Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

If you (much like my fellow league members and I) have been missing that special something in your virtual football life which Madden has not really been capable of delivering, then allow me to rekindle that flame for you. That's right, folks, NCAA is back! Now, some of us never left to begin with, but over the last 2 years this game has experienced several near fatal hiatuses. However, while the game comes with its fair share of buggy moments, the spirit of the gameplay has never left as witnessed by the continuation of update rosters fleshed out by the NCAA community. More importantly, the servers have stabilized themselves for quite some time now.

Join us is taking things back to the way they used to be!

League Info
Type: The Carousel - With the '16-'17 rosters in hand, players will begin using 1* programs excluded from the Power 5 conferences. Exceptions will be considered for those who join after Season 1. All users must begin as an OC or DC at the program, and can only become a HC coach through the carousel during the offseason. I will manage the carousel, and players will be expected to merely respond to through the GroupMe chat when they are on the clock. To make this as smooth as possible, as we near the end of a season I will choose a weekend day on which the carousel will be carried out.

Settings
Difficulty: All-American
Quarters: 6mins; Accel Clock
Starting Coach Level: 1 - as OC/DC
Coach Progression: Fast
Home-Field Advantage: On
Ice the Kicker: On

Rules - TBD

Comms
- GroupMe: Since there are a couple of non-goons, we'll be using GroupMe for chatting and scheduling games. This thread will be solely used to post weekly advances, and for any other goons who may be interested in joining.

Members (11) - 1 Open Slot
FAU: Diodeous; GT - Benedict Wong
Georgia State: Non-Goon; GT - SchulteDAG3
Memphis: Notorious ZSB; GT - JDMTyte
Old Dominion: Non-Goon; GT - Pfunk81
San Jose State: Wiccan Wasteland; GT - BJTheRealist
Team TBD: WhatSpeakYou; GT - WhatSpeakYou85
Team TBD: Non-Goon; GT - CrazyD133
Team TBD: Non-Goon(LBJ); GT - TBD
ULL: Cletus420; GT - cletus42o
Washington State: Dubious; GT - dubious
Western Kentucky: John Brown; GT - True Cryme :siren:Commish:siren:

NOTE: We're hoping to quickly get the league started (by this weekend if possible) so don't hesitate to reach out if you're interested.

John Brown fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
my 360 is gone. Ordering a used one off Amazon for like 80 bucks. Should be here in a few days.

Until then, what 1 star teams are left? Is Eastern Michigan still a 1 star, because I remember starting one of the carousels with them.

Also, do we need more people? I might be able to get another 1-2 folks.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Woof, getting adjusted to this coming from Madden is tough.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

whatspeakyou posted:

my 360 is gone. Ordering a used one off Amazon for like 80 bucks. Should be here in a few days.

Until then, what 1 star teams are left? Is Eastern Michigan still a 1 star, because I remember starting one of the carousels with them.

Also, do we need more people? I might be able to get another 1-2 folks.

Just now seeing this so feel free to ignore my PM. I'm not sure which teams are left but I could take a look tonight.

Also, more players would be nice, but I'll only hold off until you're r2a so they may need to move quickly. We're ready to get this show on the road.

Shoot me your GM info so I can add you to the chat.

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Played Madden last night since Madden 25(?) and it was rough. I mean, I blew the guy out but my play was sloppy and a bit lost at times.

EDIT: We're rebooting the ACC as well so if either of you are even mildly interested, we could invite you and put you on AP until you're ready to fully commit. That way you could avoid the bug if and when joining later.

John Brown fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 17, 2017

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

I can't wait, it's going to be a poo poo show for me.

I PM'd JB about this, but depending on what ruleset you guys what to use, I may be able to get us our own sub-forum and possibly shoutbox at my sim league website. Would have to be sim-style rules though so that's up to JB and the rest of you. Site is super user-friendly and mobile friendly though, so we wouldn't even need to use GroupMe. I have 2 guys that I know of already that would be interested in filling out the last few spots in the league.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

whatspeakyou posted:

I can't wait, it's going to be a poo poo show for me.

