Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pixaal posted:

PS4 was also comparable to a fairly high end gaming desktop when it came out in 2013.

Only in vram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s like if Intel actually released those Tejas processors. Except those were only 150W!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ItBreathes posted:

X% better or worse at gaming is a fallacious way of looking at it. Performance is a function of CPU, GPU, and resolution, changing any variable will result in different performance. Intel can get a nice lead at lower resolutions with a beefy GPU, but that doesn't translate to anything else. With a 60hz monitor there's no difference as both a readily capable of pushing that, and if your GPU isn't capable of pushing 90+ fps in whatever resolution you set it will never matter either, you've got to be targeting >90-100 fps and have the other hardware to back that up for there to be any difference.

CPU often improves 1% frame time which is pretty important for keeping above that 60 fps 100% of the time in a competitive game.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The parts picker thread recommended the MSI Tomahawk B450 a lot, its only $110ish and it seems to be running well for my Ryzen 5 2600x

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iospace posted:

It's actually a good price too now that I check. I may not overclock it (I might but it's not something that's a deal breaker), and I'm really not interested in having c00l lighting effects (My case doesn't have a window on it).

So unless someone comes up with something better, I guess we have our winner!

You should at least tick the “use more power/cooling” things in ryzen control to “overclock” it for free. (Assuming you put a better heat sink on)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Conartist posted:

To get dynamic overclocking one method is to adjust the P-states in the bios. It's buried in the advanced tab under the Zen Common Options page.

Speaking of dynamic overlcoking... is the max you can do to let an X processor overclock by itself to enable precision boost overdrive and set PPT, TDC and EDC to max?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Broose posted:

I am just so confused about the such minor differences between the 3700x and 3800x. I also wonder if that is an all core boost number, but probably not since I would assume they would specify a larger number if it could reach it even if it was only a single core. Now to wait and find out the overclocking potential of each.

That has to be binning.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alpha Mayo posted:

Maybe laptops are too risky because ARM (Apple A12X and upcoming Snapdragon 8cx) is starting to get in that performance territory already.

Those are 5W or less parts, laptop CPUs will always be able to do more with 15W or whatever parts are typically in bigger laptops.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iospace posted:

Laptop CPUs also are very common in the embedded market, for what it's worth. While AMD and (almost certainly) Intel provide embedded specific packages, sometimes it's easier just to grab a laptop CPU out of the bin and slap it on a SBC and call it a day.

Yeah the embedded parts are more limited because there are commitments on a longer product lifespan. (ie, it'll be available for 10 years or whatever)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

CPU glows with the heat of molten aluminum, still runs Cinebench

You didn’t see molten aluminum because there isn’t molten aluminum!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Klyith posted:

Most of the people who crash are in rented trucks, so they're also focused on traffic and managing the truck. They have no experience with needing to look for height warnings.

Also probably didn't actually know for certain the height of the truck.

You'd think it'd be on a giant sticker or something on the dash but not in the moving truck I rented once!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Let me guess: you were caught up and then unmarked the thread by accident. You opened the thread and remarked it. Then when you came back later to read the thread you forgot about that and replied to something on the most recent page you were reading.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

bent CPU pins are more repairable than bent socket pins

Any tips on actually repairing am4 bent pins? The rows are too tight for for a credit card or business card and thats about where I gave up before doing any more damage.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Klyith posted:

bending a CPU pin is an easy accident for even a careful person to make. I don't know what kind of ape manages to bend the LGA pins.

when AM4 came out I didn't think it was a big deal, but the number of people who have ripped ryzens out of the socket while removing a heatsink has made me reconsider. apparently since the last time I'd been using pinned CPUs, the thermal paste formulas all turned into glue.

the best part is when doing it because you're RMA'ing a motherboard.

I was nervous about using the exacto knife I had, I think that dental pick set is exactly what is needed!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, 13 years ago, I was fixing CPUs with a credit card.

