Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Pryor on Fire posted:

So all these developers who have been torturing the poo poo our of their macs for 10 years with vms (so many threads! the horror!) have just gotten super lucky I guess? Just seems like some bullshit to me.

A lot of people who want ECC are using ZFS via Freenas or something else where ECC is kind of important to the ZFS filesystem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Don't you want your ram clocked up as fast as it can go for Ryzen chips? That's the only concern I see but I haven't kept up on things.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

ufarn posted:

Any news on the supposed issue AMD CPUs have with Nvidia GFXes compared to Nvidia as AdoredTV pointed out?

I'm still considering an AMD CPU, but with poor game performance on a future Nvidia card, I feel like I still have to go with Intel.

If you mean that thing where Rise of the Tomb Raider was running worse on amd cpus compared to intel cpus Crystal Dynamics just patched their game to fix that late last month.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Rise-Tomb-Raider-Gets-Ryzen-Performance-Update

Probably means developers are going to need to keep Ryzen in mind when making PC games in the future but it was totally fixable.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Well they're being sold at like $80 so yeah once that doesn't work out ET hole it is.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

PerrineClostermann posted:

Isn't that still in appeal?

Yup.

edit: looks like they're going to rule on it sometime in 2018. Maybe.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 27, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

SourKraut posted:

:lawyers:

If it's one thing Back to the Future 2 guessed significantly wrong, it was the legal system.

Yup. Also looks like the ruling actually is in September.

http://fortune.com/2017/06/30/eu-antirust-intel/

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Seamonster posted:

But you have to buy good RAM ($$$becauseDRAMpricingisfuuuuucked$$$$) to get the better out of any Ryzen so don't think you can just plonk down a couple of bills and call it done. Still better than Intel pricing on mobo+cpu.

Coffee Lake likes better memory too (for at least the witcher 3 I guess). Got beaten with the table

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I'll be fine with my 3550 til Zen 2. Probably.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

sincx posted:

Isn't it because of the DRM?

That was the initial thought but someone tried to optimize the game and found out it was an Arkham Knight situation all over again.

The game constantly loads in, loads out, and then loads back in textures and other stuff causing a lot of driver overhead. It also isn't constrained by disk speed so a nvme ssd somehow exacerbates the problem? It's some dumb poo poo

edit: https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/tag/sk_odyssey

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Space Racist posted:

I'm honestly curious how many CPU upgrades AssCreed Odyssey has spurred. I know it pushed me over the edge when it was 100%ing my old 6700K.

I'm running into this with Hitman 2018 on some maps. Mumbai makes my 1080ti drop down to 20 or 30 fps sometimes at 1440p. Kind of sucks but there's nothing I can really do about it for now. Poor i5-3550 can only do so much.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

denuvo is a hell of a drug.

It ended up not being Denuvo but just poo poo programming in general / Arkahm Knight's revenge in which it loads stuff in and out real aggressively and will do that at the speed of your hard disk so if you're on a ssd (or god forbid something stupid like raid 0 nvme ssds) it will create massive driver overhead crushing the cpu.

edit: it doesn't want to leave textures loaded into vram because it's afraid you'll run out of vram so instead it just loads the sames textures into and out of vram thousands of times over the course of an hour.

https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/tag/sk_odyssey

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

incoherent posted:

How the gently caress did it get so bad from origins? literally the same game 1 year apart, CYOA voices, and boat tech.

I was under the impression Origins was also as bad and was the source of all of the "wow look at how bad denuvo and this other drm on top of denuvo hammers the cpu" comments.

I mean they've done two separate performance patches to odyssey since Kaldaien did that write up and did what he could for the game on his end. Latest one added weird microstutters for some people unless you lock the framerate in game with the in game tools (and it has to be locked below 60) though so like...I wouldn't put it past Ubi just being bad at patching poo poo

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

spasticColon posted:

I'm so glad I have no desire to play any of those games because I'm still on a 2500k and waiting for Zen 2. I do want to play Cyberpunk 2077 when it finally comes out but I'll have a new system by then.