I PM'd JB about this, but depending on what ruleset you guys what to use, I may be able to get us our own sub-forum and possibly shoutbox at my sim league website. Would have to be sim-style rules though so that's up to JB and the rest of you. Site is super user-friendly and mobile friendly though, so we wouldn't even need to use GroupMe. I have 2 guys that I know of already that would be interested in filling out the last few spots in the league.

Check the edit above.

I'll ask the rest of the gang how they feel about this, but at this point I think we're just ready to get to ballin'. However, I will say that I will be a bit more lenient than normal sim-style rules since they can be very strict. Here's a very rough draft of the rules that I've edited to my own liking:

quote:

GAMEPLAY RULES:

Please Send All Game Complaints to John Brown/True Cryme, with video evidence**** No QUITTING game under any circumstance it must be played out. If you quit then you will likely not be able to collect sufficient video evidence from the end-game highlights.

If your game disconnects at any point during the 1st half or in close game you will MOCK the game back to Quarter/Possession/Score unless BOTH owners agree to replay from beginning. If ONE owner wants to MOCK the game then it will be MOCKED back to SCORE/QUARTER/POSSESSION. If game is disconnected at end of the 3rd [less than 2 minutes] or later and it is a blowout [up 21 points or more] then the User that is Winning can choose to MOCK game back to that point or PLAY CPU putting other user on Auto Pilot. In the 4th quarter with 3 minutes or less, if you are down 17 points or more and game DC’s then the USER that is AHEAD can play CPU to get the WIN, while the USER that was LOSING will put himself on Auto Pilot.*** If a game DC’s and the team losing is down by 17 or more points, and due to time constraints the USER who is winning does not have time to mock back the game, then I will make a decision based on time left and possession to determine whether the team down 21 points should be forced to take a supersim LOSS. ***

PLAY CALLING ON OFFENSE AND DEFENSE

Strategically mixing up your Offense and Defense is REQUIRED. /// NO ABUSE ///Running the same defense or offense throughout the game is NOT allowed.
OFFENSE:
- Offense you shouldn't call the same play from the same set more than three times in a game. Running plays ensue you are mixing up and not abusing. You can run the same run play twice in a row, once a quarter.
- Maximum of 5 HB/FB, and 5 WR/TE screens per game.

NO HUDDLE:
• No Huddle is only allowed in the following situations.
o Any Quarter - Down 17; One full drive per quarter
o 2nd Quarter - 2 min and under
o 4th Quarter - Down 8 or more
o 4th Quarter (3 Minutes and Under) - Down Any Amount

4TH DOWN RULE: [You can go for it if it fits one of these scenarios]
- Any Quarter - 4th and 1 or shorter, at or past your opponents 40
- Quarter 1 - 3 - Down by 17 points or more.
- 4th Quarter - Any distance - Down by 8 Points or more
- 4th Quarter - Under 2 Minutes - Any distance - losing by any amount
- Over Time - You can go for it at your own risk.

NO RUNNING UP THE SCORE
- Chew Clock can be used with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter, or if your opponent has conceded and asks for you to run it out to end the game.
- You do not have to run the ball all three plays and then punt. You can always attempt to gain the first down, but there is a difference between being aggressive and trying to get first down to continue running clock. We do expect you to take a knee at the end of the game and take your win if your opponent isn't calling timeouts and you can run it down to zero time left. Two min left and no timeouts, take a knee.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

John Brown posted:

Check the edit above.

I'll ask the rest of the gang how they feel about this, but at this point I think we're just ready to get to ballin'. However, I will say that I will be a bit more lenient than normal sim-style rules since they can be very strict. Here's a very rough draft of the rules that I've edited to my own liking:

Are we good on switching players on offense and defense? Like switching to WRs to catch a pass, switching to closest defenders for INTs or tackles, doing left sticking, etc? For those who don't know, left sticking is basically doing that goofy looking curvy running instead of using jukes for cuts.

Just want to clarify so I can get my mind right for this, since none of that is allowed in sim leagues that I've been solely playing for the past 4 years.

I'd be on board with switching, but left sticking is some fugly poo poo!

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 17, 2017

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
JB, add 1 non-goon user to the roster. I told him to get a GroupMe account and shoot me the info. Put him down in the OP as CrazyD with a team tbd.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

whatspeakyou posted:

Are we good on switching players on offense and defense? Like switching to WRs to catch a pass, switching to closest defenders for INTs or tackles, doing left sticking, etc? For those who don't know, left sticking is basically doing that goofy looking curvy running instead of using jukes for cuts.

Just want to clarify so I can get my mind right for this, since none of that is allowed in sim leagues that I've been solely playing for the past 4 years.

I'd be on board with switching, but left sticking is some fugly poo poo!

I just can't see myself not allowing folks to switch to nearby players. Too many times I've personally been burned by watching the CPU get toasted, lost, or terribly out of position.

Can you post a video example of left-sticking? I think I know what you mean but I want to make sure we're thinking of the same thing. Also, can you post the site's sim rules? Although, I will say that if switching isn't allowed then we're almost definitely not going to be able to take advantage of it and its capabilities.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

whatspeakyou posted:

JB, add 1 non-goon user to the roster. I told him to get a GroupMe account and shoot me the info. Put him down in the OP as CrazyD with a team tbd.

Will do. Is that his GT as well?

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

John Brown posted:

I just can't see myself not allowing folks to switch to nearby players. Too many times I've personally been burned by watching the CPU get toasted, lost, or terribly out of position.

Can you post a video example of left-sticking? I think I know what you mean but I want to make sure we're thinking of the same thing. Also, can you post the site's sim rules? Although, I will say that if switching isn't allowed then we're almost definitely not going to be able to take advantage of it and its capabilities.

You as the commish set the rules. Just the more sim they are the more folks there will enjoy it. I'll see if I can hunt down an example of left sticking. I see it in every EA madden tournament video, so it shouldn't be hard.

Below is the list of Madden rules from my other site, which I have slimmed down for this. I removed all the switching rules, ballhawk stuff, etc. Feel free to use whatever.

quote:

General Rules

• Be active on the community and website. It is required that all users stay up to date with their team write-ups / articles, and scheduling.
• Non-Team playbooks are banned.
• Custom playbooks are banned.
• Super Sim is banned from use in CPU games. If your opponent must go on auto-pilot for any reason, you should either have the game simulated, or you must play the entire game from start to finish. Super Sim generates highly unrealistic statistics.
• Users are allowed to play a CPU opponent (or user on auto pilot) a maximum of three times. A user who exceeds three times will have player(s) suspended. If you play three times but do not finish the game you may take a simulation game if desired.
• All teams are required to carry at least three active back-up offensive linemen (8 total) at all times.
• All teams are required to carry at least three safeties at all times.
• All teams are required to play players at their respective positions. No cornerbacks playing safety and vice versa. Position switching is approved during the offseason.

Gameplay Rules

Offensive Rules
•The use of "playmaker" is banned.
•Mix up your play-calling. As stated when you signed up for the CFL, this is a realistic football league. You should not be using the same formation or same three routes / plays all game. Play football, not a video game.
•Users found to be running curl routes, drags, inside zone, read option, etc. all game long and on all crucial plays will be suspended or even booted from the league for violation of the rules.
•Use of the no-huddle will be monitored closely. You should not use a no huddle for extended stretches of time, except in realistic situations (two minute offense) or for a quick change of pace (couple of consecutive plays on a random drive).
•Hot routing is to be used in a controlled manner. You shouldn't be hot routing every single play, or using 2, 3 or 4 hot routes in single plays multiple times a game.

Defensive Rules
•You may only move one player around pre-snap.
•Run Commit is banned.
•Mix up your playcalling. You should not be running the same drop zone defense the entire game. Again, play football not a video game..

