Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Uchouten Kazoku, officially translated as the Eccentric Family, is a series of books written by Tomihiko Morimi of Tatami Galaxy fame. The first book, originally published in 2007, was adapted into an anime series by P.A.Works in 2013 and now they're back for a second season based on The Heir's Homecoming, the second book in the series.

WHAT IS IT ABOUT

The Eccentric Family tells the story of the Shimogamos, a family of shape-shifting tanuki (raccoon dogs) living in modern-day Kyoto. Their father, Shimogamo Souichirou, was once the leader of all the tanuki of Kyoto, until one year he was caught by a shady secret society known as the Friday Fellows and became the main dish at their traditional New Year's party.
Now his four sons struggle to live up to his name while trying to avoid getting turned into hot pot themselves.

WHERE CAN I WATCH IT

The first season is available on Blu-Ray and DVD. It used to be on Crunchyroll, but unfortunately their license expired last fall.

Season 2 is simulcast on Crunchyroll in most parts of the world and AnimeDigitalNetwork in French-speaking areas.

NOTE: This thread has open spoilers for the first season. If you haven't seen it, maybe go watch it first!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
CAST

The Shimogamo family:

Shimogamo Yasaburou
CV: Takahiro Sakurai

The third son of the Shimogamo family and the protagonist and narrator of the story. Inherited his father's blood of fools and is the most carefree of the brothers. Neurotic about keeping his butt warm.

Shimogamo Yaichirou
CV: Jun'ichi Suwabe

The oldest and most serious son of the Shimogamo family. Obsessed with keeping his father's legacy alive and following in his footsteps as the leader of the tanuki of Kyoto. Cracks easily under pressure.

Shimogamo Yajirou
CV: Hiroyuki Yoshino

The second-oldest brother of the Shimogamo family. After his father's death, he decided to go live as a frog in the well of the Rokudou Chinnouji temple and has since lost the ability to turn back. Transforms into a train when drunk.

Shimogamo Yashirou
CV: Mai Nakahara

The youngest of the four brothers. Easily scared, which is inconvenient for a tanuki as they transform back to their true forms when frightened. Has an unusual talent of being able to emit an electric current from his fingertips. Recently started studying electromagnetism.

Shimogamo Tousen
CV: Kikuko Inoue

The mother of the Shimogamo brothers. Huge fan of the Takarazuka Revue and likes to hang out with local university students in the guise of a handsome young man known only as the Prince in Black. Suffers from a severe fear of thunder, so much so that the brothers have a rule of always returning home during thunderstorms to make sure she's safe. Never catches colds.

Shimogamo Souichirou
CV: Bon Ishihara

The late father and patriarch of the Shimogamo family. He was widely respected as the Nise-emon (translated by Crunchyroll as Trick Magister), the leader of all tanuki in Kyoto, until a conspiracy between his brother Sou'un, the Friday Fellows member Benten and the Kurama Tengu led to his untimely demise as the Friday Fellows' year-end hot pot.

The Ebisugawa family:

Ebisugawa Sou'un
CV: Nobuo Tobita

The Ebisugawa and Shimogamo families have been bitter rivals for generations. Their feud was supposed to come to an end when Souichirou's younger brother, Soujirou, was married off to Ebisugawas, but Soujirou had other plans. He changed his name to Sou'un and conspired to murder his brother and claim the seat of Nise-emon. After his plots came to light at the end of the first season, he hastily disappeared from Kyoto and is currently on a very long tour of Japan's hot springs.

Ebisugawa Kureichirou
CV: Yuuichi Nakamura

Sou'un's oldest son. After a disagreement with his father, he left Kyoto years ago to become a Buddhist monk, but has now returned in his father's absence.

Kinkaku & Ginkaku (Ebisugawa Kurejirou & Kuresaburou)
CV: Shuuya Nishiji & Kousuke Hatakeyama

The Idiot Brothers of the Ebisugawa family inherited all of their father's malice and none of his wits. They spend most of their time either convincing themselves of their excellence or plotting petty schemes against the Shimogamos.

