Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

movax posted:

Granted I had no idea Sandy Bridge was going to last me 10+ years,

I’m also hoping the WS X570-ACE isn’t super popular so I can snag one.
Same, My old board is the Sandy Bridge ws revolution.

Best Buy didn't have any new AMD stuff.. I was sick of my old rear end 160gb SSD today and upgraded.

It's better to sleep on these things anyway.. I'd like to know more about that mobo later though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

movax posted:

Anyone preordered / queued up at B&H?

Newegg has the Asus WS X570 In stock so I snagged that at least.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I have no clue about x570 boards, how did you decide on that one?

I'm now realizing I don't need ECC ram which that board supports, it's predecessors were very power efficient and had all the features you need with no gamer bullshit.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/1usmus-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen-3000-zen-2-processors/2.html
Got me a lot closer to 144 fps at 1480p in Borderlands 3

Standing still I get the max my monitor can do (frame capped on gsync) and during action only dips 20fps or so. It's boosted it ~30-40fps for me. I dunno if the motherboard settings helped or the power plan.. I wasn't able to find 2 of the settings.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 7, 2019

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/1usmus-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen-3000-zen-2-processors/2.html
Got me a lot closer to 144 fps at 1480p in Borderlands 3

Standing still I get the max my monitor can do (frame capped on gsync) and during action only dips 20fps or so. It's boosted it ~30-40fps for me. I dunno if the motherboard settings helped or the power plan.. I wasn't able to find 2 of the settings.

As an update to this.. windows is pushing a new power plan update as part of windows update, 1usmus said to try uninstall AMD chipset drivers update windows and then reinstall chipset drivers.

I still gain a few percent gain on his power plan, it doesn't idle as low though. I may reinstall park control and use his plan for a system load and the new windows ryzen plan for idle.

Also Directx 12 doesn't seem utterly broken on borderlands anymore and nets me much FPS on my new modern system.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

pixaal posted:

I dabbled in being a RAM overclocking nerd during the Summer it's surprising how different games react surprisingly different to different RAM timing settings. Lots of room for tinkering there.
What's the secret sauce? Voltage? I tried different timings and 1usmas stuff from techhpowerup and only xmp works for me. Is it increasing voltage or messing with geardown and other obscure things? I have 3700x as well..

I've got a stupid, too expensive OC motherboard as well.. it was all best buy had and I wanted it then.. (Asus x570 rog crosshair viii)

Part of it also may be I also got 32gb ram 2x16 3200 b die

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 22, 2020

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Arzachel posted:

If you want to drive a 240hz (or even 144hz, depending on the game) monitor, there's a pretty good argument for going with a 9900k over Zen 2.
Turning the settings down like 20% from max gets me to 144 fps in most games, other older games I pretty up with DSR at the expense of some fps.
"Dynamic Super Resolution renders a game at a higher, more detailed resolution and intelligently shrinks the result back down to the resolution"

Arzachel posted:

I agree but competitive games are a big reason behind the 144hz push and you want the framerate to be rock solid for that. Ironically though, CSGO is one of the games where it's a wash between AMD and Intel for some reason.
Don't pro gamers run games at lower settings and resolution to max frames anyway?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

While we are on Corsair icue..

I use it just to keep the ram RGB LEDs off, you're saying there's a better way?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You shouldn't buy Corsair for ANYTHING at this point, see my earlier posts about the loving power supply that shat itself before the warranty was out and was replaced by a Seasonic unit almost ten years old by this point without a hiccup.)
Same, I got a Corsair RM650x, 650W, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified for Covid pricing a few weeks ago, since mine was pretty old, it was DOA, I RMA'd it and my old Seasonic was 750 watt and still in the 10 year warranty so I'll wait it out another year.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Based on all my discussions with people, it's the chipset fan.
The thing I've never heard and has probably never spun up because I have excellent airflow, meanwhile the 550 boards disable things if you plug other things in.

I will admit I paid way to much for it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

ufarn posted:

Linus is about to promote the 1usmus custom Ryzen power plan
I've used that plan/followed this guy for almost a year now and my understanding is AMD/Microsoft/Mobo bioses roll some of his changes into the default behaviour now. He seems to be a productive tinkerer.

Seems similar to the MSI afterburner auto "OC scanner"

I still haven't managed to overclock my ram beyond D.O.C.P, but maybe the latest bios that just dropped will help, I feel like it would work if I bumped the voltage, but I have a million options on my overpriced X570 crosshair VIII, me being 2x16gb and technically not on the qvl doesn't help.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 24, 2020

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

The Ryzen (Zen 2) auto overclocker from 1usmus of the dram calculator drops 7pm Eastern
https://mobile.twitter.com/1usmus/status/1310526652758274051

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

What are the "Addition Tweaks"?
All I know is from a linus video, but basically more clocks at a undervolt is the main selling point.

I see you discovered english isn't his first language!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I run a surprising amount of single core stuff, but the 3700x was neat and a good price so I went with it. A lot of games only use like 20-30% cpu with the gpu maxed anyway.

