Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

How was the community for this during the beta? Any cheaters? People being angry on the mic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

BeigeJacket posted:

I don't think I've ever actually bought a game on steam on release day before. Will it be available at 12.01, or is it a bit more random than that?

It varies. Paradox games usually release in late afternoon the day of release for instance.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wren610 posted:

Any time I buy a game on steam I look at the Positive,Mostly Positive,Mixed,Mostly Negative,Negative, if its in the red i dont buy if its mixed I stop and think about it.

Yeah, it actually does kinda matter to some people. If I even see recent reviews being negative it makes me hesitant to pull the trigger if it costs more than $5. No way I'd drop full price on something that wasn't overwhelmingly positive.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is there any game mechanic to encourage counselors to work as a team other than the 'everyone survives' bonus which rarely seems to happen without an AFK/really incompetent Jason?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

After playing 10 hours or so I definitely feel like the bit where they want you to stay the entire match is kinda poo poo. The problem (and there are several reasons for it) is the game just kinda degenerates into running around endlessly past a certain point. Jason is getting stronger by the minute and you don't know whether the keys/fuse/etc are on someone's dead body in the middle of nowhere, missed in an already-looted house, or whether there's a cabin out there nobody ransacked.

I'd rather just get a new match.

I guess there's ways they could fix this, like maybe putting a big beacon over objective items during the last 5 minutes but right now it's really boring watching people running in circles.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I also think it's P2P given the huge range in pings I get.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I saw someone shift-juke a shotgun blast to finish off the final survivor, I was impressed.

I also saw 2 failed Jason kill attempts today. One the counselors hosed up and one with some bitchass playing Jason that kept running away and let the counselors escape because they had the setup for a kill.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 4, 2017

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What perks are good? I know it varies somewhat by counselor but... Do you want to shore up your characters weaknesses or double down on their strengths or take stuff that's useful for everyone like starting with items?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I hate playing as counselor because it feels like interesting gameplay ends for the most part after 7-8min. Most cabins have been looted at that point and objectives that are going to get done have already been done. So you're basically just looking for poo poo people missed and dealing with Jason. Or watching people do those things which is even worse.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What exactly does a 'good' Jason do in the first 5 minutes or so? My matches as Jason seem to be really hit or miss. Generally I go and trap the fusebox and break all the windows and maybe the doors on that cabin, go and put a trap or two by the car, and after that I just try to hunt people down but I'm frequently not very effective and only get 3/8.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah from the sounds of it this is going to be a really bad problem because all it takes is being in a lobby with a hacker and as a bonus they don't even need a legit copy of the game. It also isn't going to be a fast fix most likely because they're bringing in an outside company for some reason.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Am I just unusually lucky then? I've played against Savini Jason several times. I didn't know it was that rare to see it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

1.What is even the point of having combat mode? Seems like all Councillors are going to run and Jason is just going to grab kill everybody.

Seeing as how Jason can grab people and kill them right now before you can even use the QTE to escape, I guess it's mainly just for trying to block and get a counterattack off on Jason if he's swinging his weapon. Even that is pretty useless outside of couple counselor/weapon combos designed for getting hits on Jason.

quote:

2.Does fear go down over time or are you a shining beacon to Jason all round if you get freaked out?

You get a red outline for Jason which is worse than the white pings because he can tell pretty much exactly what you're doing inside a cabin. If he's breaking down a door and you have high fear he can see you climb out a window, whereas with just pings he might waste time continuing to break down the door or use sense to see if you're still there.

Fear goes down over time, and supposedly goes away much faster if you're standing next to a campfire or in a lighted area. People have said the lowered Stamina regen never goes away but that's probably a bug.

quote:

4. I found a little hand radio that went into the upper left corner of the screen, is that the cop radio or tommy radio and how do i use that?

It's a walkie talkie and having one means everyone else with a walkie talkie can hear your voicechat across the map instead of needing to be next to you.

quote:

5.How important is noise? Like Jason hunts by essentially echolocation but should i always be sneaking or if there is nothing going on is it okay to sprint around for example?

This depends on the counselor's stealth stat. I'm pretty sure everyone gives off pings when sprinting, and I've heard everyone with a stealth under six gives them off while jogging. It's best to jog around most of the time, crouch when you're trying to hide, and sprint when Jason is right behind you. You can't just walk everywhere because rounds only last 20 minutes with Jason getting stronger by the minute. Stamina management is really important and something I haven't quite gotten the hang of yet. If you run out of Stamina with Jason behind you, you are screwed 90% of the time.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Fun fact: I've put 26 hours into this game so far and I've never found the propeller even when looking for it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've seen people saying cutting the power to the cabin doesn't stop the phone from working but I'm 99% sure that did happen to me once when I was mid-call and Jason even remarked on it. I wish they'd get some more bugfix patches out because it's hard to tell whether some things work in a slightly inconsistent way or whether the game is just buggy still.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's cant be a very high chance though. I've been playing non stop for three days, never had it happen.

I'm guessing streamers are a big target but other than that it's just whether you piss off the wrong person. From what I heard you have to inspect the game's packets or whatever to get the person's id so I doubt it's too terribly widespread.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There's maybe a patch coming on the 13th. The studio made some cryptic comments when asked if they were doing anything for that day.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think stealth Pamela would work too well because the gig would be up relatively quickly when no one has run across Jason after x number of minutes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah you're not allowed to call people niggerfags in gbs either. And no adult says poo poo like that in polite company 5 years ago or now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Snatch Duster posted:

*swirls his 2009 malbec while pontificating*

"Yes, I'll double down on the fourteen year old insult"

nice meltdown

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm learning a lot here. Is Jason himself actually a homosexual or is he just a really extreme ally? Could he even be considered gay since he doesn't gently caress?

Maybe he does gently caress. It's not necrophilia if you're dead as well.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They missed an opportunity to give the NES Jason Savini's stats and quell some of the anger over that issue.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Regardless of what happened with that guy they banned the situation pretty much blew up in their faces. The official subreddit and recent Steam reviews reviews are all incredibly negative now. They either need a community manager or learn not to get involved in this stuff.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

For some reason they're unbanning all the glitchers with the content update.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Meh Jason tracking down the final girl from part 1 is when they were still kinda deciding what kind of character Jason was. Maybe it wasn't explicitly retconned but it's completely out of step with later movies.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I finally released what the 'Mute copyrighted music' setting is for after all this time. It's for people that want to stream the game and not get in trouble for rebroadcasting music from the movies.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Can you really not tell from the movie?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Don't they use blue lighting for nighttime shots though? Couldn't that make a green jumpsuit look more blue?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What is it about this game that makes people want to play it in a way other than what's intended?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The playerbase on PC is pretty small now, like 900 peak.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I love the poo poo out of the franchise but that's a weird level of obsession.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Game was on life support anyway as a year old multiplayer title with thin replay value. Peak concurrent players now is like 3% of what it was at launch.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Personally I think I'm done with this developer. The game ended up being way too janky for $40.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Danaru posted:

"Its a great community if you ignore the alt-right meltdowns and transphobic slurs" is uh, a hell of a pitch

SA offsite chat/forums don't have the best track record in general so this doesn't surprise me

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It still had 20-30x as many players as F13 even before the lawsuit poo poo happened so there must be something enjoyable about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I haven't played DBD but 'paper thin gameplay' is an exact description of why I was bored of F13 after 2-3 days.

• Locked thread