Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

nigga crab pollock posted:

hillary is questionably senile and probably doesn't have control over her bowel movements or the fine motor control of her lower extremities but that didn't stop them from trying
I thought that was kinda the point. A 70-year joke in the making. Are you telling me she actually thought she stood a chance?

Jesus. That's just cruel of them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Lol now Bernie's got the evangelicals mad at him because he doesn't believe in their bullshit religion.

Hail Satan. Feel the Bern.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
^^ What Homestar said. Also:

Cnut the Great posted:

Christianity is the only path to salvation--which is, you know, a central tenet of the Christian religion?
It generally depends on which branch of which sect you speak to, but in my experience even congregations can be divided on such matters. Even though Roman Catholics will, for instance, maintain "We believe in one God, the Father and the Almighty" et cetera, that's just rote profession. The same people will have very different opinions out and about or in their own homes. The Senator was asking a direct question about an action the man had taken, not just some tenet he may or may not have believed. If anyone was being stupid, it was the mincing little nitwit (Vought) for dodging a simple question with zero finesse.

He believes people who aren't Christian are dross, unsalvageable. Someone who believes that and is dumb enough to admit it is surely unfit to govern a diverse populace. Thus, he got the old shutdown.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Except that the quote was lifted from an article the man wrote defending his alma mater for firing a teacher. The teacher in question was exercising their constitutionally protected freedom of speech, but that seemed not to accord with the articles of faith at said school. If the man is willing to blackball someone out of a job for saying that Christians and Muslims pray to the same God, what reason do I have to believe he will keep an objective view of things in office?

So which is it? Do we side with the constitution and reinstate the teacher or do we let someone who lets the Bible advise his work in to a secular position?

e. By the way

dross, noun - something regarded as worthless; rubbish.

If someone "stands condemned" it means they're off to hell. It's not a misrepresentation. He said it himself, he was just too chickenshit to repeat it because he knew that was the object of Sanders' line of questioning.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 10, 2017

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The motherfucker is saying that HE has the right to believe whatever, but gently caress that other dude and his opinions. Christians are also supposed not to judge, but to leave judgement to God. He is a piece of poo poo and a weasel and he shouldn't hold office. End of story.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
"Hey, you can't bring your different faiths into our Christian environment! Begone, sinner!"

"What? I act as a Christian should! Why bar me from office for not having the slightest tolerance for others? BIGOT."

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah, the actions he took in defending the questionable dismissal would have been a good line of argument for Bernie to focus on, rather than getting sidetracked and attacking the guy for quoting Jesus. It's a little something called "strategy", I don't know if you've heard of it but it's something we're probably going to need to focus on going forward.
It's the same strategy I'm applying to this conversation. It was also the undercurrent of the interview. I assume the assembled had been apprised of the details, so Bernie decided to cut to the chase. Throwing out a bunch of chaff and talking like a broken record seems to be all the dude had on his internal teleprompter. So much for strategy.

I admire a little smarts in my politicians, don't you?

As far as your reservations go, I agree that people's faith should not be a reason to keep them from office. That would indeed be un-American. However, this individual has already shown he is willing to defend a school that makes an equally disturbing move. Presumably he lent his support because he felt they needed it. Okay. That political move is an indicator for his future actions. It is well within reason to think the guy will apply similar standards to the job he's applying for.

And I seriously doubt hellfire scares Homestar Runner or me any more than it does you or Senator Sanders. What the man does in this *life* is what affects us and that was the crux of it, no matter how it appeared in the brief committee hearing we saw.

e. He also said Muslims didn't know God and were "deficient". I don't recall Jesus saying that.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Homestar Runner posted:

are u not aware of the separation of church and state or something

idgaf what people believe until they politicise it for the obvious end game of dividing people up

Exactly. He cost someone their job. For trying to bring people together, of all things. So gently caress him.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
We're at an impasse. Vought has the right to his well-thought-out opinions and we have the right to shut him down. Turnabout is fair play.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Im pretty sure conversion therapy doesn't actually work no matter how many volts you use

Of course not. Conversion therapists just detest gay people and want to rationalize inflicting pain on them. "The object of torture is torture."

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
"Trump won because people are stupid, ergo Hillary lost because she is too smart."

How many fallacies can you fit into one theory?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Kainser posted:

I mean, Winston Churchill managed to lose an election right after winning WW2 which seems like a pretty Jeb! move.
“Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.

...Please clap."

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Blue Train posted:

Mitt was poo poo

8. "My dad, as you probably know, was the governor of Michigan and was the head of a car company. But he was born in Mexico... and had he been born of, uh, Mexican parents, I'd have a better shot at winning this. But he was unfortunately born to Americans living in Mexico. He lived there for a number of years. I mean, I say that jokingly, but it would be helpful to be Latino." -Mitt Romney, in leaked comments from a Florida fundraiser, May 17 2012

Fun fact: a couple generations ago many Mormons moved to Mexico in protest to United States anti-polygamy laws. Also laws against marrying children. I'm sure that's not Mitt's legacy, though. He's a piece of poo poo by his own merit.

People laugh at Trump's spray-tan and rightly so, but Mitt was the guy who used it once only because he had an interview on Univision. He shoulda just talked through a puppet or some poo poo...

e. Not saying it's legal to be a polygamist or a child-fucker in Mexico. I'm pretty sure it isn't. However, it was easier for them to avoid scrutiny in a place where their bad rep didn't follow them.

I am however saying there are too many puppets in Mexico and this must be stopped.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 11, 2017

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Good their jobs will be lost forever as we ship more overseas and automate the rest.

So you're pro-slavery as long as it's not Americans doing the enslaving. Check.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I'm pro free market labor regulations are communism and anything that stands in the way of obtaining capital is inherently immoral

I'm all for enslaving poors in this country because they don't have enough money to be considered people
Admit it, you don't even have a goal here except trying to troll people with whose politics you disparage.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Okay, so your think now is impersonating von Ribbentropp evidently.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Tut tut. You give yourself too little credit.

People like you are a very big reason that Trump won. Don't sell yourself short.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Stexils posted:

in fairness theyre typically correct
Nope.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Creamed Cormp posted:

In this thread, some dumbshit liberal keeps embarassing himself by showing he doesn't understand that it's entirely possible to be against unrestricted capitalism and also to be a nationalist. It's quite sad really.

He also doesn't understand that criticism and mockery of his abuelita doesn't necessarily mean endorsement of the worst aspects of the Trump presidency.
This, while completely true, is hardly confined to this thread.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Stop punching yourself mordor.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Blue Train posted:

It is disgusting how this brave, strong woman was betrayed first by her husband and then by the nation
On the night of Bill's inauguration, Hillary quietly arranged for all of her former slaves to be put to death and buried on a small piece of undeveloped land 30 miles outside of Little Rock. They were all thanked for their loyalty, beheaded and a clove of garlic was placed in each of their mouths to prevent them rising evermore.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The Clinton name had more power to it back then, but they've been well-connected for a while. They are certainly not on the outside looking in, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Creepy.

• Locked thread