Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Zero VGS posted:

Lastly what's with those CPU cooler brackets and the huge backplate? If I want a cooler that is low-profile and wide as possible, preferably all-copper and with a vapor chamber, is there something along those lines?

Noctua makes great low profile coolers. You may have to click through most of these to see which ones fit your height requirement, but they make great performing coolers: https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I saw a video of a dude that paired an Athlon 200GE with an RTX 2080 and was still getting good 60+ FPS on a bunch of games at 4k

is gaming performance really that heavily biased towards blowing wads of cash on your GPU and the CPU can just be whatever?

More or less. The better gaming CPUs are usually for people who want to run games at 120+ fps and also raise 1.0% & 0.1% lows, iirc. Or do software encoding for streaming while playing a game on the same machine.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
You can also do an in-place upgrade if you are worried about Windows not quite being installed correctly: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

However, there may be a bug if you are currently on the latest version of Windows that may not be fixed until next month: https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/11/15/windows-10-in-place-upgrade-bug-means-you-can-longer-keep-your-files/

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Grumbles posted:

Thanks both! That's interesting. Is there some weird legal/marketing reason why they don't advertise the boost clock as the de facto clock speed? Because looking at how it performs, this is essentially a 4.2ghz processor.

Because they can't guarantee every chip can run at that frequency all the time.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Wicaeed posted:

Don't see how running the memory at it's advertised speeds (CMW32GX4M2C3200C16) counts as "overclocking" but I'll try anything at this point =\

Edit: And from what I recall this problem actually existed out of the box, which is why I started tweaking the defaults to see if it was some unoptimized default setting that was causing this

Anything other than JEDEC settings is technically overclocking, iirc. Just turn off XMP and let your motherboard pick the RAM speed as it should default to the fastest JEDEC speed offered for your RAM. That is the only thing that is "guaranteed" to be stable.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Truga posted:

also, their GPUs now run up to 20% faster than nvidia on the same cpu if you're cpu bound in games. i have no idea what happened on the gpu side for that to happen but just big lmaos all around

Apparently this has to do with software vs hardware scheduling on GPUs. Nvidia went to software scheduling during the DX 11 era because it allowed them to use the excess CPU power most people had (lots of multi-core CPUs while games remained single-threaded) to make the GPU more efficient. As a result, the Nvidia GPUs ran games of that era more efficiently.

However, games are now much better about using multiple threads so this software scheduler eats into those cycles. AMD still uses a hardware scheduler on their GPUs so they don't run into this same kind of issue.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

What's good software for stress testing a memory overclock?

For context, I have 2x8GB Crucial (Micron E die) 3200MHz with CL16, and I'm trying to get it up to 3600MHz on a Zen 2 3600. I used 1usmus's DRAM calc to set the timings and voltages based on the safe preset, running Passmark for validation. However I was still getting hard resets when doing something innocuous like switching browser tabs. Since the last time that happened, I bumped the voltages to the max values the calculator recommends and haven't seen the issue since, but it would be good if there were a test that would show if the problem's still present.

This post has some recommendations: https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4%20OC%20Guide.md#memory-testing-software

I have also put MemTestx86 on a bootable thumb drive so I can run some passes overnight without having to boot into Windows or whatever in order to minimize disk corruption in case the OC is very unstable. I then use Karhu and OCCT to more thoroughly stress test the system after it passes four passes of MemTestx86.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TM5 worked like a charm, thanks.

You generally want to run more than one stress test because each one works differently and can cause errors where others won't, FYI.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

gradenko_2000 posted:

sorry if this is off-topic, but what happened that made it so that sound cards were a thing that just came with motherboards instead of needing a separate card for? I'm guessing audio processing chips (sic?) just became small enough?

My "sound cards" (really just DACs) are connected via USB or optical nowadays. The latency probably isn't as good as through the old PCIe connectors, but it's good enough such that even when my mic is connected via a USB audio interface, I can hear my voice back through my headphones without the latency that would make it difficult to speak while hearing my own voice.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Subjunctive posted:

Isn’t the receiver an external DAC?

