Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Kraftwerk posted:

Based on all my discussions with people, it's the chipset fan.
The thing I've never heard and has probably never spun up because I have excellent airflow, meanwhile the 550 boards disable things if you plug other things in.

I will admit I paid way to much for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

The thing I've never heard and has probably never spun up because I have excellent airflow, meanwhile the 550 boards disable things if you plug other things in.

I will admit I paid way to much for it.

I mean, the limit on a B550-F for what you can plug up simultaneously without any conflicts is:

1x PCie 4.0 x16 slot
1x PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 slot
1x PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 slot
3x PCIe 3.0 x1 slots
4x SATA ports

If that's an actual constraint for you, then X570 is definitely better... but that's true for almost nobody, even Xtreme Gamerz.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My inclination is to go X570 due to those limitations, because I'll probably use it for 5-6 years and 4 years from now I don't want to stick a card in a slot and have it not work and then have to think about it

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Of loving course asrock did something :allears:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Klyith posted:

That was true when B550 launched but cheaper boards are out now.

The cheapest X570 I'd buy (gb gaming X) is $170. Meanwhile there are $130 B550s that I'd be totally fine with.

If you can find them in stock. :shrug:

Kraftwerk posted:

Based on all my discussions with people, it's the chipset fan.

I've never seen the chipset fan actually turn on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ratbert90 posted:

If you can find them in stock. :shrug:

I've never seen the chipset fan actually turn on.

lol if the X570 chipset fan is 90% cosmetic

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ratbert90 posted:

Considering that x570 motherboards are the same price or only a few bucks more expensive than b550, I can’t find any reason one would get a 550 over a 570.

I can't figure out why I'd rather want a PRO/TUF/Prime 570 over a ROG/Aorus/Gaming 550. All I get are fewer headers, less error code readers, etc, and the possibility of a tiny fan making noise.

I'm only running a 3700X at stock and I am an RGB-lover so all things being equal I would pick the Gamer Proud product over the traditional PC line. If Ryzen continues to be Basically Not Overclockable then I don't know why you'd take 570's higher tier VRMs over fewer headers and goodies.

And you would use this over other itx boards, because...?

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 19, 2020

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Speaking of, when can we expect PCIe 4.0 to not require dedicated motherboard fans, because I am not looking forward to some 10c fans and the noise that comes with them the next time I upgrade?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ufarn posted:

Speaking of, when can we expect PCIe 4.0 to not require dedicated motherboard fans, because I am not looking forward to some 10c fans and the noise that comes with them the next time I upgrade?

B550 has PCIe 4 to the two places that count without a fan, available now.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

After the past week I'm forced to admit to myself that I'm peeved that the Renoir APUs aren't available for the DIY market. What I can't decide is if this peevishness is justified or not.

Half of me feels that I get it; the global situation has boned everything to one degree or another, so it's safer from an expectations perspective to announce nothing and just ship what you got when you got it. The other half feels that this game of secret product releases and product forecasting by way of Magic 8 Ball ("When will Vermeer ship?" "Yes, 2020"; "What does the product line look like?" "Reply hazy; check twitter for leaks") is the most dumbass way to run a multibillion dollar company imaginable, and that they could at the least announce intentions in place of schedules.

I'm just grumpy

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mdxi posted:

After the past week I'm forced to admit to myself that I'm peeved that the Renoir APUs aren't available for the DIY market. What I can't decide is if this peevishness is justified or not.

Half of me feels that I get it; the global situation has boned everything to one degree or another, so it's safer from an expectations perspective to announce nothing and just ship what you got when you got it. The other half feels that this game of secret product releases and product forecasting by way of Magic 8 Ball ("When will Vermeer ship?" "Yes, 2020"; "What does the product line look like?" "Reply hazy; check twitter for leaks") is the most dumbass way to run a multibillion dollar company imaginable, and that they could at the least announce intentions in place of schedules.

I'm just grumpy

I mean it’s been 14 months since Zen2 launched and you still can’t buy the loving APUs. It’s perfectly reasonable to be peeved.

