Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vir posted:

Yes, new silicon node. Zen 3 is using the same node and IO, mainly moving to 8 cores per CCX instead of 4, it seems like.
Zen 2 released July 2019 so does that mean Zen 4 won’t come until maybe Jan 2022? I wonder if it’s worth waiting for.

For the Intel comparable, Sandy Bridge was a huge architectural jump and Ivy Bridge, even though it was on a new node, was a smaller jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sean10mm posted:

If your current PC is good it's worth waiting for.

If your current PC is kind of lovely now it's not worth waiting for.

This is basically always true. :v:
I’m running a 3570K and 970 but I probably won’t poop sock a game until Diablo 4 which has a release date of... probably 2022 due to corona? Hmm...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Perplx posted:

The Apple transition kit leaked benchmarks show a 30% overhead for x86 emulation. Amazon graviton arm servers claim 40% better price performance than x86. With those figures running x86 on arm is already cheaper if you can live with lower clocks and buy more servers, and if you can run arm natively your saving a ton.
It’s not strictly performance. Isn’t power consumption a HUGE factor for commercial?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why are XSX and PS5 running RDNA 2 but only Zen 2?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MikeC posted:

MS and Sony have been stockpiling chips for their units since this summer, and their SoCs would have been design complete and gone into tapeout well before then. Zen 3 in likelihood had their specs finalized only in the past month and just entered mass manufacturing.
Couldn’t the same be said for RDNA 2?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

People impute way too much to that statement. Ivy Bridge to Haswell was a “new architecture” too. “New architecture” doesn’t mean you throw everything away and AMD obviously did not do that. Making significant IPC gains from incremental changes to the architecture is the norm especially in the early stages of an architecture when there is a lot of low hanging fruit to be picked
I’m a little confused about your analogies here since Wikipedia says Haswell was only up to 5% faster single threaded and 3% faster on average compared to Ivy Bridge. Meanwhile, Zen 3 has 19% higher IPC than Zen 2 which is substantial, though I guess the impact on gaming at 1440p and 4K is probably less since performance is driven by the GPU.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

what's a mathematical (statistical?) metric that would indicate how often (and how large?) a benchmark run experiences spikes in its frametime graph
You're talking about outliers. A histogram would show how often you get spikes outside of the normal range and how large they are.

Focusing on the right side of the graph, the value on the x-axis would tell you the size of the frametime spikes and the height of the bar would tell you how often it occurs.

If you just want a single number that conveys this information, you could use standard deviation, skewness, or kurtosis, but those are difficult to interpret and wouldn't be as useful as a histogram.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 30, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cygni posted:

All of the announced chipsets will have essentially identical performance in all scenarios today. The only difference between the four (terribly named) options is the amount of USB ports and PCIe 5.0 for the future (which likely won't matter for years). Frankly no one should buy X670 in my opinion unless you are truly Hot and Heavy with your USB/IO needs, but remember that the chipsets are daisy chained on one interface back to the CPU so you won't be pulling full bandwidth on all of em. Getting a hub probably makes more sense.
Do you mean a USB3 hub or…?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If you live near a microcenter then your real best alternative is get a 7700x with the free ram IF you need to buy a computer right now

If you arent planning on buying new parts in the next 3 or 4 years and planning to stick with the system for 5+ years then a 13600 might make sense
Ya for a system that's meant to last 8 years (so 4 more generations), I'm thinking a 13600K + 4070 might make the most sense for good value/performance for 1440p.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cygni posted:

In a boring teleconference, made a New CPU Wanter flowchart:

For the 13600K, why do you recommend 700 mobo + DDR5 over 600 mobo + DDR4? It an additional $200 build cost without much performance gain.

Looks like I'll be mentally preparing for a 13600K build and waiting on 7000 X3D.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

lih posted:

it says nothing about motherboards, there's no good reason to get a z790 board over a z690 board for nearly all use cases. ddr4 is still better value than ddr5 but it's getting closer, it's not a $200 extra cost
You're right, but on a Z690 motherboard, I'm seeing maybe DDR5 maybe 5% faster than DDR4?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Reusing your old hardware obviously affects which upgrade offers best bang for buck, but reselling doesn’t affect the rank order of which new system is best bang for buck.

