Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
lol @ Benten's pathetic display of petty rage, and Gyakuran's much more impressive tantrum at the tournament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Tanuki are secretly super powerful as long as they can avoid remembering they're actually weak little raccoons.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
I’m so glad I wandered over to ADTRW -- I had no idea Eccentric Family got a second season! Loved the first one.

Sorry, I don’t have anything to add, I'm just happy to have more of this show to watch. Sounds like people are happy with it so far.

Thank you for the thread and for the translated short story!

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Nothing too much to say about this episode - it's mainly there to introduce Gyokuran and the adaptation didn't really diverge from the book much.

Well, I do have two pieces of trivia:
-Kinkaku wasn't lying, all the shogi pieces the idiot brothers transform into are actual, real life shogi pieces that are used in some insanely obscure variant rulesets (all the ones Yasaburou transforms into are, obviously, complete made up bullshit).
-Gyokuran's brother actually showed up in ep 9 of the first season. He even had a speaking line!

Yellow Ant posted:

I’m so glad I wandered over to ADTRW -- I had no idea Eccentric Family got a second season! Loved the first one.

Sorry, I don’t have anything to add, I'm just happy to have more of this show to watch. Sounds like people are happy with it so far.

You're welcome!

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Lmao, that scene between Yasaburou and Akadama was the first thing I thought of when I saw they were leaving Nidaime untranslated. Just say 'heir', guys :negative:

But next week, it's finally here.

Chapter Five: Arima Hell.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Not sure what I liked more, benten getting wrecked, or akadama being the king of 'just gently caress already'.

Half the animes out there could use an akadama.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Benten's absurdly petty retaliations against the Nidaime are extremely good. :allears:

Also wow, it is becoming very clear Nidaime really should've been translated.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Doc V posted:

Lmao, that scene between Yasaburou and Akadama was the first thing I thought of when I saw they were leaving Nidaime untranslated. Just say 'heir', guys :negative:

It's weird since CR has been decent in their other TL but this is just the one term they didn't translate for a secret reason. Since the beginning, I thought that was his name.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Furball romance :kimchi: that sensei is a giant softy

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Crunchy posted a pair of articles comparing the show and real-life Kyoto:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/04/15-1/feature-anime-vs-real-life-the-eccentric-family-2
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/05/06/feature-anime-vs-real-life-the-eccentric-family-2-part-2

It's pretty cool how much effort they've put into making the backgrounds look true to life!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the airing/simulcast schedule for this show? CR is really bad at telling me when I can expect a new episode. And by "bad" I mean it does't at all.

Yellow Ant posted:

I just got a crunchyroll subscription on a whim and haven't watched anime in probably twenty years. This was a good one to start on. Really enjoying this show, though I was confused as gently caress at first because bla bla licensing on season one means I had to go out of my way to find it to answer questions.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 12, 2017

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

Martytoof posted:

What's the airing/simulcast schedule for this show? CR is really bad at telling me when I can expect a new episode. And by "bad" I mean it does't at all.

I just got a crunchyroll subscription on a whim and haven't watched anime in probably twenty years. This was a good one to start on. Really enjoying this show, though I was confused as gently caress at first because bla bla licensing on season one means I had to go out of my way to find it to answer questions.

I believe Crunchyroll gets the new episode Sunday morning? I'm sure someone else has the details.

If you're looking for other shows on CR to watch, might I recommend Kyousougiga? It sort of reminds me of Eccentric Family in a way.

Yeah, it's really too bad CR doesn't still have the first season up. It did make me go buy the Bluray last weekend though, so good for NISA!

The new season is fun so far! It's nice to see more of the other family members :3:. The Nidaime not putting up with Benten's games was great. Im curious to see more of the Thursday fellows and the old man and his "hell screen". I'm wondering if Yashiburo pulls off some interesting electricity tricks this season.

It does seem weird that they don't translate nii-san or nidaime, but do translate Nise-emon, which I don't remember them doing last time.

Who/where are the tsuchinoko??

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Doc V posted:

Crunchy posted a pair of articles comparing the show and real-life Kyoto:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/04/15-1/feature-anime-vs-real-life-the-eccentric-family-2
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/05/06/feature-anime-vs-real-life-the-eccentric-family-2-part-2

It's pretty cool how much effort they've put into making the backgrounds look true to life!

the area around shijo-tohka saikan-yasaka shrine is prob my favorite place every time i go to kyoto, lots of cool eateries and architecture

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Welcome to my favorite chapter in the book.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Hahaha even the loving oni are westernizing.

