Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Went 4-0 with this lot yesterday. Samut is a monster if left unchecked, and Glorybringer is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Out of curiousity, did you feel like you got any value out of the artifacts?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Eela6 posted:

I don't play Legacy. Care to sum up the arguments for/against a ban?

It's best comparison is Smugglers Copter in standard. It's too powerful in comparison to the input cost of playing it. Every fair deck plays it and it's too ubiquitous.

Siivola posted:

Pyramid is insane but I think the monuments are pretty unplayable. The whole cycle.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Banning DRS while not touching anything in miracles would be stupid as gently caress

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

born on a buy you posted:

Banning DRS while not touching anything in miracles would be stupid as gently caress

Well Top needs to go too...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

I've been hearing some stuff about DRS being banned from Legacy. I think it's a good idea.

I don't see how banning DRS does anything except making Reanimator the second best deck. If they're banning DRS, they're going to have to kill something from Miracles, probably Gitaxian Probe and Entomb, and actually this sounds really dumb, banning only DRS would make no sense though.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

mcmagic posted:

It's best comparison is Smugglers Copter in standard. It's too powerful in comparison to the input cost of playing it. Every fair deck plays it and it's too ubiquitous.

Pyramid is insane but I think the monuments are pretty unplayable. The whole cycle.

Miracles?

Ban DRS from being played with blue cards in legacy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dack Fayden in Vint, Gids is probably as close as we've gotten though in general and it's still a massive gulf

E: Free Dack Fayden, he's the hero Standard and Modern need

dack has the opposite problem of lili where he never broke out in legacy

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hellsau posted:

I don't see how banning DRS does anything except making Reanimator the second best deck. If they're banning DRS, they're going to have to kill something from Miracles, probably Gitaxian Probe and Entomb, and actually this sounds really dumb, banning only DRS would make no sense though.

DRS isn't keeping Reanimator down in Legacy. It's actually slow and bad GY hate. I'd say to ban DRS and Top.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

DRS isn't keeping Reanimator down in Legacy. It's actually slow and bad GY hate.

I don't think DRS helps reanimator and would be played regardless how it interacted with reanimator. Its just a nice, powerful bonus.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

DRS isn't keeping Reanimator down in Legacy. It's actually slow and bad GY hate. I'd say to ban DRS and Top.

DRS is the U/G/B/x midrange garbage decks' method of winning against Reanimator once you Force their first thing or if you can strip a key card with Thoughtseize to slow them down. If DRS wasn't in those decks, they'd have a zero percent game 1 winrate against Reanimator. Though I guess those decks just don't exist without DRS powering them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hellsau posted:

DRS is the U/G/B/x midrange garbage decks' method of winning once you Force their first thing or if you can strip a key card with Thoughtseize. If DRS wasn't in those decks, they'd have a zero percent game 1 winrate against Reanimator. Though I guess those decks just don't exist without DRS powering them.

I understand that but they are still major dogs in G1 vs reanimator and 60+% in G's 2 and 3. Sure DRS does pump that but that isn't the matchup I would say that DRS is overpowered in. It's just too ubiquitous.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Siivola posted:

Hazoret's Monument won me round 3 by digging for my second Manticore and doming for exactsies when I was at 2 life and facing a board of white God, indestructible angel, and a dozen other dudes. The pyramid was underwhelming unless I got it out super early. I'm not sure I'd run it again unless I was playing 3+ colours. I'd definitely play the white and red monuments again (played the white in 2hg, it was great although we didn't win a game :v: ). The green looks pretty solid too. Blue is meh, haven't looked at black.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I understand that but they are still major dogs in G1 vs reanimator and 60+% in G's 2 and 3. Sure DRS does pump that but that isn't the matchup I would say that DRS is overpowered in. It's just too ubiquitous.

DRS is pretty prolific, but that's because it's powerful enough to give people a reason to play a deck over just playing Miracles. The hybrid cost makes that card just show up everywhere.

Do you think Legacy is a better format, or a more fun to play format, if DRS and no other card gets banned? If they're going to finally ban Top then I agree that banning DRS is a good idea since it really will be ubiquitous, but it seems crazy that the conversation somehow came to banning DRS. Or is everyone assuming that now WotC will take a look at Legacy and say that Miracles just has too much presence and needs to have something banned from it, surely they won't just keep ignoring Legacy and let it play itself out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hellsau posted:

DRS is pretty prolific, but that's because it's powerful enough to give people a reason to play a deck over just playing Miracles. The hybrid cost makes that card just show up everywhere.

Do you think Legacy is a better format, or a more fun to play format, if DRS and no other card gets banned? If they're going to finally ban Top then I agree that banning DRS is a good idea since it really will be ubiquitous, but it seems crazy that the conversation somehow came to banning DRS. Or is everyone assuming that now WotC will take a look at Legacy and say that Miracles just has too much presence and needs to have something banned from it, surely they won't just keep ignoring Legacy and let it play itself out.

Yeah i think Legacy would be better without just DRS but it would be even better without DRS and Top.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Night Danger Moose posted:

Went 4-0 with this lot yesterday. Samut is a monster if left unchecked, and Glorybringer is great.

