Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I take they closed down the beta? The kickstarter says I get beta keys but it doesn't look like they're there now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Beta was like Christmas week-ish and lasted until early in the new year. They've said there will not be another beta.

Ah, that's too bad. I wasn't excited about this until really recently.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Jason VII who cannot run
If you get a minute, I'd be interested in seeing your breakdown of what each Jason's perks are. Unless this is online somewhere, but I haven't seen it.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ah, I get it, thanks! Grip is his grip on counselors, I take it? Do they have a way to break out other than using pocket knives?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Yes, and yes. When you are grabbed you mash "E", Jason has a short period to re-position you for an environment kill or while his fancy kills light up. Jason gets more experience points for doing versatile kills, so sometimes he may be waiting so he can dismember you or w/e. Your chance to escape is a function of the Jason grip strength and your luck stat. Pocketknives instantly deploy and stun Jason for a few moments.

Ah, that makes sense.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

To clarify, you also stun him for a moment when you break free without a pocketknife - enough to get some distance.

I'm not sure of the exact mechanics under the hood - but if Jason caught you a 2nd time, it took a lot longer to break free and was almost always your death.

Yeah, that'd be about what I'd figure. I wouldn't think Jason would be able to scoop you up immediately after, or it'd be pointless. Also, even if there wasn't a game mechanic to support it, I'd figure a Jason grabbing you a second time would go for a quick kill just to avoid having to catch you again.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Kelp Plankton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmuQlmAIq5s

got me that sweet, sweet backer jason skin. wisps of hellfire and satan's pitchfork, good stuff

Yeah, Tinfoil was making fun of people saying shift is overpowered, but I really don't think I'd want Jason to be able to shift directly inside a building and into line of sight of someone and within melee range. Call it OP or not, it's not even the kind of killer Jason is. He's good at being present everywhere and pursuing people, but he doesn't explicitly teleport in the movies. It's a supernatural kind of presence, not some kind of x-man bullshit.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

In theory, you could jump into a cabin this way, but in practice it happens and looks a lot different. It's not common that Jason will just "pop" in front of you using shift - it's mostly used for chasing or juking someone who's trying to clown around a car or fence.

Well, it's not just theory, it happens in that video I quoted. Like Bogart is saying, it should use the L4D rules for not respawning in LOS to a player. Also it seems like the survivor should have broken free, with the progress bar?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmuQlmAIq5s&t=53s

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I meant like in real games, this was obviously staged to show off the kill.

Oh, ok, I didn't realize that. I guess I was expecting to see a staged video from Jason's perspective, and didn't think enough about that.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

FunkMonkey posted:

Like I said previously, I think it's just an ingame ability to be evocative of that classic horror movie jumpscare where the killer just suddenly appears behind the victim after they think he's been juked. Not sure it's supposed to be him literally teleporting. This even happens in some of the Jason films.

Edit: this basically, sorry for tv tropes type link but it illustrates what I mean.

http://allthetropes.wikia.com/wiki/Offscreen_Teleportation
Yes, I too have seen a Friday the 13th movie. Like I said earlier

Skyscraper posted:

He's good at being present everywhere and pursuing people, but he doesn't explicitly teleport in the movies. It's a supernatural kind of presence
The movies aren't so artless as to ever directly raise the question "did he just teleport?", it's expressed more abstractly as "how are they being chased by someone who only ever walks everywhere?" (in the case of non-running Jasons)

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Scalding Coffee posted:

Don't think of it as survivors versus Jason. You are alone and those other people snagged all the pocket knives and smacked you while running from Jason.
That's lovely, and not really a game I want to play.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Scalding Coffee posted:

Such is life in The Zone. You don't need to be violent with other people, but that is an aspect of survival. Killing people also lets you loot their bodies of those items. The game also lasts for 20 minutes at most and the tension might hit harder than Jason, so impatient people will hate the game.
Nah gently caress that.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Skoll posted:

This kind of poo poo is honestly why I hate streamers. It only reinforces their e-ego that they actually matter.

