little bit more sense.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I was gonna upgrade to my new 5600. I thought my BIOS was updated but it turns out it wasn't, so my PC wouldn't start with the new CPU.
So I had to search for the manual for my motherboard on my phone.
Learn how flashing the BIOS without the CPU worked.
Dig through my boxes to find a FAT32 formatted USB drive.
Stick it into my wifi router.
Download the BIOS ROM on my phone.
Send it to the USB.
Then I could flash the BIOS, and now it works.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Jack Trades posted:

I was gonna upgrade to my new 5600. I thought my BIOS was updated but it turns out it wasn't, so my PC wouldn't start with the new CPU.
So I had to search for the manual for my motherboard on my phone.
Learn how flashing the BIOS without the CPU worked.
Dig through my boxes to find a FAT32 formatted USB drive.
Stick it into my wifi router.
Download the BIOS ROM on my phone.
Send it to the USB.
Then I could flash the BIOS, and now it works.

Maybe try checking your bios version before you start taking apart the PC bud? Should at least help for next time

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rawrbomb posted:

Maybe try checking your bios version before you start taking apart the PC bud? Should at least help for next time

Clearly I should've double checked that, but I was pretty sure I updated it relatively recently already.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Clearly I should've double checked that, but I was pretty sure I updated it relatively recently already.

Hey you got it done in a much more educational, albeit slower fashion!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCuVEuFIkew

A "Ryzen 7 5700" part has appeared in retail markets over the last couple weeks and, breaking with tradition for non-X parts, it offers half the amount of L3 and is even slower than the 5600 and 5600X in gaming. It's a pretty scummy move since the halving of L3 may not be immediately obvious to consumers, and none of the other non-X parts that have come to retail have done this. Parts like the 3600, 5600, and 7700 have become known as great value CPUs, so the 5700 coming with such a disadvantage is a real bummer.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Anything but making the cacheline bigger is universally regarded as a bad move and will make a lot of people angry.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
half the L3 makes me think this is a Cezanne 5700G with the iGPU turned off?

it's definitely bad naming; a Ryzen 5500 is a whole 100 less than a 5600, to denote that it's definitely of a lower tier than a 5600 non-X

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah that makes sense, it existed (for OEMs) since April 2022. Sure it doesn't fit the "profile" of other x700 non-x Ryzens, but for this SKU the cache is the main difference according to the AMD website (same cores, threads, TDP, max. boost clocks).

orcane fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 7, 2024

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

half the L3 makes me think this is a Cezanne 5700G with the iGPU turned off?

it's definitely bad naming; a Ryzen 5500 is a whole 100 less than a 5600, to denote that it's definitely of a lower tier than a 5600 non-X

The 5600 is a 5600X minus X, so the 5600G minus G is called the 5500. The issue with the 5700G minus G is that they can't just drop 100 from the name, so they just said gently caress-it and sent it anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Ryzen 7 5699

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Ryzen 7 5699

I mean... if only they sold it for $56.99

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I mean, there's always 5650. Heaven forbid we ever do anything with the ones digit other than 0 or 5 - that's a clear indicator of a trash product or something. Maybe Intel's new foray into three-digit part numbers will bear fruit, I see they have a couple 4s in the series.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 7, 2024

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
According to pcpartpicker I counted 15 separate 5000 series chips, I think that might be too many guys! Which of the new CPUs actually makes sense as a consumer except for the 5700x3d?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mahatma-Squid posted:

According to pcpartpicker I counted 15 separate 5000 series chips, I think that might be too many guys! Which of the new CPUs actually makes sense as a consumer except for the 5700x3d?

The 5800X3D for gaming even more, and a 5950X sure does have a lot of cores if you're into that sort of thing. Maybe a 5700G if you don't have a graphics card. hth

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eletriarnation posted:

I mean, there's always 5650. Heaven forbid we ever do anything with the ones digit other than 0 or 5 - that's a clear indicator of a trash product or something. Maybe Intel's new foray into three-digit part numbers will bear fruit, I see they have a couple 4s in the series.

Apparently a ryzen 5 5645 is a thing. https://www.amd.com/en/product/12186

I look forward to GN Steve’s rant about numbers this causes. 5700 is just about the worst name they could’ve picked.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LRADIKAL posted:

The 5800X3D for gaming even more, and a 5950X sure does have a lot of cores if you're into that sort of thing. Maybe a 5700G if you don't have a graphics card. hth

Those aren’t new chips, though.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

hobbesmaster posted:

Apparently a ryzen 5 5645 is a thing. https://www.amd.com/en/product/12186

I look forward to GN Steve’s rant about numbers this causes. 5700 is just about the worst name they could’ve picked.

As far as I can tell the 5645 is just the Pro version of the 5600X. Same core count, clock speed, cache, architecture, and TDP. Same thing for 5700X/5845 and 5900/5945. No idea why they couldn't just have the same model numbers with Pro at the end.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Those aren’t new chips, though.

Who said anything about new?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LRADIKAL posted:

The post you replied to?

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

LRADIKAL posted:

Yeah, I was specifically referring to the new pile of CPUs AMD dropped at the end of January. I worded it badly but I wasn't looking for advice, more commenting that the other new CPUs sit in a weird space where they don't make much sense (at least where I live) for anyone to buy, and make for a super confusing product stack.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like the big 4 are rolling out the AGESA 1.1.0.2b bios updates for all their boards. If you get one of the new APUs (looks like the 8600/8700 are in stock), make sure you get the updates. They should fix the STAPM issue, which is one of the wilder early adopter issues ive seen as of late.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

The post you replied to?

oh wow, i couldn't see that word.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

:thunk:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The same thing happened with Intel, the 12700K is faster than and has been cheaper than the 12700 non-K.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Makes sense considering that the 5700 comes with a cooler and the 5700X does not.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Eletriarnation posted:

Makes sense considering that the 5700 comes with a cooler and the 5700X does not.

But in that case the 5700G comes with the same cooler, a functional GPU, and 100mhz more base clock for $15 cheaper?

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

Cygni posted:

But in that case the 5700G comes with the same cooler, a functional GPU, and 100mhz more base clock for $15 cheaper?

But half the L3 cache which is big downgrade.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the 5700 has as much cache as the 5700G

it doesn't make sense for the 5700 to be the most expensive in the lot, because you're either getting a faster CPU with the X, or a working iGPU with the G

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The only possible advantage is that 5700's included cooler is slightly bigger than the 5700G's. They're both lovely stock coolers, though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The only possible advantage is that 5700's included cooler is slightly bigger than the 5700G's. They're both lovely stock coolers, though.

good catch, didnt realize the 5700 came with a Spire instead of Stealth.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Intel set the standard so low for “lovely stock cooler” that it feels wrong to call the current AMD stock coolers that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The wraith stealth is not much better than the current i5 stock coolers. The wraith spire is maybe twice as thick, but it's pretty much the same deal with a metal slug in the middle and fins radiating out from that. The Prism is the only AMD cooler that can be considered good because it actually has a decent fin stack and a few heat pipes. If that came with the 65W TDP parts, then it would legitimately be viable to just stick with it.