What RG cards did you not play, because all your 1 drops seem pretty suspect.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

blue monument did a lot of work for me in by U/B control deck, did real well in matches against people that played a lot of exert.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

I've been hearing some stuff about DRS being banned from Legacy. I think it's a good idea.

Same. And Terminus.

Eela6 posted:

I don't play Legacy. Care to sum up the arguments for/against a ban?

Pretty much the same as modern. It just goes in every deck and if it doesn't go in that deck the deck isn't good. Like even Miracles isn't favored against a lot of DRS decks and I generally refuse to admit that Miracles isn't favored against anything. Leovold kinda made it overbearing but Deathrite has always been the problem. It doesn't look so bad WRT diversity because there's like 5 different decks but they're all the same 50 cards and either a 10 card combo kill package, a Delver package, or some other midrange cards. I'd be willing to bet if you jam all those decks together it's a good deal more prevalent than Miracles.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Lol at banning a card in legacy for being too omnipresent that isn't Brainstorm.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Same. And Terminus.

Pretty much the same as modern. It just goes in every deck and if it doesn't go in that deck the deck isn't good. Like even Miracles isn't favored against a lot of DRS decks and I generally refuse to admit that Miracles isn't favored against anything. Leovold kinda made it overbearing but Deathrite has always been the problem. It doesn't look so bad WRT diversity because there's like 5 different decks but they're all the same 50 cards and either a 10 card combo kill package, a Delver package, or some other midrange cards. I'd be willing to bet if you jam all those decks together it's a good deal more prevalent than Miracles.

Every time someone says to ban Terminus over Top I lose about ~150 brain cells from slamming my head against the wall.

Marketing New Brain posted:

Lol at banning a card in legacy for being too omnipresent that isn't Brainstorm.

Brainstorm is too fun to ban.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
legacy would be much less fun without brainstorm

lol i guess mcmagic beat me to it, but he's right

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Went 4-0 today with B/G counters. Pulled hapatra, honored wurm, a bunch of the -1/-1 green counter uncommons, and a bunch of Black cycling stuff plus 3x final reward. Also had that hexproof lizard guy, which wrecks house every single game. Was tempted to go jund because I pulled a Samut as my promo, but the deck just wasn't consistent enough so I stuck with two colors. I feel like B/G could be viable enough for Standard, or maybe including some of the pieces in another deck. The creatures are efficient enough, in conjunction with the built in removal to turn the tide of games.

All of my matches were competitive, this is definitely a strong limited environment. Also I feel like Hazoret is gonna be a sleeper hit of the set; it's easier to turn on than it looks and the ability will quickly force some unpleasant choices.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Marketing New Brain posted:

Might as well just ban the concept of fun

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Force is in every blue deck. We should ban it for being too present.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Modern and standard would be better with Force

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Every time someone says to ban Terminus over Top I lose about ~150 brain cells from slamming my head against the wall.

Yeah it makes a lot more sense to ban the card that other decks use and nobody ever whines about in those decks and which was fine for years before a certain garbage mechanic was printed and not the card that makes it so control decks' traditionally bad matchups aren't actually bad matchups for the deck.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Without Top there would be no control deck in Legacy

E: Storm and Nic Fit both play it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah it makes a lot more sense to ban the card that other decks use and nobody ever whines about in those decks and which was fine for years before a certain garbage mechanic was printed and not the card that makes it so control decks' traditionally bad matchups aren't actually bad matchups for the deck.

What other decks play Top? It's a 1 of in like 2 random decks. It's THE reason Miracles is a gameplay abomination.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Might as well just ban the concept of fun

Worked for Standard.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

Top isn't that, it's an abomination of sin that should never see the light of day. That it was reprinted in eternal masters instead of being sent into the desert to die should be investigated & prosecuted like a first degree murder imo.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Went 2-1-1, tie would have been a win if I were less bad at magic

Rhohas is busted though lol

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Unban all cards and ban all Magic players.

Also lol at listening to people that talk up playing a Walking Ballista for zero on turn one just to get a turn one Bone Picker. Yes, please. Do it against me all day long so I can feed your ..::[Black Delver]:.. a Shock the first turn it attacks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Without Top there would be no control deck in Legacy

E: Storm and Nic Fit both play it

Nic Fit is not a deck in legacy and Storm plays 1. That is not enough of a reason to keep it around.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Q: Am I insane?
A: Yes

currently 1-1

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 23, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Make Kefnet Great Again

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

My only regret is that I've only won through combat damage so far. One person is gonna take a wild ride before the day is done.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
There was a wotc person spellslinging at the lgs who had a sealed deck that was 1 drake haven, 1 faith of the devoted, 1 archfiend of ifnir, land, and the rest cyclers. It was so stupid and good.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Currently 2-1, Rhonas is busted. Hepatra probably isn't busted but she's both very good and super fun. Also I don't think any of my opponents were adding cards to their sealed decks but I never do so maybe I'm just gullible

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have high hopes for this set as a great draft format. The exert mechanic makes it so a lot of little creatures have a better chance of getting through or trading up every other turn, which helps with board stalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

There was a wotc person spellslinging at the lgs who had a sealed deck that was 1 drake haven, 1 faith of the devoted, 1 archfiend of ifnir, land, and the rest cyclers. It was so stupid and good.

I had drake haven but not enough cyclers. :(