Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There are plenty of amazing thin and lights, I dunno what you're waiting for. Ice Lake is gonna be a decent speed bump but the IGP is still worse than an MX150. If you're waiting for an ultrabook that can do current games at 1080p, you're gonna be waiting forever. Get your bro a laptop, be a bro.

Won't be waiting that long at all; the 3.2 pound blade stealth with a 1650 should be out in a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Well let's hold out for the thermals on that one, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

edit: tbh I'm not sure I understand the market segment that wants to play Control at 20 fps on a 13" display and is willing to spend two grand to do it, but it'll be super cool if they pull it off.

I'm the market segment; I'm willing to do medium settings, but the blade 14 I have now is big enough that it annoys me.

I want something that I can game on, use comfortably in bed, bring with me wherever and whenever without thinking about it and I'm willing to pay what that combination of portability and power costs. It's a niche market for sure, but it does exist.

Edit: since this is the amd thread, I was also hoping for a hypothetical 14cu navi / zen2 based apu with hbm that could fill the ultralight gaming niche as well, but it doesn't seem likely that that's going to exist :(

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 21, 2019

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Budzilla posted:

I noticed that too. I'm just annoyed that Intel finally says 'look a great iGPU' in TYOOL 2019 and throws out samples in configurations that won't be sold. Complaints about poo poo performance from Intel graphics has been around for years and no all of a sudden they care.

I don't think it's correct to say this configuration won't be sold; every announced ice lake laptop I've seen claims to be using it (acer swift, dell xps, blade stealth). I don't doubt there will be skus using awful ram, but it looks like you will be able to buy dual channel lpddr4 3733 in actual retail laptops.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

AIOs make sense when:

1) you have height restrictions due to your case preventing you from using the really effective tower coolers

2) you move your computer a lot (often goes with 1)

3) GPUs where your aftermarket air options are basically the accelero and morpheus 2 and make your card 3 slots

4) cases with heavily restricted airflow in the main chamber but better potential airflow at radiator mounting points (something like the evolv shift)

Otherwise big air coolers are both better at cooling value and at noise normalized performance and should be the default choice.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Leandros posted:

I have an i5 750 so it's time for a refresh and AMD definitely seems like a smart bet this time. I'd prefer to do it sooner rather than later, but the ~20% IPC gains the Zen3 apparently touts is sounding pretty good too. Would it make sense to go for a 3700X now with an X570 mobo and swap out the CPU for a 4k series somewhere down the line or will the X570 be a bottleneck? 3800X is about 35 euros more but doesn't seem worth the investment. I'm not getting any super authoritative info that Zen3 would even run on AM4, aside from the fact that Epyc3 will be running DDR4 and a move to AM5 would imply DDR5 memory, which won't be manufactured in high enough volumes around the release of Zen3. Considering the X570 is currently high-end, I would assume it ought to be enough, but I honestly don't know enough about this stuff.

There's always something better around the corner with computer hardware. You should upgrade when you want something better unless you know the newer architecture is releasing like next month.

I'd also forget about upgrading zen2 to zen3. Socket compatibility sounds great in theory but in practice, spending 300+ for a 15-20% performance uplift is terrible value.

Coming from a 750, you'd probably be super happy with a 3700x or even a 3600 depending on your workloads. Also consider b450 over x570 if you don't have a compelling use case for pcie4 because it's cheaper and gently caress active chipset cooling forever.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Leandros posted:

I'd obviously sell the 3700X if I were to get a new one, so it'd not be that big a hit, but you're probably right that it might not be worth it. As for X570, I was originally looking for a mobo with 8 SATA ports as I have a buttload of storage and those seemed the cheapest option. I'm now going for a NAS build, so the more common 6 SATA ports should be fine.
I'm not a fan of the chipset cooler either, and will probably go for an RTX 2070S, so PCIe 3.0 seems to be alright for now. However I do tend to upgrade GPU about twice as often as CPU, so would I be alright with that for the coming, say, 5 years?

