Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Ah yes it's the engineers fault again that AMD rushed pcie 4.0 to the consumer market, on a crappy old GloFo node chipset and firmware nowhere near ready even for dev boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
8-10% higher ipc, the bulk of performance gain is achieved by the good ol' crowbar which has gained popularity lately.
Ryzen 7000 TDP is going from 105W to 170W, max PPT from 142W to 230W.

https://www.computerbase.de/2022-05/amd-ryzen-7000-raphael-mit-zen-4-soll-singe-core-ueber-15-prozent-zulegen/

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

denereal visease posted:

:eyepop:

and here i thought the 5800X was stupid chip to cool on air

Let's hope AMD show restraint on the early lower core count models, but waiting for the non-X models or grabbing a clearance 5700 soon might be prudent.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Not a lot of chatter about Zen 4 here, seems to have bombed pretty hard in enthusiast circles :smith:
Tbh if I was building an AMD system right now, I'd go for a 5600 or 5800X-3D too.
The efficiency was one of Zen3s main draws, what were they thinking with that thermal turbo nonsense.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Can't you order it from Mindfactory? Or is it only for Deutschland?

They ship to Germany only.
Sad to see the smaller markets get hosed still :smith:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, YMMV. I have an X670E TUF from Asus, and it ate my USB3 flash drive from Samsung formatted with exFAT just fine. At least with the flasher inside the UEFI. —edit: IIRC, I even used a front panel connector. That was unheard of in the past.

What is point of using a USB stick?
On my Asus B660 I just unzipped the bin file to C:\test, and the bios had no trouble reading the entire SSD (I guess as long as it's not encrypted)

Flashing the Intel IME was a pain in the neck though. Using fussy intel software provided and kept up to date by the mobo OEM is :suicide:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Ugh, commiseration on every goon caught up in this :ohdear:
Just the thought of having to rip off the cooler and take the CPU out, and what check for brown spots and bad smells?
I guess DDR5-5600 was the right sweet spot after all. Just out of curiosity, is there a gear 3 for those super fast mem kits?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

wargames posted:

How were they getting above 1.3v?

Good question. What I gleaned is there was a 'list' which assigned unhealthy voltages to the memory controller when DDR5-6000+ modules were installed.
Not sure if it's from AMD, the memory vendors, or the mainboards doing some crummy XMP3.0 to whatever AMDs thing is called conversion.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Fabulousity posted:

I got a half-built computer sitting on my dining room table that will be a 7800X3D on a MSI B650 Tomahawk. Still waiting on the M2 for the main drive so I have it just sitting there partially wired up but all these posts have me just going :catstare:

I figured I'd have to do a BIOS update before attempting to enable EXPO anything but MSI's latest update is dated April 14th and is marked as beta. AMD's official AGESA update to deal with the X3D problem was released on 4/27. Is MSI not having problems or just not caring so far?

What memory did you buy?
If it's 6000 I'd consider returning it for a pack of 5600s that are 100% supported by your mobo.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 28, 2023

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I have no clue what that those twitter pics from last August are supposed to contribute here.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
That is stuff for people who tinker with expert settings. The goon with the half-done build presumably just wants to switch on Expo and save&exit, like many other people.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Arzachel posted:

Oh, they're finally doing a proper chiplet APU?

The monolithic APUs are the 'proper' Zen processors (sadly crippled by low # of PCIe lanes), why would they make a crappy chiplet one that sucks 25W+ in idle spinning plates?
For bottom shelf prebuilt office PCs maybe? No way any laptop vendor would touch that.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 29, 2023

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
This is gonna end with Asus pulling an EVGA but with AMD stuff isn't it.
I don't know why everyone keeps singling them out. Was there any vendor not affected?
Trying to keep up with AMDs flurry of half baked AGESAs would make me not give much of a gently caress either tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

slidebite posted:

I'm a total neophyte when it comes to memory settings, timings, etc for RAM.

Is there a recommended primer to read so I can begin to wrap my head around what looks like gobbledygook to me? Or a vid?

Ah jeez, what system do you need memory for? How much ram?
For a painless, vanilla AM5 desktop just grab one of these:
ADATA XPG LANCER Black Edition DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR5-5600, CL36-36-36 - AX5U5600C3616G-DCLABK
ADATA XPG LANCER White Edition DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR5-5600, CL36-36-36 - AX5U5600C3616G-DCLAWH
Kingston FURY Beast black DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR5-5600, CL36-38-38 - KF556C36BBEK2-32

Cheap-ish, non trash stats, single rank, auto-setup in bios with AMD EXPO similar to the Intel experience (in theory)
Any faster than 5600/5800 and your memory controller might balk, meaning you'd have to tune manually.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 9, 2023