Seriously, this. I know why they do it, it's free marketing, but every time I see streamers marketing a game I can't play, I want to play it less. Wildlands did this too.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Database down, real glad I preloaded.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I figured I'd come back to this game when it was better, but months later, all they're doing is adding new Jasons, and the game still sucks for survivors. Really figured they'd take out the requirement to spectate to actually collect xp, but they sure haven't.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Comfortador posted:

This is Friday the 13th, there should be no survivors.

lololololol

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Naw, they actually made Jason better the past few updates.
oh yeah i guess my post was too long to read

Skyscraper posted:

I figured I'd come back to this game when it was better, but months later, all they're doing is adding new Jasons, and the game still sucks for survivors. Really figured they'd take out the requirement to spectate to actually collect xp, but they sure haven't.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You value your time too much to watch a horror/comedy film spectating go play dead by daylight
If you value your time, play something else!!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Coolguye posted:

the game really does not suck for survivors and up until very recently you had to be dozing off to get grabbed by jason. the pendulum has only recently swung back to being slightly fair to big J. but if you are:

1) very bad at the game
2) really concerned about your XP rating
3) unwilling to just play the game to get XP

you can do the new offline bots mode and get oodles of XP very quickly.

I don't know, I kind of like actually playing the game and just not having to watch after I'm not playing, and getting XP for what I did. Grinding on bots for XP doesn't sound great, or like a thing someone should have to do. Maybe the game was better for survivors for a while, but most of the games I've been in since coming back for the new patches have been complete wipes, not because Jason is unbalanced but just because the survivors can't get any kind of an escape going beyond waiting past the time limit.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

joylessdivision posted:

Have you considered playing with better players because it sounds like you're literally playing with idiots who don't know how to play.
Quick play every time!

Coolguye posted:

The reason you are going to get clowned on in here is because this one post encompasses 3 major misconceptions with how the game is even set up and a healthy dollop of whiny bullshit entitled bullshit that stems from not even using all the tools that are in the game. You're not correct. You're not a martyr. You don't see something everyone else doesn't. They see something you don't.

Please for the love of christ just knock off the horseshit for a split second.

Hey there, dumbfuck friend, why don't you knock off the horseshit for a split second. You're reading a bunch of poo poo into my posts because you're defensive as all hell about your lovely game. If I'm going to get clowned on, it's not by you. If grinding on bots is "using all the tools that are in the game" you have bad ideas about what's good in a game.

Coolguye posted:

Repairs today are easier than ever because parts that are dropped now show up on the big map. Your blockhead teammates are no longer an excuse for not escaping. If you can't see the parts, they're probably not found yet. Go look places you haven't yet. If you do, go get them and do the objective. If the repair minigame itself gives you trouble and that's why you can't get something going, then main Deborah. That's what she's there for.

That works well if you have a map, I haven't seen one, but maybe I'm just spawning wrong to get the randomly placed map (rarer now thanks to this awesome new patch!). I don't have any problem with the repair minigame, though I haven't had a chance to play it yet since the new patch. I didn't have a problem with it in previous versions, and even if I did, that's a thing that a person could Git Gud at, at least.

Coolguye posted:

There's two whole perks in this game, period, that have a serious effect on gameplay
That's fine, I don't care. I didn't know about those perks, I don't know if I'll need them, I seem to recall perks are random-rolled independently of XP? Maybe not, whatever, I want whacky clothing options and the normal poo poo you'd get from XP, playing normally. I can't remember if Jason uses counselor XP, I haven't played him in hours or levelled up in the same. Jason 5 is apparently free to all, so that's cool, still waiting on playing as him.

Coolguye posted:

You're also wrong about how XP is awarded: you will still get XP for the things you did during the match (so repair, escape, etc), you just won't get the +500XP bonus for completing the game.

If you don't want to complete a match, don't complete the drat match. Nobody is putting a gun to your head. If you feel compelled to sit at a spectator screen because of 500 XP, run 5 minutes of bot matches (seriously, the bots are so dumb you can clean-sweep in 5 minutes) before playing online and understand that you've evened out all the XP you're going to lose for that evening. XP literally only matters in the context of getting Medic and Grease Monkey so beyond that there's no point beyond cosmetics - you can satisfy that particular piece of OCD with a quick bot match.

Yep, being pedantic isn't helping. That 500 XP is literally 10 times more than what I got from in-game actions (per-game, I think I made 500 XP in a few hours of gameplay just normally), and apparently the XP level requirements are based on that. People shouldn't have to grind on bots to fix that, the fact that you need to advocate for that means your game has a problem. Paying out XP only to people who watch doesn't make the game better, and it's easy to come up with a better way of distributing it, which should have happened by now.

