Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I kept expecting Nidaime and Benten to start grappling and kissing each other during their fight -- especially right as he grabbed the side of her head and got real close. Instead, he set her head on fire. I actually think that was a better event anyway.

I can't help but feel that being kidnapped at a relatively young age and forced into this magical world of Tanuki and Tengu has somehow warped Benten in many ways, but she's still not a good person for knowingly eating sentient creatures. I do feel that there is a "natural order of things" vibe going on where Tanuki are the lowest and Tengu are the highest with Humans in between. Perhaps that's why Professor Akadama felt that it was okay to kidnap a human? The "natural order" also explains why it's okay for the all-human Friday Fellows to eat Tanuki whenever they wanted to.

This was definitely one of my favorite anime of the season, and I liked the ending a lot. Seems like a few things got wrapped up with some things left out for the future. There is an obvious reason for Yajirou to go back to (I can't remember where he went on his trip) and visit with those other Tanuki. For another, we didn't see Benten's face after her head burst into flames, but we know her hair was damaged. I wonder if her face is scarred now too? Interesting how she asked to be pitied. That's usually the one thing people don't want.

I wonder if the author is trying to build some super complex relationship between Benten, Yasaborou, and Akadama. If I recall correctly, Akadama introduced Yasaborou to a very young Benten (when they were both young), and they basically grew up together under Akadama's tutelage. I'm not sure how well that's working out because it seems there are more questions than answers. Did they ever explain why Benten, a human, learned how to fly while Yasaborou, arguably much more "magical" in nature than a mere human, didn't? I almost think Yasaborou could fly if he wanted to, but he won't because that's not what Tanuki do.

I felt it was refreshing to see Nidaime was able to win against Benten. Mainly just to see that she didn't always get her way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread