Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Norns posted:

Not sure why you would ever let off the throttle in MK anyway

200cc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

You can use the brake and drift still no reason to lift off even at 200

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Norns posted:

You can use the brake and drift still no reason to lift off even at 200

Letting go of gas cancels your miniboost. Braking doesn’t cancel it unless you’re basically standing still. Some corners require drifting to make it through but the miniboost afterwards can send you over the edge.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah sometimes you need 1/2 stop in a way that the breaks are overkill, letting up for a moment on the gas is better and drives a little different.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

You guys are probably faster than me but I managed to clear all the 200cc stuff with auto throttle.

I'll try out what you guys are doing if I ever pry the loving thing away from my wife. drat you stardew!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Did anyone figure out of a drift burst gets cancelled prematurely if you do like a hop burst in the middle of it?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/1stLethalGeek/status/930658418523766784?s=17

Make some goon clips!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/1stLethalGeek/status/930684933865136128
Weee!

https://twitter.com/1stLethalGeek/status/930685035463761921
I'm mad I pulled the inside of those turns for once only to have the smartass ahead of me be good enough to do it too!!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/1stLethalGeek/status/934222954786799616

Play more Mario Kart!

https://twitter.com/1stLethalGeek/status/934223028778500096

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Do we still have goons playing this? I should be getting my Switch next week and I'm thinking of grabbing this game so I can get murdered by everyone's red and blue shells again.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I asked for a joinable role in the Nintendo discord to help get goons together. It's been some time since I've checked in on the goon tourney but it's probably been dead a while.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

That's what I figured when I saw the thread hadn't been posted in for over a month.

Well, I'll probably be picking this up anyway, so hopefully we can get some races going at some point. I guess I could always play against pubbies, but eh. Local multiplayer isn't going to work, because nobody will play Mario Kart against me anymore unless I've handicapped myself by getting extremely drunk. :v:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Best bet is to throw your friend code out and see who you randomly catch online sometimes after the rest of us (maybe :effort:) add you. Game is still played but not like launch. More least always a game to get into publicly online. I don't poke around the custom rules match making cause I find it's usually dumb poo poo.

The nintendo discord for goons is also good but idk how do really do any of that cause I rarely touch it.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
The tournament was dead after like month 3. Which is a shame, I wish more goons played this gam more regularly. I'd for sure join in to the tournament if there were ever any matches.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I always play in public games. Friend me and join my games, guys.:)

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I wouldn't mind the occasional get-together. Like, once a month, someone hosts a room and we all just pile in or something.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Maple Leaf posted:

I wouldn't mind the occasional get-together. Like, once a month, someone hosts a room and we all just pile in or something.

I’d be down for that too. Unfortunately getting into goon rooms rarely worked for me on both the Wii U and Switch version.:(

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Playing Mario Kart 8 feels better than ever on Switch. I spent a few hours racing against pubbies and got a total of 19 top-3 finishes (11 wins) out of 28 races and never finished out of the top 5, which really isn't how I remember the online mode from vanilla MK8. There were many races I lost due to Mario Kart bullshit (I particularly enjoyed the race where I took the lead twice and immediately got clobbered with a blue shell both times), but surprisingly I was one of the best players in the lobby if not the best.

We really need to get some goon races going so I can get the true Mario Kart experience again. :v:

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

I remember having a lot of fun racing against goons back in the Wii U days but haven't had a chance to play in MK8 Deluxe so I'd love to get in on that if it gets up and running.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Doc Morbid posted:

Playing Mario Kart 8 feels better than ever on Switch. I spent a few hours racing against pubbies and got a total of 19 top-3 finishes (11 wins) out of 28 races and never finished out of the top 5, which really isn't how I remember the online mode from vanilla MK8. There were many races I lost due to Mario Kart bullshit (I particularly enjoyed the race where I took the lead twice and immediately got clobbered with a blue shell both times), but surprisingly I was one of the best players in the lobby if not the best.

We really need to get some goon races going so I can get the true Mario Kart experience again. :v:

It takes a while, but once you hit a 3000 rating you start getting put in lobbies that are primarily 150cc and where everyone is actually really good and where you get punished for making a single mistake even if you never get hit by a shell.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I thought I was prepared for 200cc mode. I really wasn't. :stonklol:

edit: I'm finding that as long as you manage to take the lead and stay there or thereabouts without getting turbofucked by shells, 200cc is not too bad because the AI keeps loving up their driving lines and falling off the track. If you drop back into the pack, though, you might as well restart the cup.

Speaking of which, having a retry option would really be appreciated, but since that is a nice anti-frustration feature it has no place in Mario Kart (except in the original, 64 which even had infinite retries, and Super Circuit). Nintendo probably thinks they can sell more controllers to players who have smashed theirs after getting blue-shelled at the finish line yet again. :v:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

None of us were prepared for the insanity of 200cc, it was glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p73PZIDQuA

• Locked thread