Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

ComposerGuy posted:

NES Jason is legit the scariest Jason has ever been so I'm cool with this.

With the addition of "Stalk," entering a cabin and having Jason unexpectedly appear inside is a legit possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Cuntellectual posted:

What would single player in this even look like?

I'm the opposite, I'm worried it'll be like DbD where there's basically no point in playing if the killer has the slightest idea what they're doing.

Devs have stated the SP update will be in Summer - featuring AI counselors vs you as Jason. There may be themed maps here, or scenarios from the movie, I would think.

If your team has good coordination, skilled players, good aim, and a fair bit of luck, you have a decent shot at surviving. (You probably will not have these things)

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

ComposerGuy posted:

The game seems designed around the idea that, all other things being equal (player competence, etc.), matches end with a couple of survivors.

It isn't "If Jason doesn't kill literally everyone he loses", it's degrees of winning or losing, with 100 percent kill rates as a "perfect" victory and thus rare.

Rightfully so I think. There's always at least one survivor in the movies after all.

The counselor "Jenny" is somewhat designed around this - having extremely high luck and composure. She is designed to be the lone hero at the end, who evades him, makes a daring / close escape, or lands a clutch hit.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Coolguye posted:

this is ostensibly the idea in dead by daylight as well but the reality of the situation in that game was that if the killer can catch one survivor with anything resembling efficiency, a clean sweep is guaranteed. it's pretty reasonable for DbD vets to be wary of the imbalances with how blatantly screwy it was in that game.

that said, this game has a couple of critical differences. jason takes a good 5 minutes, a quarter of the maximum time for the match, to unlock his nastiest trick (shift), and something closer to 8 to reach full power. survivors have a minimap that can show the position of their allies. a sensible voice chat feature is in on day one. it is possible and reasonable to actually impede and affect the killer. the maps are much, much larger. i'm entirely positive that as a survivor you'll run into a lot of situations where your situation is doomed and you can juke all you like, you will not escape Jason unless the player makes a big mistake. i've already seen a half-dozen such situations in youtube footage. the key difference between the impression I get from F13 and DbD, though, is that this doomed situation is not ubiquitous. in DbD if you get spotted by the killer, you are done, one hundred percent cooked unless the killer is a bonehead. in F13 if you get killed in the first five minutes that is one hundred percent on you, and even after that point you have a couple of options, albeit poorer ones.

at this point the only major balance change i think i would make is to itemize some anti-anxiety meds or something to effectively do to fear what a first aid spray does to health. stealth, after it's blown, seems incredibly difficult to re-acquire and something that would simply zero your fear after you've gotten away from direct LOS would help evade sense.

The OP lists ways to reduce fear - which worked well in Beta. People always forgot to turn their flashlights on, wandered off wherever alone constantly, and never prioritized turning lights back on. Basically, they ignored the things they *could* have done to reduce fear, in favor of panicking like they were an actual idiot in a horror movie.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

ComposerGuy posted:

I dunno, I feel like inside is exactly where you want to be oftentimes when Jason spots you just because he has much more limited use of his powers in that situation. He can't morph into a building directly, and his shift is too unwieldy to use inside such tight spaces reliably.

I think pre-rage (so like, the first half of a match) being inside is far and away more preferable when being chased. Locking doors buys you a lot of time, you can trap entrances and if its a big enough cabin, even give Jason the slip more easily because his sense ability only lights up a cabin your inside, not your location in it. Outside, it shows *you*, precisely where you are.

Post-rage I think that probably changes.

This.

With regards to the flashlight, it's not as much as a Jason magnet as you think it would be. If he's close enough to spot it, he's likely in the area hunting someone else who is lit up on his Sense. Turn it off and give him the slip while he chases that Vanessa around the map. It's much better to keep your fear down than to worry Jason might catch a glimpse of your flashlight through a window at medium - long distance.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Captain Beans posted:

What kind of unlocks do you use xp for? All I've seen so far is clothes.

Jason killmoves and perks for counselors. (Slower stamina drain, chance to not be caught in Sense, etc) Also different Jasons and Counselors unlock as your level goes up.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Stuntman posted:

Well, I WAS looking forward to this game...

They also changed it since beta, there seems to be negative stats on them now.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

McSpanky posted:

Does Tommy Jarvis come with all stats maxed as well as the shotgun, or is he just an armed respawn for the next/last person who died?