I'm having troubles with Sekiro which is a game I didn't expect to have issues with due to my 1080ti but it's dropping frames since I'm on an i5-3550. It'll drop to around 50 fps in some situations. Any OBS software streaming drops it to 40ish fps most of the time and alt-tabbing while the game is running slows chrome down a lot.

I'm very tempted to just drop $420-$450ish on a 2600x, mobo, and ram and reuse everything else but I'm still trying to wait for Zen2.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

ufarn posted:

Sekiro seems to have some issue with loading new map data or something. I don't recall FPS issues during fights, but it's very noticeable when you transition between areas. I don't know whether it's an issue on the CPU/GPU side, and it's not for lack of memory and SSD storage. I think it might have been Digital Foundry who also talked about it.

Streaming issues makes more sense based on your CPU, though, just don't expect stuttering to disappear completely.

Yeah I know about the stuttering issues. This was more "walk into the Bull bossfight and approach the bull before it breaks out and the framerate dropped to the 50s til most the physics objects are inactive.

edit: I'm more making upgrade decisions on "Oh wow I finished it but Metro Exodus ran kinda bad sometimes even on the high preset even though it should run well on ultra with a 1080ti" and "...I guess I do want to play AC:O sometime" along with "wow BF1 ran like rear end a couple years ago but I guess I stopped caring about battlefield since none of my friends play it anymore so no big loss"

edit 2: Though yeah at this point most games are still fine with the 3550. I partly wanna upgrade just because and partly "huh the 3550 nearly cooked itself when the fan started to fail and I didn't realize it for an hour or so"

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 1, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

pofcorn posted:

Enable retpoline if you haven't already. Requires Windows 10 1809. It helped with my 3770, less hitching and lower CPU usage.

Yeah I recently did that and it certainly helped some with Metro Exodus.

edit: My other consideration for waiting on Zen2 is because I'm running around with a 2560x1440@144hz gsync monitor so Zen2's (hopefully) faster single-threaded performance would be nice.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 1, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1118124767934959617

8 core Zen 2 and a custom Navi GPU with Ray tracing support.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 16, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

What? Hardware support? So I guess it'll be in Navi cards, too?

It is a custom navi but yeah. This is more confirmation that Navi probably is supporting hardware raytracing

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

shrike82 posted:

I'm more surprised about the mention of an SSD tbh

From the sounds of things in the article Cerny wanted to put a SSD in the ps4 but they were too costly back then.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

“raw bandwidth” sounds like they might cheap out on the interconnect, though I’m not sure exactly how they would do that

Raw bandwidth could just mean "it's a pcie4 ssd. Sure it only goes up to nvme speeds at best but..."

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Definitely glad about upgrading from a 1070 to a used 1080ti for $300ish after reselling the 1070 instead of waiting for the RTX cards. Though the 3550 held it back a lot in metro exodus/few other things wrt to low end framerate. Really hoping Zen2 is good.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

There's supposed to be some Navi news during E3 so there's always time to put off talking about it

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Deuce posted:

But my frames

Generally NVENC loses less frames than CPU streaming would if your CPU is too weak for CPU streaming. 'course the downside is you need way more bitrate to make it look as good as cpu streaming (probably too much to stream it unless you're on at least 30 mbit up). NVENC has been improving each nvidia generation though.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 25, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

K8.0 posted:

While core count limitations matter, the bigger thing that tends to hold back Sandy/Ivy systems is that most people bought 1333mhz ram, which in hindsight turned out to be a really stupid idea.

I picked up 2200mhz ram at some point but my i5-3550 still ends up having troubles when paired with a 1080ti on a couple games that really prefer more cores (hey metro exodus you kinda ran poorly at 1440p depending on what was going on even on medium sometimes) I finished the game anyway but am definitely feeling the CPU being old now on some things

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

3950X is $750

Ouch

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wait, what?

How?

:dice: finds a way

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I'll just add anecdotally that Hitman 2 had places in missions where it runs at like 30 fps on my 1080ti with an i5-3550 at 2560x1440 so like that game has some optimization issues on some maps.

Mainly thinking of Mumbai and Sapienza though parts of Miami and a few others had drops too. Kinda wish those graphs had 1% frame rates and said which map because something like hawke bay averaged 120+ whule the ICA tutorial was more like 60-80.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 13, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Pretty sure I was on base the entire time so dunno what my dumb computer does. It's been awhile since I played the game though. Fell off sometime after the first elusive target

Edit: unless that wasn't an option at all when the game launched and defaulted to higher than base. That could explain some of it. Sapienza still ran poorly in the town square/circle near the beach but whatever

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Zotix posted:

This is exactly what my 3570k is doing as well.

Honestly same but 3550 and BF1. I didn't bother trying BF5. Glad most games are going with unreal instead of the timeline where frostbyte somehow became a giant engine

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Icept posted:

It's pretty wild that you can get a B450 board with BIOS flashback and a 3600 for less than the price of a 9700K.

Honestly that's nuts. I'm over here on an i5-3550 with a 1080ti and a 144/165hz 1440p monitor trying to decide what I want to do. On the one hand hitting 120+ fps is something I want. On the other hand I don't know if I care that much to spend 9700k prices. Not like I'm going to stream poo poo and if I ever need to re encode stuff I have a haswell 4core Xeon in a nas thing.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

K8.0 posted:

The takeaway : the 3600 is an even better buy than we thought, because you will absolutely be able to get some class action money from AMD at some point if you buy one.

what'd AMD do to make that a possibility?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The way this perfect storm has brewed up with Intel playing catchup on a tech, process, and mindshare basis? If Mubadala were to auction off GloFo to the highest bidder, I think it would be in AMD's interest to at least put in a nominal bid.

It's all highly unlikely of course, but if it were to happen, I can think of a lot of worse problems than having some production back in-house, even if that production is purely licensing Samsung process tech, like GloFo did with 14nm.

Hell of a change from a few years ago when people were praying for AMD to get GloFo's albatross off their neck.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

Any particular reason why an action so seemingly low-key as loading file thumbnails in Windows Explorer is making my 5900x shoot up to 75-80C but an actual CPU-intensive program like Assassin's Creed Vahalla only makes it go as high as (roughly) 70C?

Or is this just PBO being weird?

Probably PBO being PBO as similar sort of things happened with the Zen 2 chips back when the first came out/still happens with them at times I think?

They'd ramp up at a drop of a hat at times which was normal behavior but people freaked out so an AGESA update changed things some.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Good to hear it works fine on a b450 tomahawk MAX. I feel tempted to upgrade my 3600 at some point too but I'd probably have to pull my whole motherboard out to put on an aftermarket cpu fan. Just been using the 3600's stock fan.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

That list also has at least one game (FFXVI) which we explicitly know there's a PC port coming...just not for over a year as YoshiP just said they did a ton of optimizing for PS5 and would need to spend a lot of time reworking the game for PCs

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

lol

He only said that because he can't just go out and say Sony paid for the year. It was the same situation with VIIr and we only know this because Microsoft had to force this fact out via subpoena

He in the same breath said sony had a 6 month exclusivity agreement so kinda weird the other six would be secret but I've seen stupider stuff in the video game industry

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

it could also just be a bad hdmi cable or a hdmi cable that's not able to maintain throughput over a long distance if you're going from PC to TV and there's a long distance between them (the cable is longer than 15-20 feet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

5800X3Ds can spike hot. Don't worry about it.

Mine sure loves to do that. I've paired it with a noctua D12L and it likes to average/just hang out at the high 70s to 80 for BG3 set at 120fps when in conversations without undervolting. Haven't actually checked with doing that yet.

I don't really understand how to use core cycler or other things to test an undervolt (and just setting it to -30 had it crash after a couple hours of ff14 so I turned that down to -15 for now. If it ever crashes again I'll just drop it to -10 or turn it off altogether.