DeathChicken posted:

I have Start With Map on everyone by default, since immediately knowing where the car is means immediately knowing where Jason is probably going to be a few seconds in. And not losing minimap on fear, because losing your map while on the run is just the worst :colbert:

Those both sound like pretty cool options.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Sir this is an Arby's drive through

oh sorry i was discussing the game that this thread is about
gently caress right off with this

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I just don't know how much discussion your going to get calling the game lovely and whining about your xp bar when that's not really the point of the game.

I'm not whining about my XP bar, I'm whining about the idea that the XP from the match is contingent on me watching Jason kill off the other players. That's some bullshit that should have been fixed way earlier, especially when the game already incentivizes you to stick around by giving you a chance to play Tommy Jarvis. Or, if you're a fan of the game, is just fun to watch.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Coolguye posted:

could you please point to the thing where i'm being 'defensive'?
sure ok

Coolguye posted:

You don't need to do it nor is it even remotely required. That is you saying that.
If you don't want to complete a match, don't complete the drat match. Nobody is putting a gun to your head.
The reason you are going to get clowned on in here is because this one post encompasses 3 major misconceptions with how the game is even set up and a healthy dollop of whiny bullshit entitled bullshit that stems from not even using all the tools that are in the game. You're not correct. You're not a martyr. You don't see something everyone else doesn't. They see something you don't.

Someone criticizes some poo poo that YOU DON'T EVEN THINK MATTERS and suddenly they're a martyr who sees something everyone else doesn't and is acting like someone put a gun to their head. You're crazy defensive over flaws in a game that you don't think matter. Someone who wasn't drinking the koolaid might be like "hey yeah that sucks they should fix that", especially someone with as little stake as people past the point where they actually gain something from xp*

Coolguye posted:

you have expressed discontent with this game for reasons that haven't been true for months and you're acting very churlish about it.

Not true for months? I haven't played this game for months, I'm just now picking it back up and expecting something different. Did I somehow play a build that is months old? Is my steam patcher broken?

Coolguye posted:

but you're obviously really really dedicated to being the offended, martyred party
Bitch, you were throwing bullshit like this right out the gate after I so much as said that the game wasn't working for me, so gently caress right off with your ideas of "offended".

*I think this is a thing, I haven't looked at the F13 xp ladder enough to be sure, and also don't care enough to do that.

Burkion posted:

Skyscraper, what the gently caress do you play this game on

Because if it's steam, jump into a goon game some time.

Your friend Burk would love to show you how the game works
Burk <3
Full disclosure: I got a number of you actually on my friends list and I'm in the F13 group and I've played with people (not you specifically) from here before, I just wanted to evaluate the game 100% on the experience I get when I hit quickplay, like I was someone who just bought it and/or wanted to see if the new patch fixed anything.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Burkion posted:

See, the patch you wanted was the patch just before this one, where Jason was turned into kind of a joke

Now the best way to deal with Jason is to kill him

Well, it's cool that they made that easier, I guess. They didn't talk about it in the patch notes.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Coolguye posted:

are you not paying attention to your own posting, friend? the entire reason i felt it required to emphasize this is because you were already posting very aggressively with others and i felt a refocus was required.
A refocus? Nah, gently caress you. You got angry and started namecalling, and you want to pretend you were just "refocusing" it.

Coolguye posted:

you are the one who decided namecalling was the greatest way to handle the issue, both before
Prove it.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Coolguye posted:

homie i have no idea where you come from where you think this is constructive

there's more a few pages back but i'm done already, thx
So no, then, you've got nothing. You could have just said "I've got nothing, sorry" like you could have said "yeah this game has problems, they should fix them" but nope, neither.

How many pages back, would you say I posted? I'll go ahead and look, if you'd like, I might be totally forgetting that.

Comfortador posted:

I'm not looking to join any blanket party, but you did kind of bust in here talking about the game being lovely, but the way you were describing it seemed outdated or just plain wrong. There are also static Map stations where you can a map if you're not having luck with the drawers.

