Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmuQlmAIq5s

got me that sweet, sweet backer jason skin. wisps of hellfire and satan's pitchfork, good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Generally the strength/weakness stuff on abilities is the length of their cooldown.

Not always though.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Having the singleplayer be Jason-only makes sense- it gives you a mode where you can just go play as Jason whenever you want to instead of hoping you get lucky in the multiplayer. It solves some player-desire issues that way and probably reduces a lot of potential Jason-selection-randomness complaints.

As someone who played a good chunk of the Beta, though? Playing as a camp counselor is still a lot of fun. Very tense in a way other multiplayer horror games don't really nail. It feels like you're being hunted, you've got to make a lot of interesting decisions about what you're doing and where you're going and if you want to try and help the other players or hinder them, switching between the two options at any given moment based on what's going on. Cars to escape in only have so many seats available, the police barrier exit leaves you vulnerable to Jason attacks but he can only go after one of you at a time, etc.

I think people who assume they'll just hate the game unless they're Jason 24/7 will not feel that way after a few games as the counselors. They're not going to give you a power fantasy like Jason can deliver but it's a real good horror game experience.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Drunken Baker posted:

When can i pre-order for the X-Box and do I get the Savini skin?

I REALLY hope we get a Jason X skin at some point. Not even Uber-Jason, just the pig-mask Jason. I love that mask.

I don't know if you can get the backer skins anymore, but they were taking preorders for all the versions and those bonus skins through the game's official website

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

There is supposedly a way to win via Jason kill, people think it might have something to do with his mother. Nobody's figured it out yet.

It's probably very difficult and complex to do.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The only info I remember about the island is that flares did nothing, but hitting the corpse momma with melee weapons or shooting it with the shotgun caused blood to spurt out like hitting a player would. No other static item in the game did that.

I don't know if things ever progressed past figuring that out.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

BeigeJacket posted:

Sweet, in that case will definitely get this.

To those of you who played the beta (did anyone in this thread?), how insufferable is it with pubbies?

Varies. But having dumb people to throw at Jason as a distraction makes pubbies useful even when they suck.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

ki ki ki

ma ma ma

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

No you see, Reddit are children because they're upset about streamers playing games early, but I am a mature adult who is upset about streamers getting games early, it's totally different, because, something about ego

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

dogstile posted:

Those aren't the same people, dude

It's a funny conversation dude

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I only watched a few streams last night but every match seemed to be on the same map from the beta. Is that an early access restriction thing? Or is there something limiting you to just the one map until you level up a bit?

It seemed too consistent for me to chalk up to just map RNG but maybe I just missed the streams that weren't all that map.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I guess I just was unlucky! Thanks y'all.

Any good YouTube stuff showing off the new map layouts? I feel pretty familiar with the beta one from playing that so much over the holidays, but I don't want to go in blind with the new ones.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So how do you kill Jason? What's the convoluted process for those of us at work who can't just YouTube it?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I wish killing Jason was more convoluted

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Don't forget that Jason is immediately alerted when someone goes for his mom's shirt on the island, so you can't coordinate this in secret or anything. He's going to know what you're doing

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Any ETA on the Savini Jason and counselor outfit DLC stuff actually working? I'm hoping they'll be good to go by the time I get home tonight but I'm not optimistic

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I need my Savini Jason, I've been jason twice already and i didnt get to show off my cool special thing that makes me better than everyone else, its upsetting

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Had probably the smoothest getaway I've seen anyone manage so far. Spawned with a friend in the same general area as one another, immediately found the car battery and the phone box fuse in the same building. And he finds the car keys. So we head over to work on the car- and Jason pops up on the way there. And suddenly just leaves. I guess he didn't care about us? I don't know what his deal was.

So I fix the car battery, then find the gasoline right away in the building next to the car. Throw that in, friend with the keys starts it up, and we just cruise away. Jason teleports near us, but not well- he just appears on the side of the road, and can't do anything but watch us drive past him. We escape and it hasn't even been 5 minutes into the match yet. Huge XP.