In any case, don’t the majority of people build all new machines these days? It’s not like the Athlon days where you’d want to upgrade your CPU every year because you’d get huge improvements in real world usage. Quite a few people, including myself, are on DDR3 systems so we won’t be reusing anything.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I mainly use PCPartsPicker to get a general idea of system cost and put together a parts list. It's less important to buy from the retailers they link to.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tiger Direct always felt spammy to me, like a lovely version of Fry’s or Microcenter. I did buy a couple smaller things from them in 2013-14 when they had solid deals, namely my G502 mouse, a Bluray driver, and an external HDD that I shucked.

The rebate process was scammy af though.

RIP Fry’s, long life Microcenter.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kliras posted:

tpu did a new megabenchmark comparing 5800X to 5800X3D in 1080p with the 4090 as the bottleneck killer

https://twitter.com/TechPowerUp/status/1587127732600799236
They used different motherboard, RAM, and RAM speed/timings. Why wouldn’t you use the same text bench just swapping out the CPU? :psyduck:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

(Utah for scale)
I think you mean Nevada

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is v-cache faster than normal or is it just a way to get a ton of L3 cache?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was in the market for a 7700X or 13600K but ended up getting a 7900X because Microcenter had bundle with 32GB DDR5-6000 and B650E mobo for the same price. It seemed like a no-brainer to get a higher tier system for the same price, but I do worry sometimes about Windows not being great at scheduling across multiple CCDs when I look at benchmarks. At the end of the day, I don't play a ton of AAA games and don't do heavy productivity either, and Windows will presumably get better at scheduling, so as long as I can get 165fps, I suppose gaming performance will be limited by my GPU, and a 4070 Ti is more than sufficient until hopefully a 6080 is reasonably priced.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has anyone run into weird issues coming out of sleep with their 7000 CPU? It's been two weeks with my 7900X + Asus ROG Strix B650E-F on Win10 and I think two or three times now, it completely hangs coming out of sleep and the monitors don't connect even when I power cycle them. The only solution is to hard reset. I'm asking in here bc my RGB fans are set to be solid in Windows through Armory Crate and when my system hangs coming out of sleep, they're stuck on their default color cycling. I don't recall this happening with my old 3570K system.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has anyone run into issues updating the BIOS on their AM5 mobo? I have an Asus B650E-F and I can't get it to update. I've tried using USB flashback as well as the in-BIOS updater. Some people report an issue using USB 3.0 flash drives but I've been using an old 32GB USB 2.0. I even tried making a 1GB partition so that I could format it with 4KB sectors and that didn't work.

I know that in general, it's advised to not update the BIOS unless you have a problem, but as this is a new platform, I expect I'll be updating the BIOS for a year or so. I thought I might have a BIOS-related problems (analog speakers making a small pop sound when my computer wakes from sleep), but a reformat and NOT installing the audio drivers from Asus seems to have fixed that.

edit: I don't know if it was putting the flash drive in a different port or loading optimized defaults beforehand but flashing worked this time with the in-BIOS utility. :shrug:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 22, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

I am absolutely dying at "universal LGA bracket"

I've seen a bunch of stuff recently about delidding CPUs - what's the deal?
Every since Intel's Ivy Bridge CPUs, there have been some complaints about the material used to transfer heat from the die to the heatspreader being inadequate. On the AMD side, the fact that AM5 was designed to work with AM4 heatsinks was apparently possible because the IHS is thicker on Ryzen 7000.

My general sense is to not worry about it unless you're going for overclocking records.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 24, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm not sure if anyone posted this earlier, but LTT finally released their 7950X3D review after a month of troubleshooting and apparently it does NOT outperform the 7950X. They do think the 7800X3D might be worth waiting for though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYf2ykaUlvc

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TheFluff posted:

It has some niches, in certain games it's leagues ahead but for gaming it's not generally a meaningfully better buy than some other options, at least not at the current pricing. For productivity just get more cores and higher clocks.
Yeah it seems that if you're building a pure gaming machine, it doesn't win every benchmark but enough of them that it's the "correct" choice.

If you use your computer for other stuff (I suspect most of us do), then the non-X3D parts are fast enough for gaming (which is going to be GPU-bound at 1440/4k anyway) and additional cores/threads help, though it can be argued that for non-professional productivity, all these CPUs are more than fast enough.

Still feeling good about my 7900X bundle from Microcenter. $600 for CPU + B650E mobo + 32GB DDR5-6000 remains a no brainer imo unless you're playing competitive FPS and need to eek out every last FPS.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 5, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I could only flash my Asus ROG B650E-F using the BIOS utility (couldn't get flashback to work) but it read the firmware from my SSD perfectly fine.

