Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I might have cocked up.

Got a nice pork tenderloin that I am going to server for dinner. Filled it with some nuts and cranberries, then rolled bacon around it and wrapped the whole thing in foil with a cooking thermometer in it.
The plan was to slow cook it, since I heard that makes it really moist and juicy (I think that is the correct term?). It's now 13:41/1:41 PM, guests are coming for dinner at 16/4 pm, and the thermometer says 65*C, and claims it is done in 20 minutes. I severely underestimated the time it would take. Oven started at 125*C, it's now at 100*C, but I am afraid I will make it horribly dry if I keep turning down the heat.

So the big question I need help with is: What do I do with the cooked meat to prevent it from drying out in the next 2 hours? It is cooked in foil with bacon around it, do I just take it out and let it rest on the counter for 2 hours? Sounds sort of unsafe with bacteria growth...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
Finish it in the microwave? In a covered non-metal dish.

I know this sounds like sacrilege, but starting or finishing something in the micro isn't the worst thing in the world. If you try to go from start to finish with microwaving you'll get a sub par result.

Honestly tho, wrapped in bacon and then foil? I don't think you'll be drying out anytime soon. Water will escape as steam but all the grease/fat/oil won't go anywhere.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dunno-Lars posted:

I might have cocked up.

Got a nice pork tenderloin that I am going to server for dinner. Filled it with some nuts and cranberries, then rolled bacon around it and wrapped the whole thing in foil with a cooking thermometer in it.
The plan was to slow cook it, since I heard that makes it really moist and juicy (I think that is the correct term?). It's now 13:41/1:41 PM, guests are coming for dinner at 16/4 pm, and the thermometer says 65*C, and claims it is done in 20 minutes. I severely underestimated the time it would take. Oven started at 125*C, it's now at 100*C, but I am afraid I will make it horribly dry if I keep turning down the heat.

So the big question I need help with is: What do I do with the cooked meat to prevent it from drying out in the next 2 hours? It is cooked in foil with bacon around it, do I just take it out and let it rest on the counter for 2 hours? Sounds sort of unsafe with bacteria growth...

A 2-hour rest at room temperature is not going to turn your pork tenderloin into a bacterial holocaust, especially since it's already out of the "danger zone" (4-60*C). In fact, since it's wrapped in bacon, I'd say let it rest until the guests arrive, then broil it (maybe you call it "grilling" since you use Celsius and might be from the UK?) to crisp that bacon up.

It will be fine, and it will be tasty.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Ok, end result.

Took it out of the oven when it hit 71*C, since my mom was one of the people eating it and she is hysterical about undercooked pork.

Let it rest for the two hours, then just heated it a bit before serving, up to 50*C. It fell down to 43*C while resting, the thermometer was in the whole time. Quite a bit of juices escaped it, and it ended up dry. Not sure if it was the long wait, the reheating or the high temperature, but it wasn't the worst I have had, nor made. Tasted very good.

A bit sad now that I didn't think about putting it under the grill/broiler to crispen the bacon, that is a great idea. Thank you, I will do that the next time. I have another 3 tenderloins that I should eat within a few months, all vacuum sealed and frozen.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
You should check out the sous vide thread for next time. Pork tenderloin is pretty amazing done SV and you'll have no issues with it drying out - guaranteed!

• Locked thread