Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

AMD will always have lovely chipsets and building them into the processor won't change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you've got two identical CPUs and one of them gets 40 degrees hotter than the other, you need to do a better job with the heatsink and thermal paste.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I really think they should just be re-using the old names that people remember well. Athlon. Opteron. But what do I know.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I won't even buy RAM with heatspreaders, let alone lights

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cygni posted:

Not sure if this has been posted before but wccftech posted a leaked lineup for TR:

Hmm, as a budget minded builder that fastest 12/24 model looks most tempting.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mr.Radar posted:

The Scottish dude is done with AMD and won't release any more (public) speculation videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU5h0MYpmfg

lol video removed

If I never see another AdoredTV "leak" it'll be too soon

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

peepsalot posted:

With the whole multiple chiplet design AMD are going with, it seems like it would make sense to put some HBM in the package to provide huge cache of high bandwidth RAM. I wonder if anything like that is in the plans for future gen chips.
Or is there some reason that this sort of idea doesn't really make sense?

A little bit of HBM would be perfect for a mobile APU (or any high-performance APU but the desktop market for such a thing can just buy a real graphics card)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cygni posted:

If you bought a FX-8120, FX-8150, FX-8320, FX-8350, FX-8370, FX-9370, or FX-9590 from AMD.com or at a retailer in California, you may be able to get some money from a false advertising class action settlement regarding Bulldozer having 8 "cores".

AMD has to put the money aside, so it doesnt impact AMD's bottom line whether you file or not.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14804/amd-settlement

I wonder if Newegg counts as "at a retailer in California."

My FX-8350 got fried a year and a half ago but I'll print out the receipt for it for $35

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I use a 27" 1080p display. I have extremely poor eyesight. I don't think I'd be able to read text on a 4k screen this size.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I remember old Intel 775 mobos having massive heatsink assemblies with heatpipes connecting the VRM to the northbridge to the southbridge. I know the 90nm integrated graphics northbridges back then were 25-30W and they were almost all passively cooled.

So idk what AMD is thinking

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Newegg has what look like some decent combo deals on Gigabyte motherboards and AMD processors... I wasn't planning to build something new right now but it is very tempting.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Techspot has iGPU benchmarks - https://www.techspot.com/review/2003-amd-ryzen-4000/

It's now better than the cheapest NV discrete chips, the MX GPU's. It's still only about half as fast as a GTX 1650 Max-Q in a GPU bottlenecked situation, but if you play at low settings which are more CPU bound, it competes a lot better.

Not bad at all.

A APU that offers "good enough" 1080p gaming crosses an important threshold for a lot of people. Vega 11 wasn't quite there.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I suppose it's old-fashioned, but I don't trust liquid coolers. I trust big hunks of aluminum and copper. I think they look a lot cooler, too. But I don't do RGB

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the answer key for the 3600 is

you should probably be able to infer where the thermal paste should be for a dual chiplet

I'd probably just diagonal line that

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just accept when I build a new PC that I'm going to use it for 5+ years with maybe a graphics card and RAM upgrade, and have to replace almost everything when the CPU eventually isn't fast enough or the mobo dies. Whether it's AMD or Intel inside.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

gotta put the X in front of the number, X3700X

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Completely and absolutely correct use of your 64 Cores and 128 Threads

Sped up 5x from realtime to achieve sync.

Hmmm.... maybe we need to get the Intel guys in on this. Larrabee or Xeon Phi could do better resolution with a hojillion threads...

is there a Doom port for the task manager

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If we can call 500MB half a gig I am going to start calling 500GB half a teb

teb

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Some Goon posted:

Shouldna it be ter? They don't get called gibs.

ok, terb then, terb is a funny word

half a terb

20 terbs

Urban Dictionary tells me a terb is a man with a huge penis, which seems appropriate.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There are cheap X570 boards cheaper than some B550 boards now. I'm not a fan of the... fan, but that's a more compelling option.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

sean10mm posted:

Real world prices are all over the place because of the 'rona, but if we're going by MSRP then like the ~$180 B550 boards look noticeably less barebones than the X570 boards.

Like on Asrock comparing the x570 Pro4 to the B550 Steel Legend, the B550 board adds 2.5g lan, front panel USB-c, better onboard audio and 14 power phase design instead of 10.

Going much over that price point on B550 does seem like it would be kind of dumb though.

Definitely, but I've been looking closely at the specs comparing boards and it looks to me like the really well-featured B550 boards also make a lot of compromises.