Nothing authoritative either, but e.g. http://www.redgamingtech.com/amd-zen-3-more-info-on-ipc-clock-speeds-am5-follows-am4-exclusive/

I mean a 2080ti right now is fine on 8 lanes of pcie3, let alone 16. I don't see pcie4 being useful for gpus for awhile. Better use case is like 10/100gig ethernet or feeding nvme drives with fewer lanes so you can provide more connectivity from the chipset, or maybe some future thunderbolt spec.

*yes I know those recently released amd 5500s are showing bottlenecks on pcie3 x8 probably because amd hosed something up but they're garbage value cards and nobody should be buying them anyways.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

movax posted:

I think it’s more appealing for the first reasons there, using fewer lanes / physical I/O where possible. I always liked doing bandwidth bridging in designs with PCIe Gen 2 or 3 feeding into a switch that would fan out to slower devices that didn’t need all the bandwidth. Getting 10 GbE in x1 would be great for density.

100% agreed, but in think we're a long ways away from the point where a typical home user is going to benefit which is why I tend to steer people away unless they have a specific use case. How many people need even a single 10Ge in their home desktop at this point, or will even in the next 5 years?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I mean you're usually going to get way better returns buying the fastest single gpu you can afford for a pure gaming workload so one would assume if you're considering a 9900k/s over the 3700x for gaming you're pairing it with a 2080s at least or you've got like an emulator use case that really favors intel or something. Doesn't make a ton of sense to spend +$150 on a processor when that could buy you a faster GPU.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Paul MaudDib posted:

the price to performance curve falls off a cliff after the 2070S, a 2080S is spending 60% more for 13% more performance. If you're willing to spend an extra $300 for a 15% return on your graphics, why not your CPU, which will last you multiple GPUs?

remember that Navi 2 and Ampere are both coming later this year, which means the price point at which you become CPU bottlenecked shifts downwards as well. Right now the bottleneck starts showing up around $400 at 1440p, next year it will probably show up on the $250-300 tier of GPUs, and the $500-700 tier of GPUs will probably be showing a noticeable bottleneck.

Unless you live in a region with very different pricing from me, its like a 40% jump in cost, not 60%. I'm not saying it's not poor value, stuff at the far end of the performance curve usually is. But 3700x -> 9900k is also bad value. If I'm willing to spend into diminishing returns for better absolute performance and my use case is gaming (and I can only afford one), I'm taking the 2080s every time.

Obviously there's a point where it's ridiculous which is why I didn't say ti - at that price point the difference in processor cost doesn't even get you halfway to the next gpu step

Edit: I guess it's only fair to mention the 9700k which gets you the same performance in games at least today as the 9900k at 85% of the cost. I could see pairing that with less than a 2080s if you're willing to risk "only" having 8c8t.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 3, 2020

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

If you really want low maintenance you can go with one of the graphite sheet products as your TIM instead of paste and that basically shouldn't degrade at the cost of slightly worse up front performance.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

The 4 core zen2 parts are actually probably faster for most games so I can see buying one for that purpose as a placeholder with the intent to upgrade to a 6/8c zen3 part when it launches.

1600af is obviously the better choice for long term use, but afaik at least now no games are choking on 4c8t, it's 4c4t that's become an issue.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I mean compared to what throwing them out it's all profit. But the cost of production and r&d hasn't really changed so it's not like these cost less to make than a 3900x or whatever.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

To be fair, they probably *will* be better at games at least for the immediate future, which is why I thought one of the potential use cases is someone building a gaming pc now but who knows they'll want to upgrade to zen3 which AMD says is coming later this year.

3100 now, then drop in a hypothetical 4600/4700(x) in November doesn't sound so bad.

