Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I really enjoyed how pathetic both Nidaime and Akadama's fight and Nidaime and Benten's fight ended up being. It just devolves to hair-pulling and pushing and biting. It's so petty and small, I love it. They're just huge brats deep down.

Kinda wish they explained how Soun faked his death but whatever. The show just kinda trusts you accept some things about it and it's world and i'm cool with that. Soun and Tenmaya making ramen together in Hell is a pretty good end for them though.

I really liked the way in which the conflict between Benten and the Nidaime played out over the course of the season and, by the end, actually found myself feeling bad for both. And I agree that the execution of the final fight really was fantastic. I like Benten and the Nidaime so I'm hoping there will be a chance to see the direction their conflicts with each other and their personal baggage will take in a third season. I'd also like to see Akadama get knocked down a peg (perhaps another peg would be more accurate since he is already a flightless tengu) since he's more than a bit of a jerk.

As for Soun's faked death, I thought the episode indicated that he had some sort of plan with Tenmaya, though perhaps I'm reading too much into some lines+Tenmaya's behavior from earlier in the season.

I really was surprised by how much I enjoyed this show. I thought that the setting was compelling, enjoyed the animation and music, and found the cast of characters to be a well rounded one. The characters were well written and were all quite fun to follow. (Fun might not be the right word for Soun and the Ebisugawa brothers, but they certainly were good antagonists for Yasaburo and his family!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Despite liking it quite a bit, I do agree that season 2 definitely could have been more developed. I think this is especially true with regards to Benten and the Nidaime and the reasoning behind/execution of Soun's plans. That's why I'm sort of hoping it gets a third season, since I'm hopeful it could help clear things up.

Doc V posted:

It's much better explained in the book. Looks like I'm going to have to write a big explanation post for a bunch of stuff when I get back from work because wow, the show kind of glossed over a ton of stuff.

Thank you for taking the time to do this for the thread. While I was quite happy with the show, the info you've provided on the books and, of course, your translation of the short story have been greatly appreciated!

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I'm surprised they cut so much stuff. I thought the ending felt rushed, but that's a whole lot of information that really should've been in the show - even if it had to be creatively condensed. I wonder if an additional episode could've helped or if they would've needed to rearranged/rewrite things more extensively to fit everything in.

Still enjoyed it but losing that much context is certainly disappointing and definitely makes the ending we got weaker.

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 27, 2017

• Locked thread