Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Bitching OP. I mainlined youtube videos of the beta for a couple of days, having discovered the game only after the beta had ended and I'm already jonesing for it to come out. May would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

So last night I managed what was probably one of the first ever 'legit' jason kills (i.e. Not one where he stands there and intentionally let's you do it.)

Got murdered like... Ten seconds into the round by jason. He jumped to my cabin, one of the lovely ones with just one side window and one front window. Trapped one window, broke down the door and speared me through the face when I tried to run.

Pondered quitting for the night, but eh. gently caress it. Spectate half the map until suddenly, Tommy Jarvis time! I book it across the map, get scared by finding my own corpse and find a tank of gas. Car is otherwise ready to go so I fill the tank, hop in and we start driving.

On the way we stop to save another girl, and jason takes the opportunity to wreck the car.

Driver gets grabbed, and I start macheteing Jason in the back. We are hosed in my mind, but maybe I can hero Jarvis long enough for someone to hop in the car and escape.

His mask pops off (part 6 is an ugly mofo) and I grab it. Cool, I've wounded him, maybe that can... No loving way.

The girl we picked up is wearing the sweater. She does not know how to kill jason. I just barely break out of a grab kill and keep swinging while literally shouting over voice chat for her to loving press q. Eventually she does, I murder jason, three of us survive.

Jason is pissed over voice chat.

Caros
May 14, 2008

weekly font posted:

Goddamn wish you recorded that! Sounds like it went down in the intense and rare way the devs clearly intended.

99% of the time that scenario will go like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP2srO7RpeM

quote:

just like in reality, the girl nearly gets you killed.

"i.... i... i don't know what to do!?"
"shoot him! he's... killing.... me. SHOOT HIM!"
*closes eyes, pulls trigger*

Funny enough, I also had this match last night as well.

Got gas, keys and a battery all in three cabin directly around the four seater. Fixed it up in record time with no molestation from Jason. Was a bit of a drive, but it was looking good.

We called down the other players by radio, and three came running, which wasn't great for a four seater car. Of course they weren't exactly masters of stealth so jason solved our numbers problem on the way.

I start driving to meet them and there is jason in the middle of the road. I dodge around him, get the car onto the bridge and stop to let the others catch up. Jarvis is there so all he has to do is shoot jason and we are gone.

He shoots the other player in the face.

Well, poo poo. Okay. Not ideal. I figure we will just drive off and save ourselves. Jarvis is hosed without a weapon and with jason right there. But the French girl in the car is screaming at me to stop. She has a gun, she will shoot jason, and we'll all drive off. I stop, get out so I can see what is going on.

Just in time to watch her shoot Tommy in the face.

Yeah, so at that point I got back in the car and left her to die.

Caros fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 26, 2017

Caros
May 14, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Seems like the game has some technical issues, but is it fun?

Very. There are a handful of annoying glitches and one or two round enders, but a match is no more than twenty minutes, so even if Thst happens you only have to wait a little bit.

So far the worst glitch in the game IMHO is the one where you accidentally pull a door closed behind you and end up outside of the house you were trying to enter.

There is also a glitch with jason where you can teleport through a locked door by drawing throwing knives as you hatchet it, but it's hard as hell to do and should be fixed promptly.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BillBear posted:

I've played the beta and STILL have no idea how to use stealth.

One of the matches I played, I was punk girl and was the last one left and was just crouched going slowly up a road, not in the wilderness or anything and Jason still ended up finding me.

I've heard if done right stealth can be insanely effective but I'm usually one of the first ones to die. What gives? What do I do? The game's loving awesome though, great fun.

The thing to remember is that stealth and composure are too different things.

Stealth affects the little circular *pings* that jason gets from sound. Having a high stealth and doing things like moving slowly and not breaking poo poo means jason should basically never find you by stealth.

Composure is your fear resistance. If you are scared you light up like a Christmas tree no matter how good your stealth is. Keep near other counselors (not vanessa) and keep to lit areas or leave your flashlight on.

