Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Subjunctive posted:

Velvet curtains, gold rod, maybe a little valance.

I hear wallpaper is back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Speaking of Epyc, I could swear this page just went live a day or two ago.. I had checked Supermicro last week to see if they had any Epyc stuff.

https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/AMD_SP3.cfm

The ones with 24 hot swap U.2 NVMe :getin:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm curious if the current version of InfinityFabric phy can support PCIe Gen4 speeds (8GHz, 16GT/s), because it would be pretty impressive if they could jump right into the Gen4 ecosystem. There's a few new features they'd have to implement to get to the Gen4 spec of course.

Have there been any blurbs on how fast the IF links can go? I've seen things like "512Gps for GPUs" but it doesn't say the width.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

Does 16core threadripper have two 8 core ryzen dies? So no disabled cores? Or is the threadripper four 8 core part with half of the cores disabled?

It looks like TR is 2 dies and Epyc is 4 from what I've been reading. Tracks with TR having 64 pcie lanes to Epyc's 128.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Open the pod bay doors, HAL

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Supermicro making a non green, plain jane motherboard is still weird for me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I am intrigued! $50 more than an R7 1800X and slightly higher base clock plus way more pcie lanes..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Have there been any info leaks on if the zen2 or 3 cores will go to pcie gen4?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I prefer the tangy zip of Miracle Whip.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Things like PCIe Gen4 will be coming out at the consumer level probably in the next year, but it won't be a must upgrade type of thing for most people. Same with more USB-C 10gig ports etc. If NV-DIMM RAM makes it into consumer systems within the next couple years I'd be surprised.

My old pc still just has pcie gen2 and I've never had the need to upgrade..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sadly blood is just R.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Volguus posted:

On newegg.ca the available threadripper motherboards are holy-poo poo expensive. sTR4 is the socket, right? Is there any other? https://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007624%20601301149

It's not really that insane, HEDT motherboards are going to be more pricey due to more layers for the extra pcie channels, memory channels, etc.

If you look at X99 mobos there are quite a few in the similar range and those have been on the market for quite some time.

Gots to pay to play :getin:

One thing I am trying to figure out is if there are any differences I would care about between the ASRock boards.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Volguus posted:

X99 i can find in the $300 range. These ones are in the $500 range. Quite a jump. I guess these are the top on the pop for the platform and are aimed at those who can't wait. I hope there'll be a few cheaper down the road (october maybe?)

Yes but there ~are~ X99 motherboards on newegg in the $500 range too. There's more of a price range because there are more X99 boards. Also the prices will probably come down as the designs get refined and cost-reduced.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Drakhoran posted:

The main difference I can see is that the Fatal1ty board has a 10Gb ethernet port in addition to the two gigabit ports of the Taichi. When it comes to sound, the Taichi claims to support " Purity Sound™ 4" while the Fatal1ty instead supports "Creative Sound Blaster™ Cinema 3". Whatever that means.

Ah cool, I don't have a use for a 10GbE port right now so the Taichi would be fine. That and the 1900X is looking really tempting!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

Jesus I don't need 16 cores but I'll probably eventually get one because I'm a big dumb idiot.

:same:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

gently caress youuuuuuu, NCIX!

(Backordered)

Should be ~$1250CAD with the exchange you dicks!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Gen4->Gen5 transition will "only" change the signal rate whereas there were some other changes going from 3.1 -> 4.0.. (10 bit tag size, scaled flow control, power supply spec changes, etc)

Of course that's the plan and there will probably be some kind of feature creep that ends up delaying 5.0 anyway.

The biggest reason for the delay in going to 4.0 is probably the number of companies in the PCI SIG consortium now (group that creates the spec). A lot of this is due to the explosion of PCIe based storage so drive vendors want their say. It's like herding cats.

With the functional changes ironed out in 4.0 it should just be physical change going to 5.0..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hmm wonder when AMD is going to pcie gen4. Anyone seen anything on that? Probably not before Epyc2 at the earliest most likely.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oddly the suppliers I deal with at work can find Epyc CPUs but have had no luck getting any motherboards, Supermicro is only selling complete systems right now. With the pricey as hell 7401s in there so around $6k for a dual system (Still, 48 cores :drat:)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

A non-rackmount non-proprietary motherboard will have a hell of a time tracing 3700-4094 working pins, imagine how thick the PCBs will be on EATX, to say nothing of anything smaller...

