Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Sampatrick posted:

I'm still confused by why Nissa is suddenly blue and not racist. Nissa as an Elf Planeswalker was way more interesting than Nissa as generic naturey Planeswalker.

They made Garruk evil and needed a new green planeswalker for the hex-men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Tired: The Reserved List is good because it helps cards maintain their value.

Wired: The Reserved List is good because it pushes eternal players onto MTGO, which is superior to paper Magic.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Might as well just ban the concept of fun

Worked for Standard.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/april-24-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-04-24

Announcement Date: April 24, 2017

Standard:

No changes

Modern:

No changes

Legacy:

Sensei's Divining Top is banned.

Vintage:

Gitaxian Probe is restricted.

Gush is restricted.

Effective Date: April 24, 2017

Magic Online Effective Date: April 24, 2017

The list of all banned and restricted cards, by format, is here.

Next B&R Announcement: June 14, 2017 (Effective date for that announcement will be June 19, after Grand Prix Las Vegas)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I'm crying irl

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

It was pretty obvious when they lied about the format in the last banlist update their plan was "hope Amonkhet fixes it" and the pro tour is the only thing that'll convince them it didn't. I hope those goofs got lucky.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

What's Vintage going to look like without the Mentor decks?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

This might've been the best move they could've made at this point but they had to clown themselves to hell and back to get to this point in the first place.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

INN-RTR owned because it had Esper Sphinx's Rev decks with Nephalia Drownyard as a win condition.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I'm not interested until he reviews Mein Kampf

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

How popular is MTGO Commander anyway?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is a 1v1 focused list, you know.

You know.

Seriously is there a place where I can see what cards aren't on MTGO, I am seriously confused about not banning Vampiric Tutor/Imperial Seal.

They're both on MTGO, I've seen them in Vintage lists. I assume that a big part of it is they're both way cheaper online than in paper and tutoring is way less of a hassle with instant shuffling and the ability to see your entire deck at a glance.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

They're also literally the most powerful tutors and a gigantic push towards black commanders that others can't match.

And there's two.

Yeah but those are good things. Eat poo poo, everyone else.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

mossyfisk posted:

Every time I see a Magic argument caused by differing understanding of the term 'fair' in context, I take a drink.

That's fair.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I hate mixed-format PTs. I always show up really prepared for the slow dance but I'm just totally clueless in draft.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

mcmagic posted:

gently caress this stupid deck.

It's like watching someone pulling on a slot machine that's going to just shoot you in the face 65% of the time

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Madmarker posted:

Truth............I would kill to see Wrath of God reprinted...let alone Damnation.

And again, we have a set with literal indestructible Gods who would flavorfully survive these wraths and it would make sense to have these cards reprinted in.....but no dice (and no, Invocations don't count)

A cheaper wrath would be cool but it wouldn't do anything about how many threats can dodge sorcery speed destruction. I think something like Rout, Merciless Eviction, or Planar Cleansing would be better for Standard right now than Wrath or Damnation.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

mailorder bees! posted:

oh please no. EVERYTHING went to time that year.

It's not my fault they won't concede in the mirror when I have more Countefluxes than they have win cons.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Finally, can someone answer me this:
How isn't Maze of Ith restricted and why doesn't every deck have four of them?

Maze of Ith is really powerful but there are a lot of decks that just don't care about it and the decks that ought to care about it usually either a) get value from just having creatures on the board b) can flood the board to go around the Maze c) have Wasteland. It's an extremely powerful but situational card which is why you typically only see it as a 1-of in decks that can tutor for it.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

If they're going to keep printing knock-the-top-of-your-deck card advantage/mana engines like CoCo and Marvel there's no real reason they can't reprint Miracles in Standard.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Yes. And Copter and Reflector Mage and Guardian.

That said I'm not sure "I'm sick of Marvel, please unban Emrakul" really makes sense either.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I was never not sick of Marvel.... the card and the game play it fosters is horrible.

That wasn't my point - unbanning Emrakul would just make Marvel both better and more annoying to play/play against.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Star Man posted:

So if Marvel gets banned, what's the next card we bitch about?

Is Fatal Push $10 yet?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mark Rosewater posted:

Several weeks ago, I said that we were taking steps to improve the processes behind the scenes in R&D to ensure that we don’t repeat some of our mistakes of the last year. I’m happy today to talk about one of these changes – the creation of a new group within R&D called Play Design.

The purpose of Play Design is to be a group solely dedicated to the health of tournament environments, to make sure that playing Magic in structured settings is as enjoyable as possible. This will, of course, impact the quality of these formats even for players playing outside of tournaments.