I really like all the allusions to meiji era japan. It is sort of strange though that one of the first things the show is actually demonizing (Soun) is the social mobility of the merchant class into the upper classes. Maybe there's something about that transition I never learned about.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was amazing. I want more oni.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ah! That episode was really neat! What a nice oni :3:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That episode was really good! Hell was way different than anything else we've seen up 'til now, but it still fit the tone of the show wonderfully. The oni were great, the industrialization was cool and I don't think I've seen that angle before, and :lol: @ Benten coming down to hell to wrestle.

and yes, that was a good lady oni

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Does anyone know what the long rod on top of the camera featured in the OP is for? the doodads on both sides are pressed during the OP, so if one is the shutter, what is the other one?

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 15, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

Does anyone know what the long rod on top of the camera featured in the OP is for? the doodads on both sides are pressed during the OP, so if one is the shutter, what is the other one?

Probably the winding mechanism, making it a linear motion instead of the usual circular one. I'm not sure if it really has any advantages, and the mechanical design would likely be more complex.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Zetsubou-san posted:

Film advance, certainly. In fact, it appears to be a Voigtlander Vitessa: https://www.cameraquest.com/voitvitl.htm

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I almost think I picked the wrong show to get back into anime with. It looks so good that I can't help but feel I'll be let down by anything else I watch now.

Because this show is pretty.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I feel ya. This is the only show I'm watching this season. Slim pickings otherwise.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

TheJeffers posted:

Film advance, certainly. In fact, it appears to be a Voigtlander Vitessa: https://www.cameraquest.com/voitvitl.htm

cool find, thank you OP

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
A few more tidbits before tomorrow's episode:

I'm not quite sure, but Yodogawa getting exiled off to study a forest somewhere in the mountains might be the first time the show has directly referenced what he teaches at the university: he's a professor of agriculture. That's a bit of a callback to the author's personal life, since Morimi studied agriculture at Kyoto University before becoming an author. As a side note, it kind of bugs me that they decided to translate Yodogawa's secret society as the Thursday Club instead of the Thursday Fellows. Like, the whole joke is that he just changed the day...

The episode's titular Arima is a mountain town known for its hot springs near Kobe. One of their specialties are radium hot springs, which are exactly what they sound like and I have no idea how anyone thought that was a good idea.

The specific Hell that Yasa gets thrown into is never named but appears to be Saṃghāta, or "the crushing Hell". Yasa describes it as a giant mortar the size of Kyoto, so I assume that from time to time an equally giant mortar comes down and crushes the sinners into a paste that drains down the hole in the middle.

Finally, I mentioned before that this is my favorite chapter in the book. That's half because of the Hell segment, which caught me completely off guard. The other half should be in the next episode.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
And that's the end of Arima Hell. I love this chapter and that was a pretty excellent adaptation.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That was really fun but to be honest with you I've completely lost track of the plot right now. Seems to be a lot of moving parts that haven't come together yet.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Thats... quite a turn of events. Its still kind of weird how the friday fellows see all this magic but never learn about tanukis.

I wonder, yasaburou would have to provide the tanuki for next hotpot. Is he going to try presenting himself, and hope the other members just like him too much to go through with it?

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Martytoof posted:

That was really fun but to be honest with you I've completely lost track of the plot right now. Seems to be a lot of moving parts that haven't come together yet.

Something of a theme I've noticed in Morimi's books (though I haven't really read enough of them to say if it's something he always does or just something that he happened to do in those specific ones) is that he likes to spend most of the book writing pretty self-contained and episodic chapters that introduce more and more plot threads until the last chapter or two when he reveals how they really tie together. So basically what I'm saying is that there's still a bit more stuff to introduce before you start seeing where he's going with this. Also, it's the middle part of a trilogy, so some plotlines are actually setting things up for the third book.

Pavlov posted:

Thats... quite a turn of events. Its still kind of weird how the friday fellows see all this magic but never learn about tanukis.

If you want a human perspective of Morimiverse, I recommend checking out Tatami Galaxy if you haven't already and especially the Yoru wa Mijikashi Aruke yo Otome movie when it gets translated. I'm about 50 pages into the latter and there's already been a whole bunch of references to stuff that shows up in the Eccentric Family.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the insight, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season to see how this ties together :)

There are only two books so we're done after this for now, right?

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for the insight, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season to see how this ties together :)

There are only two books so we're done after this for now, right?