This is true, I’m wondering if the Gigabyte one I’ve seen is a real product or just a paper launch. Ditto Supermicro, they only have their rackmount ones. Routing 128 or so pcie lanes per cpu even if not all of those are connected up is going to be a massive job if you can’t just send them to a couple mezz connectors.

Still, there are Skylake-sp atx motherboards and those are 3647. Probably just focusing on getting those out first due to demand.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

New Zealand can eat me posted:

With the PCI-E 4 1.0 spec finalized, does that mean the Electromechanical Specification isn't far off? We already know for sure the additional IO isn't important to gpu performance, but being able to pull more power through the slot might be useful.

Freesync is an AMD brand, friend. Welcome to the thread, thanks for your contribution.

The electromechanical spec has been pretty nailed down for a while, but there has been some incorrect reporting on the power. Some sites were saying there would be 300W on the slot which is NOT correct, it is still 75W over the slot. Supplemental power spec will now allow up to 300W with additional connectors.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

128 lanes of pcie gen4? Holy balls. :stare:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Also doesn’t crossfire or whatever the multi amd gpu thing is not require the gpu bridging?

E: but those ones in the pic have the fingers for it nm :downs:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

pcie4 actually needs $ pumped into the boards for signal integrity reasons so they are gonna say AMD RYZEN 3000 with PCIe 4.0*

* only on X570

** only on slot 1

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Most likely those boards can have the bios updated via IPMI?

gently caress up the BMC and then you’re hooped, though :haw: (unless it has a usb boot & flash option)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

:stare: maybe I missed some discussion on this but I thought those were filled with glycol or stuff that wouldn’t allow it to be filled up with organic goop.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I went from no side window case to my tempered glass sides phanteks and I love it :colbert:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

I went from no side windows on a Fractal Design R5 to tempered glass/RGB everything on a Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic

:coal:

Nice, I dig it. My only lights are from my aorus gpu so it’s fairly subdued.

Being able to change the colours based on temperature is a neat feature.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I really hope the new Eypc gen has similar backwards compatibility so Dell doesn't drag their feet getting the new chips out the door. I have a looming project that could really benefit from doubling the core density

Yeah it’s drop in compatible with Naples. (Epyc 1)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It's probably if the chipset attached slots/M.2s are running at PCIe Gen4, they have an increased power draw due to doubling the signalling rate along with potentially having to increase the signal drive strength etc.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is there any call for TB3 on desktop boards though? Can barely get USB 3.2 type Cs on boards as is.

E: Sorry 3.1 10Gb/s, poo poo’s confusing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Broken Machine posted:

I'd like it for eGPU and AMD is a much better value than Intel right now.

Are there PCIe addin cards available for AMD motherboards? Might be a solution. I just have my doubts we’ll see thunderbolt on many motherboards if any. Hopefully wrong though!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Please, my father’s name is Threadripper!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I like my tempered glass side panel :shrug: It’s very sound dampening.

The asus LEDs change colour based on temperature so it is kind of neat to monitor the gpu temperature that way. I don’t actually have any other leds in the case tho.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I like Phanteks cases. The Enthoo Evolv is my current one and it’s great with a uATX in there. They have less fancy cases that are really solid too.

Corsair and Fractal Designs are my other favs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I had an acer ferrari branded laptop that was a turion 64 and it was actually a great machine. Didn’t give a crap about ferrari or anything, the specs to price ratio was really good at the time. Was actually fine for gaming and solidly built.

That was my first and only amd laptop

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The power management was absolute crap on those things. Sure, if you were using it as a portable desktop always on AC it was ok, but holy hell was the battery life bad compared to what Intel was offering.

Yeah it was basically a portable desktop for me and I was on ac when I used it, but I recall could get a couple hours off it if I had to.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Those are 5W or less parts, laptop CPUs will always be able to do more with 15W or whatever parts are typically in bigger laptops.

Put 2 in for SMP :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FanofPortals posted:

Running Google Chrome

Can they add RAM fast enough to keep ahead of it though? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

Lrdimm support hell yeah gonna make me a 1tb workstation monster

Malcolm XML posted:

I will NEVER download more ram

Throw your SSD in the trash!!