Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Pablo Bluth posted:

The devs who do the performance work on Photoshop/Lightroom/Premiere are the ones who failed to cut it in the Flash security team...

When my friend was still doing video work in Premiere for a living, Adobe became a curse word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Sell off your AMD stock right before they release their next GPU turd, then buy it back before they release Zen2.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Didn't somebody say that having twice the cache would result in fewer cache misses, which would really help the 1% and 0.1% frame time metrics and result in less hitching? That's the reason why I'm considering the 3900X.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
What would be the best 32GB RAM configuration for a 3900X? 2x16 or 4x8? Or is it still too early to tell?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

MaxxBot posted:

But the issue is it actually performs better with SMT off rather than on in some games and in some cases this would be the case with the 3900X but not the 3600, basically the game runs best with a certain number of threads but not more or less.

One reviewer noticed much better framerates by parking games to 1 core on the 3900X, so it is probably Windows scheduler fuckery.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
All this stuff about RAM has me entirely confused. All I want is 32GB of 3200C14 or better for a decent price, but apparently trying to achieve that throws me down the rabbit hole of motherboard topology, single and dual rank RAM, Ryzen issues with dual rank, Micron e-dies, tight and loose timings, etc, and I am just getting very confused.

Does anybody know a good resource that explains all these things?

I saw some reddit post talking about OC results and it was mentioned that these could get timings like DDR4-3600 14-17-17 1.48V and DDR4-3600 14-19-14 1.5V:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CdyV3C/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3000-memory-bls2k16g4d30aesc

Is this really all I need?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

movax posted:

I can’t find any of the Ryzens on Amazon FWIW, maybe the mobile app doesn’t show it?

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/09DCAE89-ECF8-4F1C-8964-F62016A14699?ingress=0&visitId=b2507182-2b55-4a30-9832-176c0664490f

You can find direct links there.

EDIT: But Amazon isn't selling the processors and are currently linking to a scam storefront. Because Amazon.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/camw8a/psa_the_amd_authorized_reseller_for_the_3600x_on/

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
A good AIO is the one thing I'm missing so far but I don't feel very confident buying any of the existing ones on the market. I think I need to wait for actual reviews on different ones to see if any of them work well with the Ryzen 3000 chip layout.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

fargom posted:

Has anyone seen any solid info on how loud the x570 chipset fans are on the lower end boards? I'm not accustomed to spending more than $200 on a Mobo considering i'm not a power user, but I need to be able to at least throttle the RPM if the fan is going to be that small/wizzy. I've seen some anecdotal stuff on reddit that does not sound good at all even on the high end stuff, but I'm just hoping that further bios updates will help.

All I know is that people were a little upset with the Gigabyte AORUS fans, but in an AMA today on /r/AMD they said they are going to release some fan control updates in a future BIOS version for all models (possibly released tomorrow).

EDIT: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/camq8h/ama_with_the_aorus_team_aorus_x570_motherboards/et9u2ca/

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Zotix posted:

Day 5 of no 3900x from amd.com yet. Order at 10:15am on 7/7, order processed immediately, and had my CC charged. 5 days now without any shipping info. It honestly feels like they are sending their stock to retailers over filling online orders. I can't cancel the charge, the only thing to do is go through my credit card company and let them battle it out with AMD.

I wouldn't be so bent out of shape if the website said back order. But it didn't. It said in stock. I've ordered ran from this build that was on back order and it finally shipped. I have no problems with stuff being on back order if I know what I'm getting into.

This is a very lovely start from AMD and I'm not even using their product yet.

I ended up pre-ordering from B&H. The website said 7/12 ship date. I went back a few days later and it said 7/14. It hasn't shipped today and they don't even have a ship date anymore. Who knows how long it will be backordered.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

gilljoy posted:

Anyone's else 3700x sitting at 1.4+V at idle?

Could it be related to this?
https://old.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

Basically, many tools that read the voltage cause the CPU to switch out of idle and ramp up.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It's been almost 2 weeks since my 3900X failed to ship and went on back-order. There's been no news at all since then. How likely is it that Zen3 will stick with socket AM4 and DDR4 RAM? I'm thinking of just buying a 3600 and purchasing a high-core count Zen3 chip next year. My i5-3570K is struggling a lot nowadays and I kinda want to get this new computer built.

