Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
how did itemization and map distribution work in the beta? it strikes me that one of the skill ceilings in this game will be people memorizing where items and objectives spawn in relation to each other. this happened in DbD to some extent but the nature of that game made knowing where stuff was fairly unimportant outside of the black hatch that let you escape if you were the last one standing. strikes me that knowing the 25 places stuff can spawn in a specific cabin would be an extremely big deal in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The items were randomly placed in lootable objects, which were mostly drawers, cabinets, etc. Weapons were found on set pieces in various spots, bear traps, batteries, and gas were found on the floor.

You could memorize where the lootable cabinets were going to be, I guess, but the item distribution was so random there's no way to reliably get something you want. You could come out of a cabin with literally nothing - or the car keys, 2 pocketknives, and a gas can. One notable exception, and the only thing that I found worth memorizing, were the two spots the shotgun was found.

All in all, it's more important to know what you're looking for rather than where everything might be.

The difficulty comes in when you are approaching mid game. You entered a cabin which someone was clearly in previously. Do you re-search everything to see if they missed something, or do you trust that they were competent in their search? More often than not, you could find things they missed.

is searching the lootable objects an action that leaves a notable trace or is it some sort of extended action that spawns some other UI and the lootable is closed afterward?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Close the drawer after, your mother doesn't work here! (even if Jason's does!)

cool that makes sense then

Bogart posted:

No, but Jason Segel and Jason Derulo are.

haha when derulo kills someone he just starts shouting 'DAYLIGHT COME AN' WE DON'T WANNA GO HOME'

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if jason can't go through a window, what is the point of having a window closed? or when you say a window 'stays open', are they non-operational and you mean that when you bust through a window it stays busted open?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

I....have no idea. I guess ideally you'd have every window open but that'd take a bunch of time.
that's a pretty good reason in and of itself. i'm just trying to tease things out to try to understand what 'good survivor play' is. this is an axe to grind with me because in DbD, there's no such thing as good survivor play. the result experienced by the survivors depends entirely on how boneheaded the killer is, as skill ceilings are low and a skilled killer will nab a skilled survivor 100% of the time. it became very frustrating to play as survivor and boringly trivial to play as killer due to this general semantic.

but in this case, if your overall objective is to investigate a cabin, a reasonable plan would be to lock the door but open a window. jason's main options at that point would be to attack the locked door and let you bolt through the window, or attack the open window, breaking it and ruining your clean escape plan, but alerting you to his presence so you can try another window or break for the door. that's coherent enough.

the damage over windows thing is definitely a straight reaction to window vaulting in DbD, but it's not a bad one. window vaulting in that game was insanely lame, but it was also the only real way a survivor could actually stay away from a killer, so when the developers nerfed that insanely dumb strat without providing another way to play, pbbttttt.

so folks who have played, i presume Jason has a faster foot speed than even the fastest councilors to avoid them just kiting him around forever. with that in mind, could you give me an idea of how the following 2 scenarios play out:

1) as proposed above, Jason corners a councilor in a cabin. he elects to attack the doorway, and the councilor goes to escape through the window (which is open). what are the survivor's chances of getting far enough away that Jason must stop outright chasing them and work to re-acquire them? what must they do to shake him?
2) Jason spots a councilor at a decent but not huge distance away on a forest trail/cabin area with some cover they could ostensibly escape to within a second or two of a chase starting. again, what are the survivor's chances of getting away, and what must they do to shake Jason?

what i'm trying to get to here is how exactly a chase functions. the current humongous issue in DbD is that there's an utter dearth of mechanics once a chase begins and the mechanics that do exist mostly favor the killer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah, that is an extremely complicated set of variables in a chase compared to DbD. very interesting. i appreciate the input, i'll keep it in mind as i watch the youtube videos.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

henkman posted:

Anyone have any good videos of full rounds played by either side where whoever's playing isn't obnoxious (I know that's subjective)?

IGN has some but as usual the player is really and obviously bad at the game

phone posting so no link but should come up with Friday the 13th beta gameplay as one of the first results

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I saw hiding he used successfully once, but it was in a cabin with a blaring radio so Jason's sense picked up on it regardless. Even then it seems like the point is less "oh, I hid, now he is gone and I can pretend nothing happened" and more "okay, I confused him, now I need to get away while he is distracted." Definitely not something you want to primarily rely on.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

how much tweaking of stuff was done during beta? i keep watching videos that have even jasons with a sense weakness spotting auras from halfway across the map, while the very next video there's a sense strength jason who can't seem to see people one camp over.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

One of the gameplay videos I've watched had some self important streamer dicklicker explaining how the fast black girl could evade Jason forever by running in circles around a car during one build but from the looks of things they updated it later so if your fear is too high you have a chance of stumbling. It's hard to say for sure though, haven't actually found any patch notes of stuff so I'm going off old posts.