It might have also worked from a normal USB drive but I didn't want to risk a disconnect in the middle of flashing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

—edit: I had to reset the BIOS settings to default, for EZ Flash to work. :confuoot:
Ya it was the same for me. It's funny because the BIOS advises (but not requires) you to load default settings and you're like "eh, I didn't really change that much, probably won't matter."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My ASRock Z77 mobo was solid from 2012-2023, and my Asus B650E board has been solid for a month. Sometimes you just get unlucky. :shrug:

Thought I don’t seem to be able to hit 5.6GHz when I stress my 7900X. :thunk:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bring back 7 segs

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inept posted:

back in my day we cracked the die with a heatsink that we attached with a screwdriver that slipped off and scraped some caps off of the motherboard
I definitely wore down the edges on my Athlon Thunderbird and XP. They never seemed to have issues so was it superficial or I just never hit those parts of the core? :confused:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Speaking of Asus reliability, I don’t know why but my 7900X + Asus B650E-F sometimes randomly hangs for a few seconds when I’m doing something as simple as opening links in Edge or opening/closing Calculator (Win10). It happened just now a few times; I had task manager openeing and the CPU wasn't loaded or anything.

I just have stock EXPO timings so I have no idea what the issue could be. Really annoying on what should be a top end system.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 23, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, I love whenever PC Nostalgia chat occurs.

Anyone remember which company actually put vacuum tubes on a mobo for audio? That’s the type of crazy poo poo that ASRock would do now.
Sure you know React and node.js, but have you ever used a pencil to overclock your CPU???

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

On my 7900X and ASUS B650E-F, hwinfo reports the core VIDs, VDDCR_VDD, VDDCR_SOC, and VDD_MISC. Is VDDCR_SOC the only one I should be concerned about getting above 1.3V?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

To be clear, there will usually be two places where SOC voltage is reported, one by your CPU and another by your motherboard. VDDCR_SOC is the CPU reading, and there's probably a separate voltage reading under your motherboard in hwinfo. For gigabyte, it's reported as "CPU VCORE SoC," but i'm not sure about Asus. I'm also not sure which is the "real" one, but the Gigabyte motherboard reading likes to hover around 50mV higher than the CPU reading.
Scrolling down to the mobo, my Asus does have a "CPU SOC" which is about 30mV higher than the CPU sensor.

Do I need to worry about the mobo's "CPU VDDIO / MC" sensor? Some of the posts earlier were discussing that as well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My 7900X doesn't seem to want to clock above 5.5GHz single core running Cinebench or Prime95 single core and checking frequency in hwinfo. :smith:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had a really frustrating 24 hour period yesterday. I updated my Asus B650E-F to the latest beta BIOS. I initially tried to do it with the BIOS file on my SSD but eventually had to load the file from a flash drive, not using BIOS flashback. I believe this worked fine.

Then I updated a couple mobo drivers using Armoury Crate and also installed the Realtek audio drivers, which also installed Sonic Suite software; the audio drivers that Windows Update installed had been working fine. I also installed Ryzen Master to try to run my Ryzen 7900X in Eco mode. I also moved my left monitor to the onboard video (my right monitor was already there) so as to leave only my middle monitor on my 1070 to lighten its load ahead of D4's final open beta this weekend (though my 4070 arrived today). At some point during this process, the poo poo hit the fan.

I got weird crashes where the bluescreen error was in a small window duplicated in a narrow strip across one of my monitors. It was also distorted, almost like there was a bad cable. I uninstalled the Realtek audio drivers. I undid Eco mode. I then got a Critical Process Died bluescreen on boot. Couldn't even boot into Safe Mode.

I ended up having to reinstall Win10 which isn't the end of the world, though I did lose some updates to my resume and Coachella streams I had encoded. Part of me wondered whether I should partition my SSD for OS vs storage, but it seems like I could run out of space on the OS partition within a year. I've been eyeing the Crucial P3 4TB for $200 as a storage drive; I tried using a 3TB HDD from my previous desktop but it was annoying dealing with it spinning up when waking from sleep. Really though, I should've just sync'd my document to OneDrive. I could've saved the Coachella streams to my external backup SSD but that never would've been in my regular workflow.

