Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

mdxi posted:

From a post on r/AMD about min-maxxing Ryzen 7000 power/perf. Hardware is a 7900X on a MSI ACE X670E.

The user says this tests out at a 1% reduction in single-core performance and an 8% reduction in multi-core, and is generally stable. Obvs I'm not going to take it as gospel, but it's a very interesting datapoint.

what does overall wattage look like after that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

oof if not big oof

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

i want a b650 with all the usb ports because i require alot of usb ports.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

That sucks if true, i was really wanting to upgrade from my 4960 non-k. I wanted to get in on that x3d wagon.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

pulled the trigger and upgrading a intel 4690 to 7700x, i am completely skipping ddr4.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

My 8700K is starting to give up the ghost. How long before the 7800X3D comes out again? :smithicide:

not too long maybe q2?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYOkJFOL5jY

Considering AMD seem to be stuck behind Nvidia when it comes to gpu video encoding, this looks like a good product with seriously aggressive pricing.

why wouldn't AMD gpus get a built in AV1 encode/decoder like they already have for h265, and AMD video encoding isn't really that trash.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

I built my 7800x3d system on Monday evening with a Gigabyte x670 board that came on firmware F6. Booted with xmp/expo(not sure of the difference, bios calls it both) enabled and seemed to work fine. Yesterday I updated to the most recent for that board, F8a which came out last month, and it would no longer boot with xmp enabled. This morning F8c was out, so updated again and it's back to working fine with xmp enabled.

:shrug:

when i go to the page for the gigabyte b650 aorus elite ax i only see F4 came out on 2023/03/22

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/videocardz/status/1651597334743064577

AMD pushing an AGESA that limits vsoc to 1.3v, new bioses coming again.

How were they getting above 1.3v?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Fun times! Well my 7700x likes the boost up on the voltage. This is with F3b, F5b looks to be released today so going to load that up.

wargames fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 27, 2023

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Maybe I’m blind but I don’t see Vsoc?

I could be wrong but isn't that Core voltage?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

updated the b650 to F5b and if you are planning on doing this make sure you load default configs in bios, or the computer won't like the update process, it will recover from a bad load but just takes time.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

OH BOY THE NEW BIOS IS HOT.

I got some good BSOD and now i can't boot bios if i expo enabled.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

It's still going poorly on the ASUS side of the fence as well.

This is not fun.

I am running gigabyte b650 aorus elite ax.

My "stock" ram is now below jdec speeds, before i was a solid 3000mhz with expo

wargames fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 28, 2023

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Fabulousity posted:

G.Skill Flare X5 Series (AMD Expo) 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96

Yes I would like to PRES BUTAN GET PERFORMZ but I'm okay sitting around for a bit until a good BIOS gets shat out by MSI. Worst case I run it and get my hands in there and mess with everything manually.

what bios are you running, because with f5b in the gigabyte b650 my memory speeds with the 36cl kits is wayyyyyyyy down.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

I am 100% sure gigabyte will have bugs in their new bios, because oh boy does f5b have issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2n4rOWehtQ

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

runaway dog posted:

laffo, almost same time

edit: oh that's not even 1.0.0.7 oops

too slow nerd! but yeah he is running the emergency 1.0.0.6 bios that SHOULD LOCK THE VCORE TO 1.3.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

I think its the multiple menus/expo in fighting with one another one, or multiple areas adding an offset. like expo is adding 0.2v offset and something else is adding another 0.1v offset or something.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Cygni posted:

The 2nd best selling console of all time and still 2nd best selling at the moment is effectively a rebranded off the shelf Nvidia design.

Switch 2 could use that new amd z1 APU and that would just dunk on switch 1 hard.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

repiv posted:

it won't though, the nvidia leak all but confirmed they're making the next gen switch SOC

the console makers aren't likely to switch teams for as long they want to maintain 100% backwards compatibility

When has Nintendo ever cared about that? Nintendo has history wanted to use cheaper hardware so they can profit off of console sales as well as games. Sony and MS accepted losses on the consoles but made up for in game sales. So the amd z1 might be too much $ for that.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Did AMD fully shut down / sell off / give up at making ARM CPUs? I feel like Ampere, AWS, and Apple have already done the hard work, and software portability to ARM is the best that it's ever been.

ARM may not be the outright fastest option for single-threaded work, but my understanding is that there is some power efficiency to be had and ARM on a modern node like TSMC 5nm beats both current Epyc and Xeon for power efficiency. Either that, or AWS is running their ARM pricing as a loss leader right now.

They sold off during the bad time they sold off their arm stuff, they are however using arm on their x86 cpus as a security enclave.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That probably is it, but why are there multiple places to set it in the first place?

One of the most important things about writing configuration into software is for there to only be one place to configure things; on some sort of non-volatile storage.
You can then either restart the software, or in some instances cause it to reload itself, based on that configuration. Runtime configuration is always the bad option. It doesn't matter if it's user-space, kernel-space, or firmware - and it doesn't even matter if it's obfuscated like it is in Windows or macOS.

