Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I always got this vague impression that the tanuki eating was just supposed to be accepted in some sort of zen way (based largely upon Souichiro's acceptance of it prior to his own murder), but I'm hoping that the show moves towards a more explicit "no this poo poo is hosed, Benten and anyone else who knows tanuki are sentient is a Bad Person" conclusion.

The show's finale should be Yasaburou turning into a T-Rex and eating Benten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like the show is trying to portray Benten as a morally ambiguous character, but I disagree with its interpretation if this is the case. Nothing in her history could possibly excuse this sort of thing short of some contrived hidden circumstances (like if some dudes have accosted her and said "yo we'll kill you if you don't catch and eat a tanuki"). I don't blame the tanuki (since, as other people have mentioned, it seems to be in their natures to accept this sort of thing and they're virtually powerless against any opponent they aren't confident about beating from the start), but I do blame the Friday Fellows members who are aware of the tanukis' sentience.

To use the bear example someone gave, if bears were sentient I would absolutely blame them for killing a person. The only reason we don't blame them is because, well, they're bears. We can't expect them to know any better. While I can't speak for tanuki, as a human myself I can say with utmost certainty that it would be hosed up if I killed and ate one of the tanuki as portrayed in this show.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 19, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eh, if you capriciously murder and eat folks I think that pretty much constitutes being evil. Again, I would agree that I think the show itself is trying to present her in the way you mentioned, but I disagree with that interpretation of her actions.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding capricious characters (or people in general, really), I feel it makes more sense to judge people by the bad things they do than the good things. Like, no matter how much good a person does, if he also does terribly evil things for no reason that makes him evil. It's not like things balance out if you give to charity after knifing someone in a dark alley.

All this being said, I don't really mind the show's approach to these topics. The fact that I personally disagree with the way it seems to be portraying some of the characters doesn't mean I don't still find it interesting. It would be a much more boring show if it was just about the tanukis getting together and loving up the Friday Fellows.

• Locked thread