I did this waaay back in the day with a socket 754 athlon64 (i think). I put a credit card up next to the ryzen 5 and though "wow i didn't remember credit cards being so thick"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rabid Snake posted:

drat I'm not liking the prices

Whenever Intel or AMD gets unambiguously ahead of the other in all metrics they crank that price up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MikeC posted:

Expect 0 price drops. These prices are specifically designed to keep 3000 series relevant. That Aussie SI was right on the money.

The question is relevant for how long.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mdxi posted:

So long as you're not using an A520 motherboard, you can use PPT limiting to set the wattage to anything you want. I run my 3900Xs at 75W.

You're not really living unless you set it to 1000W and let PBO take the wheel.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Maybe Intel will be forced to drop prices making the 10700/10900 the best bang for the buck gaming performance? :psyduck:

Intel is more likely to be angry at being the “budget option” and to raise prices.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Number19 posted:

where AMD can argue "single thread crown" while Intel makes the "best multithread performance for the dollar" arguments.

Zen 2 is going to hold that still, no?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sean10mm posted:

3600 CL16 is the best but the difference is very minor.

A 3600 cl16 kit can probably run at 3200 cl14, no?

I guess the fabric clk doesn't actually matter if theres only one CCX right? Is Zen 3 still limited to 1800 mhz fclk?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ijyt posted:

e: ty for the ram advice all!

Honestly I would just try to figure out what the actual memory modules are based on googling the UPC. Then punch that into to the ryzen dram calculator and see what it thinks the safe settings for that die/mobo/cpu combo are. Like if the 3200 cl14 ram is Samsung B die and 3600 is Micron E then the Bdie probably is a better performer after you painstakingly OC the module. If you are not going to painstakingly OC the module just get the higher clock speed and use the XMP profile.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Looking forward to the crystal clarity of AMD marketing a product called "R7 5700X" at the same time that its graphics division is selling a product called "RX 5700XT"

Just wait until they release a R7 5700XT!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Gadfly posted:

I know that threadripper is a thing, but it would be nice if zen 3 compatible mobos supported more than 3 NVMe drives (most only have 2), rather than having loving 6 sata ports

The physical footprint on the board is a bit of a problem for a third, yes? Why not get a pcie adapter card? They’re like $20.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Gadfly posted:

I looked into this thanks to your suggestion. It looks like something similar to an Asus Hyper card is better for this application. It converts the 16 PCIe lanes of a spare GPU slot into 4 m.2 slots, allowing you to have an extra 4 NVMe drives. These can be run in raid configuration or separately. The reason why I think the cheaper option of a $20 PCIe adapter isn't as feasible is because the flexible PCIe gen 4 lanes afforded by chipsets are already usually in use by most mobos, and I don't think it's possible to plug those cards into a gpu slot.

I think you’d have to carefully look at the board info at that point. My x570 msi gaming plus for example appears to have a pcie 4.0 4x slot off the chipset but I could absolutely be misreading the pcie bandwidth table. M2 slot one on the board is pcie 4 4x from cpu and M2 slot two is pcie 3 4x from the chipset. Is it more common for the slots to use the gen 4 4x for that?

I have no idea about B550 though.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 9, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It basically looks like that asus hyper is useless unless you have a trx40 board.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037507/

It could be very helpful for rendering workstations I guess?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

MSI's Meg Unify has 3 M.2 slots right now at least.

The PCH only really has 4 lanes to the CPU so those cards can't both be full speed, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Last I saw DDR5 DIMMs won't be generally available until Q3 2021 at the earliest anyway so you're not missing much if desktop board support doesn't show up until 1H 2022.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Makes sense especially with PCIe 3 drives, I guess I sort of implicitly thought if you had PCIE 3 kicking around it would all be PCIE 3 and thats clearly not the case.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Taima posted:

So... what is the normal gameplan for scoring new CPUs right away? Is it like Ampere was? Do all of the normal retailers like Best Buy sell CPUs?

Is it normally easier or harder to get the top end sku (in this case 5950x?)

Bonus question: what is the best motherboard for a 5950x? I have it narrowed roughly down to:

1) Tomahawk x570, which seems to be a huge favorite, but it doesn't have SLI
2) Aorus Master x570

If there's something better I would love to hear about it. I would prefer to keep SLI in there if possible, since the 3090 has "support" for it and my setup can theoretically, I think, power 2x 3090s. I get that realistically there's no way SLI is going anywhere, but it seems kind of stupid not to leave the option open for the outside chance it pays off. However I'm not married to SLI if there's a much better option without it.