The reason I mention the BIOS thing is that when I first updated the BIOS about a month ago, I tried using flashback which meant I had to wipe my old USB 2.0 flash drives as I tried them one by one, one of which had GParted or some Linux-based LiveCD that might have let me access the documents and videos on my Windows install and copy them to another USB drive, though I'm not sure if I could've access them due to Windows password protection--does this only happen if you have BitLocker turned on? I don't think I did.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Even on the latest BIOS for my ASUS TUF B650 I'm still getting random hard lockups every 48-96 hours. The only thing I haven't tried is a flatten and reinstall, and only because I'm pretty sure if it didn't solve the problem I'd find out because it'd crash before I finished reinstalling everything I need.
I'm not entirely sure we can blame Asus, though I think the crashes started after installing the Realtek drivers through Amoury Crate.

The error that prevented me from logging into Windows or even booting into safe mode seems to come after installing/uninstalled Ryzen Master, which obviously has some interaction with the motherboard but ultimately may have been an AMD issue.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Klyith posted:

Unrelated to the trouble you had, but this is 100% pointless. The "load" of some static 2d windows is effectively zero. Even watching a video is pretty trivial, though enough additional work that it can have a measurable change. (And that may be from general system load rather than GPU load -- the decode hardware for video is different from what the game uses.)

TBQH if anything I can imagine performance being worse when using the integrated GPU -- it's using main memory so that's a drain on system memory bandwidth. Or the overhead from running both AMD and nvidia drivers at the same time. Personally if I had a ryzen 7000 and a nvidia GPU I'd disable the integrated video.
When I'm gaming (middle monitor), I almost always have a fullscreen Youtube video on my left monitor and browser/discord/etc on my right monitor. You're right that the hardware load is probably trivial, but I figured it might help from a VRR perspective (my 4070 :smith: arrived yesterday).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I had a really frustrating 24 hour period yesterday.
So after this debacle that may or may not have involved Amoury Crate, I tried OpenRGB + HardwareSync to control the RGB fans on my CPU HSF (I use it to tell CPU temp). It's a bit of work to get it set up but it works flawlessly, 5/5 would recommend, especially since it means I don't have to deal with any Asus software now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Arivia posted:

i don't know a lot about like how actual audio devices work (speakers, not the internal devices in an operating system), but when I built this system I got a real nice pair of recommended pc speakers (M-Audio AV32s) and they were obviously WAY overkill for my usual volume and stuff. The Asus Sonic Studio software recognized the extra good impedance value or whatever and adjusted the Windows/integrated sound settings to match, so that was one thing (the exception that proves the rule) that the motherboard manufacturer's software was good for.
Alternatively, I’ve reformatted windows to get rid of Sonic Studio. It crashes when you try to go to advanced mode and my speakers produce a faint pop when my computer comes out of sleep. I wish I didn’t have to, but uninstalling the Sonic software from Apps and Features didn’t remove everything and didn’t fix the pop from sleep. :(

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 13, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cygni posted:

Yeah one of the key pieces of advice for life happiness I can offer is: do not install any of your motherboard manufacturers software under any circumstances.
I will say, the drivers for WiFi, Bluetooth, and LAN are clean. They come with an AsusSetup.exe but that just copies over the relevant files so I feel comfortable using that instead of the "Browse for drivers" process through Device Manager--the driver folder doesn't have a bunch of other stuff like the Realtek audio drivers.

"Install Armoury Crate" is on by default in the BIOS (which I've disabled) but as far as I can tell, it just prompts Win10 to give you a notification to install it and doesn't actually install it automatically.

runaway dog posted:

alright, this is kind of bullshit, I have like no confidence in this platform right now, I keep having problems and every time i do it's like is it the chip? is it the mobo? is it this exploding crap? like for instance, I keep getting this problem where my computer wont restart anymore, I right click start and hit restart and it just goes black like it's going to restart but everything in my pc just stays on and the only way to "restart it" is to do a hard shutdown by holding the power button for 5 seconds. it happened before and I couldn't figure it out so I reinstalled windows 11 and that fixed it but now it's back, and I have no idea, and this whole thing has just become a real loving ball of stress and I'd return the whole stupid platform if I wasn't worried this was going to be the straw that breaks the too many returns camel back on amazon and get my whole household banned. but yeah bitching on a comedy forum is definitely the way.

and hell, maybe I just fixed it, or maybe the gremlin is asleep, I guess thats the fun of it ha ha HA HA :laffo:
We all should've just built our new systems around the 13600K, which I might've done if not for Microcenter's 7900X CPU + RAM + mobo bundle being the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Asus B650E-F and my SoC voltage hasn't gone above 1.3v pre or post BIOS update but I'm also running a 7900X.