It should be really hard for the counselors to survive the match, the material it's based on is known for either no one surviving or one person living through the trauma scarred for life. I mean why would you play a first person shooter if you hate the fact that you can't see your dude? Why play Madden if you hate sports? It just seems part and parcel for what you signed up for.
Outdated, how? I haven't played in months, it's a fresh experience.
If there are map stations, that's awesome, and actually a good idea. I never got the memo, maybe having played before meant it didn't tell me about them?
I guess ultimately maybe having played it before is a detriment to the idea of a fresh experience, my previous games have taught me to stay away from roads and other players and anywhere I think Jason is going to show up, and maybe I'm missing map stations and new content.

I signed up for what I played in the alpha, and it was pretty good, and if they had left it, whatever, and if they're going to patch it, they should fix that stuff too. My criticisms of gameplay take a backseat here to the idea that I need to watch other players to get XP, because that's a bunch of intentional bullshit to make gross people feel good. I can understand that balance changes won't always go the way I'd like, but this isn't related to balance at all, it's just a bad design decision.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 20, 2018

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Coolguye posted:

so yeah you either grew up in a place where it's perfectly fine to treat other people like poo poo because they're not you or you're just pretending like you did because that's somehow easier for you to handle than just being wrong about something

bro you do you in the end, i probably missed a datestamp when i hit your question mark a minute ago so hey i could be wrong about that one. i'm fine with missing a date stamp. but you should prly make your peace with acting like a child because you made a mistake though. goes right in with all that other poo poo you refuse to acknowledge because your feelings are hurt, should take a look at all that too.

to get you started on that one: how can i be that mad about a game i haven't even played for months

that doesn't even make sense

Oh, weird, it looks like you just said I was raised poorly instead of admitting that your dumb rear end immediately started namecalling someone who criticized A Video Game because either you mistook me for someone else who you were already namecalling a few pages back (not me) or because the holes in your brain told you it was an appropriate response.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Coolguye posted:

dude for real how do you figure you are acting reasonably in this entire thing

like please explain this poo poo to me how you expected this to go because you were acting like an rear end from the start and you've done nothing but quadruple down

Whoaaaa you just keep forgetting the part where you immediately started insulting me and then couldn't come up with the namecalling I'd supposedly done to set you off, and then the part where you made up some past posts where I talked poo poo. You keep sliding right past where that happened.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Coolguye posted:

i'm really not, you're really up on this idea that there was no reason for anyone to look sideways at you but multiple people have and did because you were in fact talking poo poo while not knowing what you were talking about

this is what i'm talking about when i say projection
Wait, was I talking poo poo about A VIDEO GAME, or was it

quote:

you are the one who decided namecalling was the greatest way to handle the issue,
did I start recently, or was it a few pages ago? Did you maybe make something up? Did you get confused, and say something you shouldn't have? It sure sounds like you're someone who is

Coolguye posted:

in fact talking poo poo while not knowing what you were talking about

This thread isn't benefiting from you humping my leg, and I can see that you'll never stop, never admit that you got really mad over video games, won't even admit that you just got me confused with someone you didn't like, so I'm going to stop replying to you.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

VolticSurge posted:

We'd like you to stop posting in this thread altogether,thanks.

Sorry I said bad things about your game.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Regrettable posted:

It's because you're a whiny bitch, HTH.
oh no got me

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

TheBizzness posted:

Man I was so excited when I saw 45 new replies but welp, just a guy who doesn’t like the game typing paragraph after paragraph telling us why we are wrong for enjoying it.

Ok guy you got us the game is terrible and sucks. Bye!

Not even saying that, just that it has problems. That's apparently THE WORST THING EVER.
But sure, terrible, I'm crying, I'm literally so sad here and I guess entitled and also whiny and literally a martyr.

Archenteron posted:

I don't know about the alpha but the original release maps all had map stations on them. Haven't played the newer maps to know if they all have that.
I should have known that. I've been playing bad this whole time.

Also

DeathChicken posted:

Now trapping the map station could be good for a giggle
This is genius. Does anyone ever do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Aw, cute, Coolguye likes me enough to spend money to cry about it.

Ghostpilot posted:

Or you could go into combat stance and block.

weekly font posted:

You dummies know that a hard swing in combat stance has tracking, right?

It seems like combat stance is really a thing, and I saw they put it in but never learned to use it, and maybe it's important for counselors and Jason? Earlier it seemed like the best move was running away, and the game was about it, but I keep seeing successful counselors relying on grouped melee combat.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread