Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Seems Gigabyte already has released their X570S motherboards.. this white "content creator" X570S Aero G edition looks quite cool.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570S-AERO-G-rev-10/gallery#gallery

They have more models listed in https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Socket-AM4

Chipset fans are a big no no.. I haven't had one in ages and I simply don't want any more of them. If there's one it just means the design is poo poo.. even if they claim it doesn't have to run at least too often.

Those gigabyte mobos also support 11cm long M.2 drives which is good. I have a pcie riser for my 11cm drive because my old Asus board supports only up to 8cm long, so I could get rid of the ugly riser.

Edit: so nice layout too. I hate my Asus boards where they jam fan connectors et. BELOW the cpu cooler - it's impossible to route the cables nicely or even plug it on when the cooler is mounted. Gigabyte has none of that crap.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Yes, and all should be passively cooled. I don't mind them releasing new mobos, since my last AMD board was with X2 4400+ or something.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

But what am I going to do with all the money then, if not unsound financial decisions :shepspends:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

K8.0 posted:

The design is still poo poo and they're still lovely little fans that will fail prematurely. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to hate. AMD deserves to be poo poo on for not doing a better job for x570, even though the platform is perfectly fine.

Well they are trying. The X570S is the same chip, but with new "firmware" or something, which allows the chip to run cooler and makes it easier/cheaper for mobo manufacturers to sell passively cooled motherboards.

Sad if Gigabyte's software side sucks. They make cool looking motherboards with good features... At least I haven't had problems with Asus bios.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I think my old PC's didn't have motherboard fans. Even cpu's didn't have fans. Then at some point manufacturers started to introduce fans. From the beginning I had custom coolers in my K7 500mhz Athlon, I bought a Zalman chipset cooler to get rid of chipset fans.. like this:

I still have it, but I'm not sure if it will fit a new X570 motherboard, or will it be enough cooling for the chipset? Will the chipset cooler be too tall with a RTX 3080 & 2x120mm fans on it?

Eventually in 2008 the problem was finally solved from the factory when my Asus P6T Deluxe had solid heatsinks and heatpipes on the motherboard and VRM's..:

I have hated chipset fans with a passion since I first got my first motherboard with one, and I've actively avoided them since. I see no point in buying something which I simply hate. I'd be wasting my time and money trying to figure out an alternative cooling solution, possibly voiding the warranty etc. It's simply so much easier to leave poo poo products at store shelves and let some other people who don't mind the built-in features buy them.. I definitely don't have to buy products I don't like :v:

Life is easy and simple without chipset fans. Just don't buy motherboards with one. Someone will always make motherboards without chipset fans, so why buy mobos which have one? There's simply no reason at all.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 19, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

AutismVaccine posted:

The most important thing is to use the direct to CPU M2 socket for the SSD. Dont give the chipset anything to do and all is good. If there isnt a 0RPM mode patched in, just return the board.

So why buy a mobo with an expensive, feature-loaded chipset if you are actively trying to avoid using the features? :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

orcane posted:

$5 Enterprise keys off Ebay so you can set group policies the :turianass: Professional :turianass: version has been ignoring since 2015 or whatever.

I have been doing this. Cheap and you get the most comprehensive version of win10.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

CoolCab posted:

oh, lol, that very same aforementioned guy who bought the wrong kind of SSD (and had to sell it at a loss because he lost his receipt) also an unrelated time walked into some retail place and bought high end 7200RPM drives for his NAS, then lost the receipt. maybe he was a special case.

One could just scan the recipts straight to Google Drive before walking out of the shop...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Intel 10nm desktop CPU's and Zen3+ should release in Q4. Intel has 8+8 cores and Zen3+ has 32MB? of extra cache which is good especially in games. AMD promises 15% faster gaming on average with the new cache.

I'd like to upgrade to Intel or AMD, depending on which turns out to be faster in games. I could then move my 8700K to my HTPC to replace the ancient i7 920...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nice. That is a lot of cache then :v: Hopefully the new Intel won't be too fast, I'd really like to buy an AMD product again!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It's so much easier to dump heat to air or water. How about nothing or rock? Sounds a lot harder.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Remember to order a CPU ASAP if you want it. Someone developed a new "raptoreum" coin which mines with CPU and benefits from large L3 cache. You can imagine what will happen to the 3D cache ryzen availability. I'd imagine the 5900x equivalent 3d cache version being $1000-$1500 if the raptoreum coin takes off. You can earn $4 already excluding electricity costs today with current L3 cache models.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Cyberpunk gives huge gains with more cores/clocks/IPC. I got up to 50% more fps with 8700k->12700k. Same memory, 3600cl15 ddr4, same rtx 3080 with dlss and rtx on. I had 100% cpu usage with the 8700k on task manager.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I want to see a 1440-2160P RTX results too please thank you.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I see lots of cool scifi poo poo in scifi movies. RGB allows the consumer to have a tiny slice of that scifi dream in their life. I thought I'd never get rgb. I even bought a case without a window. Then one day I thought hmm how it would look like with a window? Then welp..

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

AutismVaccine posted:

If the 5800x3D wouldnt cost 400€ here in Austria, i would buy it for Stellaris alone.

Can't you order it from Mindfactory? Or is it only for Deutschland?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Update: made it five days and one hour before a crash. System is still a pile of poo poo. Next disposable paycheque will be going towards a 13700KF.

My 12700K crashed on desktop while idle, never under load, every few weeks. With bios updates the crashes stopped, seems the improved *stability* patch notes on bioses actually helped. This is with ddr4 and ASUS z690 strix a motherboard.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 11, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

I'm getting the feeling that "ASUS" is a killing word.

Previous motherboards, including Asus P6T Deluxe and Asus Maximus X Hero worked fine. This Z690 board had stability issues which were luckily enough solved, hopefully, fingers crossed. Haven't had any crashes since Christmas when I upgraded my bios from 09xx to 22xx. Are other motherboard manufacturers any better?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Do not ever install ASUS software. Use OpenRGB instead.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Tbh sounds like the amd boards are still as bad as 20 years ago.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

So at least some mobo OEM's are releasing updated BIOS'es that also have that UEFI fix that addresses all those new super hosed attacks that got brought up a while back.

The Gigabyte one is still in beta but so far so good as far as I can tell for stability. Didn't do a thing to improve overclocking the RAM or anything but seems no worse as well. Dunno if it really plugs all those security holes though.

So when are are going to ban use of C and C++ globally? Insane amounts of absurdly hazardous security vulnerabilities are written with them every day, because the languages and their base concepts are thoroughly rotten to the core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I wouldn’t care so much if the issues didn’t cause so much wasted effort. Old memory settings did not work with new logofail patched bios, and I had to spend a few hours readjusting and testing again.

All this because some guy didn’t bother to validate the input, and just blindly assumed the images will be of some nicely behaved dimensions. Directly accessing memory will end up with tons of more or less critical security issues every time it seems. So many of them just haven’t been found yet.