Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Good OP, had the game on preorder since the Beta and loved it. It's not terribly designed like Dead by Daylight (which is a terrible game) but it was super rough around the edges. I hope they smooth everything out by release. Also, I hope they optimize the hell out of it because my laptop was going full tilt and the game doesn't even look that good graphically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I think the development objectives after beta are what you are hoping for - the core mechanics aside from Jason traps / knives are all the same. There were several times where the devs went into great technical detail about server issues and bugs, (The one where Jason would get stuck busting down a door forever) which left me with the impression they knew their poo poo on the programming end of things.

I didn't notice any issues performance wise - but I didn't run on laptop so I can't really say. :smug:

I'm running an i7 6700HQ and GTX 1060 so the game shouldn't have any issues running maxed out, but the Beta and Virtual Cabin both had my laptop working harder than Battlefield 1 does on Ultra. Also they really need to remove the AA or Tessellation they're using because everything looks like a muddy blur.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Kinda sucks the Savini skin was preorder only and I just heard about it now thanks to the OP. Hopefully when preorders go up on steam they'll offer it again.

It seems like you're out of luck, they were pretty firm on the Backerkit preorders being the last way of getting the Savini skin. Hopefully it is because they also stated that the skin is unique and will have it's own set of skills. Kinda lovely to lock people out of that permanently because they didn't preorder.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

OxMan posted:

So, is this a full $60 release? Cause it looks cool but if it's just gonna be 1 gametype with lots of maps and multiplayer only then it looks like it'll get old quick.

I believe it was $40 for the preorder, I assume that's going to be retail as well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sea Sponge Run posted:

this game sounds really rad

but is the phone's location really not randomized or something?

It's randomized along with all other items, but I think there's only a set amount of spawn locations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Coolguye posted:

is searching the lootable objects an action that leaves a notable trace or is it some sort of extended action that spawns some other UI and the lootable is closed afterward?

Doors, drawers, cabinets and whatever you interact have animations. I don't remember if you could leave draws open but doors and windows would stay open. This was great in that closing all of the doors and locking yourself in a cabin gave you a bit of reprieve from Jason since he'd have to break a door down (he can't go through windows). But that meant you had to be ready to undo locks and open the door to escape if he was coming. The problem is Jason has a rage mode that just lets him walk through a door and take it down instantly like a beast and you'll basically corner yourself in the cabin, unless you want to quickly jump through the window and take damage from breaking the glass.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Coolguye posted:

if jason can't go through a window, what is the point of having a window closed? or when you say a window 'stays open', are they non-operational and you mean that when you bust through a window it stays busted open?

I....have no idea. I guess ideally you'd have every window open but that'd take a bunch of time.

Also, I jumped out of a 2nd floor window to evade Jason and ended up being a gimp, so Jason just came down to curb stomp my rear end. It was awesome.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's the difference, Jason isn't fast like the killers are in Dead By Daylight, he's pretty slow. Some of the Jason's can't even "sprint" and only walk around, though the sprint is more like a geriatric power-walk. Jason does have two skills that help him get around in a pinch, one move is a blink that brings up the map and you can click anywhere on the map to teleport there but you can't teleport inside of buildings, it also has a large cooldown. The second ability is a fast moving first person camera where Jason disappears and reappears wherever you have steered him and then reappears. It's harder to control and doesn't have the range of the blink, but it has a shorter cooldown from what I remember. Both abilities are masked by a VHS tape audio and visual effect to the Counselors so it doesn't look like crap but does alert the Counselors that Jason has made a large move, though you don't know where.

The Counselors can easily run from Jason since they're faster, but they also have stamina which wears down fast and also regens slowly, so if Jason spends a lot of time on your rear end, your best bet is to find a cabin, lock it up and try and give him the slip. Counselors have options when it comes to hiding, such as in closets, cabinets and under beds but Jason can also destroy these things and if you're in them you're dead. On the other hand, it takes Jason a long time to axe his way through said objects so destroying everything in a single cabin is a massive waste of time if you don't manage to kill anyone.

The map in the beta also had a lot of foliage that you could run into and hide from Jason, but I remember Jason having some sort of visual sonar that would make everything go greyscale and buildings glow red if counselors were in them. I don't recall if this was an ability on a cooldown or not, or if it worked to spot anyone that wasn't in a building.

Counselors also can find pocket knives that work like the Self Defense Knife in the Resident Evil 1 remake, so if Jason grabs you you'll stab him causing him to stagger and drop you so you can get away.

So for both of your scenarios, there's a variety of ways things can play out. If Jason breaks in and the counselor books it out the window, it all depends on if Jason is going to break through stuff to look for you or how fast he caught on that you left via the window if he notices that it'd open. He then has to exit the cabin and try and figure out which way you went, if he doesn't have line of sight there's a good chance he's lost you. Though, if he has his skills ready for use and has a faint idea of where you went, there's a good chance he'll catch up to you. If that happens then hopefully you can either fight him or pocket knife him.

