Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

isnt amd doing an entirely different chipset for itx?

Kind of. AMD announce five different chipsets for AM4 of which two, the X300 and the A200, were for SFF PCs. So far I believe we've only seen boards based on X370 and B350.

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

More specifically, Ryzen processors that ends with an X reports temperatures that are 20 degrees hotter than they actually are. It presumably has something to do with the eXtended Frequency Range thingy they have, but I don't think AMD has given any details.

Level1 techs made a video where they theorized about it if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoE1s0pqjv0

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

No, actually that says that 2% more of the Passmark runs were done on AMD systems. Which isn't quite the same thing, especially when Ryzen has performance problems that need a lot of tweaking to tune up properly. They don't even dedupe down to actual unique users, it's literally "runs of the software". Run it five times, you go in 5 times.

Steam results are probably going to be a little more meaningful, or some other source of data on actual systems as opposed to number of benchmark runs.

In that case, bad news for AMD:

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Depends on how far you want to overclock it. Kyle at Bitwit got his 1700 to 4 GHz with a Noctua cooler, but only to 3.9 GHz with the Spire.

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 2, 2017

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Since we're linking to Videocardz.com, anyone feel like a 48 core "Starship" chip on 7nm next year?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I'm just waiting for the APUs to have 16 or 32GB of HBM2 memory onboard and smoke the crap out of most of the discrete GPU systems out there. You can save a ton of cash by having everything on a system board the size of a postcard, and parley that into a thinner lighter product, or a product that's like 60% battery by volume.

Actually, I'd be super interested in an AMD CPU in a laptop with 16-32GB of HBM2 even without the integrated graphics.

I wonder if it would be possible to have off-socket HBM, or if the 8 shitzillion traces would cause it to fail miserably.

According to Fuad Abazovic, one 4GB stack of HBM2 memory costs $80. 16GB ($320) on a laptop CPU is not going to happen until prices come down.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Kilson posted:

Are those wooden fans (edit: casings)? I imagine it's some kind of stupid audiophile equipment :v:

Nah, that's just Noctua's signature color scheme.

I presume the cooler on the left is an EPYC cooler?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is the demand constant, are miners buying them for the entire product life?

No, prices on all kinds of cryptocurrency are extremely volatile. One week miners will be buying up every card making them hard to get for actual gamers, next week they sell all their used cards on eBay bringing retail prices crashing down.

In unrelated news. Here is a picture of two Asrock X399 boards. Looks like the official name for the Threadripper socket will be TR4.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

That's a significant improvement.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Can I just say how happy I am that DVI connectors on motherboards seems to finally be dead?

Only in high end motherboads. Here is the Asus Prime B350M-A:

Notice that the video out options are:

1x HDMI
1x DVI-D
1x D-Sub.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

There's no AMD CPU that would drive the onboard graphics output yet, anyway.

Technically the Bristol Ridge APUs released last year can.However I don't think those ever got a retail release.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

shrike82 posted:

I just set up a Ryzen 7 1700 with a 1080 Ti. I've installed the latest chipset drivers.

Is there any other setup I need to do to optimise my system?

Set the Windows Power Plan to Ryzen?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Gamers Nexus has a video giving a quick overview of some of the X399 boards that will be available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oglSj9dUoSo

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Volguus posted:

On newegg.ca the available threadripper motherboards are holy-poo poo expensive. sTR4 is the socket, right? Is there any other? https://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007624%20601301149

The Asus board listed on newegg.ca is their top end board. They have also annouced a low(er) end board, but it looks like it won't be out until a couple of weeks after the Threadripper launch.

priznat posted:

One thing I am trying to figure out is if there are any differences I would care about between the ASRock boards.

The main difference I can see is that the Fatal1ty board has a 10Gb ethernet port in addition to the two gigabit ports of the Taichi. When it comes to sound, the Taichi claims to support " Purity Sound™ 4" while the Fatal1ty instead supports "Creative Sound Blaster™ Cinema 3". Whatever that means.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Opinion:

Lisa Su via WCCFtech transcription

Are those two sentences related, and if so what are the odds of it not being bullshit? Is GloFo in place to do some early pre-risk runs of engineering masks or something similar that might let them drop Ryzen2 late 2018?

According to this article :

quote:

GlobalFoundries has been processing test wafers using 7 nm process technology for clients for several quarters now. The company’s customers are already working on chips that will be made using 7 nm DUV process technology, and the company intends to start risk production of such ICs early in 2018.

So, maybe?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

People with AMD processors should keep an eye out for UEFI updates. Just as with the Intel Managemen Engine, AMD's security features appears to be not entirely secure.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

So apparently the 2700x can be overclocked to 6Ghz, if you use enough liquid Nitrogen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogYess5WelY

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Alpha Mayo posted:

Is it worth paying extra for X470 boards?