AMD knows it’s not reasonable which is part of why they are pulling APUs forwards in the future so that they aren’t trailing by a year+, Cezanne is going to release like late this year or early next year so desktop is hardly going to get any Renoir at all before it’s replaced.

From a corporate perspective it makes sense of course, they are selling everything they can produce in laptops, which are higher margin, and less trouble for them, and Renoir is a much more appealing overall product in mobile (where it completely kicks around Skylake based products due to boost efficiency) than in desktop (where its very small cache hurts performance). And of course covid is screwing up supply chains and increasing demand for everything.

But like, understanding doesn’t mean you have to have sympathy, AMD is very deliberately and visibly routing their production to other customers instead of you, that’s certainly not what any customer likes to see (and some of their other customers like XMG are starting to get visibly snippy about how AMD is treating them - routing their allocated supply to other vendors and delaying their orders, etc).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
capitalism needs to fall so we don't have corporations deciding to prioritize CPU sales to whichever is the most important segment for them to get market share in :science:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Capitalism doesn’t mean you have to slob the knob about how smart and sensible a corporation is for making you their lowest priority though.

People let “yeah sucks but makes sense” cross into free market fetishism all too often. AMD’s not doing you a favor here, they’re reducing service to DIYers so they can make a bigger profit in a different segment. Unless you’re looking at it from a stockholder perspective this is a bad thing.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 20, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Oh I was being facetious. I agree with you - not being able to buy desktop Renoir sucks even if I get why they're doing it.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Paul MaudDib posted:

But like, understanding doesn’t mean you have to have sympathy

Trust me, I don't have sympathy for (or loyalty to) any businesses larger than "very small and run by a handful of actual humans who are scrabbling to make an idea work". My first two jobs were in Very Large Corporations in finance and insurance, so I got that burned out of me quick.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

capitalism needs to fall so we don't have corporations deciding to prioritize CPU sales to whichever is the most important segment for them to get market share in :science:

Team Red is now including pamphlets on "Hardware Accelerationism" in all their boxes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mdxi posted:

I'm just grumpy

I've resorted to just waiting on Cezanne to put the final chip on the roadmap in my Plex/Steam server's B450 board.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-4000-strikes-again-renoir-clocks-ddr4-to-world-record-6666-mhz

6666, the frequency of the beast!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

When they say 3rd gen do they mean only 3rd gen?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Munkeymon posted:

When they say 3rd gen do they mean only 3rd gen?

judging by the CPU support list I would say yes

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

If I had 2 video cards not in SLI but set up to different monitors, is there a processor that would be able to run 2 respectably taxing games at the same time?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Statutory Ape posted:

If I had 2 video cards not in SLI but set up to different monitors, is there a processor that would be able to run 2 respectably taxing games at the same time?

Since most games have 1 primary thread and several smaller threads anything 8 core + should be able to run it fine as long as 2 cores can boost well. Your primary concern here is you are stressing 2 cores at once it's a bit like running folding at home in the background set to low priority it's still going to take away Mhz by adding jobs to cores that would be idle, causing heat.

I run multiple games on a single graphics card without too much a dip in performance, especially if the game(s) offer background throttling where I can set the FPS to 40 on the one tabbed out. (this will be less of a concern with a dedicated graphics card per application).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm curious, what multiple game scenarios are these? Some MMO type stuff?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

movax posted:

I'm curious, what multiple game scenarios are these? Some MMO type stuff?

I play a decent amount of games where I spend a lot of time dead and this seemed easier than getting good

But yeah, having a game of xcom2 or division 2 going on while I play other stuff that has down time would be fun :shrug:

mainly just want to do something silly with surplus parts

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Paul MaudDib posted:

judging by the CPU support list I would say yes

Ah poo poo, yeah I see that now. Dang 😕

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I thought my 3900X / Aorus pro wifi system totally died.. turns out the Corsair Pro RGB ram died. Decided to get some G.Skill Royal silver RAM which is supposed to be Samsung B-die 3200.

