Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Pavlov posted:

Like, the little raccoons treat it like some inevitable law of nature that one of them gets ate every year and leave it at that.

I think that's exactly it. They see themselves as "little raccoons". For all that they seem to spend 90% of the time upright and humanoid, they consider themselves to have as little say in how the humans treat them as any dumb animal would. Same reason Yasaburou defaults to "obsequious functionary" whenever he's around a tengu: the tengu are above, the tanuki are below, and that's just the way the world works.

Or, maybe it's an honour thing. Tanuki are tricksters: if a human manages to trap them in a cage, well, they lost in a fair fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Like, Benten is an obviously shady individual who betrayed her respected master and loves eating Tanuki but no one really seems to hate her for it, except for Kaisei.

I'm not certain if Kaisei dislikes Benten because Benten eats people or because Yasaburou is clearly crushing on her. Every time she gets mad about her she gets mad because Yasaburou brought her up... but that's also the only times anyone brings up Benten in her presence.

I don't know if I'd be so quick to condemn Benten, either. The show goes out of its way to make her seem opaque and alien, but here's what we know about her life:

• The young, teenage Benten is walking along a shore when Yakushibou spots her, falls in love, and abducts her. Just swoops down and carries her off on the spot.
  • Benten spends a period of some length with Yakushibou. Long enough for him to teach her how to fly.
  • Benten obtains membership with the Friday Fellows, a group of (mostly) wealthy and influential men, most notably Juroujin, to whom she becomes particularly attached. She exchanges Souichirou's life for this.
  • She then convinces Yasuburou to play a trick on his master, that results in Yakushibou losing his powers.
  • From this point forwards, she refuses to have anything more to do with Yakushibou.
  • At some point during this sequence, Benten becomes associated with the Kurama Tengu, old rivals of Yakushibou's and direct beneficiaries of his loss of power.
  • The present (adult) Benten is miserable. She's frequently to be found crying into Yajirou's well, and drink makes her morose and short-tempered.

It's not hard to read this as a woman in an abusive relationship finding a way to escape her abuser and then taking revenge on him, though you would need to take a much more negative view of Yakushibou's actions than the show presents.

I actually sat down and rewatched the first season this evening, after I made that last post. It's striking how much... brattier? Yasaburou is in the beginning compared to where he ends up.

Pavlov posted:

Those are all interesting reads, but the show would only have needed a few throw-away lines to make that clear. Something like the older brother talking about doing something rash after the dad gets ate, and someone quickly talking him down. Or the younger brother asking why nobody's ever tried stopping things, before the Inescapable Social Order gets explained to him. Or really anyone just lamenting how no tanuki could ever stand up to a human etc. The fact that there's no introspection about this is pretty noticable, given that it's such an obvious bit of world-building to do.

For the record, I think the show communicates the tanukis' inability to use their powers against the Friday Fellows is communicated perfectly well. It's made very clear- implicitly and explicitly- that they can't transform or maintain their transformations in high stress situations, and then we're shown that basically anything remotely threatening is a high stress situation for a tanuki. Just the realisation that they're in the same room as the Friday Fellows is enough to make the elders lose their human forms en masse. You barely need to infer here.

• Locked thread