I wouldn't worry that much about dumb streamer tricks, even DbD's team, as indecisive and naval gazing as they are, fixed that stuff fairly quickly. I'd focus more on the number of mechanics and their interactions. That currently shows a fair bit of thought and love.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

guys what if jason is pepe le pew

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ComposerGuy posted:

The game seems designed around the idea that, all other things being equal (player competence, etc.), matches end with a couple of survivors.

It isn't "If Jason doesn't kill literally everyone he loses", it's degrees of winning or losing, with 100 percent kill rates as a "perfect" victory and thus rare.

Rightfully so I think. There's always at least one survivor in the movies after all.

this is ostensibly the idea in dead by daylight as well but the reality of the situation in that game was that if the killer can catch one survivor with anything resembling efficiency, a clean sweep is guaranteed. it's pretty reasonable for DbD vets to be wary of the imbalances with how blatantly screwy it was in that game.

that said, this game has a couple of critical differences. jason takes a good 5 minutes, a quarter of the maximum time for the match, to unlock his nastiest trick (shift), and something closer to 8 to reach full power. survivors have a minimap that can show the position of their allies. a sensible voice chat feature is in on day one. it is possible and reasonable to actually impede and affect the killer. the maps are much, much larger. i'm entirely positive that as a survivor you'll run into a lot of situations where your situation is doomed and you can juke all you like, you will not escape Jason unless the player makes a big mistake. i've already seen a half-dozen such situations in youtube footage. the key difference between the impression I get from F13 and DbD, though, is that this doomed situation is not ubiquitous. in DbD if you get spotted by the killer, you are done, one hundred percent cooked unless the killer is a bonehead. in F13 if you get killed in the first five minutes that is one hundred percent on you, and even after that point you have a couple of options, albeit poorer ones.

at this point the only major balance change i think i would make is to itemize some anti-anxiety meds or something to effectively do to fear what a first aid spray does to health. stealth, after it's blown, seems incredibly difficult to re-acquire and something that would simply zero your fear after you've gotten away from direct LOS would help evade sense.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you would think that everyone would want to play the killer exclusively, but in DbD that turned out not to be true. this remained the case even though the killer was hosting (and always had the best connectivity experience) and was trivially easy to win, and therefore get more blood points (xp) to level up anything you wanted. it was much easier to get a game going by simply going killer because so many people were bopping around as survivor.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ComposerGuy posted:

I have no doubt it's going to get serious run on twitch.
yeah, DbD was humongous on twitch and this game looks better put together overall

FunkMonkey posted:

I think both sides look fun in their own way, but most people are probably going to want to be the big scary guy with power over others.
again, per DbD's overall distribution, this turns out to not be the case. when games were difficult to get, they were always more difficult to get for the survivors.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Not sure what you mean by the DbD survivor meta. The game blatantly favors the killer outside of some busted as hell perk combos that are mostly fixed promptly. At its core whenever a chase starts the survivor is toast unless the killer screws up. They actually released data on a couple of their streams showing that the killer was earning about as much as all survivors combined for almost half of all games played despite the fact that there's, you know, 4 survivors.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Also, for what it's worth, here are all of the perks. They look uniformly uninspiring outside of Restful and Marathon: http://fridaythe13th.gamepedia.com/Perks#/search

Low Profile apparently only works while crouching which means it's functionally useless after you're spotted

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 26, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i somehow think that the 'less hit points' and 'less defense' weaknesses are going to turn out being entirely toothless on jason since who the gently caress wants to step to that with anything less than a shotgun to begin with

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

FunkMonkey posted:

They will probably offer the Savini skin as paid DLC a few months or so down the line after the backers get a fair amount of exclusive access. That's SOP for a lot of these things in other games.

per the wiki:

quote:

He is an exclusive DLC that was only sold on the Kickstarter and Backerkit stores. He will NOT be sold again by the developers. He was available on the Backerkit store for $6.