Edit: although I guess if you were willing to pay 9900k money for probably 9900k gaming performance you could just... buy a 9900k now so I guess it's a dumb idea after all.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 24, 2020

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Evil Robot posted:

This is probably a dumb question; but is it the case that generally Ryzen 3000 CPUs run hot? At stock on a Ryzen 3900X on a Asrock B450M Pro4 with a NH-U12S cooler, F@H peaks at around 90C. With the stock cooler it would peak at 95C.

That sounds way high. Do you have pbo turned on / no airflow / 40c ambient temps.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I guess you could try remounting and repasting the heatsink, but 50 over ambient in prime 95 with that CPU and cooler doesn't sound like you're making bad contact. Are holding pretty steady at the 140w power limit in prime?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

If I'm reading some of the reviews right it looks like the 3300x might be getting better 1% lows than the 3100 even with the 3100 overclocked. Looks like there might be something to having all the cores on one ccx.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have a bit of a historical/technical question: given that the Bulldozer architecture's "modules" were sharing a single floating-point unit, which is an argument for why they weren't really "cores" per se, and supposedly contributes to their lackluster performance compared to its Intel contemporaries, what made AMD think that that was a good idea?

It gets brought up a lot in retrospectives about FX, and I'm sitting here wondering - if it is or was so obvious to people that designing a processor like that was not a good idea, why did they go through with it? Was there some kind of "Crysis-like" moment where technology/development was moving in a direction that would have made that sort of thing perform better, except the future didn't pan-out that way? Did AMD just guess wrong? Are all these retrospectives benefitting from hindsight when they couldn't have known prior to 2011 that the single-shared-FPU module design was going to turn out the way it did?

I believe their thinking was that integer workloads were much more common in consumer space, so a module would behave like 2 cores most of the time.

And while it is an example of stretching the truth, I don't think that shared logic was the one thing holding the construction cores back; they were slow at everything including single threaded performance where the shared fpus shouldn't matter at all. I think it would be wrong to frame the failings of the uarch as a single bad bet by amds design team.

Edit: it also probably would have worked better with earlier os support; knowing for example to schedule on cores 0,3,5,7 then 1,2,4,6 or whatever.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 8, 2020

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

EmpyreanFlux posted:

The 10900K reviews are like "This roughly competes with a 3900X!" but like, 3900X not only is cheaper but it's not a power hog running at 90°C to do so. It's not a bad processor per se but I feel like every review seems to have an element of "This is fine" dog in it.

The 10600K is an almost sane choice though, pricing hits it a bit though.

The 10700k and the 10600k are reasonable choices if your use case is high refresh rate gaming, you pair with a very fast gpu, and you care more about absolute performance than perf/dollar and perf/watt.

Otherwise, probably not so much.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I mean yes, they're terrible value in the current market so just, you know don't buy them. Like the 3600/3700x/3900x still exist and are great value for their respective use cases.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

PBO and overclocking on zen2 is mostly pointless. Spend your time tuning memory frequency and timings instead you'll get way more out of it.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I would pay more for b550 than a comparably specced x570 just to avoid even the possibility of the fan spinning so I'm glad there are options.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

NewFatMike posted:

If you're looking for a no compromises build, you're not using mITX, hth

If you don't use itx, you're compromising on volume. :colbert:

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think they're going to go even lower and that may pose a problem for the new chips.

Would you buy a 4700X at $350 or would you buy a 3700X at $200?

I doubt zen2 will coexist with zen3 as a lower cost alternative the way zen+ has with zen2 since they're likely fabbed on the same process and there's not exactly a lot of capacity available on tsmc7.

Doesn't seem worth it to port to another process either.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Afaik they've only committed to launching sometime in 2020. B550 and x570 boards will support zen3 though so if you're in a hurry you could grab a 3600 and drop in an upgrade in a few months as long as you don't mind lighting like $160 on fire (probably can recoup some of that on eBay or whatever).