Yeah. Receivers are combo DACs plus amps. Just for speakers instead of headphones.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Quality external DACs aren't too hard to find now. My favorite is from JDS Labs. $100 gets you a simple but high quality, USB-only DAC and great customer service (if in the US): https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-dac/

Topping also makes great ones. Audio interfaces from Behringer and Scarlett also have good ones built-in (and decent, if low power, headphone amps, too).

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

Help my sb16 and cdrom are on the same irq what do I do

II had this problem with a nic and sound card. I couldn't figure it out and eventually got a USB Wi-Fi adapter. Annoying as all hell.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, the RV05 and FT02 use that layout. They are not as good for GPU cooling as some modern cases but still the best or among the best CPU cooling, iirc. I'm using an FT02 right now but am wanting to switch to a O11-Mini once I can actually get GPUs again.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Yeah that's the case I was referring to, I updated the front ports for modern mobo, type c. (Someday I'll get a smaller motherboard)

I snagged a 3080 founders 111 days after launch, it's a kind of blower so.. all my air pretty much goes from the bottom to the top.

At least one other goon had the same setup and said it was fine, it does kinda suck a little heat off the CPU though the GPU, but that just ends up leaving them the same temps.

Don't forget that they also offer upgraded fans for that case now. Now with PWM, better bearings for much, much longer lifespan, better static pressure, and a tad quieter than the AP181 the case normally comes with: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=847&bno=55&tb=101&area=en

e: the case really does need an update where it comes with those AP183 fans, the updated front panel connector, a bit better cable management, and possibly greater support for water cooling. It is an absolutely fantastic case if you have the room for its ginormous size. Once I can rebuild in that O11 mini, I will use this case to create a home server. Combining the existing drive bay and adding a bunch of drive bay adapters on the front will let me hold something like 14-16 hdd's. Which is more than enough.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 15, 2021

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

a thousand watts seems pretty edge case to me unless you are doing a hardcore multi GPU workstation

And those people probably have a case that supports two power supplies, which may be the better option.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Ryzen has been relatively finicky from the start and people here have had to do what they can to make it stable, I figure.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kazinsal posted:

The OG Pentium was the first x86 CPU family that really needed active cooling, but I think if you took one of the later P5 optimizations and downclocked them a bit down to the first versions' clock speeds you'd get the same performance as the originals at like a third of the TDP, so you could run them passive at like 5 watts instead of 15.

I don't think I've ever owned a motherboard with a chipset fan, but honestly, whatever. Those little fans aren't really crap or anything, they don't spontaneously detonate like people seem to think they do.

Mine started clicking on my Asus x570 board. We took it apart, "fixed" it, and it worked perfectly fine for several months. Now it is clicking again. They are dumb and I hate them.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Harik posted:

Everything above 2400 is out-of-spec for DDR4. The only question is how high an overclock you can push. Like gradenko_2000 said, your RAM will be fine. Run it at whatever your MB will accept, and if you have problems with stability back it off to 3200 or so.

I had to run 3000 on zen+, but that's with 48gb made of 6 sticks of ram, a bit unbalanced.

The CPU he's running may have to drop down to 2933 to be stable as that is the max supported speed for that cpu. My 2700x is difficult to get something stable above that 2933.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Like a 2-5% performance hit, ime.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I've just been using the fanless Seasonic PSUs. :v:

They only go up to 700w, though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I might just pick up the 5950x to upgrade from my 2700x. This machine will eventually become a server, anyway.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Overall the announcement is a damp squib (for desktop anyway, I didn't listen to any of the laptop stuff). Not much we didn't already know. I was expecting at least a firm date for the 3D cache chips.

Yeah, the announcement that only the 5800x would get the 3D cache led me to reserving a 5950x at Microcenter. Going to go pick it up today.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
While only changing my CPU from 2700x to a 5950x, I was able to increase my stable RAM speed from 2933 to 3666.

