Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

FunkMonkey posted:

Anyway, even if the shift thing is a little on the nose, what would you recommend as a potential replacement that would not be as blatant while still giving that advantage? He obviously needs something to close the gap with speedier characters.

Exactly what people said, do it Left 4 Dead style.

Have it work like this: Say a counselor is running away, but they're out in the open so they have line of sight all around them in third-person (or looking over shoulder, etc.). Jason can't shift into anywhere they have line of sight. So, you don't make it a weird "warped vision and fly around" thing, and you don't visibly teleport. Make it like you just disappear entirely (but maybe have a minimum distance where you can initialize it), and move at just over counselor speed, and you remain invisible for a limited time. In order to head a counselor off you actually have to find a hiding spot ahead of where they're running, and then time it so you can come out and attack them. You could still miss, but it gives you a fighting chance and it'd also be more startling and less immersion breaking.

Another added benefit of that method is it doesn't make Jason OP. Because right now he can shift straight into a direct melee attack and that's pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I hope I live to Friday. What a terrible week to die IRL.

Just don't go poking any dead disfigured serial killers in the chest with a metal pole during a thunderstorm and you'll be alright.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Carebearz posted:

there are literally a shitload of people streaming it on Twitch and they're all good to watch

Found some Swedish (?) metalhead who sounds like Peter Serafinowicz: https://www.twitch.tv/swordmouse

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Should've figured that the Super Secret Trick to Killing Jason would be figured out by Twitch streamers and YouTube gamers in a mad rush to be the first to blab it to the world for hits.

So there it is, all laid out there... and the game isn't even out yet.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

Trying to do the Jason kill is a prisoner's dilemma type problem, if you ask me.

It's an extremely high-risk move that is 100% guaranteed to draw Jason's attention to you, and you need to be coordinated with the counselor who becomes Tommy. In a pub game, that's going to be really, really difficult because if Jason's already killed a few counselors, you're not sure if the talkative one you need to pull it off is going to respawn as Tommy. Plus any competent Jason at that point is just going to double-down on murdering Tommy ASAP because if he bites it, the attempt is over no matter what.

Meanwhile, if you play to just survive you can take advantage of Jason's primary weakness - he can't be everywhere at once. If you're going for any other escape option at the same time as other counselors, Jason will have a harder time pinning you all down before at least one of you (hopefully you) succeeds.

To put it simply - you have a much better chance of surviving by playing to survive instead of trying to kill Jason.

Play as if you're not going to kill Jason and them get him in a pincer maneuver once you get all the elements in place. Of course that'll be pretty damned hard considering Mrs Vorhees is a blabbermouth.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I hope the developers are smart enough not to listen to the vocal moron minority.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

InsidiousMuppet posted:

Just had two amusing back to back games. First one, I got to try out Part 2 Jason, only to glitch through the bottom of the floor and "die" after killing one person. Stayed with that group for the next match. Got murdered as Chad, but came back as Tommy in time to jump in the car. This is where it gets interesting: person driving backed the entire way across the map because Jason can't stop the car from behind. It was kinda funny to watch us escape while Jason kept spawning in front of us as we backed away from him to our freedom.

That really needs to be the next thing they fix, in that instance there's hardly poo poo that Jason can do except hope that he can Shift or Morph right next to the driver's side and hit E quick enough to yank the driver out.

At least as far as I know, I only played for like an hour or two for the first time last night. But I came across a reverse driver, and tried to Morph not behind but next to the car off the road so they'd hopefully not notice me as I tried to get to the driver. It never worked but I got a brief prompt to yank the driver out at one point.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

My favorite experience in my two times as Jason was getting stuck behind a rail near an exit, trying to Shift out of it to stop a counselor and eventually getting for-real stuck in some rocks right by the bridge.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

(also did anyone manage to get anything useful from their CP bonus?)

I got a starting baseball bat with melee boost (I think?).

Jason better get ready to say hello to The Bear Chad.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I was fine yesterday evening, today I'm getting massive overheating while in-game just on the main menu. I haven't even jumped into a game and it sounds like a loving tea kettle in my computer tower.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I feel like Jasons are getting better a lot faster than the counselors are now. It might be the hours that I am playing but lately, everyone is getting wiped almost every round.