Has there been any word on when new stock should arrive?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I've been rocking my 3900X with 32GB of DDR4 RAM for a day now. Coming from an Intel i5-3570K with 16GB of DDR3, it is really nice to no longer have to deal with tons of microstutter and whatnot in any of the games I play. I really enjoy it.

I have Micron E-die RAM. The XMP profile goes up to 3000C15, but I've been trying to overclock it to 3200C14. I failed yesterday at getting something that doesn't toss rare errors in memtest86, but I did more research into RAM overclocking and I have two new game plans to try out today. One is another attempt at 3200C14 while the other is an attempt at 3600C16 (which is practically equivalent performance-wise).

Hopefully one of these will actually work.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

triple sulk posted:

I installed the latest 2606 update on my X470-I and I just can't even change anything in the BIOS without it and being unable to POST. If I set some defaults and then adjust Ryzen Master to PBO mode (and then re-enable virtualization since I need it), I can up the RAM speeds, but the timings are all in the 24 range at 3400mhz because of the automatic settings. Trying DRAM calculator values or anything in the 14/15 range in there causes the system to fail as well. This is TridentZ B-die RAM that was working fine with the 2700x on stock DOCP settings in the BIOS. We're a month in now and nothing is working correctly.

Maybe this board is just a doomed cause and I should pick up one of the two X570 boards. The Gigabyte one seems better but keeps going out of stock.

I was just recently able to overclock my 3000 MHz 15-16-16-35 Micron E-die RAM to 3600 MHz 16-18-18-36. My first attempts were 3200 C14 using the DRAM calculator and nothing was working.

I eventually found out that you could use a program called Thaiphoon Burner to generate a report that the DRAM calculator can import to generate settings more custom tailored to the RAM you have. Once I did that, my overclock went great. (My RAM values were a bit different from the defaults the program included).

To generate the report, you start the program and click "Read". Pick one of your RAM sticks. Click the "Report" button, then scroll down to the very bottom and click the "Show delays in nanoseconds" link (it is actually a link you can click). Finally, click "Export" and select "Complete HTML report".

You can then import this report into the DRAM calculator. You can try again after that.

Also, Thaiphoon Burner can show you who manufactured your DRAM and what die revision it is, so you can double check if you really have Samsung B-die.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
DDR4-3200 is absolutely perfectly viable speeds for Ryzen 3000. DDR4-3200 C16 and 3600 C16 and 3200 C14 are all pretty much within a 3% performance difference range. Actual differences vary per review, but it is pretty consistent that once you reach 3200 MHz, anything more is just not that much worth it.

I would just stick that DDR4-3200 ECC RAM inside, enable XMP, and be done with it. It was such a hassle trying to overclock my RAM from 3000 C15 to 3600 C16 for about a 2-3% gain that it just wasn't that much worth it in hindsight.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Yo, for ppl using ram at 3600 MHz on ryzen 3.

Are you using 1t or 2t, geardown or no?

I bought this RAM. It is Micron E-die:
https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164116?Item=N82E16820164116

Here are some of the settings I'm using:

DRAM calculator derived posted:

tCL: 16
tRCDWR: 18
tRCDRD: 18
tRP: 18
tRAS: 36

tRFC: 561

DRAM Voltage: 1.390
SOC Voltage: 1.1
VDDG Voltage: 0.950 (950)
VDDP Voltage: 0.900 (900)

Power Down: Enabled
Gear Down: Enabled
Command Rate: 1T

procODT: 53
RTT_NOM: Off
RTT_WR: RZQ/3
RTT_PARK: RZQ/1

I used data straight from the DRAM calculator after I imported my RAM settings into it and it all worked out first try. It didn't work when I used the default values in the calculator. Only when I imported my specific RAM chip values.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

CrazyLoon posted:

Also, bit of a left field question, but wondering for X570 Aorus Elite owners, who care a bit more about this, as to how's the audio? I heard it's better than the TUF Gaming one, but felt I best ask here if anyone cares to comment also.