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Mr.Radar posted:

When AMD shipped X570 they had to hastily repurpose their Epyc I/O die as a chipset because ASMedia (their normal chipset partner) didn't have PCIe 4 ready yet. ASMedia has probably caught up now (B550 was ASMedia again) so an X590 chipset could just be a lower-power remake of X570 by ASMedia eliminating the need for the chipset fan that everyone hates.

The chipset on b550 isn't pcie4. Just the lanes directly to the CPU.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

One other point: the APUs are monolithic. A chiplet-based APU would be pretty interesting since they could release models with different sized GPUs. Smaller, lower power for laptops versus larger and more capable for desktops. Otoh the benefits of a single die may be too much to pass up for anything bound for mobile form factors.

As of right now, idle lower consumption would be a real problem for the chiplet based designs in mobile space. Maybe you can make that better going to a better process for the io die but then you sacrifice some of the cost benefit of doing it in the first place.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

How good is anyone at keeping anything in stock these days? PSUs, cases people want to buy? Global supply chain is still turbofucked.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

EmpyreanFlux posted:

???

Wraith Spire and Wraith Max are both pretty decent coolers and basically obviate the need to consider anything less than the best 120/140mm tower coolers. I mean the Wraith Stealth is bad but even then it's still better than what Intel offers as a stock cooler, which is so bad it's best to consider all Intel CPUs as sold w/o cooler.

Good for a stock cooler, sure, but still pretty pointless. Unless you just don't care about noise at all or are on a tight budget I'd replace with a tower cooler 100% of the time, to the point where I wish you could buy the cpus without.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Klyith posted:

It wasn't because they were just going to be replaced, it was that some people did use them and they were totally inadequate. As in the processor would hit max temp and throttle. The sinks they came with were the same cheap intel aluminum sinks as the normal desktop processors, which keep up with a 65W cpu and that's about it. It was making them look bad that people would have awful results, and designing a decent heatsink like the prism would have cut the profit margin.

Eh, that might be a bit much. A cheap 120mm tower strongly outperforms them, and while from a pure performance & clockspeed standpoint you don't gain anything worth considering, the noise difference is big. And the spire only comes with the 3600X, which for most of zen 2's life has been a dud product.

But here's the compliment I'll give to the AMD coolers, and also the thing I find slightly frustrating about them: a Max would be an actually good cooler for a 3600. I wish there was some way to give all the unused max coolers to people with 3600s and limited budgets.

In my perfect world, they'd cut prices on the processors by $5 and not include a heatsink. Then make the max available as a bundle with processor purchase regardless of sku for +10 and the stealth for +5. Boom, less waste for people who are going to immediately replace with something better, more options for people on a tight budget.

Probably a pain for logistics and packaging reasons I guess.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Ironically AM4s long life is actually a downside rather than a positive as lack of an upgrade path would stop people spending silly amounts of money on marginal upgrades most of them won't notice.

Curse you AMD!!!

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Spires are usually adequate for stock, and the copper cored ones seem to have similar performance to an NH-L9a (per phoronix https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=noctua-nhl9-am4&num=1). It sucks complete rear end they gutted the Spire recently though.

Wraith Max is apparently EVO212 levels as well, worse noise but roughly equal thermals with the edge slightly in the 212s favor (https://www.anandtech.com/show/11407/140-mm-slim-tower-cpu-cooler-roundup, check the testing results, the 212 only pulls away in noise). Noise does suck, but Wraith Max performance means it works for the vast majority of users and also means you need something like 140mm tower to make it a worthwhile upgrade (but if noise matters to you and not raw performance than a 120mm tower is a must of course!). FWIW, in the link I posted the Pure Rock Slim actually trounces the Max in sound and performance so for 35$ that's drat good.

I did mention the stealth, right at the end of what you just quoted? I said it was bad, mildly better than stock Intel but that's like comparing garbage to trash.