Don't know about those other players but on my third time playing as Jason I had a match where I wiped out every single player, except for that one bastard who always loving quits. Not sure how I've played as Jason in like 3 out of the 5 matches I've played so far, I'm guessing it's the fact that I'm getting matchmaking against other newbies and they haven't figured out how to set their preferences yet.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Phyresis posted:

lmao i don't think so jason, you'll never get me inside harry potter's cupboard under the stairs

His mask looks like a little smiley-faced clown man.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Icedude posted:

Also Jason voice gimmicks are fun and good. Went 4/8 last night I don't care because I got everyone in the full 4-seater laughing their asses off at being chased by a NES Jason who only spoke in Sinistar voice clips

I thought it'd be funny to play as NES Jason using NES Jason's "rules" i.e. you can only attack by moving back and forward and striking once, no Shift ability, and spend a lot of time hiding out in the buildings with the Stalk ability. And of course strafing a lot when you're in a building. Maybe keep this on loop on the mic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfqPnkwrYak

Don't know if kids these days would really get it. They probably think of NES Jason as "Vaporwave Jason" or something.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

"You see, time was, when somebody wanted to make a game based on a movie they didn't 'try' to make it 'good', they just hired a team of underpaid and untalented interns at a toy company to throw a bunch of poo poo into a blender. Nobody cared about the franchise, and in the end what we got was a purple Jason with a sky blue hockey mask."

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I had two great moments with two different Jasons tonight. In one, a nasally Nerd Jason had me as the last person on the map with the only progress made was the cop escape. Everybody else died in far away corners of the map or ragequit, two-seater car was the only car with gas even in it. So he eventually finds me, and then starts nerdily commanding me to go to the tents to show off the sleeping bag kill. Except I don't quite follow the rules and go into the "wrong" tent, which glitches the game out on his end and I disappear for him... or get stuck in the tent or something. To me it just looked like I was crouched in front of the tent entrance. He does get a weapon kill and I see the animation, he just doesn't see me getting killed.

The second one was a Jason who tried to cover the cop exit with all of his traps in a row. I have a bat, but I swing and miss on my way to the exit. So he grabs me thinking he's got me, but I have a knife and stun him. I just run straight through the gap in his traps to the escape.

And yes it was my first and only escape so far

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

It's necessary. Have you experienced my Jason?

Also hopefully people could get some tips on playing Jason, maybe?

I mean, different strokes and all that but I think having a "gameplan" as Jason is lame and never doing a cinematic kill is really loving lame. I think you should quick-kill or melee counselors like Tommy Jarvis or any of the high composure Final Girls, but everybody else is fair game for fancy kills unless you're surrounded by a good coordinated counselor team trying to stun you.

If you're going to pick on the poor idiots wandering away from the flock at least have the decency to make it entertaining.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Having just watched parts 2 and 3 for the first time, my first thought was "why the gently caress is there no wheelchair guy in the game???" I'm sure the answer is limited resources but...

If there was a wheelchair guy I'd have to roll around yelling "Saaaallyyyy!"

Wrong franchise but w/e

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

They should let Wheelchair Guy be pushed around by other counselors, and he can use weapons while moving as long as someone else is pushing him.

In other words, shotgun drive-bys.

Man, gently caress Freddy vs. Jason, I want to see Jason take on...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I don't know if I got lucky or a good Jason was just loving with me last night, but I managed to Vanessa my way out of a cabin with a tank of gas straight to the boat while he was busy with two other guys in the cabin. The guys in the cabin were hoarding some gas cans, I told them with Jason nearby that I had the propeller on and needed gas, and yet despite my best efforts to apparently be as obvious as possible I managed to slip out to the boat. I hosed up the gas like three times, but still got it going and managed to navigate the rocks of Southern Packanack. Just as I was about ten feet from the exit Jason finally shows up, probably getting cocky thinking he can nab me at the last minute. But I have an uncommon (rare?) boat speed perk and I manage to just miss getting nabbed right at the end.

It made me feel good after my previous game with the same group where I literally killed nobody as Jason. Even the last terrified low-stamina guy, he just ran right past me to the loving cops. :doh:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Pam in the first movie was just the creepiest thing ever. Also took watching it again to make me realize that Mary from Clock Tower was basically her.

That game was great, but despite Mary's resemblance to Pamela Vorhees the game was actually based heavily on the movie Phenomena/Creepers. Jennifer is based on and named after Jennifer Connelly from the movie, Mary is based on the mother from the movie and even the plot and setting is similar.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

...but seriously though, track down Phenomena and watch it it's great. It has Donald Pleasance and his helper chimp, it has Jennifer Connelly with psychic bug powers because why the gently caress not?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Grey Fox posted:

Solo boat escape is a satisfying dick move. The other night, I crept up on a crowd of three counselors fighting Jason and trying to put gas in the car. When one of them dropped the gas, I grabbed it and ran off to the boat, alone.