The thing about surviving as the counselors is managing your limited stamina, I remember this being a main complaint of the beta because it was easy for Jason to just run remaining survivors down once numbers started to drop, and the regen was painfully slow. That being said, it's almost like they designed the game so that the counselors wouldn't always be running but the walking speed was too slow as well. It think those two things were my major concerns once the beta ended because having to casually stroll all over the camp just to try and escape was too much, and not having a full bar of stamina because it took ages to regen sucked when I really needed it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MinibarMatchman posted:

each Jason skin has specific traits?

Nothing major, but each Jason had small buffs or debuffs, for instance one Jason couldn't sprint at all, but he was faster than the others when it came to walking under the water. None of the traits were major enough and I don't think there was one Jason that was objectively better than the others so it was all preference. Pretty sweet.

Also, the sleeping bag kill was apparently in the beta, you have to kill a counselor that was hiding in a tent which I never saw anyone do. I love that poo poo though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

gently caress yeah.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They should give counselors a dodge roll type move where they can avoid a shifting Jason's attack but make it each a chunk of stamina.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

VolticSurge posted:

I've thought it over, and I've decided that I'm not going with the John Cena music. Instead, I've found the perfect Jason gimmick. Now if only I can figure out how to 1.play the audio on a mic and 2. play it on an infinite loop.

Edit:Since some people might be confused,that is the theme song of a nigh-unkillable monster that stalks the protagonist of Lunethex's Syphon Filter LP. Coolguye knows who I'm talking about.

I'm gonna use the Sanford and Son intro theme.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BeigeJacket posted:

Sweet, in that case will definitely get this.

To those of you who played the beta (did anyone in this thread?), how insufferable is it with pubbies?

It's completely playable because they'll either help you by fixing poo poo or draw Jason from you. The great part about Friday the 13th is that there isn't a DBNO situation like there is with Dead by Daylight, so you don't have to rely on someone else picking you up off of the floor if Jason takes you down. There's nothing to be hooked on, Jason has to kill your rear end on the spot. It's a perfect system because the game doesn't fall apart with lovely players but it allows good players to survive even if they never see another counselor.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can't pick up his weapon or his mask either.

You can't pick up the player Jason's weapon, but you can get into Jason's cabin and take his matchete which is apparently really really drat strong but if you go into his cabin he's alerted and will probably teleport right back to the cabin to get you.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

So, certainly early on and probably for quite some time, you should be able to bait someone into going for the Shank of Voorhees and give yourself more time to fix the car/phone. :unsmigghh:

Are the bear traps set to friendly-fire, or do they affect Jason only?

Bear traps definitely effect counselors, I've run into one while trying to run from Jason and... well, you can guess how that went.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The dumb poo poo about my experience is that I laid that bear trap.... :smith:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BeigeJacket posted:

I almost bought that Dead Before Dawn game a few weeks back when I first became aware of Friday XIII and just COULDN'T WAIT any longer to play survival horror co-op.

What's the issue with DbD exactly?

Dead by Daylight is a lesson in terrible game design, there's no fail state for the killer he's always in play but his objective it to put the survivors into positions where all gameplay is removed from the player controlling them. You can get taken down and all you get is a slow crawl but you can't get back up without another survivor picking you up so you're basically useless. Then if you're hooked you can't do anything except wait for death or someone to save you, there is a way to get off but it relies hugely on luck and almost never works. Other than that the survivor gameplay comes down to lovely QTEs for most of the game.

Also there's so many loving perks it's literally impossible to balance so the devs more or less don't give a poo poo to do so. The game is "designed" as a competitive game rather than just for fun but with so much luck involved (and it plays a huge part) and poor balance it's ridiculous that anyone takes it seriously but most of the community does and it's toxic.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

weekly font posted:

Are there any perks to preordering at this point or should I wait to see if it has optimization issues like literally every game ever now?

No reason to preorder unless you want to play immediately. Might as well just wait.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Scalding Coffee posted:

What is the deal with the virtual cabin?

As in what is it? It's a virtual museum of the in-game assets, There's different rooms for different things like the counselors, items and Jasons. The Jason room is neat because they give you some stuff to read up on in regards to that specific film, the creation of the character, etc. It's pretty anemic because the rest of the stuff is just sitting there to just look at, not even the counselors get a blurb of text. There's an outdoor area that has a car and small graveyard too, but not much to see there. It has some spoopy sounds that play randomly too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can't wait for the Tress FX.

TresFX, TresFX, oooh lala

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wanderer posted:

Only if the dumpster is in a fixed location on the map and the punched head always sails clean into it, regardless of where you were on the map at the time.

I want to see clips of some poor counselor's head flying through windows, around trees, opening doors for itself, and bouncing off the dumpster's open lid before landing inside. With NBA Jam sound effects dubbed in.

FROM DOWNTOWN! BOOM SHAKALAKA!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hell yeah, preloading this poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The phone and cars are in a random spot, as mentioned earlier.

The one map in beta did not feel like it got old or stale, and I think that this is just because there's so many possibilities on how the game is going to play out. In one game, you may run to a cabin and find it full of useful loot such as pocketknives, walkie talkie, car battery, etc. Perhaps the car is right outside and you get to fix it fast and easy!

