Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I'm using it more as a way to get more comfortable with the maps as Jason.

And also experimenting to see just what the bots will do in various situations for funsies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

SilverSupernova posted:

Last night introduces us to who is hands down the greatest and most amusing pubby player of all time. Dude had an extremely thick accent and his English seemed to be limited to "COME ON BABYYYYYY!" and "OH gently caress YOU!" Burk (who was Jason at the time) let him live because of how entertaining he was. Sadly next match showed that he was an incredibly boring Jason.

We half joked about adding him to the discord he was so good.

AI BOT TRIP REPORT:

After the goon rounds last night I decided to experiment with the bots. I ran 4 games on 4 different maps and left the bots to their own devices with no interference from me to see what they would do.

Hard AI on all but the last match.

Game One:

Packanack (full)

This game ended up being something of an outlier. The bots didn't manage anything until 11:35 into the match when I heard gas being put in a car. But from then up until the two minute warning, nothing else. I finally went to check up on them and they had all congregated in a single cabin up north.

Then I saw the problem: Chad had the battery and was running around like a madman. Immersion achieved.

Game Two:

Packanack (small)

Figuring a smaller map might give them a better chance to repair a vehicle, my faith was rewarded when 5:23 into the match I heard a car roar to life...and then go nowhere on my map.

I would later discover a Tiffany still in the car, endlessly backing into a rock. Turns out that when the cars spawn on dirt paths there isn't enough room for the AI to successfully maneuver.

At 9:15 someone called the cops. Progress!

Game Three:

Higgens Haven (full)

By far the most successful bot round. AJ started a car at 3:12 and successfully drove it to near the exit. I stopped her to see how the bots would react to an abandoned car. Two minutes later an Adam and a Mitch got in and escaped.

Cops called at 5:35. Second car had gas in it by 7:00.

Game Four:

Crystal Lake (full)

At the 1:37 mark I heard gas going into a car. A record! In fact both cars were fully repaired by the 8 minute mark, but it seems they never found the keys because neither car was started.

Cops called at 13:20

Final Game:

Jarvis House

I made a discovery here: boats don't spawn in AI matches. Jarvis house spawned with one car and nothing else. Nothing got done.

Stray observations:

Standing near the cop exit results in bots turning and running from you until they reach a minimum safe distance, so they'll never escape if you just stand there (a Fox did try to edge around me but ran back when she got too close).

AI will make a token effort to swerve around you in cars, but they drive too slow for that to be effective.

The AI seems to prioritize calling the cops when possible. Small sample size so I need to keep experimenting. Could be because only one item is required vs cars needing 3.

You can get the bots to team kill if you set it up right.

AI *loves* to hide, and when they don't do it in plain view of you, they aren't bad at it. They never really make noises unless their fear is already maxed while hiding.

AI knows how to use firecrackers more effectively than any player I've seen. They seem to have some amount of control over where they toss them.

I have yet to see a bot use a bear trap.

Bots loot cabins fairly effectively. I've had a Tiffany with *3* pocket knives and they will use med spray when possible.

Bots won't attempt a kill, but the high strength ones *will* fight you unless they have max fear. And even then, Bugsy might keep fighting.

Bot matches don't duplicate counselors.

Tommy can hide like a champ.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I watched a bot on Higgins find gas on the west side of the map and then swim across the stream towards a car at the Higgins lodge so I'm thinking the choice to swim has to do with effIciency of route to a current objective.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Tommy not showing if the power was out never made any sense. If the radio call has been made, it isn't like that transmission wasn't received.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Bot Bugsy tryin' to crouch-walk to evade my sense. lol.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Ok, the bots just impressed me.

Crystal Lake Small. I grab the knives, morph to the phone house, put down 2 traps, and quickly kill Chad, who was hanging around there. Immediately after, Kenny starts a car. Like, this was maybe 2 minutes in at most, likely less. Didn't mess up any of the repair games, starts the car and drives.

I stopped him, of course, but still.

Meanwhile, they did a good job of making me ping-pong between the now-a-threat car and the phone house. Car got restarted twice and I morphed to the phone house just in time to stop a call to the cops once. It's the most coordinated I've seen the AI. Shot me a few times too. They seem to find all the guns quickly

I still 8/8'd, but I was impressed.

I think the small maps are better for the AI. Since all the objectives are closer together, it seems to have an easier time directing counselor movement to get poo poo done.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Lasher posted:

Yeah, really enjoying the bots. Shame the badge unlocks don't count though. Tried playing some online games and playing with just 4 other people was just heartbreaking. I hope it's just a small, one off thing. I hope the community is still going strong on steam.

Are you on PC or console?

I'm not having much trouble getting lobbies on steam.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So yeah, the AI definitely handles small maps infinitely better than the large ones. With at least some consistency, the AI gets more than one objective accomplished within a reasonable time (5 minutes or less) if I'm not interfering. Even when I do, I've found that they will manage to get a car started while I'm fusing with the phone box, and they do a better job of making me bounce between objectives.

