Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

NewFatMike posted:

We did it everyone. We got an mITX AM4 mobo:

https://videocardz.com/press-release/biostar-debuts-worlds-first-mini-itx-motherboard-for-amd-ryzen

I, for one, am excited to get weird with small form factor, underclocked R7s.

E: X370 and B350 chipsets.

Let's be honest, if you aren't in the 5050 LED Fun Zone you're just a basic bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Should have trademarked Threadrypper instead.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

mdxi posted:

:piaa:

Two years ago I was all about trying to build the most effective machines I could: maximizing compute capability with low power usage. Now I want to throw out every machine I own and build something to hold this monster.

It's the monster truck of home computers, you have to build a case that can run over and crush your former, lowly systems.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

FaustianQ posted:

So what you're saying is that you were extremely hyperbolic, maybe even wrong, when stating AMD was overly exposed to crypto and EPYC wasn't being adopted fast enough?

Woah woah, calling him wrong sounds like an ad hominem to me, please stick to the facts :v:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Anyone think AMD is going to follow Intels footsteps and do a Ryzen 9 this next generation?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

NewFatMike posted:

If this is real :shepspends:

That 20CU 8C/16T looks loving bonkers for some VFIO stuff. I desperately want that 3920X. 32C/64T at 5GHz inspires some deeply horny thoughts.

Icept posted:

Anyone think AMD is going to follow Intels footsteps and do a Ryzen 9 this next generation?

Pending actual confirmation...

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Gonna get the 16 core and disable hyperthreading / the AMD equivalent :getin:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
DX12, Vulkan and GPU Compute increases... looks like more FineWine :v:

Still looking forward to the Zen 2 reveal.

Edit: On par with a 2080... not bad but the price will be the big determining factor.

Icept fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 9, 2019

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Can't see it being that competitive on price (considering no RTX features and likely ~2070 performance without cherry-picked titles) when it has 16GB of HMB2...

Probably not going to be impactful, true...

I really love hearing some eSports dude reading a script about Radeon products. Way better than a Zen 2 reveal.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
$699 nah not really

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Probably saving the 16 cores for the 4xxx generation.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
You should be forced to divulge your positions in tech stocks before being allowed to post like Paul.

Also maybe the list of medications you're on.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
So you're telling me that the year of Linux on the desktop is the year where desktops die?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Wasn't Matisse the APU codename?

Edit: Ah thanks, I was confusing it with Picasso

Icept fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 2, 2019

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Who is buying a 2700 anything at this time?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Haven't had the time to go through the material, is there any word on how the CCX distribution is done on the announced models? 4+4 or 8+0 for the 8 core? 6+6 or 8+4 for the 12 core?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Ihmemies posted:

A pc should not have a window. Does your car's bonnet have a window? :iiaca:

It's time for CaRGB (original trademark do not steal)

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Wonder what the floorspace difference is like...

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Drakhoran posted:

According to the press release the Norwegian computer will have a footprint of only 14.78 m2:

That's wild. The amount of cores/m2 is, uh, over 9000.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
for Pro / for Gamer

Looks like true doom murderheads are out of the running on this one

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Was hoping for more impressive results on the games side, but judging by the rear end Creed benchmark, it looks like AMD could really shine when developers start targeting multithreading more aggressively.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
It's pretty wild that you can get a B450 board with BIOS flashback and a 3600 for less than the price of a 9700K.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
And as noted you need a cooler for the 9700K, so it's an even better deal if you're building from scratch.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I recently put together a Ryzen 3600 and an Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 and it's a really awesome system, and overall just great value.

I have a question regarding boost clocks, and apologies if this is the weekly topic, but I can't really get anything worthwhile from Google.

On Intel systems, I'm used to just setting the turbo multiplier at whatever and seeing if it's stable under load.

On the Phantom Gaming 4, you can do this, but then the system never reduces clocks at idle. I tried this at 4.2 GHz and it's completely stable under load at around 1.39V. If I rely on PBO, it will use the same voltage and run at the same temperature, but clock down close to 4.0 GHz. Is there any way to manually set the boost clock and still have the adaptive power states?

The CPU is under a Noctua DH-15 so the temperatures are not getting out of control.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Anecdotally, I had some Corsair LPX 3200 ram that would not get close to that speed on my Asrock X570 board, but had no problem running that speed on an older intel i7 setup.