Yep. I just hope book 3 doesn't take literally 8 years to write like the second one.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Doc V posted:

If you want a human perspective of Morimiverse, I recommend checking out Tatami Galaxy if you haven't already and especially the Yoru wa Mijikashi Aruke yo Otome movie when it gets translated. I'm about 50 pages into the latter and there's already been a whole bunch of references to stuff that shows up in the Eccentric Family.

poo poo I didn't know this author did tatami galaxy. I loved tatami galaxy. These are in the same world?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Doc V posted:

And that's the end of Arima Hell. I love this chapter and that was a pretty excellent adaptation.

IDK the anime series were based off a novel. I liked Tatami Galaxy a lot even though there were parts where I had no idea what were going on b/t episodes.

btw: How would you rate the CR TL quality? Also, is he really related to Ebisugawa? Is Uncle just an honorific?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That was a really good ep.

Benten! Onsen!

Benten! Teasing!

She simultaneously tricks Soun out of his chance to join the Friday Fellows and Yasaburou into joining. It was beautiful. Everything after that felt pretty much inevitable. Yasaburou's emptiness was incredibly well-conveyed. It was a very powerful scene.

That was a truly great pair of eps, and I'm so excited to see where this all goes.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Pavlov posted:

poo poo I didn't know this author did tatami galaxy. I loved tatami galaxy. These are in the same world?

Yeah, Yoru wa Mijikashi ties them together. So far, the plot in that one has been "the titular Raven-Haired Maiden wanders around Kyoto at night together with Hanuki and Master Higuchi, looking for Juroujin so that she can get a taste of Fake Denki Bran".

Alder posted:

IDK the anime series were based off a novel. I liked Tatami Galaxy a lot even though there were parts where I had no idea what were going on b/t episodes.

btw: How would you rate the CR TL quality? Also, is he really related to Ebisugawa? Is Uncle just an honorific?

The CR translation is pretty decent, though there are a few weird decisions that I don't really agree with like leaving Nidaime and honorifics untranslated. And yes, Sou'un was Yasaburou's father's younger brother.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Doc V posted:

The CR translation is pretty decent, though there are a few weird decisions that I don't really agree with like leaving Nidaime and honorifics untranslated. And yes, Sou'un was Yasaburou's father's younger brother.

So Yasaurou would be marrying his 1st cousin? :getout:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Alder posted:

So Yasaurou would be marrying his 1st cousin? :getout:

Japan. But it's moot anyway because he will be stepped on by marry be stepped on by marry Benten.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Doc V posted:

Also, I translated a short story that takes place between seasons 1 & 2 so check that out if you want:

https://mega.nz/#!8XBC2RjT!Vie1uPKWcETmM0nOViAJkpqfYF8hPjmNxUQ_ihn4YwI

Thanks Doc V for the translation. It was a very nice chapter and the translation seemed professional to me.

I trust you in the even the third novel is released but no anime is announced.

And it's nice to have a cozy thread with fellow Eccentric Family fans to share. I also see some people here still have to see the glory of Benten-sama, but no one is perfect. As I usually say, Benten lovers and Benten haters only have one thing in common: both say gently caress her! :P

I've been reading the discussion of the first page which well, I think every fan of this series had discussed before at this point. Why don't they fight back, etc etc. It's all *MAGICAL REALISM*'d people. Not only the stories introduces magical animals from fables and folklore into the real modern world, it also mix the weird (non-existent?) ethics and nonchalant magic-as-logic of those fables and folklore into the present setting. It's a weird mix. If you stop by to try to use logic, then you start having problems everywhere like how the humans of Friday Fellows react to magical stuff (like the 3-deck train connected to a hot bath this episode? somehow that was ok but they were shocked with the oni) or hell, even in the translated chapter by Doc V, why the tanukis still live in a nest in the forest, instead of a human house with heaters and electricity and comfort, if they mostly live using the human shape and they have human-level intellect.

The last episode was good, the dinner with the FF was tense, and intriguing and funny and with a surprising twist at the end.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

That was a really good ep.

Benten! Onsen!

Benten! Teasing!

She simultaneously tricks Soun out of his chance to join the Friday Fellows and Yasaburou into joining. It was beautiful. Everything after that felt pretty much inevitable. Yasaburou's emptiness was incredibly well-conveyed. It was a very powerful scene.

That was a truly great pair of eps, and I'm so excited to see where this all goes.

Benten~ :stwoon:

That was an intense ending :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Really mellow and touching twenty minutes but this episode went by particularly quickly and we're precariously close to the end of the season, judging by how many episodes were in series 1.

I'm hoping Kureichiro isn't going to turn heel.

• Locked thread