Only if you need features not available on older boards. As long as it has an up to date BIOS a B350 board should be fine if it otherwise meets your requirements.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

About StoreMI, Wendell at Level1Techs made a video about how it differs from normal SSD cache stuff. He sounds quite enthusiastic about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbl2dYgjMQ4

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 22, 2018

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Khorne posted:

Are you a big enough fanboy to know that they are kind of the company AMD made a deal with in China so the chinese market has epyc/zen clones made by a chinese company?

I tried to find the chart of the Cyrix lineage, but I failed miserably.

Weren't they sold to VIA nearly 2 decades ago?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Yes, I thought the largest owner of Global Foundries was the Emirate of Abu Dhabi?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

So if anyone here bought a 32 core Threadripper and will at least occasionally use it for gaming, you really should update your drivers.

Benchmarks with new Vs. old drivers here.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Truga posted:

I have it on pretty good authority that epyc2 is going to be 8x8 cores and also a +1 something else. Is there anything that +1 thing could be besides a gpu?

According to everyone's favorite scotsman, Rome will have eight 7nm chiplets with cores tied together with a 14nm uncore chip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVXDOWy4vTU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Adored has apparently heard some of the same rumors as Charlie Demerjian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4xctJOa6bQ

He now sounds confident that Rome will have eight 8 core CCXs around a central controller chip for 64 cores per CPU. He also said something about Rome servers having a single NUMA domain per socket which I guess would mean the memory controller is moved from the CCX to the central chip. Is that feasible?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

3peat posted:

I wanna see one of those chiplets on a GPU package together with 16GB of HBM3 for an unholy reverse APU

Maybe that will be the PS5 Pro.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Biostar at least will support Ryzen 3000 even on A320 boards.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

That's a big fat maybe.

It's now just over 12 hours until Dr. Su's Computex keynote where we'll presumably get some real info.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

So this chart from AMD:

Is that supposed to mean B450 and X470 boards don't need a Bios update to run Ryzen 3000?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Asrock's engineers are apparently still smoking the good stuff. They're making a limited edition $999 X570 motherboard that watercools the god damned chipset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi3eaDKirPI

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

According to the press release the Norwegian computer will have a footprint of only 14.78 m2:

quote:

The system comprises of 1344 compute nodes each equipped with 2 x 64core, next-generation AMD EPYC™ processors, code name ‘Rome’, for a total of 172032 cores installed on a total footprint of only 14.78m2. The total compute power will be close to 6Pflops.

The stats I find for the German computer doesn't directly mention the footprint but 7712 nodes in 41 cabinets probably takes up more space than that.

Edit: Picture of Hazel Zen:

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 8, 2019

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Stuff like this:

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Nobody knows yet. Wait for reviews.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

repiv posted:

It's still not clear what's going on with the new Xbox - Microsoft very specifically said it has hardware-accelerated raytracing, but AMD says RDNA doesn't have HW RT, so either MS is full of poo poo or their semi-custom Navi has RT bolted on.

Or the Raytracing stuff wasn't ready for this years release but will be for next year when, coincidentally, the new consoles will launch.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

surf rock posted:

They're super close in price, so I would be happy to go with the latter, but the latter just visually seems huge to me? I won't have an open case so I don't care about the visual element of it, but I'm not sure how to figure out just on a literal level whether or not it would fit in my planned case (Nanoxia Deep Silence 3 ATX Mid Tower).

According to the spec sheet the Deep Silence 3 can handle coolers up to 165 mm tall. The Dark Rock PRO 4 claims to be only 162.8 mm.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Boards with the X570 chipset are only required if you need PCIe 4. If you don't, there's nothing stopping you from using a $115 B450 board.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

As long as Microsoft is willing to pay for it I'm sure AMD's Semi Custom Division is happy to sell them chips with whatever graphics they want.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Puddin posted:

Also gently caress m2 drive screws when you've misplaced your jewellers driver set.

One of several reasons I think we should have gone with U.2 for desktops and let the laptops have the M.2 drives. I suppose some people really hate cables.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Hardware Unboxed have taken a look at Ryzen 3000 and memory performance and while it mostly doesn't make that much of a difference there are rare occasions when spending some time manually tuning the memory can give significant improvements:

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

It seems GlobalFoundries thinks suing TSMC is more profitable than making 7nm chips. Is there anything in particular they want from this, or are they just emulating SCO and turning themselves into a patent troll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

so Gamers Nexus have apparently gotten some info on the upcoming Threadripper platform: