Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Man how'd I never hear about this show. This poo poo's pretty good.

But there's something I don't get about the Freaky Friday Club. I don't get how this little social club of mostly incompetent looking fuckers can get away with eating someone once a year and nobody does anything about it. Like, the little raccoons treat it like some inevitable law of nature that one of them gets ate every year and leave it at that. Maybe it wouldn't be very tanuki-ish to just straight up murder a bloke, but you'd think they'd prank the gently caress out of them year round or something.

Hell, the Friday Fuckers don't even seem that invested in the idea, they're just like doing it out of inertia. One of them wanted to eat something else instead. It doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to convince them otherwise if someone just put up the effort.

Am I just missing something here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Emzedoh posted:

Most of the Friday Fellows are ordinary dudes who don't realise they're eating sentient beings, but Benten and Jurojin (that's the one with the beard) are both scary as hell. Pretty sure Jurojin is the head temple priest mentioned in the latest episode and up to his neck in occult bullshit.

That's the other thing that wasn't too clear, whether or not humans acknowledge the tanuki and tengu. Most of the city almost seems like they don't notice, but the tanuki and tengu don't seem to really be hiding either. They fly around and turn into tigers in the middle of daylight. I eventually chose to believe that the humans were exercising some kind of extended japanese politeness, and all just choose to ignore them to keep from making waves.

But the Fridays don't seem to have an excuse. Did none of them hear a tanuki talk any of the years they were trapping and eating them? Hell one of the mundane ones asked the MC if he was a tanuki like it was no big deal. They didn't seem too phased by seeing a room of people turn into rodents either.

It kind of feels like there could be an explanation floating around somewhere, the show just never spent to time to explain it.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Those are all interesting reads, but the show would only have needed a few throw-away lines to make that clear. Something like the older brother talking about doing something rash after the dad gets ate, and someone quickly talking him down. Or the younger brother asking why nobody's ever tried stopping things, before the Inescapable Social Order gets explained to him. Or really anyone just lamenting how no tanuki could ever stand up to a human etc. The fact that there's no introspection about this is pretty noticable, given that it's such an obvious bit of world-building to do.

The show does like to wait to explain events well after you've seen them happen sometimes. Like, it only explains why tanuki's can't transform in cages well after the whole family gets locked up and we see them sitting around in cages for a while. I spent half the episode wondering if the cages were enchanted, or if tanukies were like fairies and metal fucks with them.

So I guess collective tanuki self-esteem issues could be the reason, but I'm half expecting them to just info-drop that Juroujin is an ancient and powerful wizard that sustains his magic by eating tanuki meat, or something else like that.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

It's not really a matter of revenge, as much as it is stopping the practice. At this point half the family has been eaten or almost even at that party. You'd think someone would at least ponder how to keep the same thing from happening next year.

I mean the tanuki don't seem that dumb. If there's this one bear that just keeps eating people year after year, eventually someone's going to ask if they should do something about the bear.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Actually yeah, you'd think they'd get in the habit of going on vacation during the time of year people are trying to eat them. Instead they hold their elections on the very day.

Maybe tanuki's are just dumb.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Benten has the awful combination of being cunning, ambitious, and entirely self serving. That's the kind person you either get rid of or get away from as quick as possible, before they can gently caress you over. Because they will always gently caress you over eventually.

Also yes, the show is clear about why the tanukis don't just turn into tigers and eat the Fridays (except Yaichiro who almost did exactly that, but whatever). What the show doesn't explain is why nobody considers any other course of action besides doing exactly nothing. For instance: find someone to negotiate with them, pool resources and bribe them, swear fealty to some other power, show the other members they're sentient and guilt trip them, or just tell the MC to figure something out (that seems to be their go-to solution).

Fangz posted:

I don't think the Tanuki allow themselves to be eaten because of a simple reason like 'they are too afraid to fight back', but because of a reason like 'it's right and natural for Tanuki to be eaten by humans, it's a more honorable way to go than old age or being run over by a car'.

Well the dad said something like that, but that was because he was super chill and zen. None of the other tanukis seemed very hot on the idea.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Fangz posted:

It's blatantly wrong to say Benten is entirely self serving given she saves various people loads of times.

That doesn't mean she can't be helpful, but it only seems to be when she find someone amusing, or she can get something out of them. She never seems actually concerned with anyone else's well-being. Even the MC, who she helps a lot, always seems to be in danger of losing her fancy and ending up in a pot. She doesn't seem to have any real loved ones, or loyalties, and her interaction with the Fridays seem less like friendship and more like the convenient political maneuvering.

Unless we learn something new, she seems totally out for herself.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The show has a sorta detached view from morality I guess. It's not something the show's interested in addressing. I kinda enjoy it. It's interesting.

You know, I was noticing that too. It's definitely an interesting direction to take, but by the end the approach almost seemed... self defeating? Like it was constantly setting up for some kind of commentary about nonjudgemental fatalism, or self enforcing hierarchies and the ethics of power, and just never went anywhere with it. Maybe I was just expecting too much from it.

I mean I guess it could still go that way, but it would seem like a weird shift at this point.

Fangz posted:

Similarly the Friday Fellows thing is more like a religion with human sacrifice - you might individually not want to be the guy on the chopping block but everyone recognises that it just happens and it's not the domain of normal people to question why it happens.

Now that's almost what I was expecting the show to get into, because for things like human sacrifice, people don't tend to say "we do it because tradition", they tend to construct an extensive series of justifications to support it, and the worse the practice the more extensive the justifications. It's how you get divine right of kings, the white man's burden, and manifest destiny.

Like, the Aztecs believed that the gods all sacrificed themselves to sustain mankind, so worshipers would volunteer for sacrifice to emulate those gods and give back some of that life-force. Being sacrificed was repaying a great and eternal debt to the cosmos, and was praised as a high and noble act.

That's the sort of poo poo you need to keep people doing human sacrifice.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 19, 2017

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Hahaha gently caress you benten, get dumped.

You know I did wonder why everyone was so scared of benten in particular. In the first season her only real talents were flying and gold digging an old man. I'm guessing if she can deflect bullets she's got some other poo poo up her sleeve though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Man I just realized, if the magic society is a stand in for feudal japan, then nidaime gets to play the roll of the westernization that upturned it. He literally upturned it this episode, right on her rear end.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He doesn't seem like he really wants to upturn the system or anything, he just wants to kill his dad.

If anything he kinda comes off to me as a parallel to Benten. Tengu who acts human (i'm guessing that's where his "i'm not a Tengu" thing is going) compared to human who acts Tengu.

Edit: If anything Benten has more upturned magic society since she's just a human and she's mastered Tengu magic and all.

Benten is still working within the established power structure. She's like an adopted child in a noble house, which happened sometimes.

Nidaime doesn't need to want to upturn the system, just being powerful and not respecting it is enough. The west didn't destroy the last shogunate because it wanted to, it just refused to go away one day and the system collapsed on its own. Nidaime kind of strikes me like a meiji style reformist though, so he might turn out a bit more proactive than we've seen him.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Snape kills Souichirou.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Not sure what I liked more, benten getting wrecked, or akadama being the king of 'just gently caress already'.

Half the animes out there could use an akadama.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Hahaha even the loving oni are westernizing.

I really like all the allusions to meiji era japan. It is sort of strange though that one of the first things the show is actually demonizing (Soun) is the social mobility of the merchant class into the upper classes. Maybe there's something about that transition I never learned about.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I feel ya. This is the only show I'm watching this season. Slim pickings otherwise.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Thats... quite a turn of events. Its still kind of weird how the friday fellows see all this magic but never learn about tanukis.

I wonder, yasaburou would have to provide the tanuki for next hotpot. Is he going to try presenting himself, and hope the other members just like him too much to go through with it?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Doc V posted:

If you want a human perspective of Morimiverse, I recommend checking out Tatami Galaxy if you haven't already and especially the Yoru wa Mijikashi Aruke yo Otome movie when it gets translated. I'm about 50 pages into the latter and there's already been a whole bunch of references to stuff that shows up in the Eccentric Family.

poo poo I didn't know this author did tatami galaxy. I loved tatami galaxy. These are in the same world?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Knorth posted:

Tanukimom peeking up from under the kotatsu was very cute, I want to hug a tanuki

I wanted to find a picture of an ugly takuni for a reaction image, but I couldn't find one. I guess tanukis are just cute.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

They really need to stop having election day on hotpot day.

Also I'm hoping yasaburo's transformation gimmik with kaisei is more than "just because". It's just looking like plot convenience right now.

Usually that happens when they get scared right? What's he got, fear of commitment?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Do they actually say that every tanuki has a special random kryptonite in the books? That just sounds like lazy writing.

I know with the cages they said tanuki can't shapeshift when they lose their 'inner peace' or whatever. Everyone getting scared of benten, the mother freaking out at lightning, frog-bro feeling guilty in front of his mother, those all play into that. I was hoping they'd eventually give a reason why daddy-racoon was the same with benten (show really seems to like playing the long game with reveals).

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm expecting the reasoning to be Yasaburo just think's Kaisei is so cute that he loses concentration on maintaining his human form. I doubt it'll be something much more complicated than that.

I'm going to give the show credit and assume it's not that dumb.

Also getting horny isn't something that triggers any of the other tanuks. Even the awkward older brother and chess girl couple. The MC even mentions how it would be absurd to marry someone that un-shapechanges them at a glance, so that sort of thing can't be common for couples.

I guess the yasaburo could just be a special plot convenient snowflake though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I was wondering why they don't just turn into birds and fly down when I remembered something. Tanuki never seem to transform into anything that can fly. Never birds or anything like that. The closest is when they use the wine pot to make tram-yajiro fly. Now, it could just be that they can't turn into birds, like they're supposed to be earth spirits or something. I have a suspicion though, that they could, they just won't. They mention that the skies of kyoto belong to the tengu, and a tanuki turning into a bird seems like it would disrupt the social order of that. Is there anything like that mentioned in the book?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Strange. When they turn into tigers they seem to have the strength of tigers, and the tram seems to have had the weight and sturdiness of a tram when it hit that building.

I'm gunna guess the author just never really made concrete rules for how it all works.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Oh wow. Yeah that's definitely skipping some stuff.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I wonder if they're just counting on a third season, and they'll explain it better there. The kind of did that with the detailing the first season too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Alder posted:

Who is the person Benten needs though? I mean, she's a the point where she had isolated herself from everyone tanuki and tengu.

Lets be honest, benten and the heir are going to end up boning eventually. It's just a matter of how much drama the author wants to slip in before then.

• Locked thread