Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

HMMMMMMMMMMMM this looks pretty slick. However, so did For Honor and ohohohoho fool me once video games. We shall have to see.

Seven victims against one Jason seems like it would be initially very chaotic and/or stacked in the former's favor since at least one or two can work on an escape objective while the J-Man chews through people. Would you say there's an ideal number of people for a match?

Also would you say that either side has a lot of potential for cheesing things if they really know what they're doing? I immediately think of hook camping in Dead by Daylight.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Regardless of whether people complain about it. I think it's the best thing ever that Jason has an ability designed to mimic the classic jump scare of the slasher just magically showing up behind a victim after they run from him for awhile and think they're safe.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Skyscraper posted:

Yeah, Tinfoil was making fun of people saying shift is overpowered, but I really don't think I'd want Jason to be able to shift directly inside a building and into line of sight of someone and within melee range. Call it OP or not, it's not even the kind of killer Jason is. He's good at being present everywhere and pursuing people, but he doesn't explicitly teleport in the movies. It's a supernatural kind of presence, not some kind of x-man bullshit.

Like I said previously, I think it's just an ingame ability to be evocative of that classic horror movie jumpscare where the killer just suddenly appears behind the victim after they think he's been juked. Not sure it's supposed to be him literally teleporting. This even happens in some of the Jason films.

Edit: this basically, sorry for tv tropes type link but it illustrates what I mean.

http://allthetropes.wikia.com/wiki/Offscreen_Teleportation

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 20, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Skyscraper posted:

Yes, I too have seen a Friday the 13th movie. Like I said earlier

The movies aren't so artless as to ever directly raise the question "did he just teleport?", it's expressed more abstractly as "how are they being chased by someone who only ever walks everywhere?" (in the case of non-running Jasons)

https://youtu.be/hdi923NG-HE

Anyway, even if the shift thing is a little on the nose, what would you recommend as a potential replacement that would not be as blatant while still giving that advantage? He obviously needs something to close the gap with speedier characters.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Well now that they're paying attention...

Mr./Ms./Mrs. Developer Persons, I request that you follow For Honor's example and have a counselor kill where Jason just sits on a counselor until they are crushed. I will also accept a suplex kill.

Like no joke I will give you a donation if you give me a unique kill that lets me just go around grabbing teens and vertical suplexing them into an early grave.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 21, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

It's not too late developers, you can still have Vorhees wrasslin' people into submission while ghost mom cheers him on. DO IT.

Looks fun. Look forward to loving up like I usually do at these things.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Watching the footage, part of the motivation for never hitting the lights is probably so Jason doesn't notice what buildings are/have been occupied while the counselors root around. The tendency for them to cheese it into the woods or otherwise out in the open was still surprising. Maybe being witnessed entering a building is a death sentence due to a lack of reliable outs?

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 25, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

what does "Morph" mean?

The map teleport. Maybe being stronger in it means you warp closer to where you click on the map, while a weakness means it's far less precise.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Nearly everyone would want to just be Jason. The random selection is the smart decision and I'm glad it's in the game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I think both sides look fun in their own way, but most people are probably going to want to be the big scary guy with power over others. Being a counselor will probably be more interesting, and I have little doubt I'll be bad at both.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

DbD had issues for both sides and I think a large part of that was the map design. The map design was pretty awful.

Combine that with survive with friends for a game that wasn't really designed for it as well as the survivor "meta" that was with the game for most of it's release, and it just looks sloppy in hindsight.

Thankfully, the map doesn't suck in Friday the 13th.

I imagine this game's longevity will be very dependent on new maps down the line.

I remember a DbD stream AllShamNoWow did that was just him and his friends giggling like idiots as they frantically avoided the killer. Really made the survivor side entertaining.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Stuntman posted:

Well, I WAS looking forward to this game...

That's a little hyperbolic, but I wasn't aware of the trait gains - they'll have to manage that very carefully, if DbD was any lesson.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Also, for what it's worth, here are all of the perks. They look uniformly uninspiring outside of Restful and Marathon: http://fridaythe13th.gamepedia.com/Perks#/search

Low Profile apparently only works while crouching which means it's functionally useless after you're spotted

That doesn't look so bad, thanks for sharing.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Crabtree posted:

And while I'm being crazy, I'm also wondering if you could have a two killer face off with 8 survivors. The killers can't really work together as only one can win among them, murdering the councilors empowers the killer that actually offs them and it becomes a hunt to be the stronger slasher while the survivors try to make it out and use the rivalry to their advantage. If the slashers try to work together and try to make it an even split of say 4 for Jason and 4 for Freddy, it allows people to spawn back as Tommy Jarvis or other strong survivors.

This would actually be brilliant and even if it was Jason clones competing I'd love to see it in-game. Whoever kills more is the winner of match and the killer flagging behind gets buffs.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Nah, whoever ends up stronger kills the other killer in a really spectacular kill scene. That's your reward for being the winner and better hunter.

A narrative thing is fine as a spectacular victory scene but if you have the winning player get the buffs and perks it just makes it harder and harder for the losing killer to make a comeback and that's no fun.

I think we may have just miscommunicated and we agree. Anyway, let's hope such a mode comes to exist at all.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 26, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

So long as the match end animation is the victor having the loser in an armlock giving them a noogie while standing on a mountain of dead teenagers, I'll be happy.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Holy poo poo, HOLY poo poo I completely forgot about this.

Developers, I know you're reading this. You NEED to have this dance and the accompanying song play whenever a counselor reaches the police safe zone.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

They will probably offer the Savini skin as paid DLC a few months or so down the line after the backers get a fair amount of exclusive access. That's SOP for a lot of these things in other games.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Welp. Hardly something I'll be losing sleep over in any case.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

The "grip strength" stat makes me smile because it makes me imagine a line of Jasons each trying one of those vintage "love test" handle squeeze machines you'd see in bars and board walks.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Coolguye posted:

it's a pity nobody bothered to record their attempts at figuring out a jason kill, i am one hundred percent positive there's some group of people that loaded up with a friendly jason that would just gently caress around and act like a punching bag while people tried to do weird things. at the absolute least it'd be interesting to see if his mom has anything fun to say when someone tries to gently caress around with the sweater, or fire off a flare in the shack in an attempt to burn it down.

I think someone mentioned that Momma Vorhees alerts Jason when someone enters their cabin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

You know every player's first experience playing Jarvis is going to be them beelining for Jason, triumphuntly shooting him in the face, and immediately getting a retaliatory crump.

VVVV: oh, didn't realize. Guess it validates my point.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 28, 2017

• Locked thread