4th Down Rules
•You may go for it on 4th down inside your opponents 45 yardline on 4th and inches only. This does not mean that you should go for in on 4th and inches five times in one game.
•You may go for it on 4th down in any situation inside of 5 minutes remaining in regulation while trailing by multiple scores (more than 8 points)
•You may go for it on 4th down in any situation inside of 2 minutes remaining in regulation when trailing the game, unless a field goal will tie the game and you are in clear field goal range (inside of 50 yards).
•You are now allowed to make one "coaches decision" per game on fourth down. This must be in a realistic situation only. For example, you are trailing by 6 points in the third quarter, it is 4th down and 2, with the ball on your opponent's 35 yardline with a 14 mph wind blowing at you. You may use your one coaches call on fourth down in this situation. You may then only go for it on fourth and inches per the original league rule for the remainder of the game.

Running Rules
•Left sticking is still prohibited in excessive changes of direction. Madden 17 has done a nice job of cleaning this up, however you still may not turn a dive or draw straight outside from the moment the football is handed off. Using the left stick to hit holes within a gap of your run and for subtle movement is allowed.

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 17, 2017

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Here's the example from madden 25 my league used to use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCJaB7TuGCI

Crazy's GT is CrazyD133. his groupme is dylanbmyers@gmail.com

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 17, 2017

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

You're not going to like this, but if I'm being completely honest, I don't think any of those examples were too bad.

However, I will say that there is an extreme form of zig-zagging that is far more worse and effective in NCAA. When the online h2h was active, guys would choose Oregon, split DeAnthony Thomas out wide, and run WR reverses while left-sticking their way to a TD. I'd certainly ban anything like that, but I think (if referring to the videos above) there's nothing unrealistic about what I saw. Guys in the football make cuts all the time and don't just juke their way down the field.

If this is a deal-breaker for you and your guys, what is a middle ground for all parties? Or, is there something else we could address to compensate for allowing non-extreme forms of left-sticking? I'm considering restricting position changes (for non-athletes) to their respective position families (i.e. banning moving safeties to LB unless you have a glaring roster hole to fill).

Also, understand that we've been playing very different styles for the last few years so it'll take some learning from everyone on both sides. There may be some bumps in the road during the first season until we all are clearly aligned on specific examples of these violations. All in all, I know through our history of playing together that neither one of us play with folks that use extreme forms of cheesiness.

EDIT: Crazy's been invited but it says he needs to accept via email or download the app.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

John Brown posted:

You're not going to like this, but if I'm being completely honest, I don't think any of those examples were too bad.

However, I will say that there is an extreme form of zig-zagging that is far more worse and effective in NCAA. When the online h2h was active, guys would choose Oregon, split DeAnthony Thomas out wide, and run WR reverses while left-sticking their way to a TD. I'd certainly ban anything like that, but I think (if referring to the videos above) there's nothing unrealistic about what I saw. Guys in the football make cuts all the time and don't just juke their way down the field.

If this is a deal-breaker for you and your guys, what is a middle ground for all parties? Or, is there something else we could address to compensate for allowing non-extreme forms of left-sticking? I'm considering restricting position changes (for non-athletes) to their respective position families (i.e. banning moving safeties to LB unless you have a glaring roster hole to fill).

Also, understand that we've been playing very different styles for the last few years so it'll take some learning from everyone on both sides. There may be some bumps in the road during the first season until we all are clearly aligned on specific examples of these violations. All in all, I know through our history of playing together that neither one of us play with folks that use extreme forms of cheesiness.

EDIT: Crazy's been invited but it says he needs to accept via email or download the app.

The first play of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCJaB7TuGCI is the kind of poo poo I mean. There's just no excuse for that. That kind of stuff would be a deal breaker for me, absolutely. Beyond that I'm sure it'll be fine.

If I were you, I'd restrict non-athletes to their position families, with the exception being DEs and OLBs just because if someone runs a 3-4, they may go after pass rushing DEs to fill that need. Anything beyond that should prolly be a case-by-case basis (a former athlete who was initially moved to HB but then gets slid to WR might be good, but not a WR to TE or poo poo like that). Basically keep it reasonable so people don't put a drat WR at TE or something dumb.

I'd be all for longer quarters too, but I've been used to 11 minute quarters for years now lol. Dunno how others feel about that, but the games are shorter till you are either in a user game or a HC. But whatever everyone is happy with.

Are we going to use up-to-date rosters that some NCAA community folks have been making? That'd be awesome.

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 17, 2017

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

whatspeakyou posted:

The first play of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCJaB7TuGCI is the kind of poo poo I mean. There's just no excuse for that. That kind of stuff would be a deal breaker for me, absolutely. Beyond that I'm sure it'll be fine.

The first two plays are ridiculous and I wouldn't put up with them either. That last play in the video looks like the defense was caught in a man defense and the runner had the option to go inside or outside due to the OLB being blocked at the POA. It's a bad read by the runner for sure but the defense has to take responsibility to not let themselves be outflanked and leave his safety in a 1 on 1 situation with a runner.

whatspeakyou posted:

If I were you, I'd restrict non-athletes to their position families, with the exception being DEs and OLBs just because if someone runs a 3-4, they may go after pass rushing DEs to fill that need. Anything beyond that should prolly be a case-by-case basis (a former athlete who was initially moved to HB but then gets slid to WR might be good, but not a WR to TE or poo poo like that). Basically keep it reasonable so people don't put a drat WR at TE or something dumb.

Would it be ok to move safeties in the box for nickle/dime/dollar formations to play inside linebackers? This is something that's being used more and more in both College and the Pros with players like Deone Bucannon, Barry Church, Su'a Cravens, Miles Killebrew, Jabrill Peppers etc.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

The first two plays are ridiculous and I wouldn't put up with them either. That last play in the video looks like the defense was caught in a man defense and the runner had the option to go inside or outside due to the OLB being blocked at the POA. It's a bad read by the runner for sure but the defense has to take responsibility to not let themselves be outflanked and leave his safety in a 1 on 1 situation with a runner.

Would it be ok to move safeties in the box for nickle/dime/dollar formations to play inside linebackers? This is something that's being used more and more in both College and the Pros with players like Deone Bucannon, Barry Church, Su'a Cravens, Miles Killebrew, Jabrill Peppers etc.

I'd be good with that. Hell even Madden 17 has a 4-2-5 dime in it with a SS in at LB. Maybe should be a case-by-case basis though, as the frequency of that as a whole isn't very high.

JB, check your PMs. Crazy didn't get anything from groupme or email yet. Sent you his name and e-mail again just to make sure I didn't fat finger it.

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 17, 2017

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
JB I picked up another non-goon user. Shoot an invite to dgmarschinke@comcast.net. Make him down in the OP as LBJ.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

whatspeakyou posted:

I'd be all for longer quarters too, but I've been used to 11 minute quarters for years now lol. Dunno how others feel about that, but the games are shorter till you are either in a user game or a HC. But whatever everyone is happy with.

Are we going to use up-to-date rosters that some NCAA community folks have been making? That'd be awesome.

Re quarters: All the guys I play with are used to 6min quarters, and not having to play as much (at least during Season 1 due to OC/DC) was part of the pitch.

Re roster moves: I'd specify on those but that was just one example. LB to DE is reasonable, but not like LB to DT (lol). Also, we have '16-17 which are the latest to be put out. '17-18 are underway but we don't feel like waiting for the construction of that one.

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Re Left-Sticking: Would a middle ground be not to allow it on kickoffs (as that appears to be where it's most effective)? I think I'm one of only two people who do that so it shouldn't be too big of an adjustment. Other than that, I unfortunately can't ask 6-7 players to change their way of running in the open field for the past 6 years. Also, I truly feel like strict left-sticking rules would alleviate the defensive user of accountability through making adjustments, and of not having to maintain contain on the edge.

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

I'd be okay with that as long as it is part of the original formation as a sub-package.

Here's draft #2 of the rules I've come up with. My comments above have not yet been incorporated (including left-sticking and roster moves):

quote:

League Settings
• Gameplay - Modified SIM [Emphasis on realistic play-calling and strategic situational football, rather than specific user-controlling]
• Difficulty – All-American
• Quarter Length - 6 Min Quarters; Accel. Clock 20 Sec.
• Advance Time - Every 5 days / 120 hours
• Game Scheduling - You should contact your opponent and schedule a game time within 24 Hours after Week's Advance [Failure to do so could result in Coach being placed on Auto Pilot]. You must do a direct GroupMe message and tag the player in general GroupMe chat.
• Communication - GroupMe App https://www.groupme.com
• Ice The Kicker – ON
• Home Field Advantage – ON

General Rules
• Be active and responsive in the chat. If needed I will arbitrarily determine who will be simmed (due to unavailability) based on your responsiveness.
• Custom and non-team playbooks are allowed. However, custom plays of any kind are not permitted.
• Do not beat a user who is on AP by more than 21pts. If this happens I will undo the score and force it to sim. If needed you can simply allow FGs or TDs late in the game should you find yourself up by too many points.

General Play Calling on Offense and Defense

Strategically mixing up your Offense and Defense is REQUIRED. /// NO ABUSE ///Running the same defense or offense throughout the game is NOT allowed.

OFFENSE:
• Offense you shouldn't call the same play from the same set more than three times in a game. Running plays ensue you are mixing up and not abusing. You can run the same run play twice in a row, once a quarter.
• Maximum of 5 HB/FB, and 5 WR/TE screens per game.

NO HUDDLE:
• No Huddle is only allowed in the following situations.
o Any Quarter - Down 17; One full drive per quarter
o 2nd Quarter - 2 min and under
o 4th Quarter - Down 8 or more
o 4th Quarter (3 Minutes and Under) - Down Any Amount

DEFENSE:
• Defense must be mixed up on play calls and type of defense. Man - Cover 4 - Cover 3 - Cover 2 – Blitz. You shouldn't be 95% Man or 95% Zone. If your more than 80% one side or the other, then you are in a violation. You cannot call the same type of coverage more than two times in a row. So when in RedZone, we shouldn't see Cover 2 Zone Three Straight Times. Just mix it up and adjust to the situation. If someone goes 4 wide every play we understand you may have to adjust.
• You must rush at minimum 3 players. You cannot pick a play that rushes three players then drop one back into coverage. You cannot choose plays that only rush 2 players.
• You are allowed to user move only 1 player pre snap. This does not include Position Shifts to the D-Line, LB, or Secondary adjustments. [Ex. D Line adjust left / CB Show Blitz / LB Spread]
• Nano-blitzing is not allowed, of course.
• Run-commit is allowed as it can be easily and effectively mitigated by play-action.

Situational Play Calling on Offense

4TH DOWN RULE: [You can go for it if it fits one of these scenarios]
• Any Quarter - 4th and 1 or shorter, at or past your opponents 40
• Quarter 1 - 3 - Down by 17 points or more.
• 4th Quarter - Any distance - Down by 8 Points or more
• 4th Quarter - Under 2 Minutes - Any distance - losing by any amount
• Over Time - You can go for it at your own risk

NO RUNNING UP THE SCORE
- Chew Clock can be used with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter, or if your opponent has conceded and asks for you to run it out to end the game.
- You do not have to run the ball all three plays and then punt. You can always attempt to gain the first down, but there is a difference between being aggressive and trying to get first down to continue running clock. We do expect you to take a knee at the end of the game and take your win if your opponent isn't calling timeouts and you can run it down to zero time left. Two min left and no timeouts, take a knee.

Roster Management:

Complaints:

Please Send all game complaints directly to John Brown/True Cryme, with video evidence****If you quit without finishing then you are risking not being able to collect sufficient video evidence from the end-game highlights.

If your game disconnects at any point during the 1st half or in close game you will MOCK the game back to Quarter/Possession/Score unless BOTH owners agree to replay from beginning. If ONE owner wants to MOCK the game then it will be MOCKED back to SCORE/QUARTER/POSSESSION. If game is disconnected at end of the 3rd [less than 2 minutes] or later and it is a blowout [up 21 points or more] then the User that is Winning can choose to MOCK game back to that point or PLAY CPU putting other user on Auto Pilot. In the 4th quarter with 3 minutes or less, if you are down 17 points or more and game DC’s then the USER that is AHEAD can play CPU to get the WIN, while the USER that was LOSING will put himself on Auto Pilot.*** If a game DC’s and the team losing is down by 17 or more points, and due to time constraints the USER who is winning does not have time to mock back the game, then I will make a decision based on time left and possession to determine whether the team down 21 points should be forced to take a supersim LOSS. ***

I'm going to hold off on adding more players until we can align on rules because this seems important. Although, I hope we can work this out because I'd like for us all to game again after so long. Also, I don't care that I'm the commish - although I sometimes joke about being a dictator I often leave my ego at the door. I try to go with what works for most folks.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
If we have folks that are okay with doing the kind of running from the first play or two in that video, I won't be participating. That's not even in the realm of something a human being can actually do at relatively full speed. I can be pretty lenient about left sticking, but those are just flat-out bad. I've never really ever understood running like that to begin with. Jukes are so effective, but running like that you might as well just remove those buttons from your controller. Those examples are just blatantly using bad physics from an aging game to avoid tacklers, even when there's other mechanisms in place to achieve the same end result. Running like that isn't even fun, so I don't get the appeal. It's much more satisfying to juke defenders out of their jock straps than to ice skate around the field like we're playing techmo bowl. A lot of lobby players use it because defenders don't react much (or at all) to it, so it makes it easier to defeat. Plus, running like that just makes recruiting easier. Don't need juke attributes, just need your thumb stick. Just dumbs down the game on multiple levels.

In Madden 17 it's much less noticeable due to better animations. Currently my league basically says "left stick for small adjustments, jukes for large ones". As a basic premise, that's a pretty reasonable approach I would think.

I like the rest of the rules though. They look solid.

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 17, 2017

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Running in 17 is tough, but it's also due to how unnaturally fast defensive players move latterly in the game. I also think most backs are unnaturally fast as well due to bad foot planting in the game is which leads to left sticking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUizPJggcWo

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

whatspeakyou posted:

Currently my league basically says "left stick for small adjustments, jukes for large ones". As a basic premise, that's a pretty reasonable approach I would think.

I like the rest of the rules though. They look solid.

Focusing on this particular part, and it feels like it closely aligns with what I'm thinking and how we typically play.

Also, understand we primarily use left-sticking because the blocking can spazz at times. You mentioned the game has old mechanics, and that applies to both defense and offense. If my blocker unreasonably misses his assignment (which happens somewhat regularly) then I'm going to try to spin/juke my way out of it, or left-stick cut out of sheer panic/reaction and let whatever happens happen. Most times left-sticking gets you planted in those situations and is actually an advantage for the defending user.

Here's my offer to recap: Ban left-sticking on kickoffs and allow light forms of it. When you feel a violation of the latter happens, and if after reviewing the video evidence of it my subjective interpretation differs, then unfortunately you could bow out if preferred.

I really think that other than kickoffs, all other instances of it will take interpretation, and that it sometimes compensates for comically blown blocking assignments.

If you're on board with this then I can put it in front of the rest and see how they react?

John Brown fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 17, 2017

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

John Brown posted:

Focusing on this particular part, and it feels like it closely aligns with what I'm thinking and how we typically play.

Also, understand we primarily use left-sticking because the blocking can spazz at times. You mentioned the game has old mechanics, and that applies to both defense and offense. If my blocker unreasonably misses his assignment (which happens somewhat regularly) then I'm going to try to spin/juke my way out of it, or left-stick cut out of sheer panic/reaction and left whatever happens happen. Most times left-sticking gets you planted in those situations and is actually an advantage for the defending user.