Stats are all high, not sure if maxed, but he's excellent at all.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Drunken Baker posted:

When calling the cops they also send out a paramedic hearse. Next person to die respawns as Roy from V and can try and rack up some kills of his own before the real Jason guts him.

You can just do this anyway.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Someone did the math once based on the chronology of the Jason movies, character's ages, alleged time passed, etc, and determined that this scene takes place sometime in the 2000's within the Jason universe.

:dance:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Well kids, looks like we know the strengths and weaknesses of all the Jasons now! .....You're still going to play Vanessa, aren't you? *shakes head judgingly*

Jason II
    Strengths
  • Can Run
  • Traps (Starts with more)
  • Morph

Weaknesses
  • Shift
  • Defense
  • Water Speed

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

A devious prick with the laziest headgear I've ever seen on a psychotic murderer. He's everywhere at once and good at flushing out those sneaky types.

Jason III
    Strengths
  • Can Run
  • Weapon Strength
  • Grip Strength

Weaknesses
  • Stun Resistance
  • Sense
  • Stalk

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

He's like a train: huge, powerful, unstoppable. But you can hear him coming a mile away and should be all set if you can stay out of his way.

Jason VI
    Strengths
  • Throwing Knives (starts with some, other have to find)
  • Sense
  • Shift

Weaknesses
  • Defense
  • Can't Run
  • Morph

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Like that ex girlfriend who just won't leave you alone.

Jason VII
    Strengths
  • Sense
  • Water Speed
  • Grip Strength

Weaknesses
  • Can't Run
  • Traps
  • Shift

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Don't let him near you - and for the love of god: Stay. Out. Of. The. Water.

Jason VIII
    Strengths
  • Water Speed
  • Destruction
  • Stalk

Weaknesses
  • Can't Run
  • Grip Strength
  • Sense

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Wow, he really trashed this place. Don't worry I'm 100% sure he's moved on to the oth.....*blood gurgling sounds*

Jason IX
    Strengths
  • Shift
  • Stun Resistance
  • Stalk

Weaknesses
  • Can't Run
  • Less Hit Points
  • Traps

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

SURPRISE! You're dead.

Savini Jason
    Strengths
  • Shift
  • Weapon Strength
  • Destruction

Weaknesses
  • Water Speed
  • Can't Run
  • Grip Strength

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Savini, a haiku by Tinfoil:

One by one the cabins fall
All will turn to ash
He comes now, embrace your end

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 27, 2017

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/857694874946162690

Sorry guys on page 5.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Wanderer posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone in the beta actually tried to do something like form a counselor lynch mob and just rush Jason? I know it doesn't take much for him to kill a counselor through standard attacks, but what happens if he just gets mobbed with baseball bats?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFs2B-QEfSA

People tried, but there were 0 confirmed Jason kills in beta.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Kelp Plankton posted:

There is supposedly a way to win via Jason kill, people think it might have something to do with his mother. Nobody's figured it out yet.

It's probably very difficult and complex to do.

My theory is that it actually cannot be done, and it's just something the devs threw out there to get people to do stupid horror-movie heroics and get killed.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Drunken Baker posted:

We don't talk about toxic waste making him a baby.

A little-known fact is that baby Jason is incredibly dangerous and can easily kill you.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Drunken Baker posted:

He killed my will to live. that's true.

They should have de-volved him into Crispen Glover... then begin dancing.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
People think it has something to do with Pamela's sweater, as they located files within the beta which were names something likes "Pamssweateristhekeytodefeatingjason.file."

My theory will be shown to be true, it will be a massive urban legend about the game itself. People will swear they killed him, but never have video proof. There will be long, convoluted explanations and scenarios which people claim worked, but none will work for anyone else. Your friend will swear his friend said he did it - you'll try with him as a friendly Jason and somehow it won't work.

It's the Tomb Raider nude code.

You cannot kill Jason.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

But feel free to try when I'm playing him.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
They've not actually defined what that means. It could just be a function of how much damage it takes to knock Jason to the ground. (which is different than stunning him, with a flaregun for example.)

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

FunkMonkey posted:

You know every player's first experience playing Jarvis is going to be them beelining for Jason, triumphuntly shooting him in the face, and immediately getting a retaliatory crump.

