Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
my 360 is gone. Ordering a used one off Amazon for like 80 bucks. Should be here in a few days.

Until then, what 1 star teams are left? Is Eastern Michigan still a 1 star, because I remember starting one of the carousels with them.

Also, do we need more people? I might be able to get another 1-2 folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Woof, getting adjusted to this coming from Madden is tough.

I can't wait, it's going to be a poo poo show for me.

I PM'd JB about this, but depending on what ruleset you guys what to use, I may be able to get us our own sub-forum and possibly shoutbox at my sim league website. Would have to be sim-style rules though so that's up to JB and the rest of you. Site is super user-friendly and mobile friendly though, so we wouldn't even need to use GroupMe. I have 2 guys that I know of already that would be interested in filling out the last few spots in the league.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

John Brown posted:

Check the edit above.

I'll ask the rest of the gang how they feel about this, but at this point I think we're just ready to get to ballin'. However, I will say that I will be a bit more lenient than normal sim-style rules since they can be very strict. Here's a very rough draft of the rules that I've edited to my own liking:

Are we good on switching players on offense and defense? Like switching to WRs to catch a pass, switching to closest defenders for INTs or tackles, doing left sticking, etc? For those who don't know, left sticking is basically doing that goofy looking curvy running instead of using jukes for cuts.

Just want to clarify so I can get my mind right for this, since none of that is allowed in sim leagues that I've been solely playing for the past 4 years.

I'd be on board with switching, but left sticking is some fugly poo poo!

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 17, 2017

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
JB, add 1 non-goon user to the roster. I told him to get a GroupMe account and shoot me the info. Put him down in the OP as CrazyD with a team tbd.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

John Brown posted:

I just can't see myself not allowing folks to switch to nearby players. Too many times I've personally been burned by watching the CPU get toasted, lost, or terribly out of position.

Can you post a video example of left-sticking? I think I know what you mean but I want to make sure we're thinking of the same thing. Also, can you post the site's sim rules? Although, I will say that if switching isn't allowed then we're almost definitely not going to be able to take advantage of it and its capabilities.

You as the commish set the rules. Just the more sim they are the more folks there will enjoy it. I'll see if I can hunt down an example of left sticking. I see it in every EA madden tournament video, so it shouldn't be hard.

Below is the list of Madden rules from my other site, which I have slimmed down for this. I removed all the switching rules, ballhawk stuff, etc. Feel free to use whatever.

quote:

General Rules

• Be active on the community and website. It is required that all users stay up to date with their team write-ups / articles, and scheduling.
• Non-Team playbooks are banned.
• Custom playbooks are banned.
• Super Sim is banned from use in CPU games. If your opponent must go on auto-pilot for any reason, you should either have the game simulated, or you must play the entire game from start to finish. Super Sim generates highly unrealistic statistics.
• Users are allowed to play a CPU opponent (or user on auto pilot) a maximum of three times. A user who exceeds three times will have player(s) suspended. If you play three times but do not finish the game you may take a simulation game if desired.
• All teams are required to carry at least three active back-up offensive linemen (8 total) at all times.
• All teams are required to carry at least three safeties at all times.
• All teams are required to play players at their respective positions. No cornerbacks playing safety and vice versa. Position switching is approved during the offseason.

Gameplay Rules

Offensive Rules
•The use of "playmaker" is banned.
•Mix up your play-calling. As stated when you signed up for the CFL, this is a realistic football league. You should not be using the same formation or same three routes / plays all game. Play football, not a video game.
•Users found to be running curl routes, drags, inside zone, read option, etc. all game long and on all crucial plays will be suspended or even booted from the league for violation of the rules.
•Use of the no-huddle will be monitored closely. You should not use a no huddle for extended stretches of time, except in realistic situations (two minute offense) or for a quick change of pace (couple of consecutive plays on a random drive).
•Hot routing is to be used in a controlled manner. You shouldn't be hot routing every single play, or using 2, 3 or 4 hot routes in single plays multiple times a game.

Defensive Rules
•You may only move one player around pre-snap.
•Run Commit is banned.
•Mix up your playcalling. You should not be running the same drop zone defense the entire game. Again, play football not a video game..

4th Down Rules
•You may go for it on 4th down inside your opponents 45 yardline on 4th and inches only. This does not mean that you should go for in on 4th and inches five times in one game.
•You may go for it on 4th down in any situation inside of 5 minutes remaining in regulation while trailing by multiple scores (more than 8 points)
•You may go for it on 4th down in any situation inside of 2 minutes remaining in regulation when trailing the game, unless a field goal will tie the game and you are in clear field goal range (inside of 50 yards).
•You are now allowed to make one "coaches decision" per game on fourth down. This must be in a realistic situation only. For example, you are trailing by 6 points in the third quarter, it is 4th down and 2, with the ball on your opponent's 35 yardline with a 14 mph wind blowing at you. You may use your one coaches call on fourth down in this situation. You may then only go for it on fourth and inches per the original league rule for the remainder of the game.

Running Rules
•Left sticking is still prohibited in excessive changes of direction. Madden 17 has done a nice job of cleaning this up, however you still may not turn a dive or draw straight outside from the moment the football is handed off. Using the left stick to hit holes within a gap of your run and for subtle movement is allowed.

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 17, 2017

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Here's the example from madden 25 my league used to use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCJaB7TuGCI

Crazy's GT is CrazyD133. his groupme is dylanbmyers@gmail.com

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 17, 2017

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

John Brown posted:

You're not going to like this, but if I'm being completely honest, I don't think any of those examples were too bad.

However, I will say that there is an extreme form of zig-zagging that is far more worse and effective in NCAA. When the online h2h was active, guys would choose Oregon, split DeAnthony Thomas out wide, and run WR reverses while left-sticking their way to a TD. I'd certainly ban anything like that, but I think (if referring to the videos above) there's nothing unrealistic about what I saw. Guys in the football make cuts all the time and don't just juke their way down the field.

If this is a deal-breaker for you and your guys, what is a middle ground for all parties? Or, is there something else we could address to compensate for allowing non-extreme forms of left-sticking? I'm considering restricting position changes (for non-athletes) to their respective position families (i.e. banning moving safeties to LB unless you have a glaring roster hole to fill).

Also, understand that we've been playing very different styles for the last few years so it'll take some learning from everyone on both sides. There may be some bumps in the road during the first season until we all are clearly aligned on specific examples of these violations. All in all, I know through our history of playing together that neither one of us play with folks that use extreme forms of cheesiness.

EDIT: Crazy's been invited but it says he needs to accept via email or download the app.

The first play of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCJaB7TuGCI is the kind of poo poo I mean. There's just no excuse for that. That kind of stuff would be a deal breaker for me, absolutely. Beyond that I'm sure it'll be fine.

If I were you, I'd restrict non-athletes to their position families, with the exception being DEs and OLBs just because if someone runs a 3-4, they may go after pass rushing DEs to fill that need. Anything beyond that should prolly be a case-by-case basis (a former athlete who was initially moved to HB but then gets slid to WR might be good, but not a WR to TE or poo poo like that). Basically keep it reasonable so people don't put a drat WR at TE or something dumb.

I'd be all for longer quarters too, but I've been used to 11 minute quarters for years now lol. Dunno how others feel about that, but the games are shorter till you are either in a user game or a HC. But whatever everyone is happy with.

Are we going to use up-to-date rosters that some NCAA community folks have been making? That'd be awesome.

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 17, 2017

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

The first two plays are ridiculous and I wouldn't put up with them either. That last play in the video looks like the defense was caught in a man defense and the runner had the option to go inside or outside due to the OLB being blocked at the POA. It's a bad read by the runner for sure but the defense has to take responsibility to not let themselves be outflanked and leave his safety in a 1 on 1 situation with a runner.

Would it be ok to move safeties in the box for nickle/dime/dollar formations to play inside linebackers? This is something that's being used more and more in both College and the Pros with players like Deone Bucannon, Barry Church, Su'a Cravens, Miles Killebrew, Jabrill Peppers etc.

I'd be good with that. Hell even Madden 17 has a 4-2-5 dime in it with a SS in at LB. Maybe should be a case-by-case basis though, as the frequency of that as a whole isn't very high.

JB, check your PMs. Crazy didn't get anything from groupme or email yet. Sent you his name and e-mail again just to make sure I didn't fat finger it.

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 17, 2017

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
JB I picked up another non-goon user. Shoot an invite to dgmarschinke@comcast.net. Make him down in the OP as LBJ.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
If we have folks that are okay with doing the kind of running from the first play or two in that video, I won't be participating. That's not even in the realm of something a human being can actually do at relatively full speed. I can be pretty lenient about left sticking, but those are just flat-out bad. I've never really ever understood running like that to begin with. Jukes are so effective, but running like that you might as well just remove those buttons from your controller. Those examples are just blatantly using bad physics from an aging game to avoid tacklers, even when there's other mechanisms in place to achieve the same end result. Running like that isn't even fun, so I don't get the appeal. It's much more satisfying to juke defenders out of their jock straps than to ice skate around the field like we're playing techmo bowl. A lot of lobby players use it because defenders don't react much (or at all) to it, so it makes it easier to defeat. Plus, running like that just makes recruiting easier. Don't need juke attributes, just need your thumb stick. Just dumbs down the game on multiple levels.

In Madden 17 it's much less noticeable due to better animations. Currently my league basically says "left stick for small adjustments, jukes for large ones". As a basic premise, that's a pretty reasonable approach I would think.

I like the rest of the rules though. They look solid.

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 17, 2017

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

John Brown posted:

Focusing on this particular part, and it feels like it closely aligns with what I'm thinking and how we typically play.

Also, understand we primarily use left-sticking because the blocking can spazz at times. You mentioned the game has old mechanics, and that applies to both defense and offense. If my blocker unreasonably misses his assignment (which happens somewhat regularly) then I'm going to try to spin/juke my way out of it, or left-stick cut out of sheer panic/reaction and left whatever happens happen. Most times left-sticking gets you planted in those situations and is actually an advantage for the defending user.

Here's my offer to recap: Ban left-sticking on kickoffs and allow light forms of it. When you feel a violation of the latter happens, and if after reviewing the video evidence of it my subjective interpretation differs, then unfortunately you could bow out if preferred.

I really think that other than kickoffs, all other instances of it will take interpretation, and that it sometimes compensates for comically blown blocking assignments.

If you're on board with this then I can put it in front of the rest and see how they react?

I'm good with that.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I am dusting off all my old saved links for NCAA 14. Cannot wait to bring the Air Raid and 3-3-5 Stack back. :black101:

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
The last thing I remember from this was when I switched to the 5 wide air raid after a few of us had trouble beating one user in particular. I remember this because after I made that switch (I was Texas at the time) I broke my foot off in his rear end :black101:

This is going to be great.

John Brown posted:

Sweet. Real talk though, consider this:
- First and foremost it's all subjective
- Madden may have exaggerated/enhanced its effectiveness and forced you guys to have an extra awareness of its presence (and not necessarily its potency) in NCAA.
- Most times I've seen it used on returns, running downfield while setting up WRs/TEs (which I think is very real), and on broken run plays.
- It's going to take time to adjust to, and most importantly
- I've got to get the guys bought in on this agreement.

Seriously, even if they decline I urge you to give it a shot because I don't think it's as universally effective as it is in Madden. Most of those guys in those videos would've gotten lit up by the CPU and even fumbled in NCAA. The defensive pursuit is crazy in this game when you don't use jukes, spins, or stutter steps.

That's fine. We'll see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
That's fine we can give it a shot. As soon as I see some cheddar running that is a regular occurrence though I'll probably be out. Just a fair warning in advance.

If you or anyone else wants to see what kind of game play I mean, I have a madden game tonight. It'll be streamed on twitch prolly around 5-6pm EST.

EDIT: Live now; games usually take an hour and 20 minutes. https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 17, 2017

• Locked thread