Compromises like using the second M.2 slot deactivates the PCIe x4 slot, the 5th and 6th SATA ports are shared with one of the x1 slots, etc. Whereas X570 boards don't do that even if they appear to have fewer bells and whistles. That sort of thing probably won't affect very many people but it's something I just don't like having to worry about. It probably helps that I don't like flashy stuff anyway.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cygni posted:

Are u a bad enough dude

tfw you put a mITX board in a tower case so it can use a 360mm radiator

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

shrike82 posted:

Have any of you successfully built a high-end SFF PC with a high-end GPU (e.g., 2080Ti) and if so, what kind of thermals do you get?

I wish this one was mine:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Aside from the custom console silicon, AMD's APU graphics have always been a generation behind the discrete GPUs and I don't imagine that will change.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Adored's navi predictions were also very funny, and he disappeared for a few months after getting everything wrong on that one

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My inclination is to go X570 due to those limitations, because I'll probably use it for 5-6 years and 4 years from now I don't want to stick a card in a slot and have it not work and then have to think about it

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There should be more and better PCIe gen 4 SSDs coming soon, by the end of summer or at least by the end of the year.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I suppose we're all going to have to defer buying new PCs until PCIe 5.0 becomes available with Zen 4. It's either that or lobby for PCIe 4.0 x16 NMEs if you want to avoid being humiliated any time you meet a PS5 owner.

And really, at that point PCIe 6.0 will be just around the corner. Probably best to put off playing Cyberpunk 2077 until then to do it justice.

Why, so you can load a game in 10 seconds instead of 11 seconds? Who cares that much?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wish AMD had an equivalent of the Intel Ark. They kind of have that information on their site, but in a much more annoying format.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Literally every tech blogger with "leaks" and "inside sources" about Zen 2 was proven to be full of poo poo. We didn't know anything about Zen 2 until Mama Su fed it to us straight from her beak, and it looks like Zen 3 will be the same.

Those same tech bloggers with "leaks" about RDNA/Navi were also completely wrong about it, so at this point I won't trust any source on anything AMD. Zen 3 will probably be great! But I am going to wait for real reviews.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Part of me hopes for a comedy option board that can run either DDR4 or DDR5 but not both at once, like in the transition to DDR2 days.

If anyone makes it, it will be Asrock

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

pixaal posted:

I have a server at work with 512GB of RAM (not that impressive) if you want to think about how that's as much space as most harddrives being shipped since everything seems to come with a 500GB SSD now.

I suppose we've always maintained those... proportions?

Back when consumer PCs shipped with 16-32MB of RAM and a 2GB hard drive, a big, expensive server might have had about 2GB of RAM.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I also wouldn't get A520 if the CPU you're looking at uses more then 95W TDP. But at that point you're already spending more than "modest budget" money.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

One other point: the APUs are monolithic. A chiplet-based APU would be pretty interesting since they could release models with different sized GPUs. Smaller, lower power for laptops versus larger and more capable for desktops. Otoh the benefits of a single die may be too much to pass up for anything bound for mobile form factors.

There was a leak a month or two ago claiming a Vega 20 APU exists, though in retrospect I think that was probably the XBox Series S chip (if the leak was legit at all). But I wonder if AMD doesn't have something like that in the works, especially since it looks like the integrated Xe will be as good or a little better than a Vega 8.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

lDDQD posted:

Vega 20 is the Radeon VII / Radeon Instinct MI50

Vega 20 as a brand name, not code name, akin to the Vega 6/7/8 APU GPUs.

E: Yeah it's likely the leak was someone discovering the Macbook Pro GPU existed just prior to its release. Still, I wonder if AMD has considered making a gigantic APU similar to the console processors for computer release.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 22, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah, when your budget is $45, ECS and Biostar are your options. I've used them for computers that had to be dirt cheap and they've been fine for that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm interested in the 5600 and if they hike the price, I'll just get a 3600 instead. But I doubt any price increase will amount to more than ending any discounts Zen2 has, they seem to always be marked $20-25 off.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Even though I'd never use an Intel boxed cooler or wraith stealth, they're ideal for putting a thing together on the desk to make sure it works before assembling it all well. Pretty cheap of them to omit it IMO.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've got a heatsink off a socket 754 processor that I'm pretty sure would still work with AMD's retention mechanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Call them the Wraith Slipstream and Wraith Maelstrom for maximum Threadippery branding.

Wraith Heatripper

This is the cooler that was recommended to me as being cheap but much better than the 212 EVO for AM4 Ryzen at more or less the same low price: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/id-cooling-se-224-xt-basic-se-224-xt-argb/

I don't have a finished system yet to test it though.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 5, 2020