Just as a general tip, never be in the woods unless you are travelling. You will not escape from a competent jason if you are in the woods. He doesn't tire, and you don't get any breaks on your sprinting.

A good player can keep jason busy for five minutes or longer just by moving from cabin to cabin provided they are already locked up and he isn't in rage mode. That same player will get run down in under a minute in the woods because jason will telefrag them.

The only exception to this is if you are in a group waiting for the cops. So far the strongest strategy there seems to be to stand in a group of three or four, stop moving and point your flashlights at a wall. You won't have any fear so jason won't sense you, and if you aren't moving he doesn't hear you.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BillBear posted:

Sounds like you need Jason to be heavily wounded, Tommy to be on the scene and possibly his mum's sweater? Sounds tricky to pull off to me.

You need jason to have his mask knocked off, for tommy to pick it up. You also need a female player to be wearing mom's sweater and for her to use an ability (I'm not sure how this works but apparently you jam Q) at which point you can stun him and tommy can deliver the finishing blow.

In practice I'm guessing it only ever happens on flukes or with dumb Jason's. Once jason players know the sweater is a threat they will come and murder the poo poo out if anyone who goes for it (mom alerts them). Couple Thst with the fact that jason has to be knocked mask less and it's basically a perfect storm.

I'm still shocked as hell I did it. Sad I didn't record it though I don't know the developers would have been super happy with a video of one of their players yelling "Push Q or we all die you dumb oval office".

Caros
May 14, 2008

BillBear posted:

Isn't it designed so that no matter how sneaky you are, the moment you enter a cabin, it lights up the entire building? I'm always nervous as hell entering buildings because of this.

Yes and no. If you show up entering a cabin then you were in his radar before anyways.

The advantage of cabins is that they give you breathing room. Even if he goes right after the door, you have five to ten seconds of stamina regen, then right out a window and dive into the next cabin.

Done right you can string a Jason along three or four cabins within a few minutes, which is often enough time for him to get bored, frustrated or realize there is something else he needs to do.

If he is chasing you in the woods, you are hosed. He will shift up to you, then hatchet or grab you in short order. Even if you break away, his stamina is infinite, yours is not.

Use the cabins. Love the cabins. Lock the doors.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

This is your problem. Look for map kiosks.

Also, it's cool to see all the new posters in here. A gentle reminder that every 13th page (i.e. on page 26) you are required by goon law to post:

and preferably nothing else. See page 13 for reference.

Also, as one of the in game tips reminds you, it is in fact "Ki Ki Ki Ma Ma Ma" not "Ch ch ch ha ha ha".

That is an actual in game tip.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ComposerGuy posted:

Death via being run over by escaping car while 10 feet from the cops.

10/10

Okay, so... things happened. No one's fault. They just do.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Alteisen posted:

If you find the broken phone box the fuse is always in the house attached to it as is a phone.

This isn't true btw.

The fuse is in any of the nearby cabins.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Burkion posted:

Goon Tale- getting more than two people into a lobby is a nightmare when it's not private.

Getting a full lobby when it is private is also a nightmare.

Also Caros spent a good three minutes circle jerking Jason with two other people around a car and it was pretty glorious.

It really was. Then we won via time out rather than the car. lol

Caros
May 14, 2008

Brackhar posted:

In my experience so far though you have very little ability to actually run from the cabin; as soon as he's outside he can pretty easily chase you down if you go out a window.

It just takes practice really. Sometimes a jason will snag you early, but if you have say... a flaregun, a pocket knife and some fireworks you can keep jason basically non-functional for the better part of five to ten minutes.

The trick is to learn the types of cabins. If it is a small cabin with 1 or 2 windows on the front or side, you need a flaregun, fireworks or a beartrap to survive it. If it is a larger cabin you basically just need to take a side or rear window out while jason is messing with you. Always know where your next destination is after you leave a cabin, and if he is on your rear end then that is one of the few times you should actually be sprinting. Ducking out a window and running to a new cabin is generally a near perfect save, especially if you make sure he walks into the cabin before you bail.