Would it be higher utilization if the games were programmed better multi core? Or is the way it works "you are fine unless your CPU is at 100%"

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Taima posted:

https://www.softnology.biz

but it flags the entire site as a trojan vector.

Website blocked due to trojan
Website blocked: https://www.softnology.biz

Malwarebytes Browser Guard blocked this website because it may contain malware activity.
We strongly recommend you do not continue.
I mean, it's not, but you do you.

When something has low level access like that you could overwrite ram settings with and brick your ram sorta stuff, it can be flagged as such.

Just using it to read your ram info is fine.

There's a message on the page saying it will be detected as such, but that's where I got mine from.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

EngineerJoe posted:

Is there anywhere where I can read about the Asus bios and why there's duplicated sections with slightly different options?

On my Asus Tuf Pro x570 with 5900x cpu I have a PBO section under AI Tweaker and another PBO section under the "AMD Overclocking" section.

The AMD Overclocking PBO has the new curve optimizer and I can set EDC/etc to "motherboard limits". For EDC this is 190A apparently. I easily hit this with my cpu.

The other PBO allows me to set the value to whatever I want and I do see the usage in Ryzen Master go higher than 190 (about 210). The performance isn't any better though, in fact I think it's worse which leads me to believe it isn't the same thing.
I would also like to know this, I suspect it's why my ram overclocking has always failed.

You can set timings in 2 sections and even setting both the same doesn't boot with manually entered mild safe docp/xmp settings.

Setting docp on the main ram page for what the ram is rated for does work though.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I have a blower model his radeon-hd-6970
https://www.newegg.com/his-radeon-hd-6970-h697f2g2m/p/N82E16814161356?item=N82E16814161356

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

My ram is not approved and does the xmp/docp fine at auto voltage 2x16gb 32gb 3200 rated

Someday I'll experiment again with overclocking out a little more speed, there has been like 5 bios updates that were all supposed to help, but I'm no good at it, even with multiple guides.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Old paste from 20 years ago definitely turned to a hard crust after 5-7 years, modern paste still does a little bit in my experience, but not near as bad.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I've got the 3700X but these newfangled zens would only be 5-15% better on paper and negligible for 4k right?

And be hotter and use more power?
Is the allure they are much better on single threaded stuff? I have a few games that are like that, but meh.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Palladium posted:

Long story short: OCing isn't a simple straightforward one-button thing, but vendors pretend it is as a feature to sell boards to people who don't know any better.
Sure it is, for the CPU and GPU.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/clocktuner-2-for-ryzen-(ctr)-guide,1.html
This is the guy behind the DRAM calculator and Nvidia makes a mild Auto OC easy.

You still need to have a robust board to eke out your 50-200+ mhz. Ram can go high, but I haven't figured it out and use XMP/D.O.C.P for my sticks rating

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

This has happened to several goons in this thread, another tip was to twist the cooler off, some of them say that in their directions.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

There seems to be a fair amount of magic and/or voodoo involved in over-clocking these days, so yeah, it would be real nice to have some robust tuning software like that. Maybe there's just too much turnover in mobos/cpus to make such a thing worthwhile, although the AM4 has had a nice run.

I post this guy every 20 pages or so.. no one ever comments though. It exists.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Sure it is, for the CPU and GPU.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/clocktuner-2-for-ryzen-(ctr)-guide,1.html
This is the guy behind the DRAM calculator and Nvidia makes a mild Auto OC easy.

You still need to have a robust board to eke out your 50-200+ mhz. Ram can go high, but I haven't figured it out and use XMP/D.O.C.P for my sticks rating

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

SourKraut posted:

200mm fans are still not ideal though.
How so? What's all this about negative pressure?

I've had a silverstone 90° rotated case with 3 180mm fans on bottom and one 120mm on top for 8 years and my temps are better than anyone I've ever talked to.

Almost nothing makes it through the dust shields, I clean inside like every 3 years.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

The FT-02 is still probably my favorite case of all time, I REALLY wish silverstone had kept refreshing that style.
Yeah that's the case I was referring to, I updated the front ports for modern mobo, type c. (Someday I'll get a smaller motherboard)

Kibner posted:

Yeah, the RV05 and FT02 use that layout. They are not as good for GPU cooling as some modern cases but still the best or among the best CPU cooling, iirc. I'm using an FT02 right now but am wanting to switch to a O11-Mini once I can actually get GPUs again.
I snagged a 3080 founders 111 days after launch, it's a kind of blower so.. all my air pretty much goes from the bottom to the top.

At least one other goon had the same setup and said it was fine, it does kinda suck a little heat off the CPU though the GPU, but that just ends up leaving them the same temps.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

I got sick of waiting around for a 5950x to buy, so I got a 5600x. I'll spend the diff on a v card, but holy moley...you can't even buy a new psu anymore these days. I'm not kidding. poo poo's really weird.
Oh no! :mad:

A PSU is the one thing I need and keep forgetting to buy.

