Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Vikar Jerome posted:

oh god, 150cc in single player is fun as gently caress. i had been playing 50cc and almost lapping the cpu and it was just loving boring. they were not kidding about high speed thrills.

do 200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Drunk Tomato posted:

Wow goon tourney died quickly! No one in it for weeks, really? C'mon Goonies!

might be able to get it going again now that disconnects should be mitigated (since the patch yesterday), if we post enough in here and in the switch thread asking for ppl to join :)

i know i joined maybe 2/5 times I considered it before, because I knew most of the time I would not actually get in the right room/would get DCed

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah I've been hopping in at what I would consider a good time and it's empty.

I usually pop in two or three times a week right around 8pm Central.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

i'm not ready yet, i'll know when its time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is multiplayer cross platform between Wii U and switch or are they separate?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Separate. The Switch one has slightly different mechanics from the Wii U one--no fire hopping, dual item carry, purple boost.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

.TakaM posted:

I already unlocked the pikmin amiibo suit before this update???

I think the update makes the game compatible with the Pikmin amiibo coming out with the new game. It's worded strangely.

Edit: if you play local multiplayer for the first time after starting the game, it always has smart steering automatically on for players 2-4 and that is really stupid I wish they would change that.

Also my wife and I keep hitting bananas that aren't actually visible until we are right in front of them. It's like the image hasn't loaded until it's impossible to avoid. Happened twice in the hour we played tonight.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 30, 2017

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Who's down for some kartin????

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!

bizarre deformity posted:

Also my wife and I keep hitting bananas that aren't actually visible until we are right in front of them. It's like the image hasn't loaded until it's impossible to avoid. Happened twice in the hour we played tonight.

Are you sure you're not just getting owned on thrown bananas landing right in front of you?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Deltron 3030 posted:

Are you sure you're not just getting owned on thrown bananas landing right in front of you?

Yeah I don't see them landing they literally just materialize. It happened to me when nobody was close enough for that to happen.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Vikar Jerome posted:

i'm not ready yet, i'll know when its time.

Some tracks on 200cc are balls and not very fun*, but others become insanely fun.

Dolphin Shoals, SNES Rainbow Road, Excitebike, Wild Woods, Mario Stadium, Baby Park, and Ribbon Road are some of my favorites for 200cc.

*fun may improve as your skills do.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Three starring every 150cc race plus enough coins basically unlocks everything right?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I believe you need to get gold cups in all of 200cc to unlock gold Mario.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Some tracks on 200cc are balls and not very fun*, but others become insanely fun.

Dolphin Shoals, SNES Rainbow Road, Excitebike, Wild Woods, Mario Stadium, Baby Park, and Ribbon Road are some of my favorites for 200cc.

*fun may improve as your skills do.

200cc Neo Bowser City, Bananas only :getin:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
supposedly it is lag not showing the item the character is holding behind, but I keep thinking I ding a character with a red shell, it shows a quick animation, but they quickly recover.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ineffiable posted:

Three starring every 150cc race plus enough coins basically unlocks everything right?

You have to get at least one star on every cup on Mirror to get one of the gold items. And beat all the Time Trial ghosts for another. The last one just requires 5000 coins.

Coming in first in every cup on 200cc unlocks Gold Mario. I thought there was going to be a 200cc mirror mode but I think that may have been a translation error?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is there any reason to try and beat the 200cc time trial ghosts? Do I unlock anything?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is there any reason to try and beat the 200cc time trial ghosts? Do I unlock anything?

Nope. Just for fun.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

You unlock feelings of accomplishment and self satisfaction.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

pixaal posted:

You unlock feelings of accomplishment and self satisfaction.

I've never experienced these feelings

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How is the race speed determined when playing online? It keeps forcing me to do 100cc races which are so slow it's driving me crazy

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

How is the race speed determined when playing online? It keeps forcing me to do 100cc races which are so slow it's driving me crazy

Random choice of 100 or 150cc until you reach over 3000 VR, then it's 150, mirror, or 200

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

that ivy guy posted:

Random choice of 100 or 150cc until you reach over 3000 VR, then it's 150, mirror, or 200

Correct but it's also mostly 150cc at that level. One of the latest updates lowered the chances of mirror and 200cc games which is nice.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ugh 3000? That's gonna take a while. Oh well, I need like 1700 more coins to get the gold glider so I will do it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ugh 3000? That's gonna take a while. Oh well, I need like 1700 more coins to get the gold glider so I will do it

Did you grind for coins? I'm almost at 6000 and have like 700 to go before I get that.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
My rating is up to 3400 or so but I still rarely see 150cc. I often get tossed into games with 1000 rated people though. Should I be playing worldwide instead of North American regional or something? Does the average in the room need to be over 3k rating or what?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, I play worldwide and I'm always put into rooms with high average ratings. As soon as I hit 3000, I quit out and went back in and immediately I was dumped into a room where the average must have been 4k-5k and everyone knew what they were doing and even if you didn't get hit by any shells a single mistake could still get you severely punished.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Interesting. The one time I tried world wide mode the lag issues were terrible. I was getting that issue where you get nothing but coins no matter your position and stuff like that. That was before the most recent patch though so maybe it's improved.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Did you grind for coins? I'm almost at 6000 and have like 700 to go before I get that.

My wife and I played through every cup on 50, 100 and 150. Then I went back and got three stars on all the 150 courses, and on mirror, and beat all the cups on 200. That got me to ~3300.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/seanmcbay/status/886701082247811072

Did this person cheat? I don't understand how a score like this would be possible.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Let's see, on that date it would be 80 days since release, so the guy would have to average just under 1000 VR per day. Improbable but not really impossible if he had no life otherwise.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Even more than cause when you massively outrank everyone you don't get 20-25 points a game more like 7. This person has been playing non stop since release for....ok they're sad.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I dodged a blue shell because I was right next to someone else using a star :stare:

Baby Park obviously

Signor
Oct 10, 2005
Huzzah!
Anyone Kartin?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Signor posted:

Anyone Kartin?

Everyone is splattin this weekend.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just got this and my rear end is getting kicked hard. This game has no handholding for new players at all lol. Then I tried battle mode and it doesn't even explain what the rules of each mode is (I havent played mario kart since N64)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

blue squares posted:

I just got this and my rear end is getting kicked hard. This game has no handholding for new players at all lol. Then I tried battle mode and it doesn't even explain what the rules of each mode is (I havent played mario kart since N64)

There’s a pretty decent guide on the main screen under “info”. Read all that stuff there. Also explains each battle mode.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

if the smart steering and auto acceleration options aren't hand holding then I dunno what is..

They just updated the game btw guys, only one piranha plant can exist at a time now, they extended some of the invulnerability periods and you're even more likely to get better items the worse your position

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Auto-accel is in no way hand-holding, it's just a comfort option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Not sure why you would ever let off the throttle in MK anyway

• Locked thread