those of us that largely ignored this game's development/didn't hear about this offer are out of luck, my dude

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah it's a shame but i envision myself enjoying counselor a lot more anyway so i'm not exactly broken up about it

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the gypsy always said i'd die to a drunken chef

never knew how right she was

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Eh, if this game is successful they could always just make a Nightmare on Elm-street style clone.

i'm pretty sure i told you this is what would happen when you brought this up in mumble, hahaha

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's a pity nobody bothered to record their attempts at figuring out a jason kill, i am one hundred percent positive there's some group of people that loaded up with a friendly jason that would just gently caress around and act like a punching bag while people tried to do weird things. at the absolute least it'd be interesting to see if his mom has anything fun to say when someone tries to gently caress around with the sweater, or fire off a flare in the shack in an attempt to burn it down.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'm pretty sure it's worse than that, i think it's whenever someone shows up on the shack's island; otherwise someone going for a 20 minute win could swim out there the second they hear rage unlock and cop a silent squat as far away from jason as feasibly possible, in order to give themselves the best chance of evading Sense. but as it stands, heading to the shack at all is a death wish. momma basically kicks off an alert when you screw around at the edge of the map, completely surrounded by water.

i mean that conversely implies that there's something cool there that's worth the risk if you know exactly what you're doing, because jason has no need for the area and the councilors are basically forbidden from going there. so why does it exist? maybe just as a massive troll, but maybe not.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you have a sense of how much punishment they meted out after they found that out?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

good, it's been a long time since we had a good urban legend about video games

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

Weird how the 15% sense resist costs more CP than the 50% sense resist.

the 50% one only functions while crouching, which if gameplay videos are anything to go by, you generally don't want to do because you're slow enough as it is

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Having a Jason talk like Mickey Mouse was one of the funniest experiences I've ever had.

this game will be a great tonic for sales of anime girl voice changers

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

We had a guy as counselor talk like elmo the whole time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SjY6AmRXVM

this owns

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

We left Elmo to die. I didn't regret it.

i'll admit it got pretty real for me about halfway through when elmo started talking about how he couldn't get hurt in sesame street and describing the very novel experience of bleeding

then it got funny again when jason showed up

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Dashie is 100% shtick - but I thought his streams of it were amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRPljNO7x2A

you know normally i hate it when streamers yell but dashie's entire thing seems to be that he's SO drat HAPPY TO BE HERE and i just can't hate that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

seems like most of the streamers that did well with hitting jason would only try to hit him after he missed a strike or a grab

well, the ones that didn't just whack him while he was grabbing someone else, anyway.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The issue with weapons in Beta was that the stats were never really defined so people had no idea what they did. If you didn't have high luck all grabbing a weapon does pretty much is calm your character down, so they're less scared and won't make as much noise for Jason to home in on. Characters with high luck and weapons can actually stun Jason and they should really be the only ones making a swing at him

i don't think any councilor has both high strength and high luck (well, probably excepting Jarvis, but he doesn't count). the only 2 i see with over 5 str is adam and buggzy, both with 2 luck. was luck really important for attacking jason?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 12, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

haha what i'm reading from that is that the dorky looking guy with a sweater around his shoulders is probably a better fighter than buggzy just because who the absolute gently caress wants to stick around and brawl with jason

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

why would that be a thing in a game about jason voorhees

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

what movie was that in? i am honestly clueless to this.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Drunken Baker posted:

I'm going to book a half day holiday for Friday if I can. Hahaha.
A middle aged man. Taking time off work. To play a video game.

Well worth it. :murder:

dang son taking time off work to enjoy your life

poo poo's verboten yo

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Im just excited to see some of the streams from the game. I laughed my rear end off throughout the beta.

yeah i normally don't watch gameplay videos AT ALL but i lost about a week of evenings to hunting down beta footage from streamers when i found this thread. even if i'm too busy to pick it up and play this weekend, i'll be relaxing with a beer and some potato chips watching someone play. probably that one cat tinfoil posted earlier who is one hundred percent schtick but his schtick is very excited and happy to be here black guy so it's a fun schtick

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

FROM DOWNTOWN! BOOM SHAKALAKA!

i wanna dub madworld commentary over this instead

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if someone has a soundboard for them i know how i'm going to gussy up my recorded rounds for youtubb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

holy gently caress i didn't expect to actually get one out of that

this owns, thank you surge

• Locked thread