Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

basic hitler posted:

It's a drat shame that Obama didnt rescind his secretary of state offer after the election.

I'm pretty sure that's a promise he had to keep to prevent the Clinton's from sabotaging his presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

basic hitler posted:

how would a then-irrelevant clinton family pull that off. 2008-2012 was basically an absentee secretary of state abusing her cabinet position to rebuild her powerbase

Were the Clintons really THAT irrelevant in 2008?

I'm asking because I wasn't really into politics back then.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

basic hitler posted:

Basically yeah they were. Hillary was balls-deep into her 2nd wet fart term as a NY Senator and had very little to show for it, because Obama stole her loving thunder.

She took the consolation prize and the opportunity it presented as a means to consolidate power and make sure plenty of dems owed her favors by the time 2016 rolled around. By 2016 the only person who wasn't in deep to the Clintons was also the person who very nearly (and rightfully should have) stolen the nomination from her. She wasn't gonna let another fire-spitting minority best her master plan to resurrect Goldwater though.

2020 is going to be bonkers.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

VideoTapir posted:

This has been bugging me for a while, couldn't remember who this was or precisely when, finally found it:

"I'm not endorsing Hillary Clinton because she's a woman, now let me talk about nothing but how her being a woman makes her a better candidate!"

The beauty part is, this was probably the best argument anyone ever made for voting for Hillary Clinton. Too bad she never presented any evidence that Hillary Clinton actually resembled her ideal woman candidate.

"I believe there’s still some gender issues at work. They’re more subtle than they used to be. Now, nobody is going to say, "I won’t vote for a woman," like a barber said to me in Springfield, Vermont."

*Says sexism is more "subtle" then immediately gives an example of blatant sexism*

And obviously trying to grab people by the emotions. "You aren't a sexist....are you?"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

basic hitler posted:

Hillary Clinton was bad. There are people who exist who absolutely know what's going on with her, know what she really stands for, knows she's trying to placate the working class while telling them to go gently caress themselves, deliberately trying to undermine the labor left, and deliberately using wedge social issues a president has next to no power to influence, and outright lying about her position on theses things, and they still supported her. I hate them way more than I hate Hillary Clinton. There are SA posters who fit this bill, and sometimes I wish a name-and-shame was something I could do without eating a bucket of poo poo. because everyone who likes Hillary Clinton should get owned on the internet and hosed up in real life. I pray for the financial ruin, emotional distress and pain, bad luck, and eventually their premature death from the stress and pain of a vengeful God, my God, ruining their lives for ultimately wanting to elect a woman who actively wants to harm this country and its working classes.

I know we're talking about this dumb election book, but I like to think that in our lifetimes, we'll get a real tell-all book.

I still can't believe a few of my gay friends, who are the hillary supporters you're describing, still say they're afraid of Trump literally sending goons to come round them up. I mean, it was stupid as hell the day after the election, but any objective look at Trump paints a better picture of someone who supports gay rights when put up against Hillary.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Stexils posted:

so what evidence is there that trump is pro-gay. why are you reading him this way oxballs, what actual things has he done that are pro gay that can counter his atrocious cabinet and vice president.

Fair question. Trump was pro-gay marriage back before even Obama/Clinton were. He gave no fucks, he wrote an entire blog on it and publicly said lots of good things about Elton John, and his partner. He's been very openly supportive of gay people for a long time and I think it's personal and not some focus group testing thing.

Now I've got a question for you. If Trump/Pence are so anti-gay what have they done since taking office that is anti gay? What anti gay plans do you think they have?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Stexils posted:

i don't think trump is anti-gay, i think he doesn't care. meaning that if the house and senate pass a bill that, i dunno, redefines hate crimes to make it easier to assault gay people without getting charged with that, i don't think trump would care enough to veto it. he's not going to make a speech blasting the gay community but he's not going to lift a finger to help them either. which is mostly materially the same as clinton since with a republican house/senate her hands would be mostly tied. the reason i think this is because many of his cabinet picks and pence have histories of being anti-lgbt and it obviously didn't matter enough for him to pick someone else. i think this is a lot more relevant to his current positions than years old articles.

pence on the other hand is largely powerless right now, so i don't think he has any current plans. if trump gets impeached (looking more likely every day since idiot democrats seem to think it would hand them the next 4 years on a platter for some asinine reason) he's not going to be rounding up gay people into camps but he'll probably be strongly in favor of removing protections for them in the workplace at the very least. im sure hes drooling at the thought of possibly getting a supreme court justice who would undo the gay marraige ruling.

So nothing. Got it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

RaySmuckles posted:

...is it looking more and more like trump will get impeached? how the gently caress are the dems going to pull that off when the republicans control both legislatures? does anyone think the republicans would be stupid enough to damage their brand by impeaching one of their own, even if they hate him? wouldn't impeaching him make pence president which would be worse because then the republicans can just have a field day of passing their heinous poo poo without fearing the condemnation of being associated with trump?

i thought the russia stuff was mostly blowing over since there is no hard evidence connecting trump to russia. its the democrats benghazi. sure, maybe some questionable stuff happened, but lol if you think its going to bring someone powerful down

Wait, what on Earth would Trump be impeached for? Did he get a blowjob?

je1 healthcare posted:

If Trump wasn't willing to flip his position on gays during the campaign, when he actually needed to hoodwink the base, then it's less likely he would do it now. It's a move that would only benefit the democrat base at this point, when republicans are aware they might face a backlash in the next midterms and are laser-focused on other, more terrible things.

IDK. 30% of the Democrats are still against gay marriage so maybe he could get them to become Republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

je1 healthcare posted:

And 30% of republicans are in support of it, and more are becoming indifferent. Karl Rove managed to use the specter of gay marriage to help re-elect Bush in 2004, when anti-gay policies were twice as popular. It was an empty promise back then and now the GOP can't be bothered with the empty promise aspect anymore. The worst we'll get is them heel-digging on whether gender reassignment surgery becomes an insurance mandate, and both parties want transgender issues to remain a state issue

Actually the republicans are closer to 50% in support of it.

• Locked thread