Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If I can get my finances organized I'm really thinking it's time I built a new main desktop, and the R5 1600X is looking like what I will probably want to build around. Will probably go for an X370 mobo in part just because I want the extra SATA ports. Aside from money being a concern, I really kind of want the motherboards to have a chance to be developed a little longer, too. I really don't like getting first-generation anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VealCutlet posted:

If worried about cash and you're going to OC get the 1600 non x

Newegg is currently showing a $30 price difference between the two, so assuming they remain that close in price I'll probably go with the faster chip.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ardlen posted:

1600 non x comes with a heat sink, and the 1600X does not. That'll increase the price difference.

Still should be in a reasonable range. I love the Scythe cooler I replaced the stock AM3 heatsink with - I figure there should be more options for cooling when I'm ready to buy, anyway. Almost certainly will be sticking with air-cooled everything - a little noise doesn't bother me as long as the cooling is adequate.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Eh, I'm planning on building a new desktop this year around Ryzen, and moving my current 1060 6GB over to it. I plan on sticking at 1080p for some time, so it provides me with more than adequate horsepower. If the stars align to the point that I can get a more serious monitor then I would start considering a more serious videocard.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Scarecow posted:

yes lets just ignore that SMT is not working for AMD cpus in D2 atm

:thejoke:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

nerox posted:

No idea how many times I have seen this and I just now noticed that syringe says Hellman's on it.

I had not caught that before - I love that image.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I, too, always preferred using Colgate for my thermal paste needs.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

NewFatMike posted:

Chromebooks are good though? Starting in the next few weeks, all recent and upcoming models will have full Google Play Store app support, so it makes sense.

Chromebooks are also distributed in a ton of corporate and educational environments. There's a big and expanding market for them.

I recently got an Acer R 11 Chromebook and it has full Play Store support - I've been really happy with it so far. It meets my needs for both laptop and tablet functionality, and aside from a few headaches getting printers set up properly the thing has been great.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know Gigabyte doesn't have the greatest reputation, or at least it didn't, but I've found the BIOS overclocking tools on my old AM3 mobo to be quite friendly and stable.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

KodiakRS posted:

Just pre-ordered a 2700x system because the Phenom II I'm running at the moment is slower than molasses. Of course the Phenom II is still faster than my, once again, dead skylake.

I'm still running a Phenom II but with a little overclocking it is still running okay - I play AAA games on it still, but really need to upgrade. The 2600X is looking like a strong contender.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The last third is google, desperately, in the hopes that someone else has already done the legwork and documented it in detail, only to find a post from 2006 that details your exact problem right down to reproducability, and then has "edit: nm i fixed it" appended to the bottom, with no further posts from that account thereafter.

Or, alternatively, "I found the answer here - it worked perfectly: dead link that goes to a site that no longer exists"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ufarn posted:

Any last-minute advice before I attempt to fix a few crooked pins on my Ryzen CPU? I’ll be very careful, but more than that is needed when a 100% success rate is required.

I’ll be wiggling a toiny flat iFixit screwdriver to bring them upright, then I’ll use a rolled out boxcutter to align them properly. Still don’t know whether, when nor how they might break though.

That sounds a lot like the procedure I used to use salvaging CPUs at a recycling place - I used a probe and a standard razorblade. I was usually successful, too - hope you had good luck with this.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have wanted to buy or build a new system for a long time, but don't have much money to spare. I've got a parts list on NewEgg that is just over $900 built around a 2600x, and I see a Dell system built around 2700x that is on sale for about the same price. Either way I'll be moving my GeForce 1060 6gb from my current machine to serve as the GPU.

My question is, if Ryzen 3 is due out at the beginning of July, how much of a price drop on Ryzen 2 CPUs and mobos should I expect? Should I force myself to wait into next month, or do you think the prices will be pretty flat for a while despite the new chips launching?

Edit: Also, how much performance difference would there be on the Ryzen 2 CPUs between 2400 and 3200 speed RAM?

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 27, 2019

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That 2700X is listed at almost twice as much as a 3600 on NewEgg.

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-3600/p/N82E16819113569?&quicklink=true

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Thanks for the help guys!

Buying the 3600

What price should be looking for, for a motherboard? Seeing that most stuff is either too expensive or out of stock.