Ill say this the mobo trains the memory 4x faster than the Corsairs before it. Maybe because the corsairs were busted, but I like the G.skill.

Anyone use Samsung B-die? Good settings to get it faster?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redeyes posted:

I thought my 3900X / Aorus pro wifi system totally died.. turns out the Corsair Pro RGB ram died. Decided to get some G.Skill Royal silver RAM which is supposed to be Samsung B-die 3200.

Ill say this the mobo trains the memory 4x faster than the Corsairs before it. Maybe because the corsairs were busted, but I like the G.skill.

Anyone use Samsung B-die? Good settings to get it faster?

My B-die is stable with these settings on a Tomahawk B450 with a BIOS from like April ish. Currently 30 days up time. I've had it faster than this but I think 1833 is my 3700x's IF limit it's not stable for more than 16h any faster. I think I can shave a good bit off the sub timings I thought I was stable and shaved stuff off at I think it was DDR38000 then expanded them again before dropping to 3666 and never re-tightened the timings testing for stability (which I think I proved). This is also running with 4 sticks so if you are running 2 you should have even more room to tighten the sub timings.
DDR3666CL18, sold as DDR3600CL17.

If it's B-die and set for 3200 it's probably what CL12? That should do similar things I can run mine around 3200CL12, getting to CL10 is probably doable.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

My B-die is stable with these settings on a Tomahawk B450 with a BIOS from like April ish. Currently 30 days up time. I've had it faster than this but I think 1833 is my 3700x's IF limit it's not stable for more than 16h any faster. I think I can shave a good bit off the sub timings I thought I was stable and shaved stuff off at I think it was DDR38000 then expanded them again before dropping to 3666 and never re-tightened the timings testing for stability (which I think I proved). This is also running with 4 sticks so if you are running 2 you should have even more room to tighten the sub timings.
DDR3666CL18, sold as DDR3600CL17.

If it's B-die and set for 3200 it's probably what CL12? That should do similar things I can run mine around 3200CL12, getting to CL10 is probably doable.

It's CL16 actually. Not the super stupid expensive kind... I may have bad info but HWinfo does say its Samung brand ram at least. I will definitely try some of these settings and see where I get. Thanks man!!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

redeyes posted:

It's CL16 actually. Not the super stupid expensive kind... I may have bad info but HWinfo does say its Samung brand ram at least. I will definitely try some of these settings and see where I get. Thanks man!!

Download the Ryzen Ram calculator tool and see what it gives you for "safe" settings.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

redeyes posted:

Thaiphoon Burner will identify exactly what memory you have, which will make it easier to OC using the DRAM Calculator GM posted. The fast setting worked perfectly on my B-Die kit.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Memory-Tweak/Thaiphoon-Burner.shtml

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Also AMD has their own RAM page which associates SKUs with memory IC.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory/ready-for-amd-ryzen

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I can't install the latest AMD chipset drivers, the installation just stops with an "installation failed" message.

I tried to uninstall the current driver set via the Windows "Add/Remove progeams" tool, but that doesn't do anything, the AMD Chipset entry just stays in the list no matter how long I wait, no error messages or anything.

Any ideas? There is an AMD driver cleaner, but that explicitly does not remove the chipset drivers, just GPU drivers etc.

MSI Gaming Pro Carbon, 3900x, 1.0.0.4 Agesa (I recently read that the 1.0.0.6 can severely impact NVMe drives' performance, so I'm sticking with the 1.0.0.4 for now).