I was thoughtful enough to thank them over radio for the gas as the boat took me away, but I didn't expect to respawn as Tommy.

Chad put an axe in my head as I was calling the cops and he blamed the boat incident.

Solo boat's no more a dick move than solo two-seater car, in fact I'd say it's less because the boat is a death trap and only has one possible exit. Going solo in a boat just means you might've spared some other counselor's life if Jason notices the boat leaving.

e: After finally getting around to watching the latest episode of the new Twin Peaks last night, I now want to do this bit as Jason...

:siren: MAJOR WEIRD poo poo SPOILERS FOR PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT TWIN PEAKS SPOILERS :siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir8s6IGq2Hs

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

ComposerGuy posted:

EDIT: Also, as far as "ripoff" goes...F13 was in development before DbD, but released after, for what its worth.

Even before this game's release, I pegged Dead by Daylight for a quickie game that was developed solely because there was a Friday the 13th game coming out. The half-hour I played it over a free weekend it just felt really cheap and barebones, like a shovelware PS2-era game with better graphics and multiplayer. Call me cynical, but I really believe that they tried to get it out the door and into Early Access ASAP to beat Friday the 13th to market.

I really don't like Dead by Daylight and don't get why people ever liked it

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Doctor_Acula posted:

I'd have to look at the timelines, but there were a lot of asymmetrical horror games all spooling up around the same time. I concur, DBD is just kind of boring. Damned was a good one, but suffered the same problem. All you could do was look for keys (though I haven't played it in years to see if it's changed at all).

Yeah I liked Damned quite a bit, and it's been out since before Friday the 13th was even in Kickstarter. But it got really old really fast and searching for tiny little objects in rooms that all looked identical was annoying and kinda gave me a headache. I think it was among the first though to really do asymmetric multiplayer horror that I know of.

It's weird though that my friends who seemed to love Damned and Dead by Daylight are hesitant to get Friday the 13th, which I think we can agree is by far the best game of its type to date.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

The one thing that Friday the 13th actually needs is a Final Girl mode where if you're the last survivor you get a lot stronger and more challenging.

Maybe give it stipulations where you have to be a female counselor and/or have max composure. Also it doesn't trigger until Jason goes Rage Mode and gives you no option to hide. Maybe kick it off with the final counselor yelling to the sky "WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR, HUH? I'M RIGHT HERE!".

Then maybe you get super-fast grip escape, higher damage resistance, unlimited stamina and fear goes up a lot slower. You'd still be mostly hosed but at least you'd have a better shot than just picking a random cabin and hoping Jason doesn't manage to Morph there before the round ends.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I know this game is choc-a-bloc with bugs, but has anybody else had trouble setting a trap right in front of a door? Is that just a thing that's always been fucky and I didn't know because I never set traps as a counselor? Whenever I try to set a trap inside a cabin in front of the door I always drop it at chest height and then can't set it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

They don't seem worth it at all unless you group them for a last stand.

That gave me the great idea of setting a radius of traps around yourself with your back to a window and just waiting for Jason to come, and I guess hope that he doesn't have knives... or doesn't just break down the door and go into the cabin.

On second thought maybe that idea wasn't so great.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm really liking Part 6 Jason, those radar ears come in really handy and the lack of the light jog isn't an actual setback since you should never be trying to run counselors down on foot anyways until the end game where everybody's terrified or injured or both.

Just strut around, toss those knives and pop your long Shift on to grab a counselor when they're limping. Radios are a pain in the rear end but that's the price you pay for Super Hearing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

I try to make my games as Jason fun and fair, so if I pop on you in the first few minutes, I'll probably let you go. But for real if I let you go once and I catch you again Imma kill you.

Hell, same. Today I ran across a Tommy Jarvis of somebody I just killed a few minutes before. He asked me to let him live because I just killed him, I say "okay, but I'm keeping my eye on you!".

The next time I ran across him I killed him... wasn't even really intentional but he literally climbed out of a window into my grab as I tried to nab the person who went out before him.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I was thinking about what Free DLC, emphasis on free, I'd want to see for this game and I settled on Sleepaway Camp. Like have the camp from Sleepaway Camp as a new map, and have an optional skin that replaces Tommy Jarvis with grown-up Angela. Maybe they could even get Pamela Springsteen to lend her voice and likeness to it.

