Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I spent yesterday marathoning the 1st season and just got caught up with the 2nd, and man this is a good anime. From the name and the gifs I'd seen I was expecting it to be a mostly comedy show with good focus on family, and it was that but more serious and thoughtful than I was expecting. I like stories with big ensemble casts and even though Yasaburou is pretty clearly the main character most of the cast played really important roles and had their own plot-lines that all converged in the finale. I really enjoyed it.

BattleHamster posted:

I can't say I ever really questioned it or noticed it since that need for revenge never really fit my idea of the characters. I believe there is a line in the first season where Yasaburo talks about tanukis having a much more peaceful nature than Tengu/Humans, and the Shimogamo family clearly wanted to blame their idiocy of letting their dad wander off drunk and alone more than they wanted to blame Benten or the Friday Fellows. Theres some obvious differences but I guess its a little bit like Timothy Treadwell. Even though he was able to "get along" with a lot of grizzly bears he eventually got eaten by one. I don't think many people would think revenge on the bear is the correct answer to that situation or that humankind should rise up and oust the bears just because one person got eaten.

Yeah. I think Yasaburou mentions in season 1 that it's just not in a Tanuki's nature to hold a grudge or hate anyone. If Sou'un wasn't a fellow Tanuki and family, I doubt there'd have been as big repercussions of someone basically leading the Tanuki President to his death. If it had been a Tengu or human who did it, I think everyone would have just accepted it as being a sad event that unfortunately is quite common to Tanuki. I don't they'd blame anyone (except maybe Yaichirou would. But he's mentioned as being pretty human-like). Like, Benten is an obviously shady individual who betrayed her respected master and loves eating Tanuki but no one really seems to hate her for it, except for Kaisei. A bunch of people distrust her or a terrified of her, but it's not really dislike.

Tanuki are strange is what i'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pavlov posted:

It's not really a matter of revenge, as much as it is stopping the practice. At this point half the family has been eaten or almost even at that party. You'd think someone would at least ponder how to keep the same thing from happening next year.

I mean the tanuki don't seem that dumb. If there's this one bear that just keeps eating people year after year, eventually someone's going to ask if they should do something about the bear.

I think the Tanuki answer would be to just avoid the bear.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The show doesn't really seem all that interested in saying anyone's good or evil or anything (outside of Sou'un). I guess you could say it doesn't try to judge anyone. It doesn't say the Friday Fellows are bad for eating sentient creatures of which they maybe sorta know are sentient. Benten's not a bad person for crippling her master without caring about it or eating and capturing the father of someone she's incredibly close to, and she's not a good person for always helping Yasaburou and reconciling with The Professor at the end of the 1st season. Akadama's not wrong for still supporting and giving everything to Benten even though she killed his best friend and betrayed him, nor is he a bad person for his fight with his son. Hotei's not wrong for eating Tanuki and he's not right for deciding to no longer eat Tanuki. Ginkaku and Kinkaku aren't evil for helping their father's plans under full knowledge that Yaichirou was going to die, they're just idiots.

Sou'un's the exception. Maybe because it went against family. Maybe because it was a betrayal. Maybe because he's like the only character who's not up front about his desires and goals and stuff. The show has a sorta detached view from morality I guess. It's not something the show's interested in addressing. I kinda enjoy it. It's interesting.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Benten is obviously and most certainly out for herself.

Doesn't mean she only cares about herself though. She just cares about herself the most.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Hahaha gently caress you benten, get dumped.

You know I did wonder why everyone was so scared of benten in particular. In the first season her only real talents were flying and gold digging an old man. I'm guessing if she can deflect bullets she's got some other poo poo up her sleeve though.

She's a human, the most terrifying being in the world, who is also a Tengu wizard and eats Tanuki for fun. She's very scary.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Oh my Nidaime is going to die so much.

Hey, did you see his pro ironing? British Gentleman are not to be trifled with.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Man I just realized, if the magic society is a stand in for feudal japan, then nidaime gets to play the roll of the westernization that upturned it. He literally upturned it this episode, right on her rear end.

He doesn't seem like he really wants to upturn the system or anything, he just wants to kill his dad.

