Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Coolguye posted:

yeah it's a shame but i envision myself enjoying counselor a lot more anyway so i'm not exactly broken up about it

I dunno. I wouldn't really care if the skin was purely cosmetic, but the fact that it's a distinct loadout with it's own strengths and weaknesses kind of bothers me. I hate locking any kind of gameplay behind time-based exclusivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Skoll posted:

This kind of poo poo is honestly why I hate streamers. It only reinforces their e-ego that they actually matter.

In the eyes of video game companies, they are mattering more and more. It's a great way to get your game into the community and get people hyped for it. I think it's actually brilliant and I hope to see it expanded.

I don't understand why people get so butthurt about streamers being successful. I think it's really cool how there's this burgeoning industry of people playing video games professionally, and I hope it grows and continues.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Skoll posted:

I didn't miss the point, I was just saying my own opinion. I don't think anyone needs be told reddit is a cesspit of entitled shitbabies at this point.

Or like, have a dude and his community of 50k children poo poo on it like what just appeared to happen. I don't know, I'm an old :shrug: I don't see a reason why someone should get an early copy of a video game before someone else just because they videotape themselves playing it.

Because they have 50k people watching them. I'm old too, and I don't see a reason someone should care about a streamer getting an early copy of a game.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Nerds are loving insufferable. If a game has DLC skins/characters on day 1 then it's a rip off and they should have been part of the game. But if there isn't DLC they whine too.

Well, now. Hold on. This isn't just a matter of a cosmetic skin being an exclusive backer reward. Each skin for Jason has their own perks and drawbacks. I don't know if this is the case, but if the Savini Jason is a unique character, then I can kind of understand being a little annoyed that a piece of gameplay was locked behind an exclusivity thing.

If the Savini Jason plays exactly like one of the other Jason's available, then yeah, there's not really much reason to whine.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Mister Bup posted:

Different abilities are just being slightly better or worse at one thing or another. Savini Jason has a really strong set of abilities but it's hardly new gameplay.

It's still different than other Jasons, so it plays differently, however slight. I happen to think that's it's not cool to lock anything that has any effect on gameplay or mechanics behind time-locked exclusivity deals when it comes to games.

I'm not going to get my panties in a twist about it, but I think it's a crap practice. If you want to make something exclusive to backers, stick with cosmetic poo poo only.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Unbalanced posted:

Seriously. I'm skimming through that thread and now I hope they never sell Savini Jason again just to piss these people off. I'm a shut-in that fears sunlight and bees and even I have to tell these whiners to get out more.

I don't really understand this vitriol at all. I can get if you disagree with their stance, but their argument is a vaild one. Regardless of whether or not you think the differences are considerable enough to justify this practice, it's still locking a different playing character behind an exclusivity deal, and that's just lovely practice.

If they released another Jason that played exactly the same but looked more generic, I'm positive a large percentage of people complaining about it would be satisfied.

Kamikaze Raider fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Coolguye posted:

the vitriol comes from the fact that it really, really isn't

like if everyone was as collected and measured about it as you are that'd be one thing, but your argument loses validity as your language loses coherence, and these dudes lost coherence from the starting gun.

I guess that just comes down to a difference of opinion then. For me, there is never a justifiable reason to ever lock any portion of your gameplay, however small, behind something that isn't attainable by everyone purchasing the same video game.

I enjoy the game. Not having the Savini Jason isn't going to make me enjoy it less, but I still disagree with the practice on principle.

• Locked thread