If I were to make changes to AMDs stock cooler line up, it'd be down to obliterating the stealth from existence, using a similar design as the NH-L9a or G200P to replace the Spire, and a similar design to the Mugen rev B as a replacement for the Wraith Max. Call them the Wraith Slipstream and Wraith Maelstrom for maximum Threadippery branding.

I mean noise is pretty important when evaluating a cooler. More noise for the same result is... bad. Even on a tight budget something like the pure rock or pure rock slim are absolutely worth the upgrade and they are far from the high end (nh-d15s, dark rock pro4) or even midrange (something like the fuma 2).

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Look at the noise level again in the article, the their lower settings the EVO 212 is 34dB and the Max is 34.8dB. For 150W, Delta over ambient is 31°C for the EVO 212, for the Wraith it's 31.9°C. That's directly comparable. It's only @ full load does the EVO 212 pull ahead in noise in and thermally, but that's @ 40.4dB (to the Max's 44.7dB). Notice the Delta between the lower and max settings though, it's not really worth it to run either at full blast.

Could be the smaller fan design produces more whine or has an unfavorable sound? I only really notice it when it decides to go all out. Considering the difference between full blast and the lowest settings, I just run mine a little above that and it's not a huge deal. I agree that if you have you can spare 35$, 100% get a Pure Rock Slim and you'll notice a massive difference.

The other issue is that you're comparing it to the hyper 212, which itself is substantially outperformed by... Other low end tower air coolers.

The statement "it's only worth replacing if you go extremely high end" is just not true when there are options between $35-$50 that absolutely dumpster it in acoustic efficiency.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Eletriarnation posted:

I get what you're saying, but there's no conflict in this. It's a standard recommendation because it's cheap, straightforward to install and has broad compatibility. It won't keep up if you go over around 120W but that's fine for most builds, I used them myself on an i7-920 and a 2500K. When I replaced that i7-920 with a six-core Westmere Xeon and started really pushing it hard, I had to get a big Noctua with six heatpipes because you can't push 200W through a 212.

I'm saying it shouldn't be the standard anymore - it's been surpassed by things like the aforementioned pure rock slim at the same price point and similar compatibility.

The hyper 212 recommendation is obsolete.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Wait ignore everything I just said I got their models crossed - its the shadow rock slim, not the pure rock slim. So the reasonable bequiet options start at $45 for the pure rock non slim which I guess leaves a place for the hyper 212 in cost limited builds.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

MikeC posted:

Expect 0 price drops. These prices are specifically designed to keep 3000 series relevant. That Aussie SI was right on the money.

I wouldn't expect them to keep making the 3000 series. They directly compete for fab capacity.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Is zen2 cheaper even? At this point r&d is a sunk cost and they're on the same process. I guess we don't know die size but based on core counts and cache I imagine they're pretty close.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Nomyth posted:

Do we have any indication of how well Zen 3 does for inter-CCX communication for parts > 8 cores? From Epyc examples and such? Or is it the same fabric from zen 2 still

Parts over 8 cores would be via the io die, presumably. Since each ccx is now 8 cores, unless they go more than 8 cores per chiplet it seems like inter ccx should be a thing of the past if you're on the same chiplet.

Obviously we'll need a deep dive on the uarch to know anything for sure.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Pollyanna posted:

o

Well, I guess in that case, I'm a little hosed. Maybe I'll put it back up after all and reassess if I ever get another desk with a bit more space.

You could buy an extension cable pretty cheap and probably find a way to route it from the front port to the rear if you wanted.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Tiger lake took the IPC gains of ice lake but actually clocks decently because of 10nm process refinements, so it kind of makes sense that it could beat the 14+++ desktop chips in single threaded benchmarks, particularly if they're on the shorter side and spend longer relative time at the short duration power limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

From a pure value proposition, zen3 is going to be worse than zen2 at launch which will probably help make it more available.

The entry level sku at 6c 12t is now $300, 8c/16t starts at what, $450?

There is no $200 3600, $330 3700x, or $450 3900 this time around.