They're still dumb as rocks and have weird pathing issues crop up, especially when running from you, but on the large maps they're basically hopeless, while on the small maps they're at least novice-pubbie-level.

Jarvis House map is the worst for them. It's so spread out and the terrain varies more than any other map. They get caught on things easily (especially in the two big houses), and since boats don't spawn in AI matches, there's only ever the one car and a phone, making the match all the easier on you.

Useful for really learning the ins and outs of the Jarvis House though.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Seven is the worst by a huge margin. Just play part 8 if you want a similar style but actually good.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Part 7 would be viable if any of the maps had around 50 percent deep water. Like a map with a lot of islands with maybe one centralized landmass.

That would make his insane water speed useful for more that just stopping the boat. It could become a legit traveling option to save on shift or morph.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

TheBizzness posted:

Just played a match where I got to come back as Tommy.... even though I was still alive?

If you escape you still have a chance to come back as Tommy. The game *favors* players that were killed, but will pick an escapee if either no one has died by the time the game makes the choice or if you just happen to hit the lottery on the random roll.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I've played at least 5 bot matches on every map at this point and I'm ready to make the call that if you want even a token resistance from the AI, you play on Crystal Lake or Crystal Lake Small.

The AI almost seems like it was tested specifically to work on Crystal Lake, and the small version even more so.

Consistently on CLsmall the bots get a car going inside of 2-3 minutes. In fact, half the times I've played that map they've gotten a car started while I was still at the phone house on my initial patrol. They then do a generally OK job of making me bounce between the cars and the phone to keep them from getting the police call off...and even then they managed to call the cops in one of my rounds.

I think it may have to do with a couple of factors. Crystal Lake is relatively flat in terms of terrain, unlike Packanack and Jarvis House. The only really hilly area is around the archery range and the boathouse, and since the boat doesn't spawn in bot matches, they never have a reason to be over there. Crystal Lake also has no water running through the middle of it, unlike Higgins. Water seems to really gently caress with the AI pathing. So those two factors combined, plus the relatively spread-out nature of the cabin spawns on CL means the AI is better able to direct counselor movement towards objectives. In fact it isn't uncommon for me to hear both cars being repaired at the same time relatively early in the match (pre-stalk, and sometimes even pre-shift). The roads, too, have fewer twists and other possible obstacles, making it easier for the AI to drive (the bots still drive like a Sunday church lady in terms of speed, but at least on CL they manage to get a chance to drive at all).

Also worth noting, the hard AI rarely messes up the repair minigame. If it's anyone from Kenny or better in terms of repair, they *never* mess it up. Anyone lower will sometimes mess up once, but that's it. The AI also knows where all the possible spawn points are for guns and repair items, and usually canvasing for shotguns is high on the priority list.

So basically if you're looking for at least a token attempt at resistance, play on Crystal Lake or Crystal Lake Small (small is a bit more of a "challenge"). The bots still aren't what I'd call competent, but they have a better grasp of what to do.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

King Vidiot posted:

Also I have never seen a bot either stop for another bot to get into a car, nor have I seen them start a car and then wait for other bots.

I've seen it. Again, on Crystal Lake Small. Tommy and Mitch rolled up on an abandoned two-seater together, both got in and started driving.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
That match was the best. The best part is when the Jason went from being the saltiest fucker on earth to trying to bargain with us to leave our hiding spots, sounding almost defeated.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Stealth is about to be meta, calling it.

My time has arrived.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The new map is really good. I think it's their best work, actually.

It's about the size of the Jarvis House map but much more dense. There's 19 cabins in total, 3 of which are unique. The main lodge is really nicely detailed and has 6, SIX, exits. Barn is nice and spacious with a hilarious murder room in the middle of it. The random-rear end massive orange orchard is fun to run around in.

Map spawns with a boat every time, and there are 3 boat exits, which is interesting. Car can be either 4 seater or 2 seater, and there are also 3 exits for them. Police can spawn in 3 places.

The map is really big and the water placement is such that water-speed Jasons can have a field day.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I mean, I guess if you're a try-hard that can't handle occasionally having wacky things happen then yeah, don't play with goons.

We have a blast, though.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I'm a known tryhard

Yes but you're our tryhard.

quote:

The boat is usually suicide in general, except in the meta sense that Jason is probably aware it's suicide and might not be checking on it on the assumption no one is dumb enough to go boating and risk insta-death from Jaws. This is a thing.

The boat is viable depending on a few circumstances. If there's enough space to maneuver and you're up against a non-water speed Jason, you can often successfully kite him. This works best against Part 2 and Savini, who have just absolutely poo poo speed in the water (they're slower than the boat).

Distance to the exit matters a lot as well, especially if you can time it so that Jason has popped his Morph right before you take off. I've managed this once or twice.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

cliffdiver posted:

Also starting the car, taunting the Jason as I ram the fence 25 feet in front of the exit, somehow restarting it before he catches me and taunting him a second time on my way out.

I still have no idea how you managed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

So Icey Seifuku posted:

She's channeling composerguy.

I'm so proud they got AJ right.

• Locked thread