I dropped around $200 on an X570 motherboard a few weeks ago, but that was entirely driven by my own preferences and plan for the machine.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My socket AM3 Phenom II 965 BE lasted me a solid 10 years - I just retired it a few weeks ago. It was still handling modern games at 1080p but was really starting to struggle.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah I'm in the same boat, the last computer I built before my current was an AM3 socket MB with a Phenom II X4 965 from 2011, it was still running games "okay" as of November last year but was a bit long in the tooth. Hearing all this deep lore about the AMD dark ages is always very interesting to me... I went from AM3 to AM4 like the whole era of AMD ruin never happened.

:same: I think I went from socket 939 to AM3 to AM4 in terms of what my main desktop was running.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

My brudda. :hi5:

I am eventually gonna get the thing mounted and framed.

I still have my old desktop sitting in the hall awaiting me deciding what to do with it. The thing is a champ. I might gift it to a relative, but should clean it up, update it, and maybe dial back the overclock since I doubt it would be used for games.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'll honestly be surprised if it turns out to be a blanket X470/B450 = No!

I do personally feel a bit relieved that I decided to spring for an X570 on the build I just completed, as I had been considering going with an X470 but decided to go with the newer board to try buy a little more future-proofing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

There have been periods of time when AMD released CPUs on two different sockets. There was a window where you could get the same-name (although technically not identical) Athlon 64 CPU on either socket 754 or socket 939.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I feel like I was lucky with the timing and grabbing an X570 for this build.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what the market segmentation looks like for CPUs and mobos, but what percentage of income/production is linked to producing retail CPUs and mobos versus selling to OEMs and enterprise clients?

If the bulk of the industry makes most of their money off producing chips and boards that go to major players like Dell or Lenovo then being tone-deaf about consumer-oriented products makes more sense.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My thinking was that a Ryzen 5 3600X should do me well for a good bit, and then I have the option to jump up a generation, clock-speed, and core-count. A started off with 32GB of RAM, but could also buy faster memory if needed.

The machine as-is beats CPU-Z benchmarks every time I run it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I can't help but wonder if the heatsink didn't seat properly or has a glitch in the thermal paste or something.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have a socket 939 rockin' an Athlon 64 X2 4800+ and 4GB of DDR sitting in my garage. I haven't booted it in a while, but it was running as a secondary PC when I moved a couple years ago. I would need to throw a GPU in it, but I have a GeForce 9500 GT I could throw into it (the 9800 GTX I had it in it died, I think).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

In terms of my main desktops it pretty much went C64 -> 8088 -> 286 -> P2 350mhz -> P4 1.8ghz -> Athlon 64 4000+ -> Athlon64 X2 4800+ -> Phenom II X4 965 BE -> Ryzen 5 3600X.

I'm not counting secondary machines or other computers I've built or worked on for shits and giggles - my tablets and laptops I've always considered secondary machines, and I have stuff around like a dual-PIII server that I have never really done all that much with other than getting them running.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VIA was usually the worst in my experience.

During 2008 I remember having to deal with onboard video from them, including getting it working in Linux: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UniChrome

And that also brings to mind the S3 ViRGE, the most notable hardware graphics decelerator I am aware of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ViRGE

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

CPU serial number being extended as a unique identifier via javascript to any website you visit would have been way worse than anything we have to deal with today. This was a "feature" for e-com that Intel and Microsoft were going to roll out, so if it had gained traction, it wouldn't be something you could gently caress with like you can with everything else used for browser fingerprinting.

Edit: also, why do you think so much effort is put into tracking technology? If sites could just call navigator.GetIntelFreedomID then there would be no need for any abstract fingerprinting methods to exist.

Didn't it have some disingenuous code-name like Paladin or something?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just built a Ryzen 5 3600X system and it seems more than adequate for my gaming purposes at 1440p. Are the more powerful processors mostly just needed for 4k and concurrent streaming and the like? Multiple displays? Multitasking?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

wasn't there already some cross-over capability from DDR2 and DDR3 in the AM3 era? I think it's only gotten better/easier than that over time

I guess the big question is whether DDR5 is going to be so expensive that it keeps people away from upgrading right away and AMD (and Intel, for that matter) feel like there's still some value to be had in selling chips to people who want to stay with their current boards

I can't speak to that, but there were definitely Intel motherboards that could take either DDR or DDR2 on the market for a while.

https://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=404292&seqNum=3

Edit: I've been in the FILL EVERY SLOT camp for RAM for so long I don't see myself changing. Running 4x8GB 3200 cl16 on my X570 and have been consistently blowing past the average benchmarks in CPU-Z with everything running at stock.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 23, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

A couple of parts came through this week and I put together a janky-rear end, second-hand AMD build: FX-4300, RX 560, 16 GB of DDR3 RAM, and a 240 GB SSD.