I don't know, people might be too tempted to take the roleplaying too far and have Angela going around killing all the other counselors. It'd be like Chad but worse.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I guess I should get around to watching Sleepaway Camp 3, but I heard it's even worse than Sleepaway Camp 2. The only thing I liked about SC2 was Pamela Springsteen, her psychotic enthusiasm was infectious. The movie itself was kinda cringeworthy, and I don't know if I could sit through another one of those.

But then yesterday I watched Don't Go in the Woods, which could quite possibly be one of the worst loving movies I've ever seen in my entire life. I'd happily welcome Sleepaway Camp 3 after sitting through that garbage.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

a cock shaped fruit posted:

You can hear it, and it increases fear on people inside the cabin.

Tell me the fear increase is a small one time thing, and that once word gets out about this we won't have people slam-spamming E on the doors to make people terrified in seconds.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

...! posted:

Buy the blu-rays, y'all. They look great.

I'm about to the point where I should probably bind my hands together to keep me from buying the trilogy on blu-ray because I keep almost doing it and I don't need more blu-rays I'll watch once and forget about.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I think a neat mechanic would be the option for Jason to hang bodies of counselors he's killed in different locations. It happens in the movies all the time but in the game they're just laying where they're killed, and half the time that means they're laying in the middle of the woods where nobody will find them and get their fear up.

I guess something useful for the counselors would also be for items dropped by dead counselors to shine a little bit so you can see where they're at.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

White Genocide posted:

is this game still fun if i play alone with randos. it looks like neat hide n seek

It's probably MORE fun with randos than it would be with friends, because of the constant change of people and the chemistry (or lack thereof) of the various groups you're tossed into. None of my friends are brave or foolhardy enough to dive into a $40 game, I guess due to lack of interest or the price or thinking "it's a 'knock-off' of Dead by Daylight" or whatever.

It's like they don't believe me when I tell them how awesome it is. Like I thought it just looked "okay" from watching streams but it wasn't until I played it that it really clicked. And watching streams is even better because now I get it.

e: But as a fair warning, you will occasionally be a Jason against an Organized Team of Friends who all pick counselor preference and you WILL get your rear end handed to you. Sometimes you'll run into cocky YouTube Superstars who are surly and uncooperative and fishing for Highlight Reel Moments, who will not help you when you need it and will just be out for themselves and will rage quit if Jason grabs them. But I'd say 99% of the people you play with will be cool and chill.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 4, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Ran into my first That Guy, a Jason who knew exactly where everybody was and could teleport straight to them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

OxMan posted:

I finally got to play a game as the final unlocked lvl 31 Jason (9?) yesterday and that was how i felt. Cant hear poo poo but that's irrelevant when activating sense lets you see half a map, and then you have +shift and +stalk on TOP of that.

That's cool and all but this was Part 3 (8 bit) Jason and his name had the word "Trolling" in it, and he was mic-spamming some bagpipe song.

There was a Tommy Jarvis just standing by a creek and Jason teleported straight to him to kill him. Then shortly after, clear across the map in a cabin the final AJ was killed with Jason Shifting straight into her.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

If you have a counselor not trying to get the gently caress away from you and they don't have a weapon, they're trying to bait you into grabbing them because they have a handy collection of pocket knives.

Hack them down to limping and then go look for their friends. :murder:

Don't even give them the chance to heal, if any counselor is alone and acting like King poo poo Walking Tall trying to take you on toe-to-toe you just cut them down. Maybe they're hoping for a weapon stun, but more than likely they have a pocket knife.

Also helpful advice to newbies, if Jason sees you you're dead. It's pretty much just inevitable, the only way to save yourself is to call his attention to other people and hope he decides to latch onto them instead. If you're hiding under a bed and he doesn't get you, it's only because he was distracted by somebody else nearby. The hiding did nothing except buy you a little more time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

They really need to punish this phenomena.

I propose they make a separate map where they banish players who do this repeatedly, like X number of times in X minutes. It's a map where not only do they get to be Jason, they all get to be Jason.

And that's it, literally everybody in the server is Jason and they can just stomp around swinging their big dick-weapons around and growl over the mic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Burkion posted:

I'll loving fly, just you watch me

Though I would adore a crazy old man character who can't fight back, instead he just runs around and you can press the mouse button to yell out different cries of doom. DOOM

Give him Jason's Morph ability and we're gold. You could have him just pop out from behind doors or step out from behind trees.

I told ya this place's got a death curse on it! But you wouldn't listen! You're doomed, you're all doomed!

...doomed!

• Locked thread