We recently hired Dan Burdick to run this team and are currently staffing it up. This has included moving current R&D members onto the team as well as converting two of our playtesters (welcome Pro Tour 8’ers Melissa DeTora and Andrew Brown) into fulltime employees. We are also looking for additional experienced players outside of Wizards to bring onto the team.

Besides having a team solely focused on this task, we’re also changing how we build sets from the ground up to make sure that Play Design is involved at every step. Design, for example, will be working with Play Design to make sure that we are creating mechanics that can be properly balanced.

Dan is just settling in, but he’ll be writing an article (appearing in June, I believe) that will formally introduce the team and explain its philosophy.

Another layer of people besides core designers to blame if future formats suck!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Siivola posted:

That seems like a... Good development?

It does, though like AceClown says throwing more people in the hopper isn't going to necessarily solve anything if their processes suck and they're resistant to real change, so time'll tell if they've really learned much.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I want to see and play that terrible Legacy Black Devotion deck so much.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

If you ever tweet about Magic at all even slightly, odds are he's found your account by keyword searching and followed you to try to get you to follow back, probably multiple times.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

What the gently caress.

Of all the bad opinions & ideas you have, Mr. Calciform Pools calling the third fourth funniest MTG guy behind this, this, and Trick Jarrett unfunny is, just, what?

He's right.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, that standard had GR Monsters (Polukranos into Stormbreath), UW Control, Mono-B, Mono-U, and RDW all as Tier 1 decks. Complaining about that Standard is just weird.

People complained at the time mainly because while it was a really good Standard in terms of diversity of deck types etc. it also stayed roughly the same for the entire year. This was a complaint from pro players that trickled down into the wider population, and it's a fair cop, but yeah I think RTR-THS was unfairly maligned at the time and I'm glad history has rehabilitated it some.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

The fact it stayed the same so long might have been what killed the three-set blocks. BOTG and JIN did gently caress-all with the format because virtually all of the good cards were in Theros proper.

Elspeth, Sun's Champion is my favorite Planeswalker of all time. I just loved resolving that card, and unlike something like Gideon, she wasn't really that oppressive because Thoughtseize and Hero's Downfall existed.

BNG sucking is definitely what killed the three-set block. That set just didn't do anything anybody wanted.

My favorite thing about the format was how affordable it was. Not only could you play basically the same deck all year but the only real money cards were Thoughtseize and Mutavault.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

One-drop mana dorks like 4-mana wraths are in the list of things Development decided was too constraining for Standard to have around all the time.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

Originally the article said "a bunch of which you'll hear about later today", which is why I've been waiting for more stuff to drop.

I assume the decision to switch from an Announcement Day to an Announcement Week happened after Maro wrote his article. He writes them like 3 or 4 weeks in advance.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

Could it be a non-Jace planeswalker that makes Jace tokens for some reason or other or specifically hates on Jace because he's an rear end in a top hat

It's probably the famed Jace PW who finally does illusion magic.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Jabor posted:

Do you consider Goblin King only buffing Goblins (instead of all red creatures or whatever) to also be a clumsy namedrop?

Also gainsay wasn't exactly a "fringe" sideboard card last time it was in Standard.

Hopefully this time around two of the top three decks will be U/W Control and Mono-Blue again.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Weren't there supposed to be Hour of Devastation spoilers today?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Tainen posted:

Newbie question. Let's say your opponent is attacking with a glorybringer. Can I defend with this card then exert it to cause the one extra damage so the glorybringer dies as well? I feel like on streams I have seen people activate card abilities as they are about to die / be exiled but I am not quite sure which abilities can and can't be used like that.

Yes and no. Activating abilities after blocks are declared works like you want it to, but Fervent Paincaster can't block Glorybringer in the first place because Glorybringer has flying.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

uninverted posted:

Could T1 mana creature, T2 counter your fetchland be a real thing in modern?

Shadow of Doubt does the same thing with less work and that effect has only seen rare play in Modern.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I remember them specifically saying a couple years ago that they weren't going to do half-cycles anymore because it causes too many issues. Then all the changes started to come down the pipe, and apparently, they said "gently caress it!" because now we've had three of the last four as incomplete cycles (with the fourth finishing an incomplete cycle from like a decade ago).

That was when they were planning to titrate rare duals out through all three sets of a block. Thing is, that only lasted one three-set block before they stopped doing those.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

i thought they were switching to single set draft format

Not until Dominaria next Spring, there's still Amonkhet and Ixalan as old-model two-set blocks to push out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Voyager I posted:

Someone should make a deck with Ancestral Visions, Mishra's Bauble, and a whole buncha Pacts as some kind of weighted training deck for upkeep triggers.