Ebisugawa Kaisei
CV: Ayane Sakura

Sou'un's only daughter, formerly betrothed to Yasaburou. Has a foul mouth but unlike Kinkaku and Ginkaku bears no ill will towards the Shimogamo family. Has refused to let Yasaburou see her in years for unknown reasons.

Other tanuki:

Nanzenji Gyokuran
CV: Youko Hikasa

Yaichirou's childhood friend and the younger sister of Shoujirou, the current head of the Nanzenji family. Masterful shogi player.

Yasaka Heitarou
CV: Shinji Ogawa

Souichirou's old friend who used to hunt tsuchinoko with him. Took over as Nise-emon after Souichirou's death, but doesn't really like the job and really just wants to retire and move to Hawaii. Runs a proctology clinic that Yasaburou has a long history with.

Tengu:

Professor Akadama (Nyoigatake Yakushibou)
CV: Hideyuki Umezu

Once a mighty tengu who ruled over the mountain of Nyoigatake, he injured his back in a prank played on him by his students Yasaburou and Benten and has since lost most of his powers. His pride and libido are still in perfect condition, however.

Benten (Suzuki Satomi)
CV: Mamiko Noto

Benten is in many ways a contradiction. She is a human, yet Professor Akadama taught her in tengu magic. She is Yasaburou's first love, yet she killed his father. She demands the fear and respect of all Kyoto, yet never seems satisfied by it. Her past and motivations are shrouded in mystery, but she is unquestionably dangerous.

Kurama Tengu

The tengu of Mt. Kurama have a long-standing rivalry with Professor Akadama and have taken over Nyoigatake since his accident. They also bear a grudge towards the Shimogamos ever since Souichirou helped the Professor chase them away years ago. They are often seen accompanying Benten as her personal bodyguards.

The Nidaime (translation note: nidaime means heir)
CV: Junji Majima

Professor Akadama's son and the successor to Nyoigatake. A hundred years ago, a rivalry in love between him and his father turned into a full-blown feud, which led into the Professor throwing his son off the roof of Minami-za. The humiliated heir fled Kyoto and has spent the last century in England, studying how to be a proper English gentleman. Now, he has returned.

Humans:

The Friday Fellows

An old secret society of influential Kyotoans, feared among the tanuki for their tradition of eating tanuki hot pot every new year. The Friday Fellows always have seven members, named after the Seven Lucky Gods: Juroujin, Benten, Ebisu, Daikoku, Bishamon, Fukurokuju and Hotei. Currently, the seat of Hotei is open after Professor Yodogawa got kicked out.

Juroujin (Ri Haku)
CV: Yasuhiro Mamiya

The mysterious leader of the Friday Fellows. A shady loan shark with a hobby of collecting antiques and oddities, especially of the supernatural kind, which he keeps in his personal triple-decker train car. First appeared in Yoru wa Mijikashi Aruke yo Otome, which is getting a movie adaptation this year.

Professor Yodogawa
CV: Takehiko Higuchi

A professor of the Department of Agriculture at Kyoto University. Yodogawa used to be Hotei of the Friday Fellows, but got kicked out after he had a change of heart about eating tanuki at their last New Year's party and failed to produce the main dish of the night.

Tenmaya
CV: Bin Shimada

ABSOLUTE FUCKER

Doc V fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 11, 2017

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Also, I translated a short story that takes place between seasons 1 & 2 so check that out if you want:

https://mega.nz/#!8XBC2RjT!Vie1uPKWcETmM0nOViAJkpqfYF8hPjmNxUQ_ihn4YwI

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

What would a literal translation of Nise-emon be? Is that the same NISE as in Nisemonogatari?

Yeah, the nise the same as in Nisemonogatari and it pretty much just means 'fake' or 'imitation'.

Emon is a bit harder to translate directly: it's originally a term used for government officials under the Ritsuryou system which was used in Japan between the 7th and 10th centuries. The literal meaning is 'gate guard' because the very first emon were the people guarded the gates of the Imperial Palace in Kyoto, but these days it generally seems to just be used as a really old-fashioned term for an important person, so in that sense 'magister' is a pretty accurate translation.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Zetsubou-san posted:

also that fucker is a complete fucker.