And then I realize... I still had the phone fuse on me. And I left. The rest of the players in that match had no way to escape- we took the car, and stole the part they needed to be able to call the cops. Whoops, hope you can survive until the end I guess. (spoiler: they didnt)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This game is not good enough to justify the amount of fun I'm having playing it. like as a game its pretty solid, not really amazing, but good enough at what it does to be the right framework for a bunch of wacky horror movie shenanigans

The people playing it raise it above itself as an experience. even the people who are bad at it. even the people who troll other players, or rage out, or just get mega salty. they all make the game better

there's something special in how they designed this game and I don't know if it will keep things going long-term, but right now? this game is a ton of fun

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Only players who die should return at Tommy, not players who escape

Don't make be go back there. Don't Make me go through that hell again

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

How do you know which Jason trap got set off? I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Even as someone who backed the Kickstarter I knew the ride wouldn't last more than a month tops, that's how these games go.

But if they can keep throwing updates at us with new stuff every once in a while, that will spike the population often enough to come back for updates.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Coolguye posted:

My larger problem with context kills being hard to activate is that there's so little time to get a kill going after you grab someone. You screw around at all and the survivor is kicking out.

You're not scaring them enough first

Use fear more

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

just wanted to let everyone know you're not Chad enough

if you dont have the outfit DLC, you're basically a Poor

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Savini Jason deals extra melee damage, recharges map teleport faster, and breaks doors/walls quicker. He's cool looking but he's not like a crazy useful setup or anything.

I also imagine this skill setup will be given to Jason X in the future.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Every time it's real-world Friday the 13th, instead of counselors it just spawns a bunch of Jasons, and one person is picked to be a counselor instead of Jason

This is my suggestion and it is a good suggestion

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

MacheteZombie posted:

The Jason X map would definitely have to have either the Crew Captain or the Android be the TJ of the map.

The robot lady would be good if you get to roll around as a head on the ground talking to people over voice chat after you die.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Hahaha of course the "police response time decreased" is called "My Dad's A Cop."

I got a high enough roll on this that it cuts a full minute off the wait. its so good

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i had a kill animation bug out, and instead of murdering someone i recruited them as my new sidekick

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

My favourite non-zombie jason design. All busted out of custody with that badass mask, kane hodder at his finest.

I like jason x because it is just pure camp and has some really good kills in it, but I would have loved to have seen a post-jason goes to hell reboot with kane hodder and that jason design.

edit: my main pet peeve with the game so far is that only one jason gets the machete, when it's the most iconic jason weapon. Three axes but only one machete, and part 7 jason is criminally underpowered.

It would be nice if they had an update that added this Jason with the machete, and maybe when he goes into Rage he becomes Uber Jason and has his abilities all change, or something like that? I don't know how to properly work Uber Jason into the game without him just being his own Jason, which would honestly be okay too

but that pre-uber Jason looks real good

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sdoots posted:

Had a lot of fun playing this for the first time yesterday. Anyone on PC who is on the fence, go for it. There's enough goons that private games were getting filled fast and everyone was friendly and having a good time.

What's the preferred method of getting around as a counselor? Should I be sneaking everywhere, jogging around, or what?

Generally jogging is good, though sneaking can be important later on when there's only a few of you left since Jason's likely to go for the more noisy players first. Just keep in mind you don't want to blow all your stamina and run into trouble unexpectedly, so jogging with short walking/crouching breaks if you're going long distances can be a good idea.

The noise issue becomes a bigger and bigger problem the more stealth characters there are on your team, particularly if you aren't one of them. I've noticed even early on Jason will go for the non-stealth folks just because they're more noticeable than the others, which can lead to some real quick deaths if you're not ready for it.