If you're setting money on fire put the cash into a really cool looking water cooled display case. If you actually have a use for 3090s in SLI why aren't you waiting for info on the threadrippers? Surely you'd need all those cpu pcie lanes to shovel whatever you're rendering from your pcie 4 ssds to the GPUs. Theres only 24 CPU lanes on an zen 2 ryzen vs 64 on the zen 2 threadrippers. Zen 3 probably will be the same.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shrike82 posted:

You’re not going to find a consumer board that can fit two 3090s without having one standing off via riser anyway so kinda irrelevant prereq

Some of the strx40 boards look like they might barely fit. They're 3 slots, not 3 slots and change (lol) right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mdxi posted:

Did a bit of research on CPU coolers, since I'll need them for the first time in a long while.

I was leaning toward be quiet!'s Shadow Rock TF 2, but pretty much every review agrees that they did a horrible job with AM4 attachment. I'm planning to keep running CPUs at 75W PPT, so I guess I can safely fall back to Noctua's NH-L9x65.

Any other decent HSFs out there, less than 120mm high?

Since we're in the AMD thread sticking with stock for less than 120mm HSF is actually a reasonable suggestion, depending on which CPU you're getting. The market for under 120mm HSFs is going to be to replace the trash intel stock coolers and to be quiet.

I'd check out cryorig as well but I think that noctua is probably the best you can do without getting a new case. When people are talking about getting "free" overclocking with a "cheap" HSF they're talking about tower coolers that need 160mm or more of height clearance.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

I find it interesting that my local microcenter doesn't even have the 3600 (or 3600x) on the website anymore, which has changed as of a few days ago. Stock of them must have cleared out fairly quick after the announcement.

The twin cities one still 2 has 2 3600s left. Lots of 3600Xs that can be yours for the low low price of $209.99! And why not spend $20 more for a 3600XT which is a scamsteal at $229.99!

(3600, 3600X, 3600XT pricing differences have always seemed insane)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

movax posted:

I had to look up what a stan was. :corsair:

Its 20 years old :confused:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

B550 isn’t even that much cheaper.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Considering the fan almost never runs anyways it really doesn't matter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sean10mm posted:

X570 really only matters if you need to simultaneously connect a bunch of PCIe cards, M.2 drives and SATA devices simultaneously because it has more PCIe lanes.

For any normal use B550 performs exactly the same, including games and overclocking (such as it is with zen 2).

As for price you can get a solid B550 board for like $130 now.

B550 only gets dumb with the "enthusiast" tier boards that cost more than an X570 Tomahawk WiFi or something.

x570 has an advantage with only 2 m2 drives though, no?

I don't disagree its not worth much of a premium but I bought an x570 board because it really was barely more expensive than a b550 one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Basically the choice between X570 and B550 is which version of PCIE lanes the interconnect between the chipset and the CPU is. For B550 thats pcie v3, for X570 its pcie v4 which allows pcie v4. That could absolutely be a bottleneck for loading a bunch of stuff off the chipset's m2 slot into (V)RAM as happens when starting a game. That bottle neck is going to be pretty slight but if you can get rid of it for the next couple of years (when even faster drives are available) for like $10 then why not.

The difference grows the more stuff you have hanging off the chipset pcie lanes and USB3 ports but odds are you're just talking about a second m2 drive.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

does x570 support 2 m.2 drives without any fuckery like PCI slots or SATA ports getting disabled? asking for my lil asrock board that could

Yes, that'd be the reason to get a x570 board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Taima posted:

So what's the most effective thermal paste solution for cooling something like a 5950x via an air cooler (a chromax black)?

I see all of this poo poo about liquid metal but it's hard to tell if it actually matters... or maybe there's something better that I'm missing? I am so lost.

Just look at the giant tom's hardware chart https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108-9.html You probably want thermal grizzly kryonaut and don't want to bother with the metallic paste.