So far, this has been a fantastic upgrade. Work projects are loading 3-4x quicker, games are a ton smoother (despite being limited by my 1070), and even loading times in games are several seconds faster.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My anecdote was just from changing out the 2700x for a 5950x and the result was very noticeable in every game I have tried, so far (Chivalry 2, Dota 2, Civilization 6, 7 Days to Die, and Heroes of the Storm).

E: I did upgrade the BIOS and overclocked the memory from 2933 to 3666 (2700x wasn't stable at anything over 2933) and had to redo my fan curves, but everything else was the same

Kibner fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 9, 2022

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I want to thank whoever shared this memory OC guide: https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/oc-guide/DDR4%20OC%20Guide.md

It has been very helpful. I'm slowly tightening the timings by changing one at a time and running a stress test overnight, so it might take a couple months to be finished with it, but I will eventually get it done. This is my personal machine but I also do my job's work on it (much faster than the laptop they gave me) so I'm taking it slow to minimize potential corruption issues.

After I get all the timings dialed in, I'm going to reduce the initial voltages I set as part of the guide's recommendations and see how low I can get them while remaining stable.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Saukkis posted:

What the hell, that should work the other way around. A classic reason for a non-functional computer after a fresh build is that you forget to connect the 4/8-PIN CPU power cable. My understanding has been that a computer can't work without that cable.

The 8-pin just provides extra power. It typically isn't necessary for mid-range parts, iirc. Only the 24 pin is required for all CPUs.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
There is a big difference in memory controller speeds. My 5950x is able to run four 3600 rated sticks at their rated speed while my old 2700x could only hold them steady at 2933.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Klyith posted:

They've improved but for most people there isn't that big a difference. I'd expect the 2700X could have done something slightly better than that with some manual OCing / SoC boost.

My experience with going from 1600X to 3700X with some not-great-for-ryzen ram:
• the 1600X couldn't run it at XMP speed & timings, the 3700X can
• Doing fully manual timings there isn't much room between them. The sticks are 3000-C15, for both CPUs I run them 3200-C16. The difference between them is that the 1600X needed a tiny +0.05V boost to SoC voltage, and the 3700X can do 1T command rate while the 1600X had to 2T. 1T is nice but not ground breaking.

Now, if I had some different ram I might have seen a bigger difference -- iirc a bunch of pre-ryzen 3600 sticks the early ryzens just can't run 3600 and new ones can. But if you get into manual memory OCing the old ryzens could produce decent results. They're just touchy. You have to go back to old school methods of trial and error and incremental twiddling.

I did use manual trial and error. Could never get those b-die sticks stable at anything above 2933 on either of two different motherboards with the 2700x. Even tried running with super loose timings and a wide-range of voltages. Just couldn't do it.

I'm doing the manual process again with the 5950x and was already stable at 3600 running tighter primary timings than at 2933 with the 2700x.

(still going through and adjusting the secondary and tertiary timings; it's taking forever)

Kibner fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 3, 2022

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Klyith posted:

Huh, same mobo as well? :shrug: Guess it's possible your 2700x was unusually bad.
Yeah, same motherboard, too.

Klyith posted:

All you need to care about is the primaries, tRC, tRFC, and command rate. Everything else secondary & tertiary is incredibly marginal and not worth changing from auto, there's functionally zero performance change.

tRFC does have performance impact and is often set very conservatively by the bios / auto-sense, so is one where you can get decent gains with manual experimentation. But it's also the hardest to know when you're really stable: it will produce super-infrequent errors when you're on the margin. You need to run a complete memtest cycle on it to be sure.

If this is true, I may go back and put all those other timings I have done on auto and just focus on the ones you mentioned.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That is actually pretty interesting, even if not particularly useful info, to me!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

gradenko_2000 posted:

what would be a "better" form factor for dissipating 1000w of heat, if tower cases aren't really good for that sort of thing anymore?

like, ignoring practicality and extant practices, would we be better off shifting to... 1U/2U-style server form factors?