I said this on page 1, but I cannot blame you for emulating brilliance.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Crabtree posted:

Yeah I stole it from you, what you gonna do about it?

I condone fighting in this thread in the strongest possible terms.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Pre-orders live on STEAM.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/438740/Friday_the_13th_The_Game/

She's already on global top sellers list, 3 hours into it. :getin:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Also, they apparently have collectible audio tapes you can get while exploring the camps. They released a couple of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S45tXCb6F9M

Whoever voices Pamela is a 4.0.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is that Lee from the Walking Dead game?

Doesn't seem so, but I just learned that Tommy Jarvis is voiced by Tommy Jarvis. (Thom Mathews)

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Scalding Coffee posted:

He sure picks some real stinkers. A job is a job, so whatever.

Yeah, "World of Warcraft," "Fallout," "Batman," "Elder Scrolls Online," "Starcraft."

I mean if you're only getting in on 10/20 top selling PC games of all time, what's the point?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am sorry I offended your choice of bad games.

Oh here we go again!

If I had a dime for every time I was told: "It's really weird you are turned on by that Outlast 2 game." or "Honey, please stop masturbating to this demon rape scene!"

I don't need your 2 cents on this dead, gay comedy forum, sir!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Bogart posted:

I want the Walrider to make me have a fake baby thanks to a radio tower

If you ever get yourself into a situation where an actual rape demon has you, it's time for some tough questions.
  • Given that you are in the apocalypse/hell/demonic portal overrun space station, is it worth resisting the rape demon?
  • Is the rape demon even the worst demon around? Perhaps you should count yourself lucky.
  • Are they recruiting new rape demons? It never hurts to express interest.
  • What motivates the rape demon? Is it just pure rape, or dos he/she want you to suffer? Perhaps you could use this information to improve the experience.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Op updated with PC benchmark specs and counselor stat chart.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Alteisen posted:

Well I dunno, I mean can I recruit the demon baby to help me? It is mine after all.

I assume in hell you are always awarded full custody.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Looks like we won't be spoon-fed every piece of information:

https://twitter.com/weskeltner/status/859498302487842817

What is this? 1998? Someone get me a copy of Tips+Tricks so I can get some accurate info.

I actually kind of like this, who wants to try to kill my Jason IX? (you won't) :kheldragar:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

TOOT BOOT posted:

How was the community for this during the beta? Any cheaters? People being angry on the mic?

Once you get a full game, the lobby will stay with everyone once the match is over for the next game. It seems a small enough thing, but I think this helps immensely to reduce the salt levels compared to DbD. You feel like you're all in the same boat together - just with one lucky SOB getting Jason.

The way the voice coms work are clever, people can hear you when you are in proximity (including Jason,) and once you find a walkie-talkie you can communicate with everyone else who has one. (And I think everyone near them as well?)

Couple of salty crybabies who get owned instantly - but they still managed to stick around for the next games in hopes they got Jason to exact their revenge. Few teamkillers, but it was mostly for fun and nothing more than you'd expect.

I didn't see any cheaters, but there were people who developed a workaround once the beta ended so you could continue to play private matches. It says something that the only "cheaters" were just trying to play the game more.

Overall the game setup drives good interaction.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Drunken Baker posted:

I hope I'll be ok playing without a mic. I have a incomprehensible accent and trying to communicate with anyone who isn't Scouse is nigh impossible.

Screaming like a girl while Jason hunts you is the universal language.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Based on the fact that they won't specify what "Less Jason HP" means - I'm going to go ahead and recommend everyone play Jason II or Jason IX at first for maximum murder.

This is because nobody will know how to exploit that weakness, and some counselors may try to figure it out by attacking you. (lol)

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Alteisen posted:

Having a Jason talk like Mickey Mouse was one of the funniest experiences I've ever had.

We had a guy as counselor talk like elmo the whole time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SjY6AmRXVM

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Coolguye posted:

this owns

We left Elmo to die. I didn't regret it.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Dashie is 100% shtick - but I thought his streams of it were amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRPljNO7x2A

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Someone should start a new thread for this cool Friday the 13th game on android.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-trJhAIN7s

looks legit.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I'm going to play the Halloween theme song over my mic and thoroughly confuse all these young millennials and Gen-Z'ers.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Silent Jason is best Jason, and I hope the devs include a permanent Jason mute option.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Negative, multiple maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Basically the last 4-5 posts.

• Locked thread