Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lasher posted:

Retro kills!

No idea how that would work, mind.

Jason hits LaChappa. LaChappa yells "Erk!" then shrinks and jumps offscreen. Sad music plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Coolguye posted:

e: also, movie group i'm a part of wants to watch one F13 movie to celebrate the actual friday the 13th coming up. most people only know the movies by reputation and they've left it to me as the local fan to decide which one we should watch. i'm thinking part 8 because ship, manhattan, julius, and kane hodder. what do you guys think?

Depending on your friends' tastes, go with part 6 for humor/horror, or part 3 for some gruesome kills.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

VolticSurge posted:

Dammit, now I want a Friday-RE crossover. Mostly because a clash between Chris "Boulder-Puncher" Redfield and Jason would be the stuff of legend.

The ultimate zombie hunter vs. the ultimate zombie?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

...oh, man, I don't do the vicarious pain-wince too often, but that did it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Part 3 was the first one I ever saw, so I'll always have a strong memory of that harpoon-to-the-face kill.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I don't think the movie itself offers any more of an explanation than that Roy's a copycat killer, which is probably enough to be getting on with.

Wikipedia says that the novelization of the sixth movie is the source of the Jason influence argument, but of course, canon is a hazy thing in this franchise.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I really doubt the game's engine is set up to handle it, but I find it weirdly easy to imagine Chad in a hot dog costume.

What I'd really want out of a Halloween costume in this game is for all the counselors to have an outfit based off of a slasher from another franchise, especially if they went out of their way for some really obscure ones, like Mary Lou Mahoney.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

precision posted:

Any entertaining/informative streams/LPs of this game out there? It seems like it would be super fun to watch, but I can't find any particularly good ones.

The best F13 LPs are the ones that have a gimmick, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLeGmTt_BTs

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Danaru posted:

Part 5 was the best Friday the 13th

A take so hot it's turned blue.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Danaru posted:

What's the general opinion on Part 8 the movie? I've heard that Jason only Takes Manhattan for like 12 minutes near the end

Part 8 was notoriously screwed by the studio. I'd go so far as to say that the story about how the movie was made is a better, more interesting story than the movie.

IIRC, it got its budget cut by half shortly after production began, so an entire movie that was meant to take place in New York ended up in a badly-disguised Vancouver for 12 minutes of run time.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Now that's just classic Shelly.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I hope this means you have to do something else to kill part 5 Jason, and that Pamela isn't whispering to him.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Huh. Apparently the actress who played Melissa in part 7 might not actually be dead?

http://fridaythe13thfilms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80&p=354#p354

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 13, 2018

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I feel like there has to be a better name for the police-response perk than Hypochondriac.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

If you'd told me last year that when they got around to including a canon-appropriate nude scene for any character in this game, it would be AJ, I wouldn't have believed you.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I for one am looking forward to Gun Media's next and legally distinctive project, Summer Camp.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

weekly font posted:

If every update in this game genuinely got 3 weeks of QA just loving lmao

This is the sort of game where QA is a laborious process and you're guaranteed to not catch everything, since it's entirely emergent and there are a lot of context-sensitive commands. It's not like a single-player game where a lot of the environment is binary and you've planned most of the encounters; it's a giant kitten-pile of potential conflicts and the only way forward is to fix on fail.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

weekly font posted:

If they played the game literally once they would have caught the spray bug.

You can generally assume that there's somebody at a software development studio who has played their own game.

What's more likely is that they managed to break something right before sending out the release candidate, they knew about it and it got lost in the shuffle, something even worse got all the attention (i.e. hard crashes), or there was some other form of high weirdness. It's not like developers want a buggy game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Last Year could use a tuning pass. It's apparently designed right now with the intention that the survivors will move like they're a military fire team, and well, ha, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Spacebump posted:

edit: I'm shocked no bigger budget studios have tried to rip off the gameplay/ideas from this game.

If they were going to try, we're at least a year out from hearing about it.

Some of the ideas from this will definitely turn up in later spins on asymmetric multiplayer. There's a bit of Last Year: The Nightmare that feels like a direct reaction, for example.

• Locked thread