Because they had a suppppper talented bios writer/programer leave like 4-5 years ago because of lack of raises if i remember right and why would you pay your employees what they are worth?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

but wafer agreement is fulfilled by having glofo make all the I/O die on their 12nm node.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Zen 4 doesn't use 12nm for the IO chiplet so AMD may need to make up the numbers by ordering other chips. They extended the wafer supply agreement in 2021, so it's a problem of their own making: https://www.anandtech.com/show/17132/amd-and-globalfoundries-wafer-supply-agreement-updated-once-more-now-21b-through-2025

are they using 7nm for the i/o die?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

new gigglebite bios allows me to reach good memory speeds again

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

i think the amd open source programers do a super good job with the gpu driver stack so them doing stuff on the bios side, hell yeah.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

slidebite posted:

Latest follow up on GN X3D saga.

SCUMBAG ASUS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGfc-JBxlY

I can't get expo to be stable with gigabyte b650 so i am below jdec speeds.

https://valid.x86.fr/ba510z

wargames fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 11, 2023

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Prescription Combs posted:

Did you happen to check vsoc before/after the update? Pre update mine was solid at 1.245v and post update its still 1.245v. I'm only running 2 sticks of ram instead of 4 on my b650 board though.

https://valid.x86.fr/u0r4zz

I didn't check before on the vsoc, but as buildzoid has pointed out that doesn't report correctly. I use to be able get 6000mhz/expo speeds with 4 sticks.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mFb1cloPJA

It seems some Ryzen 7000 chips needed a VSOC of 1.35 to be stable with a 2r2dpc configuration (4x32GB), even at sub-JEDEC speeds, so the new bios versions that limit you to 1.3V are essentially now locking you out of that memory configuration entirely. But at least 96GB (2x48) configurations seem doable and quite fast.

I think that is what has happened with my setup since I am at sub jdec speeds.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

whalestory posted:

Is the gigabyte b650 aorus elite ever going to get a non-alpha 10.0.0.7 agesa bios??? Feels like it's been forever

they have been really slow with sending out updates for the b650 series.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

It's not an ASRock thing, it's the newest AGESA 1.0.0.7b. An AMD employee spoke about it here. The main change is the new "DDR5 Nitro Mode" (very AMD name), which is the frequency-at-all-costs 2:1 mode. I fiddled around with it on my X670E Hero, and it's not just a binary setting, there is a whole page of settings that you can tweak. The descriptions mention latency costs for Nitro mode settings even beyond the cost of dropping the UCLK, so it remains to see how viable it is for gaming. Plus the training times as soon as you enable nitro mode are absurd, like 5 minutes to train 7200 on my board.

The other part that the employee mentions is tweaks to enable 6400 in 1:1 on more CPUs, and sure enough, I can now run 6400C28 1:1 with my 2x32GB M-Die kit. Was impossible to stabilise above 6200 on 1.0.0.7A Patch A.

compared to some of my 10 min training times with gigabyte and then telling me nah gently caress you go to stock settings, I will take 5 min training times.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Zen/Zen+ was crazy.

this is a b650 and 7700x.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

People are reporting that they can do 4x32 @ 6000, but it still requires dicking around with timings and voltages manually so I’m going to wait until I can just EXPO-and-go(-cook-a-meal-while-waiting-for-memory-training).

Can confirm EXPO doesn't work with 4x16 and any time i go over 1800mhz/3600mt I get errors out the rear end.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Would ECC make it easier or harder to do 4x32@6000?

any 4x@6000 on AM5 is basically impossible right now, better off with 2x64.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn’t that the same as 4x32?

you can run 4x64. or 4x24 but any of the 4 dimm configs is broken, stick with 2 dimms of the highest capacity you can get and you can get to 6000+

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Gyrotica posted:

I’m running 4x16 at 6000 right now on AM5, though for one or two BIOS versions it was touch and go. Just using the EXPO profile, Asrock riptide B650e.

my Gigabyte board won't post if I do expo with 4x16, so I am at stock ram speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Cygni posted:

this mobile naming scheme for AMD is horrific. AMD launching their "8000" series of products, all of them rebrands of previously existing silicon:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/21177/amd-unveils-ryzen-8040-mobile-series-apus-hawk-point-with-zen-4-and-ryzen-ai

the only changes on a lot of the skus is enabling the already physically present "NPU" block, or allowing it a higher turbo in SKUs that already had it... which is more or less only relevant on some adobe products doing specific effects.

this includes an 8840U that you are going to see in a ton of handhelds that is physically identical to the 7840U and clocks the same, with the exception of a higher turbo on the NPU cores you will never use on a handheld. so dont be suckered into thinking its an upgrade if you already have one.

they warned us they were going to do this a few years ago, third number is the one we care about, first number is just release year.