Actually if I got 2 and another case I'd have 2 computers to mess with.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I think my dad has like a 1300 watt, way overkill.

I have a 3700x and a Nvidia FE 3800, the most load my UPS ever reported under 2 benchmark loads was 580 watt I believe. (With an overpriced OC mobo)

My Silverstone SFX 800 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply is almost 10 year old.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

VRM are supposed to be good on B450m Mortar, but unknown on the 520. The 520 supports less USB bandwidth, which might be a problem for certain VR setups (for Oculus, USB was often a bottleneck in the past).
With Airlink or Virtual Desktop the main draw is to use the quest 2 wireless.
My overpriced board still can't keep up with charging while playing, but a link cable mixed with the factory charger does the trick.

If you have a wifi6 router link cable is not required for quest 2.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

My Asus 570 Mobo with 3700x has USB make disconnect reconnect sounds occasionally.

Nothing ever stops working though, and after several Mobo updates and windows 11 it seems isolated to my new mechanical keyboard I spilled wine on and fixed by putting it in the dishwasher and then letting dry for 2 days.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I actually play quite a few cpu limited games, but most need specifically single core performance so I just live with it on my 3700x instead of going intel.

One or two apparently greatly benefit from running off the GPU ram, I think Kenshi is one.

I won't be getting a 3090 though, 3080 founders is plenty for me for now.

E: I wonder if going from 65w to 105w default tdp would cause my GPU to run hotter/worse since the founders kinda pulls from my cpu area slightly.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 20, 2022

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

There are rumors it'll help with VR.
I am also considering it. I don't see it at best buy yet, and amd site is maybe getting hammered?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

5800x3d is back in stock amd.com

I got one to replace my 3700x from Nov 2 2019

I don't expect magic gains but they'd be nice, especially in VR.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Kibner posted:

My Asus Pro WS X570-ACE does.
I still kinda regret I got impatient and bought my ram mobo and cpu from best buy instead of your mobo.
It's the most similar to my old mobo, power efficient, workstation rated.

It quit getting bios updates pretty fast though and my rog crosshair viii 570 gets one like every 4 months

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 2, 2022

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

It looks like there’s still bios getting released every month or so for it? There’s one for the 5800X3D for example.
I meant my last gen similar board, I couldn't remember the name of it but it was ws revolution
Only got 2 years of bios updates, I have no idea what's standard.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

AVX256 operations pegs my 5800x3d to 90C despite a 240mm AIO, I fear avx 512 may result in molten 3D layers :v:
Is that cpu great?
It gets delivered tomorrow, not too much info online.
I got some high end paste for it and play several games that are niche enough to warrant it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

The temps on my 5800x3d were pretty high, It turns out I didn't tighten my cooler all the way. Repasted and re-seated my cooler and it was still hitting like 81-86, so I tried undervolting my 3080 founders edition for the first time and that seems to have helped. Founders edition exhausts at my cpu (mostly under it) which wasn't a problem with my 3700x.

I followed this guide https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/tw8j6r/there_are_two_methods_people_follow_when/
Also for some reason my gpu is no longer 100% usage in "ugly" indie game Ragnorium

mdxi posted:

Every major hardware site and several minor ones put out reviews of it over the past two weeks. Googling the part number returns a page full of youtube and written review links.
I didn't mean the 15-20 almost identical benchmarks, I was looking for more detailed info about it's unique characteristics like bios settings it would prefer. Great performance in MMO's and flight sim VR are the two newest developments I've seen.

I tested VR chat and was getting closer to stable 90fps ultra in poor conditions than ever before, it must really smooth out the 1% lows.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Yeah I'm fine leaving it all default auto. I was just kinda curious. I may try the undervolt someday, but I got the temps down to below 75° C so it should be nailing it's boosts.

I did read an article that ram speed may also be less relevant for the 5800x3d, someone was only getting 1% improvements in several games from 3200 to 3800. The theory being that the v cache is smoothing that bottleneck as well.

I've never even come close to a ram overclock and at this point I'm not repeating the frustration of trying, beyond hitting xmp/docp for what the ram says it can hit.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Undervolting my video card finally brought my 5800x3d temps to more comfortable levels.

My 3080 founders is kinda close to my d-15 and blows towards it somewhat.

I mean it was fine before, but I'm pretty sure I can hit max boosts now.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

The very newest bios is the ones that finally fix that issue actually (the last few bios that came out were supposed to help), I never did experience any tpm issues on window 10 or 11 when I switched.

You will need an ~April or newer bios to fully use your 5800x3d.

I have one too.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Indiana_Krom posted:

In bandwidth maybe, but DDR4 will crush it in latency by a huge margin.
We will just have to late and see :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I am so far feeling glad I got the 5800x3d

It absolutely slays some of the poorly programmed, one man developer, old games I still enjoy.

These same games struggled with my Over clocked I5 2500k and then the ryzen 3700x

The urge to tweak my ram has also severely lessened.