Man, you haven't seen anything yet.

Also, hey, there's the callback to the short story I translated! The book mentions that Yasaburou's oni disguise is specifically the same as the one he used at Setsubun.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
^Yeah, basically this.

The main in-universe reason why the tanuki don't try to mess with the Friday Fellows (beyond the fact that messing with Benten and Juroujin is a really bad idea) is that tanuki are unable to stay transformed when they are afraid and 99% of them are absolutely terrified of the Friday Fellows, who have become more or less mythical boogeymen in the absence of any natural predators in Kyoto. That's also the explicitly stated canon reason why caged tanuki can't just transform and bust out: they're wild animals so being trapped makes them uneasy, which prevents them from using their powers.

The Friday Fellows' reason for continuing to eat tanuki is pretty much just tradition: they were founded centuries ago, supposedly by some famous historical figure (I forget who exactly) and ever since then it's been a rule that all members in turn must provide a tanuki for the year-end hot pot and anyone who fails to do so gets kicked out. The members aren't actually aware that tanuki are sentient (aside from Benten and Juroujin who just don't give a drat) and even if one suddenly started talking to them, well, if you hang out with Juroujin long enough you're going to get used to seeing some weird poo poo (it also helps that the Friday Fellows' meetings usually involve heavy drinking).

The "that's their place in the world" angle is perfectly valid too - the series borrows a lot from traditional Japanese folklore, where tanuki are often stereotyped as creatures that try to trick humans with their shapeshifting powers and then fall victim to their own stupidity.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Blank Construct posted:

Thanks for translating that short Doc V!

You're welcome! :)

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
https://twitter.com/Uchoten2_EN/status/806617235259211776

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Pavlov posted:

You know I did wonder why everyone was so scared of benten in particular. In the first season her only real talents were flying and gold digging an old man. I'm guessing if she can deflect bullets she's got some other poo poo up her sleeve though.

The biggest thing she's done on-screen was is the short story I translated where she dragged a giant blizzard across the mountains, but suffice to say that she's quite a bit stronger than she looks like.

Then again, so is the heir. Fun little fact that got cut out of the anime: that top hat he had in the first two episodes was actually forged out of a WW1-era cannon shell.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I didn't expect Benten back so soon into this season, but I'm glad, things are always fun and tense when she's on screen.

They actually shuffled things around a bit to have her come back sooner: in the book, the shogi tournament from next week's episode happens after the "duel" between Akadama and his son and before Tenmaya shows up. Combine that with how much stuff they packed into eps 1 & 2 and she's actually away for almost the entire first third of the book.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fangz posted:

Jeez OP, tag those spoilers.

What exactly did I spoil? Everything in the OP is either stuff that has been previously established or basic character traits that are common in-universe knowledge.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fangz posted:

Tournament in next week's episode?

Spoilers: the episode literally titled "The Tanuki Shogi Tournament" features a tanuki shogi tournament.

Fangz posted:

The thing about the guy's hat that might be later revealed in the show?

Possible, but I doubt it. It's one throwaway detail that gets mentioned once, never shows up again and has zero plot relevance. They would have to write a whole new scene just to establish it and if they cared so much about it they wouldn't have cut it in the first place.

Fangz posted:

Even really talking about shuffling around events from the novel has implications about events happening. Please, I think it would just be polite to spoiler tag all discussion of the novel.

Like, I get your concern, but everything I've posted in this thread untagged is stuff I can't see as having a major impact on anything. There are a ton of other changes that I'd love to talk about but have not mentioned specifically because they actually tie into other things or have significant implications, and if I were to talk about them I would tag them.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Nothing too much to say about this episode - it's mainly there to introduce Gyokuran and the adaptation didn't really diverge from the book much.

Well, I do have two pieces of trivia:
-Kinkaku wasn't lying, all the shogi pieces the idiot brothers transform into are actual, real life shogi pieces that are used in some insanely obscure variant rulesets (all the ones Yasaburou transforms into are, obviously, complete made up bullshit).
-Gyokuran's brother actually showed up in ep 9 of the first season. He even had a speaking line!

