Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
candy crush has 50x the players of either game but that doesn't mean that game's enjoyable at all

(it's the skinner box effect - DbD has one hell of a skinner box)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

mateo360 posted:

as someone with a background in psychology, not see the skinner box in DbD

well whatever you call the feedback loop from seeing numbers go up and poo poo because that is literally what people talk about, endlessly, using those words, exactly, on their toxic as gently caress forums

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you should see the marvel heroes thread

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh lord its still going? The thread I mean.

it's a thing of beauty

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ultimately a counselor in F13 has agency. there's places they can go, things they can do, tricks they can pull to delay jason and drag things out. yes, ultimately, if jason tunnels the poo poo out of them they are completely, 100% doomed. but you have the power to make jason spend time, and ultimately he only has 20 minutes.

in DbD, a survivor has very little agency. they can run away, at a pace that is constantly and consistently slower than the killer's, and they have about 3 interactions with the environment, one of which is a timing and skill shot that could really get you the time you need to get distance (dropping a pallet to stun a killer). either those 3 interactions are good enough to defeat a killer's attentions, or they are not. in the former case, well played survivors become something approximating invulnerable. in the latter case, nothing they do really matters. time is not actually limited in DbD. it kinda sorta is because ostensibly people are repairing generators while the killer is distracted, but with how much smaller the maps are it's far from a guarantee that anything is happening. this is doubly true if the killer manages to hurt or down people and survivors get distracted because they scent Altruism points. this happens even at high level play.

when the SA thread was going, i asked for literally 5 months "what, exactly, constitutes good survivor play" and never once got an answer. not even an unsatisfying answer no answer, period. the people defending the game as good would always go quiet and avoid the question. then a few survivor perks got buffed and it became "slot this specific perk loadout, gained from playing dozens of hours, and then run this one of our three interactions."

at no point in F13's life cycle could you not write a few paragraphs on what constitutes good counselor play.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

saying something is bad is barely contained rage

do u know

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so is painting my house, not real convincing

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

SCP: Secret Lab is also quite good for asymmetric horror. the difficulty being, since it is free, it's hard to get a game where there isn't some idiot spamming the microphone or some hyper-reactive kid squeaking into your speakers. it is, however, incredible to start out playing as a 'victim' class and either die horribly to return as a shootyman class (who will probably also die horribly but at least you have a good gun) or barely survive the horrible monsters in front of you to run smack dab into the other idiots who got killed rolling down the hallways as shootyman classes, short on brains and long on boldness.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it rapidly becomes one when you're a d-class, spawned with nothing and scraping by on double-think and luck, and then you turn a corner into a horror from beyond the pale and the only thing you've got going for you is 5% extra movement speed, doors, and fast talk.

i have survived certain rounds because i've made the dude behind an SCP laugh, and others because i've led a homicidal SCP into a screaming fireteam of half-drunk paramilitaries and returned later to scavenge guns and access cards off the cooling corpses.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i think it works fine regardless of jason because there's actual mechanics in F13 whereas DbD is literally less complicated than the game of tag we all played in elementary school. that said, players tend to have a pretty long memory of mechanics and 'feel' so if you did an asset swap it'd crash and burn even if you fixed every bug ever and everything worked super well...because it is an asset swap.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you're just mad you can't ruin a DbD round with science

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

and i mean

fair cop

i would be too