Each time you jump into a cabin and start the 'where am I going' game over, that buys you 30ish seconds and refills your stamina. And you can just keep doing it over and over so long as you have supplies to cover you if you have to duck into a small cabin.

That said, you will probably die doing this. Most Jason's will get tunnel vision once a councillor frustrates them, which means that once you poke them in the eye, you can expect to die unless you can feed him off onto someone easier, or you can stun him long enough to actually juke him. But any escapees is a survivor win, so you are taking one for the team.

Unless you end up with a pubbie run. Just finished an 8/8 survivor kill where they didn't fix poo poo. Two people went up to mother's cabin and got poo poo on when I teleported on top of them and gutted them. Hilariously one of them was whining about Jason's instant kills, which is the stupidest poo poo ever since the alternative is hitting her generically with the spear three times. After that I cleaned up three more in the wilderness and then got stuck in a wall. Fun fact, the bug is still there. :(

Got knocked out of it, chased down Jarvis who whined about being instant killed again, then (sort of the point of this story) I got led around for a solid seven minutes chasing a single Chad. This was past the ten minute mark which meant I was rage moding through doors and he still managed to lead me on a chase using the tactics I described.

Edit: Hahah! The whiner was a youtuber.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Alteisen posted:

The entire soundtrack is 80's as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDh65khi8f4

They loving killed it, its honestly the biggest reason I like the game despite its jankyness, you can tell that people that made it loved the source material.

It is important to remember that the game was originally designed as a generic slasher game. But they did such a loving bangup job with the initial product that the guys who owned Friday the 13th were actually open to giving them the rights. They clearly loved the material, so I'm willing to give them a decent amount of leeway, even if the game hates me right now.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ComposerGuy posted:

I've been Jason about two dozen times over the weekend in a mix of Goon and Pubbie games, never failed to kill at least 5 counselors and have often gotten everyone, and based on my particular playstyle, these are things I've found to be true-ish (your mileage may vary!).

Composerguy's Jason Tips:

- Ignore Vanessa. Vanessa's entire purpose is to try and get you to chase her instead of everyone else. She has poo poo stealth, poo poo strength and can't fix anything without loving it up at least 2-3 times, which gives you plenty of time to morph over when you hear her inevitably loving up. Vanessa can't do anything on her own except juke you effectively, especially in the early-game, so she should be your lowest priority target. She's relying on everyone else to fix things she can get away in. Only go after her if: 1. You know for a fact you can off her very quickly, like, within 10 seconds quickly (catching her fixing the phone or a car for example) or 2. She's the last or one of the last counselors on the map late match. Her composure and stealth are terrible, so by mid-match she will light up like a christmas tree on your sense from half a map away.

- Similar, but more situational, you should largely ignore Bugsy in the early-going. Especially a Bugsy who is on his own. He will outrun you and his strength can be a real problem if he's got a baseball bat and decent aim. I've seen many Jasons get tunnel vision chasing down a lone Bugsy and regret it (I was one of those Bugsies. Juked Jason for a solid 6 minutes before he gave up and by then half the counselors had gotten away). Get his fear built up, *then* deal with him.

- Absolutely take out high stealth, high composure and high repair counselors as priority targets. All other things being equal, if you've got a group of 3-4 counselors around, you should prioritize AJ, LaChappa and Debbie. They have the best repair skills, and AJ in particular can ghost on you real quick and thus become a pain in the rear end to find later on.

- Your first couple of morphs actually make more of a difference than you might think. You need to be hitting power boxes and trapping phones/cars/boat docks in the opening minute. For most Jasons, morph is on a 20 second cooldown. In those 20 seconds you should be able to trap a spot or break a power box and even take a moment to break open a few doors (I tend to break the doors on cabins near cars and the phone to make it easier later on).