Yellow Ant posted:

I’m so glad I wandered over to ADTRW -- I had no idea Eccentric Family got a second season! Loved the first one.

Sorry, I don’t have anything to add, I'm just happy to have more of this show to watch. Sounds like people are happy with it so far.

Thank you for the thread and for the translated short story!

You're welcome!

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Lmao, that scene between Yasaburou and Akadama was the first thing I thought of when I saw they were leaving Nidaime untranslated. Just say 'heir', guys :negative:

But next week, it's finally here.

Chapter Five: Arima Hell.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Crunchy posted a pair of articles comparing the show and real-life Kyoto:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/04/15-1/feature-anime-vs-real-life-the-eccentric-family-2
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/05/06/feature-anime-vs-real-life-the-eccentric-family-2-part-2

It's pretty cool how much effort they've put into making the backgrounds look true to life!

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Welcome to my favorite chapter in the book.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
A few more tidbits before tomorrow's episode:

I'm not quite sure, but Yodogawa getting exiled off to study a forest somewhere in the mountains might be the first time the show has directly referenced what he teaches at the university: he's a professor of agriculture. That's a bit of a callback to the author's personal life, since Morimi studied agriculture at Kyoto University before becoming an author. As a side note, it kind of bugs me that they decided to translate Yodogawa's secret society as the Thursday Club instead of the Thursday Fellows. Like, the whole joke is that he just changed the day...

The episode's titular Arima is a mountain town known for its hot springs near Kobe. One of their specialties are radium hot springs, which are exactly what they sound like and I have no idea how anyone thought that was a good idea.

The specific Hell that Yasa gets thrown into is never named but appears to be Saṃghāta, or "the crushing Hell". Yasa describes it as a giant mortar the size of Kyoto, so I assume that from time to time an equally giant mortar comes down and crushes the sinners into a paste that drains down the hole in the middle.

Finally, I mentioned before that this is my favorite chapter in the book. That's half because of the Hell segment, which caught me completely off guard. The other half should be in the next episode.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
And that's the end of Arima Hell. I love this chapter and that was a pretty excellent adaptation.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Martytoof posted:

That was really fun but to be honest with you I've completely lost track of the plot right now. Seems to be a lot of moving parts that haven't come together yet.

Something of a theme I've noticed in Morimi's books (though I haven't really read enough of them to say if it's something he always does or just something that he happened to do in those specific ones) is that he likes to spend most of the book writing pretty self-contained and episodic chapters that introduce more and more plot threads until the last chapter or two when he reveals how they really tie together. So basically what I'm saying is that there's still a bit more stuff to introduce before you start seeing where he's going with this. Also, it's the middle part of a trilogy, so some plotlines are actually setting things up for the third book.

Pavlov posted:

Thats... quite a turn of events. Its still kind of weird how the friday fellows see all this magic but never learn about tanukis.

If you want a human perspective of Morimiverse, I recommend checking out Tatami Galaxy if you haven't already and especially the Yoru wa Mijikashi Aruke yo Otome movie when it gets translated. I'm about 50 pages into the latter and there's already been a whole bunch of references to stuff that shows up in the Eccentric Family.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for the insight, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season to see how this ties together :)

There are only two books so we're done after this for now, right?

Yep. I just hope book 3 doesn't take literally 8 years to write like the second one.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Pavlov posted:

poo poo I didn't know this author did tatami galaxy. I loved tatami galaxy. These are in the same world?

Yeah, Yoru wa Mijikashi ties them together. So far, the plot in that one has been "the titular Raven-Haired Maiden wanders around Kyoto at night together with Hanuki and Master Higuchi, looking for Juroujin so that she can get a taste of Fake Denki Bran".

Alder posted:

IDK the anime series were based off a novel. I liked Tatami Galaxy a lot even though there were parts where I had no idea what were going on b/t episodes.

btw: How would you rate the CR TL quality? Also, is he really related to Ebisugawa? Is Uncle just an honorific?