I have the X570 Aorus Ultra. The difference is that the Elite has a Realtek® ALC1200 chip while the Ultra has a Realtek® ALC1220-VB chip (and support for DSD audio). The VB chip has extra microphone features like a higher SNR, better dynamic range, and automatic impedance detection.

I haven't run into any problems with the audio. The Realtek control panel thingy is more modernized than the old one, but I can still control all the settings I used to be able to control, like room correction, environment, and equalizer settings.

I do like how this new motherboard doesn't have screwed up speakers. My old motherboard eventually got updated drivers through Windows Update that ruined my 5.1 system. The back speaker plug started to be seen as side speakers and it was resulting in no audio coming out of the speakers. I had to resort to registry hacks every time the driver updated to force the driver to see the plug as back speakers.

But, I'm not really an audiophile and I cannot tell you just how good one audio system is over another. I just know that it works well for me without any issues at all.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Khorne posted:

My win10 pro install didn't turn hyper-v on but it's probably because virtualization was disabled in bios by default on my board and I manually turned it on after installing windows.

If you aren't using hyper-v, turning it off should be fine. Type2 hypervisors like Virtualbox or similar will still work just fine with it off.

Combat Pretzel posted:

VirtualBox et al do use the virtualization extensions to accelerate their job. You'd rather want them enabled than disabled.

Are you guys talking about disabling your AMD-V features in the BIOS? I have that enabled for my computer and I can use Ryzen Master just fine. It's probably just a Hyper-V issue or something. No need to turn virtualization off completely.

EDIT: I looked into it and it seems that after version 1.2, Ryzen Master hasn't worked with Hyper-V enabled. After everybody complained, AMD just put a notice on the Ryzen Master page that it doesn't work with Hyper-V. Ticket closed.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 17, 2019

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Combat Pretzel posted:

Have you been able to carry over your Windows installation for the last few major upgrades?

Virtualization Based Security is only getting enabled by default since build 17xx, and only for new installs. If you kept upgrading Windows, and it was disabled, it should stay disabled. For now, anyway.

When VBS is enabled, Windows boots with the hypervisor, whether Hyper-V is enabled in the features page or not (applies to Home, too, which doesn't "support" Hyper-V).

That would explain it, yes. My Win 10 install is from the original 1507 version from 2015.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Just use the audio drivers from Gigabyte's website. Install the drivers, ignore all the apps.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Beaucoup Haram posted:

Anyone had issues with their Gigabyte motherboard resetting the bios to default randomly ?

Keeps happening with my x570 master, dropping XMP settings until I restart and put them back in.

Yes. If I turn my computer fully off, my BIOS will reset itself. It seems like it takes way too long for the DDR4 RAM to train and the BIOS eventually panics and factory defaults itself. I have to go back inside and keep loading up my saved profile until it finally sticks.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SwissArmyDruid posted:

2021 would also put it on track for USB4. Finally, industry-standard external PCIe lanes that resemble but are legally distinct from Thunderbolt!

I keep trying to think of ways the USB-IF can make USB4 as weird and obtuse as possible but I always give up and realize that my imagination is nowhere near as good as theirs is.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

shrike82 posted:

is there any reason why a bios (flash) update would "undo" itself?

my dual boot grub manager stopped working and i noticed the bios reverted to an older, launch version

Maybe the normal BIOS failed to initialized for whatever reason and it launched the backup BIOS?

My Gigabyte X570 board can often have troubles on first boot and I would sometimes get dumped to the older backup BIOS. I had to make sure when I flashed the latest BIOS to enable the option to ALSO flash the backup.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

kliras posted:

anyone taken street fighter 6 for a spin? the thing's doing the weirdest things to my cpu, it's probably some weird optimization or the drm - or both

Yeah. I haven't noticed anything weird aside from really low framerates in certain known buggy areas. For the record I have an R9 3900X. What specific things are you noticing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I would check and make sure you can actually record video first. I was never able to get video recording to work in Adrenalin until today's yesterday's (Jesus I need to go to bed) driver update for Helldivers 2. If it doesn't work, try to get the latest beta drivers:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-24-2-1-helldivers-2