I was too lazy to spend a lot of time with the timings so I bought a Trident Z Neo 3600 kit that just ran the XMP profile right off the bat with no fiddling.

So that's a recommend from here.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Sure, I figured I was seeing something like that, but the interesting part was that the new RAM was not on the QVL from either the board vendor or the manufacturer.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Techspot has iGPU benchmarks - https://www.techspot.com/review/2003-amd-ryzen-4000/

It's now better than the cheapest NV discrete chips, the MX GPU's. It's still only about half as fast as a GTX 1650 Max-Q in a GPU bottlenecked situation, but if you play at low settings which are more CPU bound, it competes a lot better.

That's pretty cool!

I don't know if it's possible to get a clear comparison, but does anyone know roughly how much discrete MX graphics add to the cost of a given laptop?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The pro move was obviously to get a 3600 and then wait and see what the new console ports require, then get a 4xxx if necessary when the time comes :smug:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I understand this is unwelcome news if you just went out and bought a Tomahawk B450, but maybe we should wait and see if Zen 3 actually makes meaningful improvements?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
You haven't lived unless you had a K6-2 running on an "ALi Aladdin" bluescreening every two hours on you, forcing your pennyless teenage self to learn a ton of poo poo in a futile attempt to make it more stable.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

"Its easy to get ahead if you don't measure tangible things!"

Intel would like you to remember a time when the bits were a little bit warmer and calculations weren't so rushed.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Are they going to do non-X versions? They launched both last time, right?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Just got my 5800X! Everything is setup, let's see what this bad boy can do...

*goes back to browsing for 3080*

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
What's the theoretical use case for the shame chiplet? Running all the Windows / OS / services / background stuff on it and devoting the big boy package to the foreground application?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Agreed... but why are AMD/Intel pursuing it for desktop CPUs? It makes sense for mobile because 80% of the time you're just texting or whatever so there's no reason to burn battery on the big cores.

Or is it just because the desktop CPUs are derived from a common stack with an APU/laptop focus so the smol cores got to happen just by association?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
As someone with both a 3600 and a 5800X, and who has helped build some additional 3600 systems, I'd say that the number one common denominator in bluescreens / freezes / crashes has always been the memory voltage and memory settings.

I would not worry about the CPU voltage until you have exhausted all the options with regards to memory fiddling. The easiest way to go is to set the XMP profile and then adjust the DRAM voltage upwards until stable. At the outset it should be 1.35 and in my cases it has usually been resolved at 1.37

It's quite possible that adjusting SOC voltage will lead to the same or better results, but I can only speak for my own experience.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Give the memory a little more voltage after setting it to the XMP settings. Try it out in 0.01 steps ie. 1.36, 1.37 etc. Don't worry about the CPU.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's DRAM voltage? Very rusty with this aspect. It would make sense - the default is saying 1.20 but the rated voltage is 1.35

edit: I managed to solve the issue by changing the sticks from A1 & B1 to A2 & B2, as well as manually setting the DRAM voltage to 1.300v. It seems to work just great. Cheers for the tip on the voltage thing, I never would have caught that. For some reason it defaulted to 1.200 even in XMP mode.

Glad you got it working! And yeah, if you ever get bored one day, you can spend a long time dialling in specific RAM timings/voltages with Ryzen. It's one of the few areas left for the end user to optimize.

I haven't really bothered myself, but the main DRAM voltage is the one where you can really run into stability issues if it's too low.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Can I mail them my 5800x so they can glue some cache on it? I'll pay for shipping!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

AzureSkys posted:

Everything has tested OK for my uses so far, though I need to do more. Sometimes, though, when booting up it halts and clocks the memory and IF back down. Is this likely just the ram or motherboard being finicky (It's the Asus TUF x570-Plus, which I know is on the budget side of things). I have it all set to the XMP profile for memory at 1.4v and no changes to CPU stuff other than the 2000 fclk. A couple resets later it'll boot OK or I put it at 1966fclk/3933mhz, boot into Windows, reset, put it back to 2000 and then it'll work without issue after many reboots and days. Or maybe I'm doing all of this wrong.

If it were me, I'd just keep it at 1966/3933 permanently.

Alternatively, try 1.405v or 1.41v and see if the problem goes away. I don't think you can avoid having the board retrain the memory if it fails diagnostics on boot.