The CR translation is pretty decent, though there are a few weird decisions that I don't really agree with like leaving Nidaime and honorifics untranslated. And yes, Sou'un was Yasaburou's father's younger brother.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Sindai posted:

After this episode I'm pretty sure Benten and Nidaime are mutually attracted and in denial about it

edit: MTD mutually tsundered destruction

It's... complicated. The book's version of the London flashback actually had a pretty major reveal that explains a lot about the heir's relationship with Benten, but I guess they're waiting until they can show all the plot tied to his backstory at once.

Martytoof posted:

That third novel had better be half finished by now :mad:

I feel you. I really, really feel you :v:

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
https://twitter.com/Uchoten2_EN/status/873829350608478208

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Pavlov posted:

They really need to stop having election day on hotpot day.

Also I'm hoping yasaburo's transformation gimmik with kaisei is more than "just because". It's just looking like plot convenience right now.

Usually that happens when they get scared right? What's he got, fear of commitment?

Every tanuki has a weakness that makes them unable to maintain their transformation, like Tousen with thunder or Souichirou with Benten. They don't necessarily have to be afraid of it (for example, Souichirou was never actually afraid of Benten, even when he was about to get thrown into a hot pot), it's just one single thing in the universe that makes them unable to transform for reasons that they don't understand themselves. There may be a more complex in-universe explanation for it, but if there is, it's not going to be revealed until the third book.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
It hasn't really been established if it's absolutely universal, but it's at least widespread enough that it's generally acknowledged as a thing. Tousen and Gyokuran were talking about it two episodes ago.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Time for the most shocking twist of the season: when he's not around his brother, Ginkaku is actually a nice boy!

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Pavlov posted:

I was wondering why they don't just turn into birds and fly down when I remembered something. Tanuki never seem to transform into anything that can fly. Never birds or anything like that. The closest is when they use the wine pot to make tram-yajiro fly. Now, it could just be that they can't turn into birds, like they're supposed to be earth spirits or something. I have a suspicion though, that they could, they just won't. They mention that the skies of kyoto belong to the tengu, and a tanuki turning into a bird seems like it would disrupt the social order of that. Is there anything like that mentioned in the book?

Nope, I don't recall transforming into birds ever getting brought up in the books. Respect for the tengu is a pretty plausible explanation - when Yasaburou talks about the natural order among the inhabitants of Kyoto in the preface to the first book, he has a line to the effect of "the tanuki crawl the earth while the tengu soar the skies".

Another possibility is that they can't copy the physical properties of birds close enough to actually get off the ground: according to the books, tanuki don't physically transform to whatever they are mimicking, they're just creating a disguise out of their fur. For instance, when the lady oni compliments Yasaburou's muscles in Arima Hell, he narrates that the "muscles" are just fur and he doesn't really have the full strength of an oni. So basically, one theory is that a tanuki could imitate the shape of a bird or some other flying creature perfectly, but they would be too heavy or not strong enough to actually take off. But again, it hasn't come up in the books, so :shrug:.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm not surprised.

Well, I'm glad you had faith in Ginkaku where I didn't.

About the other twist: yeah, when I read the book I figured out the fake's identity as soon as the real one showed up just because there really was no other plausible option, though I never once suspected that he was a fake before that (even though the book did give a couple of hints about what was really going on).

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kinda wish they explained how Soun faked his death but whatever. The show just kinda trusts you accept some things about it and it's world and i'm cool with that. Soun and Tenmaya making ramen together in Hell is a pretty good end for them though.

It's much better explained in the book. Looks like I'm going to have to write a big explanation post for a bunch of stuff when I get back from work because wow, the show kind of glossed over a ton of stuff.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Okay, here we go. Stuff from the last episode, off the top of my head:

Sou'un's plan: in the book, Yasaburou says that he never quite figured out how much of what happened at Arima was planned in advance, but he suspects that Sou'un and Tenmaya came up with the idea of faking Sou'un's death when Yasa showed up at the banquet and that the shooting was all an act. Either way, after Kaisei had left the "corpse" to go get the rest of the Ebisugawas, Tenmaya snuck up and replaced Sou'un with a taxidermy he had acquired through some shady connection or another, and that's what was eventually buried at the funeral.