And keep in mind that if you're in the woods alone, you want your flashlight on to minimize fear gain. More fear = more noise = more visible to Jason. Ducking into lit buildings kills your fear pretty quickly too (which is why Jason wants to cut the power whenever possible).

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If you know people are likely to attempt a J-Kill Scenario, it doesn't hurt to throw a trap down in your hut doorway, if you've got some to spare. Not all Jasons can really 'waste' it there though.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Re: stretch goal stuff

The devs have said that Pamela's concept will require either a unique map for her or a rework of existing maps in some major way, so they have something interesting in mind I'm sure.

As for rights issues, the only two movies they can't pull from are Freddy VS Jason and the remake. Everything else seems to be fair game.

The map most likely to happen next is probably the Abandoned Camp map, since it would build off a lot of existing assets, but the devs seem really excited about doing a Manhattan map so I'd expect that to be the first major (multiplayer) update to the game, with Jason X as the second. They want to support and add lots of stuff long term.

Single player mode is the big focus right now, I think? Which is you playing as Jason and murdering teens. But it's not a simple bot match mode, it's supposed to be story-driven and unique.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Basebf555 posted:

Ideally yes, but not necessarily. Just because having an elderly woman get back up after repeated shots to the head with baseball bats and pipe wrenches is ridiculous doesn't mean they won't do it that way. Likewise with Manhattan, nothing stopping them from just making a map made up of a few city blocks where you can enter a certain limited number of buildings but the core gameplay remains the same.

And when they say they're doing a Manhattan map, they probably mean they're doing a map from the movie Jason takes Manhattan, i.e. it will be a cruise ship. A big cruise ship with slightly different ways of escaping(lifeboats, call the cost guard, etc.) seems more likely to me than an actual city map in Manhattan.

Cruise ship and Manhattan itself are supposed to be two separate maps according to devs a while back

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Arnm616 posted:

Any idea how the game determines who will come back as Tommy? I was in a match with some people wanting to do an organized Jason kill. I was killed first, after calling in Tommy, but after waiting for 5 minutes the second player killed spawned as Tommy 30 seconds after he was killed. We were both murdered with Jason's weapon.

Is it just random?

It seems to be random, but there's some sort of rules it tries to follow. Usually it doesn't happen until at least two people are dead, and not within the first 5 minutes (both of these can be ignored if it decides to ignore them), and sometimes it can seemingly pick people to respawn as Tommy who have already left the match, ensuring Tommy just doesn't spawn at all.

That last thing seems like a legit bug though.

This game's devs seem to want a lot of aspects of the game to feel kind of nebulous and mysterious so I have a feeling that they're not going to explain all the spawning rules for Tommy just like they don't give us hard numbers on Jason's stats or anything.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If people need to rebind keys, it's a thing the devs are working on adding, but also it takes like 2 minutes to download and set up an external program that rebinds your input for the game while leaving other programs alone. There's tons of stuff that does it. I use one just to rebind push-to-talk to a mouse button.

I mean it's not ideal, but generally if you're actually interested in playing the game instead of just making GBS threads on it you can spare a minute or two to set that stuff up.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The propeller can spawn anywhere weapons or gasoline can spawn. Sometimes it's real easy to miss.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

When I'm a counselor: "grab is OP, nerf this poo poo"

When I'm Jason: "why is it so easy to escape grab? buff this poo poo"

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Basebf555 posted:

It was that forgettable dude in the flannel shirt, what's his name again? I dunno why anyone would want to be that guy, he's aggressively mediocre.

He's instantly a better character if you have the counselor outfit DLC, since it gives him a Hawaiian shirt instead of flannel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hockles posted:

The more I play, the more I would rather they just iron out the issues with the game before they start adding more things to it.

that's what they're doing, really. the people working on new assets are just not the same people who fix server issues or whatever

also i dont think they're going to be releasing anything on the 13th, but we'll probably get our first look at some post-release content and singleplayer

• Locked thread