Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Doc V posted:

Also, I translated a short story that takes place between seasons 1 & 2 so check that out if you want:

https://mega.nz/#!8XBC2RjT!Vie1uPKWcETmM0nOViAJkpqfYF8hPjmNxUQ_ihn4YwI

Thanks Doc V for the translation. It was a very nice chapter and the translation seemed professional to me.

I trust you in the even the third novel is released but no anime is announced.

And it's nice to have a cozy thread with fellow Eccentric Family fans to share. I also see some people here still have to see the glory of Benten-sama, but no one is perfect. As I usually say, Benten lovers and Benten haters only have one thing in common: both say gently caress her! :P

I've been reading the discussion of the first page which well, I think every fan of this series had discussed before at this point. Why don't they fight back, etc etc. It's all *MAGICAL REALISM*'d people. Not only the stories introduces magical animals from fables and folklore into the real modern world, it also mix the weird (non-existent?) ethics and nonchalant magic-as-logic of those fables and folklore into the present setting. It's a weird mix. If you stop by to try to use logic, then you start having problems everywhere like how the humans of Friday Fellows react to magical stuff (like the 3-deck train connected to a hot bath this episode? somehow that was ok but they were shocked with the oni) or hell, even in the translated chapter by Doc V, why the tanukis still live in a nest in the forest, instead of a human house with heaters and electricity and comfort, if they mostly live using the human shape and they have human-level intellect.

The last episode was good, the dinner with the FF was tense, and intriguing and funny and with a surprising twist at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This was a low key episode in comparison with the last one, but an important one. It dealt with a key aspect of the series, their family relationships. It was interesting to see for once Yasaburo not in control of the situation or himself, but being unsettled by the sudden changes in his family.
And the shipping wars are more active than ever, with Kaisei's secret being revealed and the talk of the red string of fate.

I wonder what was the deal with Benten and Nidaime. It seems she was trying to probe into Nidaime's reasons for coming?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think Yasaburo tried to overcompensate after his mountain's mini exile, and do something very foolish, very like him. This time it got out of his hands.

I think Benten's fury came more from the fact they acted behind her back, as if she couldn't be reasonable and was only an capricious tanuki-eater (which of course it's kind of true, just don't say it on her face). In the end it only reinforces that behavior of hers ('they believe I'm an evil witch, you will have an evil witch' type of scenario).
In general terms I think the author could be setting up some kind of redemption arc for her in the third novel. From a pure fiction-making perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense to use up so much of the first two novels in the character if in the end you just say "it's just a capricious, bitchy woman". You are going to make some kind of character arc with her, surely. Hell, we already got the start of it in the first season, where we saw she had some issues hidden within her.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's true that if you try to 'explain' or 'solve' Benten, you break the magic, you break the charm of the mystery.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yep, it felt contrived to me.

Yasaburo is almost never in his tanuki form, but it happens that we just discovered his very rare 'tanuki weakness' in the past episode and now Kaisei, who never shows on person to not bother him, appears physically, triggering the transformation. And of course with Kyoto being so big, Tenmaya discover and captures precisely them. Not only he is in the right place, he also is in the right time, timing wise.
And all for nothing, because you know, I doubt a lot any of the two are going to be eaten. It feels a rehash because again the climax of the season is going to be to escape of the tanuki's pot of Friday's club annual special dinner.

• Locked thread