The crux of Sou'un's plan was smell. Remember how in Arima Hell they mention that tanuki recognize each other by smell and that's why a tanuki can't just get away with disguising as another? Normally, switching the body would have been immediately obvious since the taxidermy didn't smell like Sou'un, but he had been soaking in the Arima hot springs long enough to get rid of his scent, so while the body wasn't recognizably his, it wasn't recognizably not his either. That was enough to fool everyone since there were witnesses to his death and there was no real reason to doubt them.

Then Sou'un shows up to crash his own funeral in the guise of his son (in the book, Kureichirou's existence is never even hinted at until the fake shows up out of nowhere after Arima). When he does, pretty much the first thing that the book mentions about him is that he smells awful. Everyone (including me, reading the book) assumed that it was because he was a weird fanatic wandering monk who just never bathes, but knowing the truth about his identity it's apparent that it was Sou'un intentionally making himself stink in order to a) give himself a recognizable scent because not having one would've gotten him ostracized and b) prevent anyone from smelling him close enough to blow his disguise.

The rest is pretty straightforward: the deal Sou'un made with Tenmaya was that he would use his newly-found connections with the Shimogamos to deliver Yasaburou to the Friday Fellows and in exchange he would get the air rifle, which he could then use to frame the Shimogamos for the events at Arima in order to become the Nise-emon.

The heir's past and the 20th Century Hotel:
this is something that the book slowly dripfeeds starting from chapter 1 instead of just dumping the whole thing at once like the show. 100 years ago, the heir was a tengu-in-training under his father in Kyoto, and that's when he came across the 20th Century Hotel: a beautiful western-style building right in the middle of Kyoto. It had originally been constructed by a man who had risen from poverty by selling weapons during the war, but after his death it had been inherited by his beautiful daughter. The heir fell in love with her at first sight. His father, however, was not happy that he was wasting his time on frivolities instead of focusing on his training and seduced the heiress to teach him a lesson. When the son found out, he was furious and started a great tengu war that finally ended when the elder Nyoigatake cast his son down from the roof of Minami-za.

After the battle, the heir limped back to the hotel, but found that the heiress had already left. Humiliated, he fled Japan for England, where he studied arts and science and wowed to never become a tengu like his father. Then, on one gloomy day 100 years later, he was out on a stroll when he happened upon a young woman walking in the rain. When he approached her, he realized to his shock that she was the very same heiress he had fallen in love with 100 years ago.

So yeah, the big reveal in the heir's London flashback and what seems to be pretty much the central mystery for book 3 is that somehow Benten is an exact doppelganger of a woman who lived 100 years ago. Compounding the mystery is Benten's epilogue scene (which is the very final scene in the book), where Yasaburou goes to comfort the defeated Benten - in the sunken ruins of the 20th Century Hotel.

Misc. stuff:

-As mentioned, the last scene in the book is Benten's epilogue. The show's last scene with Yasa, Kaisei and grandma was originally a continuation of the scene at the end of ep 8 where Kaisei reveals her secret (which also means that in the book, Yasa never angsts about not being able to transform around Kaisei - his immediate reaction is pretty much "well, that sucks, but I'll live with it", which I found pretty refreshing).

-The reason that Benten was able to go toe-to-toe with the heir despite getting annihilated earlier is that she eats the Dragonstone she got from Sou'un at Arima. There's a bit all the way back in chapter 1 of the book that explains that the water created by Dragonstones boosts the magical power of tengu, so Benten basically has a magic dynamo inside of her now.

-Speaking of the fight between Benten and the heir, in the book Benten goes all out with her ice magic, which constrasts with the heir's fire and lets her do cool stuff like smash a rooftop water tank and turn the water spouts into ice spears.

-Juroujin and the Friday Fellows don't really get much more of an epilogue than in the show, but at least the book mentions that they took advantage of the commotion of the tengu battle to make themselves scarce.

-They cut out all of the heir's actual character development from his epilogue lol

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
I'll post the stuff they cut from the heir's epilogue when I get back from work.