In another game, you may find the same cabin has the power out, has been trashed and only half-looted, and there's a dead body inside you didn't expect to find. Whoops! Looks like your fear level just increased to the point where Jason can see you on his sense. Also this cabin has the phone, so he's been watching it like a hawk. Now he has morphed over and you need to run.

You know what's the best part of this game? It straight up loving feels like a horror movie when you're trying to get the car running. One game I started in the cabin right next to the car and I had the battery in the cabin with me or nearby, my friend found the gas immediately and we fixed the car up immediately... except for the god drat keys. We spent the rest of the match looking for the keys, running from Jason and our numbers were dwindling. After finally finding them across the map we had to make a mad dash back to the car, get it running and Jason was on our tail the whole time. My friend broke off from the group and Jason followed him. We got the car running and took off towards the exit when my friend reemerged from the forest in front of our headlights and he jumped in and we made it. It kicked so much rear end.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

What's the point, ki ki ki
of the fat kid then? ma ma ma

Comic relief.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

1stGear posted:

Most of them are uninteresting "Do common thing X amount of times"

Kinda bummed about this because achievements can be really fun to go after if they aren't dumb grindy poo poo like this, oh well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Snatch Duster posted:

My stupid goddamn wife invited my loving in laws over the weekend. I loving hate everything.
:sever:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Burkion posted:

So a fair warning for everyone here.

I am my grandmother's caretaker- she is wheelchair bound other stuff. It won't be super frequent, but when she needs me to do something I will have to gently caress off to take care of that. Usually it's only once every now and again, and I'm only gone for about 2 to 3 minutes, at least at night. So I'll try to let people know if something comes up during a match and if you see me just standing around not doing anything, that's why. Feel free to do whatever to me if I am away.

I won't be on during the day much due to this, so night time is when I'll likely be playing the most.

You'll just be roleplaying as the post-sex sleeping teen.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

weekly font posted:

Yeah cop escape is definitely the best way to go (love that they added a required fuse) but car escapes are a loving blast when four people are in there. It just seems a tad easy to squelch.

You need a fuse now? Can Jason break the radio in anyway to prevent the cops from being called? I remember he can take out the phones and lights.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Poulpe posted:

I'm just sayin', it's a love letter to one of the biggest icons in horror and watching him bounce around like it's his birthday while viciously slaughtering teens for his dead mother... I dunno, doesn't feel like it's doing him justice.

What's he supposed to do?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Burkion posted:

Run in a way Jason has never, ever moved apparently.

I just never saw anything wrong with the way he runs. That's how he ran in Part 3.

Exactly, Jason isn't Pumpkinhead or the limping mutants from The Hills have Eyes, he's just ugly dude that slowly became zombified in later films but he never moved or acted beastly.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So... that link...?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Snatch Duster posted:

That isn't midnight.

I just noticed this as well, what the gently caress?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Snatch Duster posted:

Its like 8 am PST.

If that's the case that's gonna suck because my group and I were hoping for tonight.

Poulpe posted:

I think in Part 3 he came off much more lumbering and threatening than our resident goofball :shrug:
Again, I said it was minor, it's just... so weirdly chipper.

He just looks like a dude chasing after people, like someone playing tag with friends. It's a jog in the game and it works, it fits Jason's character.

sigher fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 25, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I am the female federal agent who gets naked in a remote cabin to lure him out. AMA.

I hope some of the kills from Jason Goes to Hell makes in it, they're some of the most hosed up but I want to melt other players into the floor.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rasta_Al posted:

Does anyone know about the status on physical copies and where to nab one? I know a lot of places aren't selling it cause it's AO. Just curious if anyone has had luck.

Delayed from what I've read, no clue on the ETA though.

Game owns, gently caress DbD.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So when is that "imminent" patch they were talking about?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Servers are down again?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Indiecrowdfunndedgame.txt

anymultiplayergameonreleaseday.txt

So I found my first major annoyance with the game; I found a gas can and was next to a boat and managed to fill it up and someone else had fixed the propeller. Jason is coming straight for me but thanks to the devs making "leave the boat" and "start the engine" the same loving key my dumb loving character didn't know if she wanted to start the engine or get off the boat. So I'm dancing around on the dock like an idiot constantly getting in and out of the boat. I get killed.

Also, and this is pretty comedic: They need to make the "struggle" keys A/D like in DbD, it's like the one thing they got right because Jason set up a trap right outside of a busted window and I didn't know, so I climb out of the window, taking damage because he's coming into the cabin and I get caught in the trap. I mash E furiously to get out and break free but thanks to E being the DO EVERYTHING key I accidently jump back through the broken window and kill myself.

Come on, you don't need one god drat button to do every interaction in this game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hahah, so apparently some of the devs are at a convention on release weekend. According to Randy Greenback's twitter they're "fixing things" from there.

https://twitter.com/Randygbk/status/868303635406389248

Seems like a mess.

Still no sign of the patch either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

UPDATE IS OUT ON STEAM. 1.6 GB.

• Locked thread