Open-air test benches, basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMmTMr66Csc

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Maybe there is a better thread for this, but does anyone know anything about Micron Rev. R RAM? I am trying to equip my 5950x system with some ECC UDIMM and two options I have found are from Kingston. I verified that my motherboard does support ECC UDIMMs.

KSM32ED8/16HD (Hynix D-Die): https://www.cdw.com/product/kingston-server-premier-ddr4-module-16-gb-dimm-288-pin-3200-mhz/6200231

KSM32ED8/16MR (Micron Rev. R): https://www.cdw.com/product/kingston-server-premier-ddr4-module-16-gb-dimm-288-pin-3200-mhz/6739199?enkwrd=KSM32ED8%2b16MR

The price difference on CDW is minimal: $94 for the Hynix and $100 for the Micron. If their OC potential is both the same, I am leaning towards the Micron because the spec sheet on CDW says that it supports temperature monitoring and the Hynix does not.

e: They are both rated for 3200 with 22/22/22 timings @ 1.2v but I am wanting to get the kit that will have the tightest timings if I tune them by hand.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 17, 2022

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Klyith posted:

How often are you playing games that are CPU constrained (and that CPU constraint is lower than the refresh rate of your monitor)?

Because for most people, playing most games, the 3900X is already faster than your GPU or other limiting factors and the performance upgrade is effectively zero.

The 5800x3d would also help with minimum frametimes and frametime consistency, even if the max or overall framerate doesn't improve much.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

acksplode posted:

I'm looking at replacing my 3700X with a 5800X3D to extend the life of my AM4 gaming PC as long as possible. But it's not an urgent upgrade at all, so I'm trying to game out the best time to purchase. The GN review said AMD might not manufacture a lot of these -- should I avoid being clever and just buy now at launch price while supply seems to be OK?

If you want it and can afford to get it, just go get it. The future is unknowable.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

explosivo posted:

Holy shitfuck I just put this in and the difference is immediately noticeable. This chip might be the Real Deal. Also first time replacing a CPU with the AIO cooler and the lil hooks on the side made that process a breeze. In and out in like 15-20 minutes.

Nice! What did you upgrade from?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yay, installed the ECC memory for my 5950x without a hitch!. Now to spend some time tuning it to be a bit quicker than 3200 22-22-22-45(I think that's the right number).

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Large amounts of DDR4 3200 unbuffered ECC is hard to find outside of odd alibaba sellers who operate from Japan and listings with maybe 1-2 sticks in stock on US Amazon. I might have to settle for 32gb, that project is already pretty :homebrew: as-is.

You checked CDW? When I ordered 2x 16GB sticks of DDR4 3200 unbuffered ECC ($~90 each), they said there would be a backorder. They arrived at my house within two days of clicking "buy".

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
FWIW, even my DDR4 2x16GB ECC memory is stable at 3666 CL16. That seems to be a fairly easy benchmark to hit nowadays, if this kit is anything to go by.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Agreed posted:

If I had to choose, CL14 at 2T or CL16 at 1T?

I was watching a video related to this last night and, as far as gaming performance goes, the difference between 2T and GDM On and 1T and GDM Off (or any combination of those two settings) are within the margin of error:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NukWYjWpm0

If that is really true and holds up, then it is better to stick with 2T and GDM On and just lower the timings (like you did with CL14) and increase the frequency of the memory, if you can, since those settings give you more headroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I am approaching the end of trying to OC, my ECC RAM, I think. This is 2x16GB of Unregistered ECC, dual rank, Hynix DJR RAM. It was rated for 3200 @ 22-22-22-44(? or was it 66? i don't remember).

I have so far been able to get it stable with 3666 @ 16-20-17-21.

The only timing I plan on messing with still is tRFC as tuning that should make an appreciable difference.

Or, I might change the command rate to 2T and see if I can push things just a little further. For whatever reason 1T was the "auto" default but I have been reading that the difference between 1T and 2T is minimal and it is usually better to run 2T and try to push frequency higher and timings tigther.