But yeah, they definitely needed more episodes. Having one ep less than season 1 when book 2 is about 50 pages (1-2 episodes worth of source material) longer than book 1 seems like a pretty fundamental mistake.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Could you explain what this was? Sounds vaguely important if a 3rd season ever ends up happening.

Here's a quick translation of the bits they cut out from the heir's ending:

quote:

After my oldest brother's wedding, I took Professor Akadama back to his apartment.
I crammed my dear grumbling teacher under his kotatsu and was walking down the stairs when I saw the heir standing on the snowy alley beyond the fence, staring at me from under a black umbrella.
It was the first time I had seen him since all the fuss at the end of last year.
That same fuss had reduced his belongings to ash, but he had moved back to Hotel Ookura in Kawaramachi Oike and spent his days as if nothing had happened whatsoever. There seemed to be no end to the flow of the Napoleon-era gold coins from his pockets.
Nevertheless, it was obvious that the root cause behind all that fuss had been me. I prepared myself for a scolding, but instead the heir raised his hand in greeting.
"Hello, Yasaburou. I see you're still busy pandering to his whims"
"Well, he is my teacher, after all"
"You tanuki truly are diligent" he muttered. Then, without as much as a glance in the direction of the apartment, he bluntly asked me: "How is he?"
"Sulking about the cold and the boredom"
"I see. That's good to hear"
The heir swiftly turned around and started walking. I hurried after him and asked: "Aren't you going to visit the Master?"
"It's not as if I'm to meet him" was the heir's curt reply.
We walked through Demachi shopping street together.
"Still, I have to say that last month's commotion was an awful bother"
"...My deepest apologies"
"I wonder how much of it was your doing and how much was just an accident"
"I have to admit I'm not entirely sure myself, what with there being secret plots involved and all... But honestly, in this country and in this city in particular, that sort of commotion is nothing out of the ordinary"
The heir stared at me, narrowing his eyes.
He seemed well aware that I was feigning innocence, but decided not to pursue the matter further. And that awareness was the exact reason why I had no intention of spilling the fuzzy beans.

After that, there's the exchange that actually made it to the show, followed by the two walking in silence across snowy Kyoto, and then:

quote:

Suddenly the heir whispered, quietly like a blushing maiden: "Can we ever become friends?"
"I'm flattered, but unfortunately that's impossible"
"Why?"
"Because I am a tanuki and picking on tanuki is the way of the tengu"
The heir grinned. In all the time since he returned last spring, I had never once seen him smile so sincerely.
"Unique. You truly are unique"
"Thank you very much"
"Don't hesitate to stop by and visit me at the hotel sometime"
And with that, the False English Gentleman walked off into the swirling snow.

So it's not really plot critical, but it's a nice character moment that reveals that he actually cares about his father now (even if he still refuses to admit it) and shows a side of him that we've never seen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Is the book translated? It'll take me like ten years to get to a level where I can read it in Japanese. I'm on kindergarten level picture books right now, so unless they've got one for this series... :(

Nope, I'm pretty sure none of Morimi's books have been translated into English. I think some are available in Chinese and Korean, but it doesn't look like western publishers have taken an interest in him.

But speaking of translations, I've got one more thing to post. The teaser for book 3 from the end of the second book:

quote:

The rivalry between Benten and the heir grows ever deeper as the two contend for the right to succeed the great Nyoigatake Yakushibou, Professor Akadama. At last, the fearless Benten forms a plan to take back Nyoigatake from the Kurama tengu... The fate of Sou'un and Tenmaya who were swallowed into the picure of Hell, the final transformation of the 120-year-old Juroujin and the secret origin of Fake Denki Bran that has remained hidden for a hundred years will all be revealed. Can the four furry brothers of the Shimogamo family live up to their father and drive away the dark clouds looming over the ancient capital? The heavens and earth are trembling, the release date is pending! Please look forward to the third chapter in the fuzziest depiction of Kyoto ever written: "The Eccentric Family 3 - The Great Tengu War"!

• Locked thread