Total cost is just a hair over 200 USD.

I don't really know what I'm going to do with this, except I knew I wanted a known working AM3+ motherboard, because those seem much harder to find than the FX CPUs themselves.

If the bug bites me I might snap up an FX-8300 down the line.

I just looked, and aside from some updated processor instruction sets that processor actually underperforms compared to the AM3 Phenom II 965 BE that I just retired. I never had one of the FX series processors, but it seems like going to a faster processor could be helpful.

That said, the biggest problem I was having with the Phenom was those missing instruction sets. With a mild overclock it was still holding its own at 1080p in most games, but things were getting more and more CPU bottlenecked.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ryzen 5a 3600Xtreme2 Obsidian Edition

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

FYI the $100 less Aorus Elite probably does everything you need. 3 NVMe slots is kinda extra, if you really need the third at some point there are always PCIe->NVMe adapter cards which are cheap.

That's the board I built my new system around and I've been really happy with it. It hit the price/feature level I was looking for, and it's been running great. I'm consistently beating the average benchmarks for my 3600X with everything at stock settings and no OC.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Son of a bitch.

Someone take the silkscreen idea, and upscale it into a photographic mosaic portrait of Andy Warhol, then send it to AMD marketing so they don't gently caress that up.

edit: Knowing AMD they'll dilute the idea by ham-fistedly bludgeoning something out resembling Warhol and Basquiat's later collaboration.

edit edit: poo poo, I can see the visual marketing now:

You start with a completely blank canvas, top-down. Quiet whirring noises of machinery are heard as a silkscreen frame slowly moves obscures your view of the canvas, and is lowered. You hear a frankly disgusting splortch of a glop of paint, and then photocopier noises as a squeegee passes through. When the entire apparatus lifts up, you see a die shot. It's one core. That one core could be K6, K6-III, K7, could even be a single Zen core. Whatever. Doesn't matter. The point is the slowness of the frame and squeegee.

Slide projector noises accompany a pan over to a new section of blank canvas. Repeat the above, but this time, faster, and we've got two cores. Again, could be Athlon 64 X2, could be two Zen cores.

Repeat the above. This time, four cores, but even faster. Can make a gag here with Bulldozer, but then there's crashing noises, sirens, catawampus, and then they start over on another section of canvas with a full Zen CCX.

Repeat, again, faster, but with a Zen die. And another Zen die, and another, with the gap between silkscreens getting smaller and smaller until they start printing multiple Zen dies at once, then Zen+, then Zen 2. At this point, things should be moving so fast that they start to blur together to give you the transitions that you need between the Zen generations, you can blend the slide projector noises into the sound of continuously running photocopier noise, and then a whooshing noise of wind rushing past. And then we break from the top-down view and start to see hundreds of millions of wafer silkscreens, zooming out until you get that photographic mosaic of Andy Warhol.

See, I was thinking more:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

"Class. Style. These words used to mean something. Here at Intel they still do. Enjoy your computing knowing that the chips powering it have classic design sensibilities, with the elegant curves and complex thermal profiles only possible with tried and true 14nm processes."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm running the stock cooler on my 3600X and it's doing just fine with temps.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anyone else seeing what looks like a reduction in performance in Windows 10 build 2004 versus 1909?

I haven't thoroughly looked into it yet, but since running the update my CPU-Z benchmark is a little lower and I seem to be taking a small hit in fps in games.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

Do you have Hyper-V enabled now whereas you didn't have it enabled before (enabling Memory Isolation in Defender activates Hyper-V as well, as does Sandbox, WSL2 or Application Guard)? That tends to reduce performance by a bit

I'll check when I boot back into Windows later tonight. Thanks!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

An update on my experience with Windows 10 build 2004:

I was lazy and did nothing and my last benchmarks were better. I suspect it may have been indexing after the update and that was dragging the performance down.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm glad the timing worked out so that I ordered all my parts for my current computer in April, and stuff arrived just fine. I also managed to grab a monitor in stock and got it shipped just fine. The only headache with shipping I had recently was Best Buy being dumb and bad about a videocard, and my order from NewEgg for a similar card worked out just fine.

I just received a wireless adapter from NewEgg that was a bit delayed by the postal service, and then delivered to the wrong house, but the neighbor brought it to me so it all worked out in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My 3600X doesn't break 80C under load, but my room temperature has generally been lower than yours. I think the stock 3600X cooler is a bit better than the 3600, too.

Under load I've been maxing out at 78C with my room temperature being 70 to 75 Fahrenheit.