Here's my offer to recap: Ban left-sticking on kickoffs and allow light forms of it. When you feel a violation of the latter happens, and if after reviewing the video evidence of it my subjective interpretation differs, then unfortunately you could bow out if preferred.

I really think that other than kickoffs, all other instances of it will take interpretation, and that it sometimes compensates for comically blown blocking assignments.

If you're on board with this then I can put it in front of the rest and see how they react?

I'm good with that.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I am dusting off all my old saved links for NCAA 14. Cannot wait to bring the Air Raid and 3-3-5 Stack back. :black101:

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Sweet. Real talk though, consider this:
- First and foremost it's all subjective
- Madden may have exaggerated/enhanced its effectiveness and forced you guys to have an extra awareness of its presence (and not necessarily its potency) in NCAA.
- Most times I've seen it used on returns, running downfield while setting up WRs/TEs (which I think is very real), and on broken run plays.
- It's going to take time to adjust to, and most importantly
- I've got to get the guys bought in on this agreement.

Seriously, even if they decline I urge you to give it a shot because I don't think it's as universally effective as it is in Madden. Most of those guys in those videos would've gotten lit up by the CPU and even fumbled in NCAA. The defensive pursuit is crazy in this game when you don't use jukes, spins, or stutter steps.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
The last great Run and Shoot offense is in this game (They have 2!!!!!) and I plan on using one of them. I really want to use the 4-2-5 but the last thing I remember about that defense is that it was broke and I had trouble with slowing down both the run and pass.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
The last thing I remember from this was when I switched to the 5 wide air raid after a few of us had trouble beating one user in particular. I remember this because after I made that switch (I was Texas at the time) I broke my foot off in his rear end :black101:

This is going to be great.

John Brown posted:

Sweet. Real talk though, consider this:
- First and foremost it's all subjective
- Madden may have exaggerated/enhanced its effectiveness and forced you guys to have an extra awareness of its presence (and not necessarily its potency) in NCAA.
- Most times I've seen it used on returns, running downfield while setting up WRs/TEs (which I think is very real), and on broken run plays.
- It's going to take time to adjust to, and most importantly
- I've got to get the guys bought in on this agreement.

Seriously, even if they decline I urge you to give it a shot because I don't think it's as universally effective as it is in Madden. Most of those guys in those videos would've gotten lit up by the CPU and even fumbled in NCAA. The defensive pursuit is crazy in this game when you don't use jukes, spins, or stutter steps.

That's fine. We'll see how it goes.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

whatspeakyou posted:

The last thing I remember from this was when I switched to the 5 wide air raid after a few of us had trouble beating one user in particular. I remember this because after I made that switch (I was Texas at the time) I broke my foot off in his rear end :black101:

It was Stefan Prodan, and in return I put you down like a wild animal. Air Raid vs No Fly Zone

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

whatspeakyou posted:

I put it in front of the gang and they declined. All around, everyone (including BJ) feels like none of us play cheesy, and most believe that it isn't as effective in NCAA. However, all but one of the rules I'll formally establish are based off our natural play - which as you can see is very reasonable.

You'll have a league invite waiting for you, and I can invite Crazy D and LBJ if you think they'd still be interested.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
That's fine we can give it a shot. As soon as I see some cheddar running that is a regular occurrence though I'll probably be out. Just a fair warning in advance.

If you or anyone else wants to see what kind of game play I mean, I have a madden game tonight. It'll be streamed on twitch prolly around 5-6pm EST.

EDIT: Live now; games usually take an hour and 20 minutes. https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

whatspeakyou posted:

That's fine we can give it a shot. As soon as I see some cheddar running that is a regular occurrence though I'll probably be out. Just a fair warning in advance.

If you or anyone else wants to see what kind of game play I mean, I have a madden game tonight. It'll be streamed on twitch prolly around 5-6pm EST.

EDIT: Live now; games usually take an hour and 20 minutes. https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

Won't be able to watch, but should you decide to leave there will be no bad blood.

• Locked thread