Also, is it a smart idea to automatically trigger the AMD High Performance Power Plan when certain apps/processes start and switch back to Balanced when the app/process ends? I'm using DisplayFusion triggers to check for certain process names that will execute powercfg.exe /s {power plan GUID} when started/terminated.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Try installing in safe mode, it's an old-school tip but it has a fairly high success rate even today

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Linus is about to promote the 1usmus custom Ryzen power plan, so I'm sure nothing bad will happen when Reddit users and gamers try it out for themselves.

https://twitter.com/1usmus/status/1297594174653566976

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Try installing in safe mode, it's an old-school tip but it has a fairly high success rate even today

In safe mode, I got the windows error message popup "Windows Installer is not available in safe mode", but the screen of the chipset installer said "Installation successful". Now I'm even more confused.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mcbexx posted:

Also, is it a smart idea to automatically trigger the AMD High Performance Power Plan when certain apps/processes start and switch back to Balanced when the app/process ends? I'm using DisplayFusion triggers to check for certain process names that will execute powercfg.exe /s {power plan GUID} when started/terminated.

On a desktop the difference in real results between balanced & high power (or 1smus or AMD power or whatever else) are 0.1% changes: detectable in benchmarks but not something that anyone will ever notice in a pepsi challenge.

The only thing you'll ever notice is if a power plan makes your CPU run at 100% all the time and all your fans are ramped up.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ufarn posted:

Linus is about to promote the 1usmus custom Ryzen power plan, so I'm sure nothing bad will happen when Reddit users and gamers try it out for themselves.
1usmus receives support from AMD because his work around RAM settings and timings had great benefits for the community and he was doing work AMD themselves weren't ready to do. He gets engineering/review samples of CPU/motherboard releases at a minimum.

The 1usmus power plan is okay and doesn't push the CPU any harder than AMD's plan. It doesn't seem needed anymore though. Closer to release it improved things quite a bit, especially with it setting max CPU to 99% instead of 100% which made a bizarrely large difference on earlier chipset/bios revisions.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The Linus Tech Tips video is out, and it's not just a custom power plan but a whole new auto-OC/auto-undervolt tool from 1usmus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W872lQcy65I

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Regrettable posted:

Thaiphoon Burner will identify exactly what memory you have, which will make it easier to OC using the DRAM Calculator GM posted. The fast setting worked perfectly on my B-Die kit.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Memory-Tweak/Thaiphoon-Burner.shtml

Freakin awesome my good goon. Turns out it is in fact Samsung B die.

code:
Manufacturer             : Samsung
Part Number              : K4A8G085WB-BCPB
Package                  : Standard Monolithic 78-ball FBGA
Die Density / Count      : 8 Gb B-die (Boltzmann / 20 nm) / 1 die
Composition              : 1024Mb x8 (64Mb x8 x 16 banks)
Input Clock Frequency    : 1067 MHz (0.938 ns)
Minimum Timing Delays    : 15-15-15-36-50
Read Latencies Supported : 16T, 15T, 14T, 13T, 12T, 11T, 10T
Supply Voltage           : 1.20 V
XMP Certified            : 1600 MHz / 16-18-18-38-56 / 1.35 V
XMP Extreme              : Not programmed
SPD Revision             : 1.0 / January 2014
XMP Revision             : 2.0 / December 2013
Have to do some reading to figure out the RAM calculator. thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

redeyes posted:

Freakin awesome my good goon. Turns out it is in fact Samsung B die.

code:
Manufacturer             : Samsung
Part Number              : K4A8G085WB-BCPB
Package                  : Standard Monolithic 78-ball FBGA
Die Density / Count      : 8 Gb B-die (Boltzmann / 20 nm) / 1 die
Composition              : 1024Mb x8 (64Mb x8 x 16 banks)
Input Clock Frequency    : 1067 MHz (0.938 ns)
Minimum Timing Delays    : 15-15-15-36-50
Read Latencies Supported : 16T, 15T, 14T, 13T, 12T, 11T, 10T
Supply Voltage           : 1.20 V
XMP Certified            : 1600 MHz / 16-18-18-38-56 / 1.35 V
XMP Extreme              : Not programmed
SPD Revision             : 1.0 / January 2014
XMP Revision             : 2.0 / December 2013
Have to do some reading to figure out the RAM calculator. thanks again!

https://youtu.be/1GTekAB1Zzc

This one is a bit long but he shows how to do everything, including importing from Taiphoon.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-.../topics/1640919

Lots of other videos and written instructions in that thread too.