If anything he kinda comes off to me as a parallel to Benten. Tengu who acts human (i'm guessing that's where his "i'm not a Tengu" thing is going) compared to human who acts Tengu.

Edit: If anything Benten has more upturned magic society since she's just a human and she's mastered Tengu magic and all.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 24, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Benten's absurdly petty retaliations against the Nidaime are extremely good. :allears:

Also wow, it is becoming very clear Nidaime really should've been translated.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's kind of funny how they don't translate any use of 'Nidaime' so they can keep the word itself as an important theme of the story. The title of this episode makes no sense if you don't understand Nidaime means Heir.

Also, I think it's becoming fairly clear that even after 100 years of banishment The Nidaime still has a similar taste in women as his Father. Though I think he's also basically telling the truth when he talks about how much he hates Benten.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well, it's not like Benten isn't having an arc this season. She's Akadama's appointed successor, and with successors and heirs being a big part of the season she's had some stuff going on. I mean she was one of the Heirs the latest episode's title was referring to, and a big part of the story so far has been the mirroring of her and The Nidaime. Her reaction to him telling her to stop trying to be a Tengu and the way she treated her loss to him are some of the most insight we've gotten into her. And i'm expecting by the end of this story both of them will have changed a fair bit, at least in their role as heirs.

I don't think she's really going to get "redeemed" either. She might feel a little sad and I guess wistful about some of the stuff she's done but I don't think she regrets it. Sure she's inscrutable and all but it's pretty clear Benten's got motivations and goals and I don't think she regrets having acted to achieve them. She doesn't seem the type.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pavlov posted:

They really need to stop having election day on hotpot day.

Also I'm hoping yasaburo's transformation gimmik with kaisei is more than "just because". It's just looking like plot convenience right now.

Usually that happens when they get scared right? What's he got, fear of commitment?

I'm expecting the reasoning to be Yasaburo just think's Kaisei is so cute that he loses concentration on maintaining his human form. I doubt it'll be something much more complicated than that.

Kind of a shame though that this really does seem to be a mirror of at least the set up of the season 1 climax. The head of the Ebisugawa clan is planning something devious that only Kaisei has any knowledge about and tells Yasaburo of her worries, leading to both of them being captured. Though this time Benten isn't around to save him. I mean there's enough new characters around and new plot beats that it'll be a lot different but the set up is plenty similar. I wonder who's posing as Kureichiro though, there's not really another evil tanuki in the series unless it's a completely new character which would be strange.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Doc V posted:

Time for the most shocking twist of the season: when he's not around his brother, Ginkaku is actually a nice boy!

I'm not surprised.

I kinda figured Kureichiro had to be Soun, since I didn't think they would introduce a new evil Tanuki right at the climax but he was dead so I wasn't entirely sure. Also, Yasaburo's lucky that Benten wasn't around to hear his final line for the episode. I think that could have hit her hard.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I really enjoyed how pathetic both Nidaime and Akadama's fight and Nidaime and Benten's fight ended up being. It just devolves to hair-pulling and pushing and biting. It's so petty and small, I love it. They're just huge brats deep down.

Kinda wish they explained how Soun faked his death but whatever. The show just kinda trusts you accept some things about it and it's world and i'm cool with that. Soun and Tenmaya making ramen together in Hell is a pretty good end for them though.

I don't think I liked this season as much as the 1st. Still really enjoyed it and all though. A good anime.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm pretty sure Akadama just didn't bother teaching Yasaburo Tengu magic. He favoured Benten and I doubt Yasaburo would've wanted to learn anyway.

Also nobody won that fight. They both suffered a heavy defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Doc V posted:

Okay, here we go. Stuff from the last episode, off the top of my head:

-They cut out all of the heir's actual character development from his epilogue lol

Could you explain what this was? Sounds vaguely important if a 3rd season ever ends up happening.

I wonder why they skipped that stuff about the Hotel though because that seems interesting, and kinda essential to the mystery of the connection between Benten and The Nidaime's old flame. And while I think I got a decent understanding of The Nidaime's past and even how his relationship with Benten is affected by his old crush, I thought it was a conscious decision to not really go into the context behind the women he fell in love with rather than something that was seemingly cut for time. I assumed we were just supposed to read Benten's similarity to her as a coincidence.

• Locked thread