- You are not a direct threat until Shift unlocks a few minutes into the game and you shouldn't try to be unless you get a perfect situation. Ignore counselors who show up where you morph in favor of going about the business of making their lives harder via cutting power and trapping objectives. They can all outrun you at this stage pretty well, and you'll waste sometimes minutes at a time going after them only for you to miss another group of counselors escaping due to your lax defense.

- Be vigilant about checking your map every so often. The only hint you'll often get that the boat is escaping is seeing it moving on the map. That's the trade-off with the boat for the counselors: If Jason doesn't know about it, you're home free, but if he does, you are 100 percent dead. The car has no such drawback if you can drive skillfully enough.

- Got a group of counselors swarming the 4-seater with all kinds of weapons and you're having a hard time not getting stunned/knocked down to keep them from getting in? Morph out and let them have it. Choose a spot where they'll have to drive and wait them out. Counselors inside a car are *zero* threat because they can't fire their weapons at you and it takes them a few seconds to emerge from the vehicle. So you can smash the car and usually kill one of them before the others have time to stun you.

- Don't forget about Stalk. It's very, very useful for confusing people about your location.

- Because I've seen some Jasons have trouble with this: Rage is context-sensitive. You'll be prompted to hit "e" or "action" at doors and walls. It can be hard to see the door one unless you're looking, but its there. Don't wast time axing down doors if you can just walk right through them.

- There's a bit of a back and forth right now on whether grab kills or just hacking away is the most efficient method of death. People who mostly hack are afraid of pocket knives and being stunned...but I think it depends on the situation. A map spawns maybe 4-5 knives per game and yeah it sucks to get stabbed, but going toe-to-toe with the stronger counselors can get you stunned just as fast. Even a LaChappa can get a stun hit off with a baseball bat and you are functionally invincible during kill animations if you trigger them fast enough. I only go for hack kills if I'm particularly annoyed by someone.

In general, building fear is the key against counselors who know what they're doing. Higher fear means short time to kill animations, easier detection via sense, and cripples the counselors by narrowing their vision and making them stumble more often. As Jason, you're playing for the long game most of the time because the longer a match runs, the more the odds are shifted in your favor.

EDIT:

Not sure about this. I had a game where the propeller spawned in the garage literally on the opposite side of the map from the boat dock.

One thing I've found to be of particular use is the two hack grab.

If you are dealing with a particularly troublesome councilor, or otherwise just want to ensure a kill against someone, I find it is useful to give them a few quick whacks, either with the throwing knives or the primary weapon.

On top of being thematically awesome, injuring the councillor ramps up their fear and, if you injure them enough, slows them to a crawl.

If you have been chasing a councillor until their stamina runs out, it is almost always beneficial to hit them a few times before going for the grab kill. Even if they have a pocket knife, they aren't going anywhere fast, meaning you often don't even have to shift to close the distance again. If they have a pocket knife and first aid spray, then the likely use up most of their stun time spraying themselves, meaning you can catch them again in short order.

If you catch someone early on by all means grab and decapitate them immediately. If you catch them late in the game it is often in your best interest to soften them up even if you are going for the grab.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lastdancer posted:

OK so, if you rolled back and it freezes up, I have found a fix.
Go to Users\<username>\AppData\Local\SummerCamp\Saved and just put the SaveGames folder somewhere... else, and then start the game. I am assuming it's pulling the save data again from the servers so you might lose some progress but it is better than nothing.

Gotta try this. Loading it at all causes my pc to melt down, which blows.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

let's get this over with: :nws:

Uh... huh.

Caros
May 14, 2008

joylessdivision posted:

Jason will walk 500 miles, and he'd walk 500 more just to be the man (behind the mask) who murders you.

Ki ki ma ma.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Burkion posted:

Also Tiffany is officially the most sympathetic character in the game.

Shelly is *THE WORST*. loving Nice Guy gently caress off bullshit.

I did one run where I just left Tiffany alone until after I killed everyone else. Alas, there was no option to just walk away after that.

I think even the developers knew this, given how he goes our.

• Locked thread